An Echo in the Mafia (Echo Re...

By losautenticos

Echo wasn't like her sisters. She knew that when people talked about the famous and fabulous Reid sisters, th... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 65
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68
Part 69
Part 70
Part 71
Part 72
Part 73
Epilogue
Luke
First Times
Echo
The Next time

Part 60

129K 5.4K 440
By losautenticos

"What about... this one?" Adelia said with a smile as she pulled a dress out from the back of her closet. She held it in front of her, twirling around as she watched herself in the mirror. 

"It's nice." Echo said softly, watching the excitement in her eyes. Adelia was really looking forward to Christmas with her family.  "You're going to look so cute."

Adelia frowned, lifting her chin. 

"Cute is for babies." Adelia said, deciding she would take it anyway. She gently removed the hanger as she lay it on the bed. 

"Cute can apply to anyone in the right moment." Echo said and Adelia smiled back at her. 

"I bet Luke thinks you're cute." Adelia said, jumping on the bed and laying down next to Echo. She noted immediately how her expression changed and regretted it. Adelia wasn't stupid, as much as Echo had smiled and tried to pretend like nothing was going on, there was definitely something wrong. 

It wasn't just that Luke was never around, he'd been working long days ever since the wedding, but for the last two days she hadn't seen him at all except for once at breakfast. Adelia wasn't usually up that early, she was more of a brunch person, but that day she'd made it downstairs early. 

She couldn't understand it. Anytime she accidentally stumbled onto Echo and Luke alone, it was to find them in an embarrassing moment. Usually something like a kiss, or a hug, they type of thing she would rather not witness. For the most part, Adelia would just back up and out of the room, leaving them to enjoy some time alone, after all, they were newly weds.  That morning.... Well, it was worse than if she had caught them arguing 

She hadn't seen much, had only caught an angry Luke practically shoving Echo away as she tried to talk to him. There had been some silence, followed by Echo asking when he'd be home. Luke slammed his coffee mug down before crowding Echo into the corner. Adelia knew she should have said something, should have walked into the room, tried to break the tension but she was scared. Adelia was scared because she had never seen this side of Luke and she wasn't sure what he would do next. She clenched her hands, prepared to storm in and save Echo if she had to but all Luke had down was stare. 

He'd stared her down coldly, any other woman, any other person, would have cowered but Echo was firm. She lifted her chin and face him directly, daring him. Luke brought a hand up, his knuckles just barely grazing her cheek, the fingers twitching as they skimmed over her skin.  Then, he shuffled away, grabbing his jacket. 

"I'll be home when I'm home." He said, stalking out. Adelia hid behind the door, waiting for Luke to pass before turning back into the kitchen. Echo was just standing there, a hand over her chest, taking deep breaths as if she was trying to clam herself. Then, with a deep sigh, she broke into sobs, soft sobs, silent sobs. 

Adelia didn't have the heart to intrude, she wanted to give Echo her space. But that didn't mean she didn't want to give Luke a piece of her mind. There was no reason to be so cold, especially to Echo who was must too nice. She'd been killing herself the last week trying to get his Christmas present ready- she certainly didn't deserve that. 

"Are you guys all packed up?" Adelia asked. They were heading to the Reid house to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas night. Echo sat up. 

"No, but I'll toss a bag together quickly." Echo said, "I suppose I could help Luke get packed."

"No need." 

Echo and Adelia both turned, finding Luke peeking into the room, his hands shoved deeply into his pockets. His tie was loose around his neck and it looked like he hadn't shave in days. 

"Oh?" Echo asked, raising her brow. "Are you packed then? I guess I'm the only one who waits until the last minute."

Echo stood, preparing to walk around Luke and towards their bed room but his hand on her arm stopped her. 

"No." He said, pulling her back into the room gently. "I meant no need. We're not going."

Echo tilted her head to the side. 

"I'm sorry, what?" Echo replied. 

"Oh no!" Adelia said, jumping up from the bed. "Why not?"

"Because I said so." Luke said, turning on his heel and leaving the room. Echo stared after him for a bit, poking her head out into the hall. Adelia's room was straight down the hall from theirs, at the opposite end of the house and a turn away. Echo hadn't missed that this house was laid out strangely, but she found it was part of it's charm. 

"Are we really not going?" Adelia asked, looking at Echo 

"I..." Echo opened her mouth, unsure what to say. She turned to Adelia and smiled. "Why don't you finish up? I'll go sort this out."

Before Adelia could respond, Echo was moving quickly down the hall. She wasn't sure what she was going to say but she knew she had to say something.  As she made it to their room door, she could hear him moving around inside, carelessly tossing things around. The last two nights, Luke hadn't come home at all. He'd kept his distance and she hadn't even noticed when he would go  in to change or shower. 

As she opened the door and stepped in, Luke turned towards her for a brief moment before going back into the closet. Echo closed the door behind her, glancing around, completely nonplussed by the chaos. The bed spread was pulled off onto the floor, there were pillows strewn about and now, Luke, the notoriously neat Luke, walked back into the room and began pulling the sheets next. 

"Luke." Echo said, watching as he picked up pillows and pulled them out of their case. He ignored her, and continued bunching up the sheets. 

"Luke we changed those just a couple of days ago." She said. He shrugged, moving back into the closet with the bunch in his arms. Echo followed him, watching as he dumped the sheets into the corner and then pulled a fresh pair out of the linen closet. Whatever he was doing, it was no use talking to him. Echo sighed, moving to her side of the closet and pulling out a weekend bag. She silently began to rummage through the drawers, deciding what to pack. 

"What are you doing?" He asked, watching as she folded items and neatly packed them. Echo didn't look up at him, deciding that if he was going to be a stubborn jackass that wouldn't talk to her, she could do the same. 

"What does it look like I'm doing?" She asked, beginning to sort through her new clothes for something to wear to Christmas dinner. 

"I said we're not going." Luke said, practically snatching a dress from her hands. Echo didn't turn. She just continued to shuffle through the closet. 

"I heard what you said." She replied, "But I don't agree."

"You don't agree?" He asked,throwing the dress on the ground. Echo turned to face him for a second before moving to pick up the dress and smooth it out. 

"I don't know what your problem is, I'm not a mind reader. I won't know what's wrong unless you talk to me." She said, "I also don't like the way you've acting."

"and how's that?" He replied. 

"Oh please, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Your attitude is ridiculous and I'm not putting up with it." She said, rolling her eyes and deciding to taking the dress with her. She gently folded it and placed it in the bag before turning to find a matching pair of shoes. It was a shame. She'd been pleasantly surprised to find that Luke had the closet fitted for her and her items. He moved half his things to make room for her- it made her so happy when she saw it. 

"So that's it? You're leaving me?" He asked, making her turn to him with a frown. 

"Leaving you? God, you're being awful but I'm not leaving. I'm going to my parent's house for Christmas, like we decided we would." She said, continuing with her packing. 

"And I decided we're not going after all." He said, gritting his teeth. 

"You decided you're not going. I am." She said, "And don't you dare try to stop me."

"Baby, you're forgetting who you're talking to. I'm in charge here, what I say... goes." He said, reaching towards her but she pulled away before he could touch her. 

"I know exactly who you are." Echo snapped, loosing her temper. "I knew exactly who you were before and I know who you are now. If you think I'm going to just roll over and let you tell me what to do, you're wrong. You're kidding yourself."

"Echo... I'm talking to you." Luke said as she began walking into the restroom. 

"I can hear you. I'm not deaf." She snipped. "If you don't want to go to my parent's house after you told them you would, don't. I'm not even sure I want you around."

"Of course not. Sorry to disappoint but prince charming isn't coming back for a while." He said, referring to Marco. Echo turned to look at him, surprise in her eyes. She watched how the scar on his face was ticking, his eyes were so dark, full of pain. He was in pain, he was hurting. Her gaze softened and she reached out impulsively, placing her hand to his cheek, trying to soothe the ticking. He didn't move, he didn't push her away and as she stepped closer to him, she searched his gaze. 

"Luke, what's going on?" She asked, her voice low. "Please tell me what's going on."

Luke closed his eyes, relishing the feel of her hands on his skin. Then he heard it, the sound of Grace's voice reminding him what he knew.  He reached up, his eyes snapping open as he snatched her hands off of him and pushed her away. Echo stumbled, more out of shock than actual force, and landed with a gentle thud on the edge of the tub. 

Neither of them moved for a second, but they continued to stare, both thinking she was lucky to have caught herself instead of hitting the ground. 

"You're okay." Luke wasn't sure if it was a questions or a statement. 

"I'm okay." She repeated, standing up slowly and straightening herself out. "I'm going to finish packing."

Luke didn't say anything as she walked out

----

Echo sat silently on her parent's terrace. She stared out towards the pool which was glistening under the moonlight. It was late, everyone was in bed. 

Tomorrow morning, she'd have to explain to them that Luke and Adelia weren't coming. She'd say that Luke had been detained and that Adelia stayed behind to keep him company. She'd tell them she wanted to stay too but Luke had insisted that he would try to make it. She'd smile and laugh and participate in all the silly things they had planned. She would say she was fine, happier than ever. 

If they had asked her just a week ago, it would have been true. She supposed it was only half a lie. 

If she had left North Town earlier, she would have made it before they went to bed but the truth was that she didn't want them to see her. She'd spent the entire drive, comfortably crying her eyes out. She didn't allow herself to cry while Luke was in the house and she didn't dare  do it in front of Adelia. She held it in, finished packing her bag and then went upstairs to talk to the girl. 

She felt so guilty telling her that she was going, even considered telling her to come with her and let Luke stew on his own. But she couldn't. Adelia wasn't hers, she wasn't her sister and Echo wasn't her guardian. It wouldn't be right. Instead, she hugged Adelia tightly and told her that she should keep Luke company. He was going through a hard time and shouldn't be left alone. 

What a sweet girl. She'd smiled and told Echo not to worry about her. She would make sure that Luke wasn't alone. 

Echo sighed, tucking her knees up to her chest and hugging them tightly as she rested her chin on them. She was in a house full of people who loved her, she knew that after Ben and George arrived, she wouldn't get even a moment alone. But he was missing. Somehow, that was enough to make her the loneliest woman in the world. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 274 32
Warning This story it's for mental and emotional mature audience (18 and up) the contain is following: Strong language Graphic violence Nudity Drugs ...
1.1M 23.8K 30
"I want to go back to my old ways." Ezra said in a monotone. It felt like he held no emotion. I stood dumbfounded not knowing what to do? "I tried yo...
9.9M 280K 54
"I don't know who you think you are coming here, and acting like you don't care about anything. Now listen here Princess, because I'm not going to re...
66.4K 3.2K 46
[COMPLETED] Three years ago, she ran away from something she doesn't want to go back to, and never looked back. But that doesn't mean she's safe. 21...