Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

Deception:

284 12 14
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Dimitri:

Dimitri laid on his bed, hours passed and still sleep evaded him. It's not that the dead were bothering him at the moment, it was Dimitri's own thoughts that plagued him.

It was about what Claude had said while they were in Byleth's room thinking of a plan that would help them spare Mercedes's Brother. Claude mentioned that they had been trying to find methods to spare them, and it struck Dimitri they really did not want to fight them. They must have known that the situation in the Kingdom was far more dire than theirs and that it wasn't even an option to spare them. Dimitri had walked onto that field ready to kill whoever crossed his path, and he did.

Dimitri rubbed his face and groaned. How could he have been so stupid. Of course, they had been trying to spare them, that's all Byleth would talk about, how to make it so everyone lives.

Ok, sleep isn't going to happen then. Dimitri sat up and got out of bed, he needed to clear his mind. Dimitri got up and began to wander the grounds of the monastery, he ended up at the training grounds.

And to Dimitri's surprise he wasn't the only one who was there, Jeralt was there having a go at one of the training dummies. Jeralt looked at Dimitri, "Hey there kid" he said and stopped swinging his lance "Don't you have to leave early?" he asked. Dimitri nodded, "Jesh, still have trouble sleeping?" he asked.

"Yeah..." Dimitri sighed.

Jeralt frowned at him, "Alright, give it up" Jeralt said "What's wrong?" he asked.

Dimitri lowered his head, "I was thinking about everything that Byleth and Claude went through to ensure that they didn't injure anyone from the Kingdom" he said softly.

Jeralt nodded, "Yeah, I remember" he said "Those two were hell bent on making sure all of you made it out of that battle" Jeralt added.

Dimitri nodded and rubbed his forehead, "So I've heard" he sighed "And while we were in the Kingdom all we did was plan how to kill them" he spat.

Jeralt placed his hand on Dimitri's shoulder, "Dimitri, thinking of those things will get you nowhere" Jeralt said "Sure you guys planned to kill them but you weren't able to" he said "Everyone is still alive and well" he added.

Thanks to Byleth, Dimitri thought and nodded his head, "You're right" he said "Thank you Jeralt" he added.

Jeralt nodded, "Listen Dimitri I know that a lot of you are going to be gone, and I wanted to ask please make sure Byleth doesn't push herself too much" he said "And that you both come back in one piece" he added.

Dimitri smiled, "We will Jeralt, I swear I won't let anything happen to her" he said.

"Good" Jeralt said then patted Dimitri's shoulder, "Now go and get some rest, you have a long trip ahead of you" he said then went back to swinging his lance at the training dummy.

Dimitri turned around and left from the training grounds, the air of the monastery had a chill to it, but it was nothing like the chilly air of Faerghus.

Faerghus... Oh how much he misses his home.

He'd never really thought about it in the five years that he'd been on the run, sure he knew that that wrenched Woman stole his homeland from him, but he never really thought about it. The cool nights in Fhirdiad, his Father... Dimitri sighed.

He tried to remember anything about him, but all that came to mind is his last words telling Dimitri to avenge him, all of them. And to think Patricia was behind it this whole time, it's devastating.

All of Dimitri's life, his Father's closest friends Rodrigue, Margrave Gautier, Count Galatea they always told Dimitri how his Father was such a good man. But... Dimitri wishes he would have gotten to see that for himself, gotten to know him more and seen it for himself. All that he has of his Father left is the verbal berating from the ghost of his Father.

No, there is no use thinking about these things.

Dimitri continued to his room, he needed to try to get as much rest as he could before Dedue showed up in the morning to wake him up.

Once in his room he laid down and slowly drifted off to sleep.

(The next morning)

Dimitri woke up to a knock on his door, "Your Highness" he knew it was Dedue and so he got out of bed and went to open the door.

"Good morning Dedue" Dimitri said as Dedue entered his room.

"Good Morning Your Highness, did you sleep well?" Dedue asked.

Dimitri rubbed the back of his head, "Not exactly" he replied "Also how many times must I tell you just call me Dimitri" he said sternly.

Dedue shook his head, "I am sorry Your Highness, but I cannot do that" he responded, Dimitri sighed he knew that Dedue would say that. "Are you prepared for our journey?" Dedue asked.

Dimitri nodded, "Yes, I am" he said.

"Good, I'll take your luggage" Dedue said.

Dimitri frowned, "Dedue I am more than capable to carry my own supplies" he said sternly.

Dedue shook his head then grabbed Dimitri's supplies and left.

Dimitri sighed he really should have seen that coming, Dedue has been with him for years now and still they have this barrier between them that prevents Dedue from viewing Dimitri as a friend only as his liege.

He shook his head and began to change into his armor then left to meet everyone at the stables.

Pretty much everyone was going except for Jeralt, Alois, Yuri and those who stay in the Abyss, and some other soldiers so they could hold down the fort while they're away.

The sun was beginning to rise as Dimitri reached the stables and to his surprise there were already a fair amount of their army waiting there, horses with carts behind them were lined up and ready to go.

Dimitri looked around, off in the corner he could see Byleth having a conversation with her Father most likely about her coming back safe.

"Good morning Your Highness" Sylvain calls out then walks beside Dimitri and glances at where Dimitri had been looking moments ago, he shot Dimitri a knowing smile.

Dimitri had a bad feeling about that smile, it normally meant Sylvain was about to butt into his personal affairs.

He nods to Sylvain, "Good morning, Sylvain" he replied, hoping that maybe, just maybe Sylvain will drop it and let Dimitri off without having dragged him into some romantic scheme.

Sylvain wiggles his eyebrows at Dimitri, "So, are you going to go and talk to her?" he asked.

Dimitri shook his head, "No, she is speaking with her Father at the moment" he said "I do not wish to intrude" he added.

Sylvain looked over to Byleth and Jeralt, "Hmm, I think he's leaving her already" he said while rubbing his chin "We best head over there now before anyone else takes up her time" he added then took off in her direction.

Dimitri stood dumbfounded for a moment, Sylvain was right however by the time he reached Byleth, Jeralt had already left. And so, Dimitri went over there as well.

"Byleth, you're looking lovely as always," Sylvain said as Dimitri stood beside him.

Byleth's face remained neutral, "I wonder how Ingrid would take to you saying things like that to other Women" she said bluntly.

Dimitri looked at Sylvain there was a faint blush across his cheeks. No way, Ingrid, and Sylvain, in all honesty Dimitri would have never guessed it. "Hey! No need to get hasty" Sylvain said in a fluster tone.

Byleth snickered at Sylvain's reaction, "I didn't know that you and Ingrid were together" Dimitri said.

Sylvain shook his head, "We aren't" he replied.

"I think your crush on Ingrid is cute" Byleth said and Sylvain's face grew more red.

Jesh, Dimitri has really missed out on a lot.

Sylvain quickly regained his composure, "Ingrid is just... A good friend" he said.

Byleth nodded, "Alright, I won't pressure you anymore on the topic" she said, and a look of relief fell over Sylvain's face.

Dimitri grinned, "Hang on" he said "I think I should have a go at Sylvain, especially with all of the teasing I've had to endure" he added.

Sylvain frowned at him, "Well next time don't be so helpless" he said.

Dimitri opened his mouth to rebut, but he was cut off. "Who's helpless?" a voice behind them asked, Dimitri turned to see Claude approaching them

"Took you long enough to get here," Byleth said, changing the subject.

Claude frowned at her, "I had to send out a letter" he said.

"Would that letter happen to be about the details you refuse to tell us about our Fort Merceus plan?" Byleth asked.

Claude rubbed the back of his neck, "Perhaps" he responded then turned to Dimitri "Is the Kingdom army ready to go?" he asked "If so we should get going, it'll take us roughly two maybe three days for us to reach Fort Merceus" he added.

Dimitri nodded, "Yes, of course" he replied "We are all accounted for" he added.

"Alright then" Claude said "Let's move out" he added.

Byleth:

There was something about traveling in a large group that made it feel so much longer. At every turn there was another person, there was no escape from having someone at your side. Byleth couldn't even begin to imagine how much worse it was going to get the further into the Empire they got.

They were drawing closer to Fort Merceus, it took roughly two days before they had reached the territories surrounding the fortress. They should be reaching it any minute now.

Byleth was a little nervous about what was going to happen once they got there if the plan, they had would be able to fool the Imperial soldiers inside.

No, if it would be able to fool the Death Knight.

The march to Fort Merceus suddenly came to a halt.

Byleth looked around to find answers about what was going on, towards the front she saw Claude, Dimitri, and Ignatz were gathered.

"Claude what's going on?" Byleth asked as she approached them.

Claude looked at her and smiled, "Oh, Ignatz here is just about to go and deliver a letter" he said "To inform them that reinforcements are on the way. It would have been suspicious for troops to show up unannounced" he added.

Ignatz nodded, "Alright, I'll go take this then" he said and took off in the direction of Fort Merceus.

"Are you sure about sending Ignatz as the messenger?" Byleth asked.

Claude nodded, "Yeah, he's got an honest type of face that makes it easy to fool people" he said.

Byleth nodded, "Fair enough" she said.

"So, Claude" Dimitri began "What exactly is our plan now?" he asked.

Claude shook his head, "Shame on you Your Princeliness" he said "Can't I have my secrets" he added with a laugh.

Dimitri frowned, "Claude, surely even you understand now is not really the time to keep things like our plan of attack hidden" he said sternly.

Claude sighed, "Fine" he said "As you know we will be dressing up in Imperial uniforms" he began. "However... That alone wouldn't be enough" Claude said "While we are heading to the fort, a separate army is going to attack us" he said.

Byleth furrowed her eyebrows, "We're going to be attacked?" she asked.

Claude nodded, "That's all for show, though. It'll be our allies who are attacking us" he said.

"Ah, I see" Dimitri said "So, you are going to make it appear as if the Alliance is attacking Imperial forces" he added.

Claude nodded, "Right. And when the troops in the fortress panic and open the gates... we're in" he said.

Dimitri furrowed his eyebrows, "Hmm... It still seems a bit risky Claude" he said "We cannot undermine the strength of the Imperial army" he added.

Claude shrugged, "Even so, we've still got Byleth her to command us. All will be well you have to trust us" he said nonchalantly.

Byleth frowned, "Really Claude" she said sternly "That's reckless even for you" she added.

Claude smiled at her, "Byleth... Alright this is for only the both of your ears only, but... There's one more part to my plan" he said.

Dimitri tilted his head in confusion, "There is more?" he asked.

Claude ignored his question, "I had hoped it wouldn't come to this, but I have no choice" he said.

"What do you mean no choice?" Byleth asked.

"We cannot afford to hold anything back" Claude said "Thanks to Edelgard's strength the Imperial army is more unified than I would have expected" he said and shook his head "It was a painful realization after our battles at Gronder field and Derdriu, it's clear that we can't win if we don't pull out all of the stops" he added. Claude paused for a moment, "I realized something else during those battles. There really is something special about you, Byleth" he said "The only reason we were able to keep our cool in the midst of chaos was because we all trust in you. In your command and in your strength" he added.

Byleth nodded slightly, "That's um... Ok" she said awkwardly.

Claude let out a small laugh at her bashfulness, "Come on you have to had realized it by now, everyone here believes that we will win as long as we have you on our side. Our faith in you is borderline religious" he said and winked to Byleth, she grimaced at the thought of being followed in a manner similar to Rhea. "We have what it takes to free Fodlan" Claude said "I know in my heart that we'll make it through to witness the world after all the fighting has ceased" he added.

Byleth flinched, they will, she won't.

She looked towards the ground, "I hope you're right Claude" she murmured.

"Claude" A voice called out, Ignatz. He approached them, "I delivered the letter as you asked, I don't think they suspected a thing" Ignatz said.

Claude nodded, "Good" he said "We should begin our march again then" he said and went to the front to give the order.

"Byleth..." Dimitri said softly, she looked over to him there was a concerned look on his face "In the past, it seemed like the Death Knight took some strange satisfaction from his fights with you" he said sternly "He's an unpredictable opponent. A dangerous one, I know what we promised Mercedes... But please proceed with caution" Dimitri added.

Byleth shook her head, "No need to worry Dimitri" she said "I'm more than capable of handling him" she added.

Dimitri frowned slightly and shook his head, "I have not come this far just to lose you here. I'm serious. Do not be reckless out there" he said seriously.

Byleth smiled slightly, "Oh, will you save me if I'm in trouble?" she teased.

Dimitri's face grew pink, "Of course. You were the heart of the Blue Lions, and the same holds for the Kingdom army" he said.

Byleth nodded and looked away, she probably shouldn't be asking questions like that it's not fair to Dimitri. He's going to have to find someone else, "Right" she mumbled "I'll be fine though, make sure everyone else remains safe instead" Byleth said.

Dimitri frowned slightly, "Of course I will" he said "And I can protect you as well" he added.

Byleth shook her head, "No, Dimitri" she said "I will be fine on my own" she added.

Dimitri looked towards the ground and remained silent; he didn't look pleased that she rejected his aid. Byleth left from besides Dimitri's side to go up further in the march.

It wasn't long before they were at the gates of Fort Merceus, it seemed like Claude's plan had worked, since the Imperial soldiers that were guarding the gate were opening them.

Byleth didn't see Claude anywhere as they were entering the fort, and a few of the Alliance soldiers were missing as well. Then it crossed Byleth's mind that they were going to be the ones attacking them, for some reason that possibility hadn't even come to mind.

Byleth walked through the gates of Fort Merceus, she wasn't one of the first people to enter, everyone who had a notable presence in either the Alliance or Kingdom army was sure not to be in the front, so they didn't sell out the plan.

"General" an Imperial soldier called out "Reinforcements have arrived from the capital" he said, "They clashed with Alliance forces in the outskirts of the city and are entering the fortress" he added.

Byleth couldn't see him, but she heard him, The Death Knight. "You let them in? Make haste and slaughter them all" the Death Knight commanded.

"Huh, why?" The Imperial soldier asked, Byleth felt almost sorry for him... Almost.

"They are enemies. Slaughter them all. I will not say it again" The Death Knight said.

In the sky of the Northern side of Fort Merceus Byleth saw the white of Claude's Wyvern, so he is in as well.

Byleth looked around the Imperial army was quick to react to the news and began attacking, Byleth quickly shed the Imperial armor and looked around for her allies. She saw Dimitri who made his way to her immediately, he had discarded his imperial disguise as well.

"It seems the Death Knight was able to see through our ruse" Dimitri said to Byleth once he reached her.

Byleth nodded in agreement, "Have you seen any of the others?" she asked.

Dimitri shook his head, "No, for the time being we'll have to fight together" he said.

Byleth hated to admit it but he was right, "I know" she said "Come on, I think Claude entered through this way" she said while gesturing to the area that she had seen his Wyvern. "We need to keep an eye out for the others as well I'm certain they aren't too far" Byleth added then unsheathed the sword of the Creator from her belt.

Author's note:

Hello! I hope everyone has been doing good. I wanted to say that I will now have a set scheduled on when I will be updating on Monday, and Friday for this story. I also released a new story last week that will be updating on Wednesdays, well up until this story is finished up. It's a fic of Byleth and Jeralt never leaving from the monastery and I'm pumped to write it. Anyhow I hope you guys check it out, and enjoy this chapter!  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 35 5
In order to escape, Byleth made a deal with the Goddess Sothis. As a result, Jeralt was avenged but at what price did she pay? Before Dimitri's eyes...
352 18 9
After the defeat of Rhea and Thales, the Adrestian Empire prepares for battle with Dimitri and The Kingdom in one final confrontation. At the capital...
1K 139 15
In a city below us, a hidden fourth house resides. When you and her friends go searching for it and meet the underground world of Abyss, trouble spar...
20.7K 687 56
"We could have been great together, Teach." Even though Byleth had chosen to teach the Black Eagles, the Golden Deer house leader Claude von Riegan w...