𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐅𝐈𝐃𝐄 ♚ 𝙩. 𝙨𝙝𝙚𝙡...

By FeedMeFryes

Tommy Shelby finally recognises the extent of his mental damage. An Illness that is eating away at his consci... More

♞ 𝘤𝘢𝘴𝘵.
𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘵 ❧
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴏɴᴇ
ⅰ - 𝘳𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘴𝘩
ⅱ - 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘳
ⅲ - 𝘰𝘳𝘥𝘦𝘳
ⅳ - 𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘵
ⅴ - 𝘷𝘢𝘯𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘴𝘩
ⅵ - 𝘵𝘢𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘳
ⅶ - 𝘴𝘶𝘤𝘤𝘦𝘦𝘥
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴛᴡᴏ
ⅷ - 𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘣𝘪𝘳𝘥
ⅸ - 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘥𝘶𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯s
ⅹ - 𝘳𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨
ⅺ - 𝘤𝘭𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘧𝘺
ⅻ - 𝘥𝘦𝘤𝘦𝘪𝘷𝘦
xiii - 𝘪𝘯𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘶𝘦
xiv - 𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵
xv - 𝘢𝘧𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘮
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ
xvi - 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵
xvii - 𝘪𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯
xviii - 𝘥𝘦𝘤𝘪𝘱𝘩𝘦𝘳
xix - 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯
xx - 𝘧𝘢𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘪𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘦
xxi - 𝘥𝘦𝘷𝘪𝘢𝘵𝘦
xxii - 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘶𝘤𝘦
xxiii - 𝘪𝘯𝘥𝘶𝘭𝘨𝘦
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ ғᴏᴜʀ
xxiv - 𝘦𝘧𝘧𝘭𝘰𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘦
xxvi - 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘺
xxvii - 𝘰𝘣𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦
xxix - 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘦𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ ғɪᴠᴇ
xxx - 𝘳𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘸
xxxi - 𝘰𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘶𝘯𝘦
xxxii - 𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘪𝘴𝘦
xxxiii - 𝘩𝘢𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥
xxxiv - 𝘱𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘶𝘪𝘵
xxxv - 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘴𝘵
xxxvi - 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯
xxxvii - 𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘰𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦
xxxviii - 𝘢𝘳𝘣𝘪𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦
xxxix - 𝘢𝘤𝘲𝘶𝘪𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘦
xl - 𝘢𝘣𝘴𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘥
- ᴘᴀʀᴛ sɪx
xli - 𝘳𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵
xlii - 𝘯𝘦𝘨𝘰𝘵𝘪𝘢𝘵𝘦

xxv - 𝘢𝘤𝘤𝘶𝘴𝘦

4K 147 79
By FeedMeFryes

'The Eden's been fucking burnt down!'

Those words, the cursive sound of guttural fear, shock and angry bewilderment. Thomas Shelby hated hearing that sort of aggressive grief in any of his family's voices.

The office around him seemingly fell away, crumbling like the last remnants of a nightmare. His entire being felt frozen in it's place upon the chair, his vice like grip around the phone.

It wasn't often Tommy Shelby was speechless, unable to coherently form any sort of sentence.

He was well aware that Verity was sat opposite him, a concerned and searching look in her sweet hazel coloured eyes.

"H-how-" Tommy was trying to think of where to even begin, not that Arthur gave him much room to speak at this point.

"I don't fucking know, Tommy, for fucks sake!" Arthur growled back at him, the pained frustration rising high in his tones.

Taking a deep breath, Tommy squeezed his eyes shut and rested his free hand against his temple.

"I'll call a family meeting, tomorrow morning at the Garrison." He sighed, "I know this has happened, but we need to think about the next steps-"

He was once again interrupted by Arthur's flaming temper.

"No, we need to find out what fucker has done this to us." He snarled, "I'll fucking gut them-"

Scarlett could be heard in the background trying to soothe her enraged partner, but to no avail it seemed.

"We'll find out Arthur, just," Tommy sighed once again, feeling very much he was handling a wild bull when it came to his older brother, "just take Scarlett home, the last thing she bloody needs now is any stress." He instructed, his careful concern and regard for Scarlett once again boosted Verity's quiet confident that Tommy Shelby wasn't as cold as he always wanted to appear to be.

Dropping the handset back into the upright receiver, Tommy exhaled a laboured sigh. They'd only just recovered from the rush and excitement of a party and now things had lurched into dark chaos. He had been hoping for a few quiet days at home but it seemed that now was a distant fancy.

"I need to get ready to leave," Tommy sighed, rising from the desk as Verity couldn't help but follow. She hadn't the slightest idea of what conversation had just been had.

"What's happening? Is everything alright?" She asked with a gentle and concerned tone of voice, tailing Tommy out of the office. The Blinder stopped in the spacious hallway, turning to face Verity, her sweet features filled with an anxiousness.

"The club's been burned down." Tommy said, keeping his tone level - it severely contradicted how much his words would have their effect on Verity.

She remained standing, but she felt as if her knees could've given way at any moment. Her chest ached something sorely, and no matter how her brain raced - no words at all came out. She stammered uselessly, feeling a familiar sting of tears at her eyes. That club had been a fundamental part in this new stage of her life - she had branched into a new career there and met her best friend there, and now it was all gone? It seemed strange to comprehend how such a grand building had been reduced to nothing in seemingly no time at all.

"I need you to stay here with Charlie," Tommy then instructed, resting his hands on her shoulders, a grounding gesture that pulled her out of the swirling, gravity defying sadness surrounding her.

"I've called a family meeting, at home." Even in this grand old house it seemed his definition of 'home' laid in the grey, grimy streets of Birmingham.

"How long will you be gone?" Verity asked, a little breathless still from the shock of what she had heard. "Do you have any idea of how this could've happened?" Her eyes glistened with diamond-like tears.

Tommy's gaze sank, and it was visible the cogs were turning. In his eyes, there were a few people who would suspect , but then again - he knew himself his family had enemies in seemingly every nook and cranny. Until they had a solid piece of evidence, it could've been anyone.

"I highly doubt it's a natural blaze, let's just say that." He concluded, eyes settling back upon her for a few more seconds.

Verity appeared fragile, lost - somewhat distant with the shock of what had happened to the club. Tommy could understand hearing that would unsettle her, but he was ultimately a little warmed that the Eden had even meant so much to her. She clearly valued the place and the things it had given her.

"I'll try to be back as soon as possible." He added, icy blue eyes carefully studying the girlish fragility on her face, something Verity usually hid so well behind her strong and brash womanly confidence.

His subconscious urged him, and without much thinking Tommy had leaned forwards and pressed a gentle kiss to her cheek. He had even surprised himself with the gesture, let alone Verity, who was not used to these such tender displays from a man who had up until now, been an impenetrable fortress of a being.

There was a pause that lasted some seconds, before Verity broke into a small smile. She reached out, small and delicate hands finding his own. He felt the softness of her fingertips, a woman who had seen no soul crushing labour, no gruesome hardships and no fights. She was soft to the touch, like the silky feathers of a swan. Her gentle touch felt as if it was too good for his hands, worked and worn - had seen blood and grit alike.

Tommy fought past his own personal grievances and carefully squeezed her hand back, all before letting go - naturally, he had been recoiling all these years from tenderness and vulnerability. His brain barked at him to let go, lest his might break this beautiful glass stature of a woman before him.

"Take care of yourself and Charlie." Tommy said, tones soft and featherlight in the otherwise undisturbed quiet of the hall, as he headed up those imposing dark oak stairs to prepare a case to travel with.

Alone in the hall, Verity folded her arms across her chest - saddened by the sudden downfall of the Eden, she began musing a lot over who would do such a thing?

She had her very own suspicions ... yes, Tommy's seemingly aloof cousin and vixen wife seemed a sure shot but there was someone even more prevalent in her eyes.

A certain Mr Valentine seemed a prolific figure to quiz - but Verity knew Arthur would be blinded by their 'friendship' to even question it.

This could be a tricky one to pick apart.

-

A long night of travelling, one wide empty roads and winding darkened country lanes alike - Tommy had ended back up in the jaws of a home that had made him and broken him multiple times.

The streets were filled with the typical industrial smog, the loud clop of a workhorse's hooves and the shouting and jeering of many workers clammering in the factories.

Approaching the notorious Garrison pub, Tommy drank up the image of the exterior. All sorts of memories came back from whej this was a place he frequented constantly, all the ploys and thrills that took place in the private room, the exchanges of words and actions alike in the booth. He felt a wash of nostalgia / whether it was warm or not was questionable.

Stepping inside, the usually packed pub was deathly silent ahead of the meeting. It was clear the usual punters had been forewarned that the Blinders needed it so of course, not a soul dared to be around to potentially piss them off.

Hearing the distant low talking of voices, Tommy strode through the main bar area to the newly refurbished smaller meeting area at the back - with it's own smaller bar and decorative black and white interior, it was every bit the classic setting for a typical family meeting.

Of course, heads turned as Tommy stepped into the room. Naturally, he was the chair for most of the meetings. He liked to see his family on better terms, and following the party this was an incredibly bleak matter on which to congregate.

"I see you didn't bring her then." Arthur's tones grizzled before Tommy had even got his cap and coat off. The middle Shelby brother stopped and glared at his elder brother, with a confused and irritated look on his face.

"What, Arthur?" He snapped back quickly, tossing his signature cap onto a small table before him and slinging his longline coat onto the back of the wooden chair in front of him, even the short mannerisms in his gestures signalled that Tommy was growing tired of his brother's constant whinging behaviour. He already had some idea about who Arthur was going to complain about.

"Verity." He scorned in a belittling tone of voice, "Probably best you didn't bring her anyway. I think my suspicions about her are confirmed." There was a clear smugness to Arthur's tone, a cocksure look on his face that far contradicted the rather hallowed and distant look on Scarlett's face, who sat beside him in a shapeless black dress - which was quiet a juxtaposing to the usual colourful and figure flattering pieces she usually took to wearing.

The rest of the family looked on silently at the brother's exchange, by now, Tommy had gathered Arthur might of already shared his point of view with the others.

"So you're accusing Verity of burning down the Eden?" Tommy started, watching on as his brother did not deny the statement. Tommy could not help himself, as he audibly sniggered at the idea.

"Arthur, how and why the fuck would Verity of all people want the Eden burned down? Hm?" He pressed with a snide tone, "I just have to hear this crock of shit." He chimed sarcastically, standing back as Arthur flew up out of his seat - like a chained wolf, gasping to get at the throat of it's taunting trainer.

"You only think it's a crock of shit because you're too busy thinking by your cock rather than your bloody brain!" Arthur bellowed, the volume of his voice suddenly causing Scarlett to visibly jump beside him.

"She wanders into our lives - fucking cosy's up to you," Arthur started, pressing his fingertip to the table, speech pressured with rage. "Gets in y' fucking head all whilst she's probably been working in the background all along to bring us down!"

Tommy listened silently on to his brother's lament, but alas he was finding it hard to quite grasp onto the point.

"But what could Verity benefit from if she did this, Arthur?" Tommy retorted, "she'd only be doing herself damage. Wrecking her livelihood."

Scoffing, Arthur shook his head in bitter sarcasm.

"There you go again, nobhead." He spat, "think about the bigger picture!" Arthur then roared, violently jabbing his finger at the side of his temple in some chaotic gesture in hopes of further enhancing his point.

"She's clearly working for some fucker else! Who would pay her more than she earns to bring us down!" Arthur shouted, throwing himself back down into his seat - as Scarlett gingerly linked her arm through his in some sort of protective and comforting manner.

"Face it Tommy, it makes sense." He added, voice low and the anger of the moment diffusing away whilst Tommy's mind worked over the words of his older brother.

It hurt that the idea did make sense ... it could've been plausible Verity had been working for another enemy, a puppet used to get into their world and understand things about them that no one else got to see. Arthur has just reinforced the point Tommy had known all along ... the Shelby's would always have enemies somewhere.

"Well, what about Valentine?" Tommy suddenly piped up, watching as Arthur visibly recoiled at that accusation.

"Why would Eli do this Tommy? When he has invested time and money into helping me?" Arthur scoffed, crossing his arms across his chest in a defensive manner. "That would be stupid to accuse him."

Tommy had to laugh to himself, Arthur was quick to point the finger but seemed to close off to the idea of anyone betraying him.

"You never mentioned Eli had invested money?" Tommy then added, looking at Arthur fidget uncomfortably.

"Well we were..." the eldest Shelby brother cleared his throat, visibly uncomfortable. "In talks about a deal to do with Verity transferring..."

His attempted downplaying of the statement only caused both Tommy and Scarlett to snap their gazes over at Arthur.

"Arthur!?" Scarlett gasped, hurt written all over her sweet face. "Why!?"

"It doesn't fuckin' matter now anyway considering the club's burned down." He mumbled in response, looking very much like a scolded child.

"Oh for gods sake," Aunt Pol piped up, tapping a cigarette over the glass ashtray in the centre of the small table she was sat by. "You sound like fucking children."

Her hickory brown eyes flashed between her two nephews, drawing her cigarette back to her painted lips.

"I suggest Tommy has a word with his lady about the fire, meanwhile, we'll have to keep investigating. Someone must've bloody seen something." Polly advised. Despite her family being all grown, she still took lead over them sometimes - especially when they bickered as if they were still on the playground.

It seemed this was an indicator for the meeting to close, as everyone quietly got ready to leave - yet Tommy's feet stayed firmly grounded in their place, his hands resting on the back of the chair in front of him. He didn't want to have to even think about the prospect that Verity would hurt him in this way...

Though he supposed it would serve him right for all the wrongdoing he did upon her.

However, as everyone started to leave the room - Tommy could not help but look up as Arthur held tightly onto Scarlett's hand and practically dragged her out of the room.

Quickly reaching out, Tommy in turn took a gentle hold of Scarlett's other risk and ground her to halt - earning a rather filthy look from a disgruntled Arthur.

"And what do you make of this, Scarlett?" Tommy said, looking straight at her with no hesitation. "You know Verity better than any of us. Do you think she would do this?"

Usually Scarlett would've always been the first to leap to Verity's defence, But Tommy felt she was being quashed under Arthur's overbearing opinions.

"You never know what to believe, Tommy." Scarlett replied, she felt a shell of her normal outspoken and bold self. "Or who to trust."

She said no more, as Arthur tugged her arm gently and led them both on- out of the double doors with their frosted ornate glass.

Once the sound of footsteps had all but dissipated, Tommy found himself in solitude and alone with the thoughts he so desperately did not wish to be with. His fist connected with the table, a loud bash that sent the poor structure wobbling precariously on the spot.

He groaned to himself, hands raking across his face and up through his hair - whilst he tried to get a grip on this situation he found himself in. He so did not want it to be true. He didn't want this kind of betrayal coming from someone he had convinced himself was okay to trust. Someone he had come to adore.

Yet all the same, he felt he was in no position to be outraged. He had done unspeakable, cruel and selfish things to get Verity into his clutch in the first place.

If this was the lord's harsh lesson, then it had certainly been selected at a bitter enough time.

-

A day alone with Charlie was always a delight for Verity. The two had baked some cookies, done a short music lesson and rode the horses before spending the late afternoon doing some reading and literature work for Charlie's tutoring.

As fun as the days were with that little boy, Verity always found herself exhausted at the end of them.

After dinner, Francis had escorted Charlie upstairs for his bath time - which left Verity a precious half an hour or so to sit on her own.

Naturally, she took to the peace and seclusion of Tommy's office - with a tall glass of gin and tonic and a good book she had been dying to read for some while yet.

As she sat alone in the sofas by the roaring hearth, she felt the glow of the flame's heat beside her skin - and immediately her brain diverted from the words on the page to thoughts of the fire that had ravaged the Eden club. She soon found herself utterly distracted, and the book was set aside as Verity sipped quietly on her drink.

Truth be told, she had been thinking about Tommy all day, wondering how the family meeting had gone and what they had managed to discuss. Her mind wondered over the fact of whether Eli would be mentioned at all.

She wasn't left to muse quietly for too long before the phone on Tommy's desk rang loudly. Her heart jumped at the noise, it was unexpected and was an alarming sound amongst the otherwise quiet crackling of the fire in the hearth.

Getting up, she padded over to the desk and took a seat in Tommy's chair. She felt rather scruffy today, having stayed in her riding gear which consisted of jodphurs and her white blouse from about midday as she couldn't be bothered to change.

"Mr Shelby's desk-" she had started in a polite tone, before she was interrupted.

"Hello Verity," it was Tommy, but he sounded different. His tones were laden, heavy and overly try hard of disguising the unmistakable slurring throes of alcohol.

"Tommy," Verity welcomed his call, "is everything okay? How did the meeting go today?" She asked whilst she fiddling with the handle of the drawer on his desk. There was a long pause, it was overdrawn and uncomfortable. She was about to ask if he was still there before he blurted it out:

"Did you have some part in the fire?"

The question knocked her for ten, and her relaxed seat in the chair stiffened - her back tall and chest suddenly tight with anxiety.

"No! No, why would you even ask that?" She practically choked on her words, so saddened at the accusation and in disbelief alike. "Tommy I would never hurt you like that." She added, her heartfelt tone only hurting him more - for the more whisky he had drank that afternoon, the more he had been thinking about how much he had ruined her life for his own selfish gain.

"The club was my life! I've got no life without the Eden, it would be stupid if I played a part in it's destruction." Her voice was shaky with her tearful nature. "Why are you asking if it was me? Who said something?"

"It was Arthur." Tommy replied with a heavy sigh, "his reason seemed to make sense... I've had people come into my life before acting as caring figures, only to be made a fool of... it didn't seem such a far fetched idea-"

"I'm hurt, truly I am." She sniffled, taking a deep breath, "but as hurt as I am, I can see the thinking behind why Arthur thinks I could've been a culprit. I'm the new one, the one no one in your family knows much about." She sighed, wiping away the tears that threatened to trickle down her cheeks.
"Not to mention he just seems to hate me either way."

"I just needed to hear it from you." Tommy replied after a short pause, "I don't want to think that you would..."

He couldn't say it. The word 'betray'. Why? Because he had done so himself, to her, countless times. How could he be in any position to persecute her?

"I wouldn't hurt you." Verity assumed the sentence and finished it for him, "not when I've tried so hard to convince you I'm not an evil person." She laughed softly to lighten the mood, unaware of the small smile she roused from Tommy at the other end of the phone.

"I hope Charlie has been good." He changed the subject swiftly to avoid making himself feel any guiltier.

"As always." She added quietly, clearing her throat. "I think he's finished his bath now, so I expect he will be wanting a bedtime story." She added, "I should get going."

A pause ensued, before Tommy eventually drew in a deep breath - his eyes settled on the bottle of whisky on the bar top in front of him.

"Alright, I suppose I'll see you soon." He could not stomach himself in that moment, "take care."

As the call ended, Verity put the phone back in it's place and dithered uselessly on the interaction that just took place. She assumed Tommy had been asked to question her, but it hurt her that he felt he even needed to do so. Clearly there was an element of trust that was still missing. She question whether she could ever really commit to a relationship if he wasn't fully trusting of her yet.

So, with a significantly heavier heart than before - Verity left the office and made her way up the stairs, plastering on her best smile to mask the doubt she felt inside.

How could she of been so silly to expect things with a Shelby could've been simple?

A/N: sorry that this chapter isn't 100% enthralling but I promise ... it's all going to come to a boil very, very soon ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 134 7
𝙋𝙡𝙖𝙮𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝘿𝙚𝙫𝙞𝙡𝙨 𝙂𝙖𝙢𝙚.... In which Thomas Shelby finds himself beaten by Billy Kimber & forced into hiding, where he comes acro...
4K 116 18
Alice Shepherd had always been an interest to the Shelby brothers, ever since they were all kids. Especially John. They grew up on the same estate, w...
31.3K 1.2K 22
Anna-Maria Williams hates Thomas Shelby's guts. She thinks that he sees himself as the king of the world and everyone ought to bow before him but Ann...
2.7M 37.5K 115
*UNDER EDITING* Imagines for your favourite Shelby family (and Alfie!)