Call it What You Want

By jamjam53

Taylor Swift has been deep under cover for the past thirteen years as a pop superstar. Why? To get close to t... More

Intro - My Castle Crumbled Overnight
1 - Knife to a Gunfight
2 - They Took the Crown
3 - But It's Alright
4 - Liars are Calling Me One
5 - Nobody's Heard From Me in Months
6 - Doing Better than I Ever Was
7 - Fit Like a Daydream
8 - Walking with His Head Down
10 - Fly Like a Jet Stream
11 - High Above the Whole Scene
12 - Like I'm Brand New
13 - Flowers Grew Back as Thorns
14 - Boarded Up After the Storm
15 - Just to Keep Me Warm
16 - Taking Swings
17 - Jokers Dressin' Up as Kings
18 - Fade to Nothing When I Look at Him
19 - Same Mistakes
20 - Bridges Burn
21 - One Thing Right
22 - Sparkin' Up My Darkest Night
23 - His Initial
24 - Not Because He Owns Me
25 - Really Knows Me
26 - More Than They Can Say
27 - Holdin' My Breath
28 - You Don't Need to Save Me
29 - Would You Run Away?
30 - Yes
31 - Call It What You Want To

9 - The One He's Walking To

402 21 4
By jamjam53

June 2017
Taylor's POV

I could see the heart of music city from where I sat in the office building overlooking today's drop zone. Tourists roamed the sidewalks with shopping bags or drinks in their hands. They strolled without a strong sense of direction. The streets weren't too crowded since it was mid-afternoon. By night, the whole downtown strip would be packed full of people covered by the glow of the neon signs. I watched as impatient Uber drivers swerved around pedestrians. Musicians hustled by with their gear. A pedal bar occasionally rolled past my window. Nashville had an indescribable kind of energy.

I hoped this energy meant that today's operation would go well. It had already been a long day starting with the paparazzi learning about my relationship with Joe. Of course I was upset, but I didn't have the time or energy to worry about it. My main concern was the operation. I couldn't afford to botch it. I didn't want to find out what would happen to me or my family if I did. I just wanted to be at home laying in bed with my boyfriend and cats.

It had been a few years since I ran an operation with other agents. Usually, I worked alone. I preferred it that way. There was nobody else to worry about, no confusion. I could make decisions quickly.

For about the tenth time today, I mentally ran through the brief on the operation. Something about it felt different. We weren't following any sort of procedure which made me think that this was a last minute operation. Since we were dealing with an MI6 defector, I figured that they recently decided to pass along this intel and needed it done quickly. I still couldn't figure out why James needed me to take this instead of another agent. I was only monitoring comm devices. We weren't even running tight surveillance. I didn't have to watch traffic cameras or building security.

There were only two other agents assigned to this operation. Mia who had been developing the source was going to meet them to obtain the package. Another agent, Leo, would be nearby in case any issues arose. They weren't new recruits, but they weren't seasoned agents. I would oversee the entire operation from my position in this office building. Once my team obtained the package, I would meet up with them to get it. Since whatever information we are collecting is above all of our security clearances, I am supposed to deliver it to James as soon as I have a safe way to do so. Seemed easy enough. The only trouble was the possibility of MI6 being present and armed. We really had no plan with how to deal with that other than to call of the drop or run as fast as we can. Not great on our part.

At 14:50, I checked in with my team. "Everyone ready?"

I got a yes from both agents who blended in with the tourists standing around. Everything in the area looked fine. Nothing unusual. When 15:00 rolled around, I announced "operation is a go."

With an information drop, we usually expect the source to be on time. Nothing is ever certain though. We waited for five minutes and saw no sign of the source. Operations often required more patience than activity.

Mia glanced down at the phone in her hand. She must have gotten a message from her source because she started moving toward the entrance of the building.

When she did, I spotted someone familiar. I grabbed my binoculars just to make sure. Even with the ball cap, I immediately recognized the grey shirt and jeans. Joe? I instinctively panicked. If MI6 was in the area with weapons, I didn't want him to get caught in the middle. "Keep moving, Joe. Walk on through," I talked out loud to the window like I was talking to the television playing a sporting event.

I knew that Joe was going to explore Nashville today while I worked. Earlier today, I gave him a list of places to check out. My idiot self put the country music hall of fame, the location of our drop, on the list. I didn't mind that he was going, but his timing was horrible.

Distracted by my boyfriend,  I didn't fully process when Mia told our team, "I'm going inside. We have to get the package."

Mia didn't even wait for me to say anything before she slipped into the crowd of people entering the museum. Oh no, I thought. This was not part of the plan. The package was supposed to be delivered outside. I didn't run a security detail inside. I had no access to the cameras. We had no exit routes inside. I was supposed to make the call of whether she should go in or not, but I lost focus. She was right, the priority was the package. We couldn't be reckless about getting it. Should I head down? This would be a hell of a report to write.

"Leo, move in. We have to keep eyes on the package at all times," I ordered. I paced back and forth in front of the window. 

"Please don't get murdered in there," I mumbled with a clenched jaw. This is exactly why I prefer to work alone.

Joe's POV

On my way downtown, I received one final message from Natalie. She instructed me not to engage with her contact. After the paparazzi incident this morning, she was concerned that I might be recognized. On top of that, with us being a rogue two person operation, we didn't have the resources to fight any surprises from the CIA. They could have a grab team waiting for me for all I knew. A dead drop was our safest option.

My ride dropped me off a few blocks away from the Country Music Hall of Fame. I walked around, checking out the numerous bars, gift shops, and alley ways to familiarize myself with the area. I mentally came up with a few escape routes. The streets were crowded but not packed yet which meant it would be easy to blend in and move quickly. 

At 15:00, I stood on the street corner of near the hall of fame. I scanned the plaza to see if I might have been followed. When I decided that it was clear, I headed into the museum. The cool air conditioning felt nice compared to the summer heat outside. I approached the reception desk with the device clasped in my hand.

"Hello," I greeted the woman sitting behind the desk.

She gave me a big smile. In America, I couldn't tell if people smiled at me because they're usually that friendly or they liked my accent. "Hello, sir. Welcome to the Country Music Hall of Fame. What can I help you with?"

I placed the small device on the counter. "I think this must fallen out of someone's pocket. It seems valuable."

We both stared at it sitting on the counter for a few seconds before she receptionist picked up the device and turned it over in her hand. "Mmm, yes. We will keep it here in case anyone comes looking for it. This is where we direct guests for lost items."

"Great."

"Is there anything else I can help you with today?" She asked me.

"I'll get one ticket to the museum," I told her. I wanted to check out the museum since Taylor told me about her exhibit here. Also, if anyone was keeping watch over this building, I had to make it look like I was a patron. If I came in and left immediately I might look suspicious. 

When she handed me my ticket, I thanked her and stepped aside. I pulled out my phone to send Natalie a quick message: Dropped at reception desk.

I found a bench far enough away from the desk that I wouldn't be noticed unless someone was looking for me but close enough that I could still clearly see people coming in and out. I was relieved to be free of the device. Until Natalie's source came to get the device, I wasn't completely in the clear. 

A few minutes later I saw a young woman with wavy light brown hair approach the reception desk. The same receptionist who I talked to handed her the device. The girl hardly looked at it before dropping it into her purse. She turned around and walked out just about as quickly as she came in. The same man who walked in a few seconds after her followed her out. They must be a team, I concluded.

I texted Natalie one last time: package delivered. The contents of the device were no longer our responsibility. It was up to the CIA to decide what they wanted to do with the intel. 

Taylor's POV

After what felt like hours later but was only a few minutes, Mia walked out of the front entrance of the museum followed by Leo a few feet behind. I let out a deep breath that I didn't know I was holding in. So far, so good. As long as I could get the device safely out of the area we would be good.

Now, we were in phase two of our operation. I waited in the office space until the two agents were out of my line of sight. I packed up my things and headed out. We planned to meet back up at a coffee shop down the street. 

I walked quickly, weaving through people all the way to the coffee shop. 

"Hey," I greeted them a little out of breath. Mia slid me the device under the table. 

She told us in a hushed voice, "I didn't see anyone trailing us when we left." 

"That's good. I'm glad you could get in and out safely." Truly, that was a huge relief. And she had the device. 

"I wonder what is on it," Leo said aloud. Mia and I both shot him look as if to say 'keep your voice down.'

"Well, we may never know. It's part of the job. But really, you both did well today. I'll make sure to praise your fast thinking in the report." I pushed my chair back and stood up to leave. 

"Why did you freeze today?" Mia blurted out. 

"Excuse me?" I looked to Mia and then to Leo. 

Leo echoed, "you froze. When Mia said she was moving in on the target. We were relying on you to make a call, and you didn't." 

I sighed. "I know, I'm really sorry about that. You guys made the right decision. I'm just glad that this is over. I'll see you guys around. Good luck with whatever you have next."

Mia spoke up again, "Taylor wait. It was great to work with you even though it was such a strange operation." Then, she hesitated before asking, "Do you mind if I get your autograph? I'm a huge fan of your work and music."

I laughed. "Of course. You definitely earned it." Even when I was in my most serious role, people still got starstruck. I scribbled my signature on a napkin for her. 

As I left the coffee shop, I replayed today's events in my mind. Leo and Mia were right. I did freeze. If the conditions were right, I could have gotten us all killed. Luckily, that wasn't the case but still. Joe really caught me off guard today. For the stress that he caused me, I hoped he enjoyed his visit to the museum. All that mattered now was that I was safe, he was safe, and I had the device. It was finally time to go home.

Joe's POV

"I've got take away!" I called into the apartment as I stepped in. I picked up dinner from Fido on the way back from downtown. 

Taylor popped her head up from the couch. "Where's it from?" She looked settled in for the night with her hair down and sweat pants on.

I placed the bags on the counter and took out silverware from the drawer. "I stopped by Fido on my way back from downtown."

She walked into the kitchen to grab her food. "Wow, you are the best. How was your day exploring Nashville?" 

We took a seat around the bar. "It was fun. I wish I could have done it with you as my tour guide," I told her. 

"You really don't. We wouldn't make it out of this apartment without paparazzi if that were the case," she chuckled. 

"How are you feeling about this morning? You know with the paparazzi? We didn't really get to talk about it because you had to leave."

"I mean, it's not like we can do anything about it now. It was bound to happen eventually."

I nodded. I could tell that she was still disappointed, but she was right. We couldn't do anything about it now. "I'm going to grab some more napkins, do you need anything else?" I walked around the bar to the other counter to grab the napkin holder when I noticed something familiar on the counter. 

"Hey Taylor?"

Having just taken a big bite of her sandwich, she mumbled "Mhhmm?"

I picked up the flash drive that I delivered to Natalie's source earlier today and held it up for her to see, "Where did you get this?" 

"Oh, it's just from work," she replied quickly. 

I set the device back down on the counter. I knew it was ours when I ran my finger over the back of it feeling the signature raised lettering of our devices. How did Taylor get this? This was supposed to have been delivered to a department head in the CIA immediately before MI6 realized the information was stolen. 

Taylor continued to look at me with concern. "Is everything okay?"

And then, I put two and two together. "Fuck," I let slip. Taylor's 'meetings' weren't with the label. If they were, they weren't all day. She was at the drop site. How could I not have predicted that? She's a top agent. I could only hope that she hadn't looked at any of the files on the device yet. This was not how it was supposed to happen. Maybe we had both slipped up this operation. I still had to deliver the intel on the device to the right people before it was too late. But, before that could happen I decided that it was time that she hear the truth straight from me instead of finding out from someone else, probably her boss. 

I looked her straight in the eyes and said, "we need to talk."

-- 

Wow, this ended up being way longer than I thought it would be. Hope you enjoyed!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6K 122 14
An imagining of the whirlwind romance between a certain world-famous pop star and her NFL beau, What Comes With It is the story of the search for tru...
138K 4.8K 34
Taylor Swift was know as the love guru, literally. It was he job to help those find love. But she was never that good at finding it herself. That is...
88.9K 1.9K 40
Twelve years ago, at the peak of a turbulent phase in her career, Taylor Swift retreated from the glaring public eye, embarking on her longest hiatus...
59K 1.3K 38
Life is tough. We all know that. But when you're the child of superstar Taylor Swift and her former boyfriend Harry Styles, life isn't just tough. It...