Crown of Iron (Book 1 of the...

By CrystalJJohnson

HEAVY IS THE CROWN THAT IS TORN BETWEEN LOVE AND HATE One of the powerless among a people who can bend nature... More

Author's Note & Trailer
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Forty-One
Forty-Two
Forty-Three
Forty-Four
Forty-Five
Forty-Six
Forty-Seven
Forty-Eight
Forty-Nine
Fifty
Fifty-One
Fifty-Two
Fifty-Three
Fifty-Four

Twenty-One

1.3K 109 9
By CrystalJJohnson

Pressing my chest to Nortus' back, I sink my heels into his sides. His hooves kiss the ground with rapid claps, and the crisp air stings my cheeks and burns my eyes. Despite the tears trailing down my face, I grip to the reins and focus on the trail ahead. I'm desperate to reach the regiments before it's too late.

Time is both my friend and foe. With every second, I lessen the divide between me and the Lucent army, and they draw closer to the trap awaiting them. There were more experienced riders in the camp, and soldiers who would hold their own better than me against the Stigian. But this is my army...my people, who I will one day vow to protect. I cannot risk leaving their fate in the hands of someone who doesn't wholeheartedly care about every single one of them.

Nortus slows as the ground shifts to soft grass and mud, and the smell of freshwater permeates in the air. The calm surface of Holly Lake reflects the night sky, speckling it with stars. I swear if I were to dive in, I'd be lost to the ether, floating through the inky heavens. On any other night I might consider just that, especially after the new trials I've faced.

On the far end of the lake, shadows of horse-drawn wagons move toward a cluster of single-story structures. Warm gold lights illuminate the caravan's path while their wheels grinding over pebbles join the nocturnal song of frogs and crickets. The army is closer to engaging in battle with the Stigian than I am to reaching them.

I spur Nortus forward, and he gallops through the sludge on the lake's bank. It would be simple to call out for the regiments to stop. The land is serene, and they would easily hear me. Therein lies the problem. My voice would carry so well the Stigian would know our intent to foil their plan. A simple task made impossible, leaving me with no choice but to catch up.

As Greer and the troops turn the last bend, I lean over Nortus and whisper, "Just a little faster, old boy."

Like the amazing beast he is, Nortus pushes forward with a renewed energy, and the distance between me and my target lessens.

"No, no, no," I say as the wagons stop and the soldiers climb out of the backs, taking formation to march the rest of the way into the town. I don't let up on Nortus until we are amidst the rows of troops, and I ask where to find Greer. I'm directed to the front of the line where the colonel sits upon her horse alongside Ulric.

I steer Nortus next to the officers.

Greer's eyes widen, and her cheeks burn red. "What the hell are you doing here? I told you to stay at camp."

"The Stigian are closing in on you from both sides," I say, handing her the instructions from the strategy officers.

She skims the paper, crumples it, and dismounts her horse. "We move around the meadow on foot," she says to Ulric before turning back to me. "Take my horse and wait with the wagons on the other side of the lake."

I bite my lip and take the reins from her. "Yes, Colonel."

"It's for the best, Elle," Ulric says, sparing me an understanding glance before motioning for another soldier to grab his horse.

I know they mean well, but it doesn't make turning my back on them or the town beyond any easier.

The soldier caring for Ulric's horse informs the wagon drivers of Greer's orders, and the rest of the regiments march into the cropping of trees behind the farming town. The wagons turn around, heading back the way they came, and the other riders and I fall behind them.

Unease creeps over me; I'm fleeing while the others fight. This is how it has always been. There are those who shed blood for our kingdom and those who comfortably enjoy the freedom they fight for. I'm tired of freeloading as they sacrifice. I want to fight.

I clench my teeth and squeeze the saddle's horn, struggling between following orders and doing what is right. The desire to turn back consumes my thoughts and causes my body to tremble.

A chorus of roars resound through the tranquil surroundings, joined by the clatter of metal. My head jerks toward the cropping of trees, where flashes of fire and blasts of wind explode from the leafy canopy. Two Stigian warriors on horseback race onto the bank of the lake, and the soldiers next to me shout for us to run.

I pull Nortus' reins and draw my sword; either I face my death head-on or die with a blade to my back.

My breath hitches as I take in our opponents. Not only are they clad in black leather and steel, but so are their horses. Dark cloths cover the lower half of the warriors' faces, leaving the proof of their formidable power on display. Their ebony eyes appear soulless as they lift their hands and take aim.

I'm protected by nothing but a sword. There is no telling if my handmade weapon will be enough to defend me from their power. With each second ticking by, my bravery sways. I'm facing more than just the beings before me, I'm facing unknown gifts of the Statera.

The snap of a branch and a crude arrow cuts through the air on a phantom wind. It zips past me, the leafy tail brushing my ear. It punctures the shoulder of one of the retreating soldiers, knocking them from their horse.

Understanding what we are facing, I lift my sword and kick Nortus into motion. The Stigian straight ahead raises their hand. A tidal wave emerges from the lake and crashes upon Nortus and me. I'm thrown from the saddle, gripping my sword as I slam to the ground. Water burns my nostrils and fills my lungs while I fight to break free from its depths. As the wave recedes, it pulls me back with it. I cling to the trunk of a sapling and my vision blurs around the edges. My head pounds and my muscles quiver as the urge to inhale intensifies.

The water rolls away from my face, and I gasp for breath as another wave rushes toward me.

A Lucent soldier lifts his palm and shoots icicles from his fingertips. One icy dagger rips through the Aquatera's throat; the bloody point protruding from their neck. The water relaxes into the lakebed, and the Stigian slides from their saddle, hitting the ground.

The remaining Stigian glares at the retreating horsemen before turning his attention to me. I scramble to my feet, swat Nortus on his hindquarters to follow the others, and charge for the trees. A sharp snap of leather and galloping hooves and the clanking of the Stigian's armor follow after me. I zigzag through the maze of bark and stone while the cries of battle and blasts of power echo around me.

My pounding heart merges with my panting breaths to create the most frantic song in my head. Every step I take is to its rapid rhythm, pushing me forward. The rocks and roots along the ground trip me up and I can't always stay on beat.

A branch swings low, caught in a gust of wind, and I stumble, taking in a mouthful of leaves and dirt before rolling under a bush. Beneath my palms, the ground shudders, and I spit and blink away the debris. The Stigian Pianti moves closer and sweeps his hand through the air. The thorny branches of the bush whip my arms and legs, tearing my clothes and leaving trails of blood. Biting my lips to stifle my cries, I hurry to my feet. Fear and the searing lesions on my limbs push me into a sprint.

A snort and fiery breath fans across the back of my neck, matching my quick pace. I glance over my shoulder, meeting the face of the warrior's menacing stallion. I swat him away, and the horse snaps at my arm, clipping my skin.

I'm not going to make it. I'm not going to make it.

My bloody fingers tighten around the pommel of my sword, and the coppery taste of blood floods my mouth as I lick my lips and take a deep breath. The urge to unleash on the Stigian grows so strong that my muscles sizzle. My feet lose feeling like I'm floating above the ground, and something within me explodes.

My body slams into a wall.

Arms clasp around me, and amber and onyx consume my world.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 209 50
"Can I ask you a question?" She stares into my eyes, "What?" "If you had a chance to get revenge, or even justice, for something or someone that mat...
215 16 25
They say love and pain go hand in hand. Love makes you whole, but the pain that comes from it either destroys you or makes you a monster...
355K 11.1K 80
When vengeance strikes in the form of a bullet out for the princess's blood, Princess Aleia VonAuclair must flee the heart of her country in order to...
67.5K 6.5K 67
All her life, Saidy has only known two things: servitude to her slave master and the weight of a blade. Captured at a young age by a race of demons c...