Heart and Home~ Edmund Pevens...

By the_metanoia

Fauns dancing around fires. Griffins soaring high. Unicorns galloping across wide fields and centaurs battlin... More

Chapter 1: New arrivals
Chapter 2: Hide and Seek
Chapter 3: Secrets of a wardrobe
Chapter 4: Siblings
Chapter 5: We told you so!
Chapter 6: Jadis... Queen of Narnia?
Chapter 7: The Beaver's house
Chapter 8: Tumnus and the witch
Chapter 9: Merry Witchmas
Chapter 10: The not-so-secret Army
Chapter 11: The Witch's Camp
Chapter 12: A Sudden Change
Chapter 13: The Cold Mother
Chapter 14: Aslan...
Chapter 15: Home
Chapter 16: Death and Life. Heart and Home.
Chapter 17: On we must go...
Chapter 18: Darkest of Times
Chapter 19: Long Live the Kings and Queens
Chapter 20: Abandon
FAN ART
Cover Contest!
Winner!
Fate and Love
Chapter 1| The Message
Chapter 2| Prince Caspian
Chapter 3| Edmund
Chapter 4| Narnians
Chapter 5| Councils and Kisses
Chapter 6| Late Nights and Early Mornings
Chapter 7| A memoir of heartache
Chapter 8| Aslan's How
Chapter 9| Fire and Ice
Chapter 10| Torture
Chapter 11| Dead or Alive
Chapter 12| Negotiate
Chapter 13| King against King
Chapter 14| For King and Country
Faith and Time
Chapter 1: Edmund
Chapter 2: The Tale of an Old Soul
Chapter 3: A glimpse of pain
Chapter 4: Ghost Town
Chapter 5: Do Not Go Gentle
Chapter 6: Unchained
Chapter 7: Awakening
Chapter 8: Island
Chapter 9: Voyage
Chapter 10: The Gold of Midas
Chapter 11: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 12: Liliandil
Chapter 13: Dulce est Decorrum est Pro patria mori
Chapter 14: Revelations
Epilogue

Chapter 15| The Call

2.2K 77 34
By the_metanoia

I smiled and waved as the people of Telmar cheered for the Narnians. It was truly a sight. The Narnians walked through the roads of this once evil place, and the citizens cheered them on – grateful for the newfound freedom and fellowship. Edmund and I rode side by side with Caspian, Aslan and his siblings ahead of us. I chuckled and caught a rose that was flung from the crowd.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Edmund looking at me and I sent him a playful wink before making the rose grow even bigger until it was the size of a small plate.

"For you, my king," I handed him the rose and he chuckled whilst taking it with his free hand.

He shook his head, "I don't think that's how it's supposed to work."

Like always when I spoke with Edmund, all the noise and cheers faded into the background and I could only hear his voice. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "What do you mean?"

He smiled before taking my left hand and delicately wrapping my fingers around the rose, "You are the pretty girl, and that means that I should be giving this to you."

I giggled, "Have you always been this old fashioned?"

He shrugged, "I prefer to call it chivalrous."

"Well, it suits you." I gingerly took the rose and tucked it into my hair and sighed in content.

The following morning, after all the celebration and fireworks had ended, I found myself strolling in the palace gardens in search of one particular King. Surely enough I spotted him as he exited one of the doors into the courtyard.

"Caspian!" I called out before jogging over. He waited patiently with his arms folded behind his back.

"Amelia," he greeted before we started walking through the gardens. The air grew tense and awkward.

Moments of silence passed as I contemplated my words and gathered my courage. How does one approach something like this?

"I wanted to speak with you," I started, hoping that it would get the ball rolling.

He nodded, "Me aswell, although, I'm not sure where to begin..."

I faced him as we walked, "Well... I suppose I just want to apologize for everything. I know it may seem like I left you for Edmund instantly, but It really wasn'-"

Caspian cut me off with a chuckle, "Amelia, there is nothing to forgive. I think we both know that our hearts belong with other people." Caspian's eyes travelled across the courtyard and I followed his gaze, only to find Susan speaking with Peter and Aslan.

I looked over to Caspian and smiled, "I had a feeling it was her. Seems we both can't avoid the Pevensie charm."

We both chuckled at the thought before a deep, familiar voice intrupted us, "Your Majesty? Amelia?"

I looked over and saw Aslan looking at us expectantly. I caught the sad gaze that Susan sent Caspian's way, and I wondered why her eyes held so much sorrow.

Caspian seemed to suddenly remember why he came out to the courtyard in the first place, "We are ready. Everyone has assembled."

Suddenly the memory hit me like a bomb. Today was the day that the Pevensies might return home. My heart dropped into my stomach. Ed and I hadn't even spoken about it, and now he might leave once again. Would I go with him? Could I even go with him?

The others didn't seem to notice my silence as we walked to where the ceremony would take place. The area was a small square in the town with a large tree on the edge of the balcony that overlooked the valley below. The entire town had gathered and were watching as we all took our places on the stage. Edmund was next to me, as I had expected, and I couldn't stop myself from grabbing his hand in slight panic. My mind was jumbled and frazzled. I didn't know what to do.

Caspian started his speech, "Narnia belongs to the Narnians just as it does to man. Any Telmarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to, but for those of you who wish, Aslan will return you to the home of our forfathers."

A man spoke out from the crowd, "It's been generations since we left Telmar."

"We're not refering to Telmar," Aslan explained, "Your ancestors were sea-faring briggans – pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens, and our Silvanus."

Edmund and I looked at each other in slight shock. This information was new to almost everyone, it seemed, for murmurs sprung from the crowd like how small plants would spring from the soil.

"It is to that Island I can return you," Aslan continued, "It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start."

The people looked toward each other in uncertainity. Moments passed with only slight chatter and murmurs. For a second, I thought no-one would go, but then a voice rose from the crowd.

"I will go," a man I recognised as Miraz's general stepped forward, "I will accept the offer."

I watched as Caspian bowed his head in recognition and respect – no doubt Caspian recognised him from his days in the castle – and the general did the same.

"So will we," a woman with a small baby in her arms and another man stepped forward. I realiased with great surprise that this was Miraz's wife and son, along with a man I did not know.

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good," Aslan blew a warm breath over the four, and I knew they could feel his power in that simple action. His breath was the magic that would set his words in place.

Everyone watched in surprise as the large tree in the center of the stage started untwisting itself until it formed an arch-like structure. The four telmarine slowly approached the arch, but once they were under it's shaded cover they disappeared – as if they were never there.

I felt my eyes widen and I hastily rubbed them before looking again, only to find the people still gone. Simultaneously, Edmund and I looked toward each other wearing matching expressions of shock. We had both seen many types off magic, but never had someone just disappeared like that before,

The crowd clearly felt the same, for they all let out cries of shock, surprise and even anger. Some even dared to accuse murder, yelling out, "He killed them!"

I looked at the people and focused on snding a calm breeze throughout the square in hopes of calming the crowd.

"How do we know he is not leading us to our death?" A man questioned.

They were uncertain, and they had right to feel that way. I knew that despite all the talk of peace and untiy, the Telmarines feared the Narnians now more than they ever had, because the Narnians now had the favour fo their King, and the Narnains had every right to hate them and kill them. They were scared.

"Sire," the voice of Reepicheep spoke out, "if my example can be of any service, I will take eleven mice through with no delay."

Aslan didn't answer, he only looked toward Peter and Susan with a look that sent my stomach spiralling into an unknown abyss. The lion wore a knowing smile, and I felt my face frown into a state of worry.

"We'll go," Peter spoke the words that sent a crack down the middle of my heart.

"We will?" Edmund questioned in confusion. He looked between me and Peter like a gambler deciding who had the best deal.

"Come on," Peter said, although his voice was hesitant and weary. He looked at his siblings, "Time's up. Afterall, " he turned to Caspian, "We're not really needed here anymore." I watched, flabbergasted, as Peter handed his sword, the blade that got him through two wars and severall years as King, to Caspian.

"I will look after it until you return," Caspian promised, but Peter shook his head in dismay.

"I'm afraid that's just it," Susan answered. Her eyes looked at Caspian longingly, "We're not coming back."

In that moment, it felt like my entire world would come crashing down. Edmund and I looked at each other and I noticed one tear slip out of his eye as a look of dread crossed over his features.

"We're not?" Lucy asked, her voice tense.

"You two are," Peter gestured to Edmund and Lucy. I let out a sigh of relief, but somehow the news did not lessen the saddness of what was surely the worst goodbye I had ever experienced. "Atleast, I think he means you two," Peter nodded his head in Aslan's direction. Peter's uncertainity made me wonder if I should even be relieved at the news. There was still a chance that Ed wasn't coming back. Would I come back if I went with him?

Lucy's heart seemed to be shattered. Her voice was small and quiet, "But why? Did they do something wrong?"

Aslan answered calmly, "Quiet the opposite, dear one. But all things have their time. Your brother and siser have learned all they can from this world, now it's time for them to live in their own."

I felt Edmund's hand circle my waist in an almost possesive manner, and we shared a look of equal dread. I pulled him into a side hug with both my arms wrapped around his body, but we didn't pull away. We watched as the exchange continued.

"It's alrght, Lu," Peter comforted her," It's not how I thought I would be, but it's alright." He comfortingly took her smll hand in his calloused ones, "One day you'll see too." He tugged on her hand, "Come on," Peter, Lucy and Susan walked toward the others to say goodbye, but Edmund made no move to follow.

He looked at me and I could see the saddness in his eyes, "I don't want to go."

My own eyes started to flood, "I don't want you to go."

"Then come with me," his words planted a new image in my mind. What was it like back home? Is my father still alive? I imagined Edmund and I walking to school in the mornings and making dinner for everyone at night. I saw us cuddling up in a school library with stacks of papers in front of us. We would have water balloon fights on weekends, or maybe get out of the city and go to the countryside during holidays. Life could be normal. I could ride in cars and trains again, maybe even join Polo team and ride horses. Everything would change. But could it be for better?

I nodded, "I want to. I really really want to."

Edmund settled his hands on either side of my face before bringing his nose to touch mine, "Can't you see it? You, me, London. It'd be a dream."

I sighed and nudged him affectionately with my nose, "It sounds... perfect."

He smiled and noticed the sparkle of happiness that shoen through the sea of saddness in his eyes. He was sad to leave, but happy that I was leaving too. We smiled and chuckled at each other before we pulled apart and Edmund tugged excitedly on my hand in the direction of the tree. His family was already waiting.

I saw Lucy's eyes brighten at the sight of Edmund and I's joined hands. I knew she had made the connection, and I was already excited to spend my days with her and Edmund.

"Amelia," Aslan's voice stopped me in my tracks. Something about his tone sent a chill throughout my spine, "Dear one..." I turned to face him and saw his solemn expression. My heart dropped into my stomach and I froze in anticipation, "I am truly sorry, but you cannot leave."

His words felt like a blow to the chest. My knees weakened, my eyes flooded, and my heart broke. All the happiness I had suddenly drained out of my body and my breathing became heavy and staccato.

"W-w-what?" I barely whispered.

He looked at me knowingly, "you made a promise."

A larger pixie, the only white one in the entire group, appeared before my eyes.

Est a pretium, A voice spoke inside my head. There is a price.

"Redde mihi eam," I said aloud. I'll pay it.

The pixies.

"The pixies named their price, Silvanus. And I'm afraid you must stay here until your debt is repaid."

I felt Edmund spin around to face him. I immediately noticed the tears running down his cheeks, "What does he mean?"

I shook my head in attempt to clear my thoughts from the shock, "Th- the pixies. They gave me power in the battle. They said there was a price, and this is it." Rivers were flowing down my cheeks, "I can't go."

Edmund shook his head in disbelief before biting his lip. His eyes were red, although I knew mine were too. His arms then encricled me and brought me into the warmth of his chest. I let out the sobs that seemed to shake my entire chest. The sobs were the earthquake that cracked my heart into pieces – for every sob reminded me that this was it. I might never see him again.

I could feel the top of my head grow wet as Edmund's tears made their landing. I quickly pulled away from the hug – immediately missing the warmth – before I gently placed my hands on either side of his face, "You promise me you'll be good, okay? Go study, do your homework, nonsense like that. Promise me." My voice cracked at the end.

He let out a nervous chuckle before nodding, "I promise."

"And don't get into fights. Not because you'll los,e but because you might hurt the other guy too much."

Edmund shook his head in disbelief while laughing through the tears, "You're one of a kind." He looked into my eyes before cupping my face with his hands, "Stay alive until I get back, because I'm coming back. One way or another. I don't care if you have to wait aother 300 years, just be here, please? Don't make me come back to find a world without you in it."

I sniffed, "You know I can't exactly promise that."

He shook his head and whispered, "I promised, now you have to. That's how it works"

I smiled sadly before I started leaning in, "That whole chivalry thing again?"

He shrugged and leaned closer aswell, "Sort of."

Our lips met in a flare of saddness, dread and nostalgia. It seemed that this kiss was al the others combined. It shot memory after memory through my head like no other kiss before. I felt his pain through the year he spent in London after his first visit, I felt his heartbreak after seeing my love for Caspian, and his happiness after we got back together. And I felt his ache. I felt how he was hurting, and I was sure he could feel my pain, my suffering. Who knows how this could end? I could get killed before he comes back. I might not age as slow as I did before, and since time worked differently, the age might kill me before he returns. He might never come back. I would be all alone, with only Caspian to keep me company. But he, too, would marry one day and have children of his own. I don't think I could ever do that. Not with someone else. Only with him – Edmund.

Our lips detatched and I immdiately felt cold. Edmund gingerly placed a kiss on my forehead, and I closed my eyes to savour the feeling of his comfort and safety. But then he was gone. His touch disappeared and I saw him walk to his siblings with his head down and his arms limp by his side.

I let out another silent cry as I gave Peter and Susan similar nods of goodbye – my saddness too deep to go and hug them. But then my eyes reached little Lucy and I felt my heart shatter even more.

"Don't go into any strage wardrobes now, Lu. You never know what might happen," My voice cracked as I spoke, but Lucy burst into tears before she quickly rushed over and gave me a tight squeeze around the hips.

I hugged her back and sniffed as the tears continued to fall, "Don't be a stranger."

She sniffed and looked up at me, "You too."

She quietly turned around and wallked back to her siblings. The four siblings just stood there for a moment – taking it all in. They looked that the crowd of Narnians and Telmarines. They look at Aslan with Reepicheep and Trumpkin. Their eyes glowed in admiration, but also in pain.

As they turned to walk through the ache, I could not stop my voice from crying out, "Ed!"

He turned around, the tears still falling, "Yeah?"

I smiled sadly, "I love you."

He smiled back, "I love you too."

Then he was gone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 32 15
1300 years after they are first called, the Pevensies are brought back to the land they once ruled over. A group of pirates who had journeyed throug...
100K 2.6K 32
Do you ever feel like you were born into the wrong world? Because that is exactly how Elodie Penvensie felt. Her twin brother Peter, and the rest of...
480K 15.6K 109
'We'll safety-pin the pieces of our broken hearts back together Patching up all the holes until we both feel much better Deleted things, I really mea...
2.4K 100 14
The Pevensies are sent to the countryside to escape the devastation and danger of the Blitz. There, they meet three they'll be living with for the f...