You are Mine

By MarieHiggins

Jessica Simone has earned her nursing degree, and when she's sent to a hospital in Nebraska, she feels the Lo... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Epilogue

Twelve

896 94 3
By MarieHiggins

Wyatt stared down at the one man who ruined his life. Once he was finished with Deputy Workman, he'd pay dear Nurse Tweed a surprise visit.

His memory had returned, and he had sweet Jessica to thank for that. Although he couldn't wait to tell her and explain to her what really happened after the war and why he hadn't returned home, he first needed to threaten a so-called man of the law. Wyatt would rather see the man hung from a tree, but it wasn't his place to do the hanging even if the man deserved every bit of torture.

Slowly, Deputy Workman stood. Wyatt glared at him and pointed his pistol at the man's heart. "Keep your hands where I can see them."

"What can I help you with, sir?"

"My name is Wyatt Ryker, and you have my wife. I've come to collect what you stole from me."

The other three men backed away from the table, giving Wyatt room to do what needed to be done. If he had to kill the deputy, he'd do it, but not before the man told him where he kept his wife.

"Now Mr. Ryker, I don't know what you mean. I haven't seen Sarah for almost six months now."

Revenge grew faster inside Wyatt. The man was a liar. "That's not what I've heard. I have been asking around, and everyone had pointed me in your direction." He motioned toward the Opium on the table. "And since I know you are stealing from the hospital, I think you should tell me what I need to know. I assure you, I'll forget about your side business if you return my wife to me."

"Your informants were wrong." Workman shook his head. "I might have seduced your wife six months ago, but she means nothing to me now, so why would I bring her with me to Bennington, Vermont?"

Hatred for this man filled Wyatt, and anger took over his mind and body. Screaming, he rushed toward the deputy and fired his gun. The man clutched his chest and staggered backward before falling to the ground. Blood spread across his shirt and vest quickly.

The other three men didn't stop Wyatt, but instead, grabbed as much Opium as they could and dashed out of the stable. Wyatt didn't care what the other did. He was only here for the deputy, anyway.

As he stood over the deputy and watched him bleed out, Wyatt realized the man was still alive. The bullet must not have hit him in the heart. Then again, watching the man struggle with the knowledge that he was dying, was good enough revenge.

Wyatt placed the burning torch in the dirt, extinguishing the flames before he quickly reloaded his pistol. While the man was still alive, he'd torture him in other ways.

"Why... why..." Deputy Workman's body trembled as he glanced at his bloody hands.

"I didn't like your answer. Now, are you going to tell me where you have taken my wife?"

The man's face slowly turned white as he nodded. "She's at my house – as my wife."

The pain of betrayal sliced through Wyatt. Had Sarah been forced to live as the deputy's wife? Wyatt knew for sure that she wouldn't have gone willingly. "Wrong answer again." He pointed his gun at the man's head.

"Nooo!!"

A woman's voice screeched through the stable, echoing all around him. He glanced toward the back. Jessica ran toward him with tears streaming down her cheeks. His gut twisted. What was she doing here? But it didn't matter. He wouldn't let her stop him.

* * * *

Jessica couldn't take it anymore. She had to stop Wyatt. She had to remind him about the man he used to be before joining the war. He was kind, and he never acted on his revenge.

She'd digest the shock of hearing he was married to another woman, later, only because she couldn't handle that right now.

Hugh tried to stop her, but she pushed past him and ran toward Wyatt, screaming. When he saw her, his facial features registered with surprise for a moment, but soon he returned his scowl to Deputy Workman.

"No, Wyatt. Don't kill him." She reached his side and grasped his arm, trying to pull his arm away. "You're not that kind of man."

He pushed her away and returned his aim to the deputy. "I am now. The war changed me. This evil man changed me even more."

Panicked, she glanced at the injured man lying on the ground. "Look at him. He's dying."

"I'm glad," Wyatt snapped.

"Help... me," the deputy pleaded as he gazed at Jessica.

Usually, this was when she was the first one to help someone who needed help, but she was more worried about what Wyatt would do. She shook her head. "Tell him what he needs to know, and then I'll help you."

"I told him... already." The deputy grimaced. "She's at my house."

Jessica turned to Wyatt, grasping his arm again. "Go get her. I'll keep him alive long enough for you to see if she is really there."

Tears filled his eyes. "She'd better be there," he told the deputy before turning back to Jessica. "I don't know where he lives."

"I do." Hugh had been standing in back of Wyatt, keeping an eye on him and Jessica. Hugh moved toward Wyatt. "Let me show you."

Wyatt shook his head, keeping his gun steady. "I don't trust you or anyone at the hospital."

"Wyatt," Jessica said, touching him again. "You can trust Hugh. I trust him with my life."

Wyatt's gaze narrowed on her. "You do?"

"Yes. Let Hugh give you directions."

Slowly Wyatt lowered the gun and nodded. He followed Hugh out of the stables. Immediately, she fell to her knees beside the deputy and ripped open his vest and shirt. The gunshot wound was close to his heart, and she was sure that the man would die, especially if the bullet was still inside him.

"Can you save my life?" Deputy Workman gasped.

She arched an eyebrow. "I wish I didn't have to, but I'm a nurse, and helping people is what I do."

Using his shirt, she ripped off pieces and bunched them put to use to press against his wound. If she couldn't stop the bleeding this way, he would be dead for sure. But it wouldn't be for a lack of trying to keep him alive. She was a petite woman, but she was strong, and as she pressed both hands against the wound, she could tell that the blood flow wasn't as heavy.

"Laura..." He took a ragged breath. "It was her idea to see the Opium."

"Why did you want Wyatt dead?"

"For two reasons." He gasped and groaned in pain. "I was in love with his wife. And... because he knew what Laura and I were doing."

"How did he know?" she asked, but concentrated on stopping the blood.

"About three weeks ago, he came looking for Sarah, asking questions all over. One man led him here. When Laura realized that he knew, she sent him with other men to an empty field near Rockingham. She paid off a man to fire a cannonball at the men. We thought they all died, until the sheriff found Wyatt and brought him to the hospital. Laura tried to kill him slowly, as she kept giving him some kind of cream. It helped that he didn't remember anything. Then you showed up, and he miraculously started healing."

She gritted her teeth. Why was she keeping the deputy alive? She really wanted him dead, just like Wyatt had. But it wasn't in her to kill – only heal.

The pounding of a horse's hooves from outside brought her attention to the front of the stable. Hugh quickly stopped the horse and dismounted. As his long strides carried him toward her, he nodded.

"Wyatt found her."

She let out a relieved sigh. "Thank you for being honest with Wyatt. But unfortunately, I don't think we can save your life."

"But we can try." Hugh tried turning the deputy to look at his back. Jessica figured he was trying to see if there was an exit wound that the bullet made.

"No." The deputy groaned loudly. "Death is near. I can feel it."

She relaxed the pressure on his chest and sat back on her legs. "Deputy Workman? I know I'm not a priest, but do you have any last words before you die?"

Tears spilled from his eyes and ran into his ears. "All I wanted was a happy life."

"And selling Opium illegally and kidnapping other men's wives was the way to make you happy?" Hugh asked. "You should have just been yourself and been grateful for those things you had."

The deputy took another shaky breath. "Please make sure that Laura pays for her crimes, too."

"Oh, believe me," Jessica answered with conviction, "I will."

The deputy took another breath before he closed his eyes for the last time. Jessica watched him for a few moments, wondering what would drive a man to act in such a way. What a sad, miserable life he must have lived.

"How are you holding up?" Hugh asked, slipping an arm around her shoulders.

"Remarkably well, considering everything that has happened."

He kissed her head and rubbed her shoulder. "It was quite a shock to hear Wyatt had a wife."

"Indeed." She pushed off her knees and stood. Hugh rose up beside her and took her in his arms.

"I'm sorry you had to hear the news that way."

She shrugged. "I was going to hear it one way or another."

Using his fingers, he lifted her chin until she met his gaze. "You don't seem very upset about it."

"Strange, but I don't think I am. I thought I was in love with him, but I was only in love with his memory. When I met you, and you started making me feel things that I'd never felt before, I was very confused. I didn't know why you made my heart flutter with happiness when it should have been Wyatt doing that. And last night, Wyatt kissed me, but..." She chuckled lightly when Hugh's eyes widened. "But I was astounded to think that he still couldn't make me feel like I was walking through the clouds – not as you can."

Hugh grinned. "In other words, deep in your heart, you knew you loved me?"

"Yes, even though I fought it. I thought if I gave into my feelings, that I was betraying Wyatt." She shrugged. "Which is probably why when I heard that he had a wife, I wasn't upset."

"So, my love," he swiped his knuckles over her cheek, "do you think I have reason to be jealous of anyone else?"

"No. I love you, and only you."

"Those, my darling Jessica, are the words I've been longing to hear since our first kiss."

Happiness filled her, and she leaned her head against his chest. "Good. Get used to them, because I'll be saying them to you for a very long time."

Just as their lip met, she heard an animal-like growl come from the back of the stable. Jessica jumped back just in time to see Laura Tweed running toward them, holding a thick stick. The hatred in her eyes was evil, but Jessica wasn't afraid.

"You killed him!" Laura screamed and raised the thick stick, swinging it toward them.

Hugh pulled Jessica out of the pathway, but he was struck in the head. He stumbled and fell. But he was still conscious, barely. He touched the spot on his head where the stick had met his skull, and a small amount of blood coated his fingers.

"I'm all right," he told Jessica.

Red, hot anger surged through her, and she turned to meet her adversary. She didn't care that the older woman had a weapon, Jessica could take this woman down within five minutes – or less.

"We didn't kill him," Jessica snapped. "Wyatt did. He remembered everything. And you, dear head nurse, will be going to jail for a very long time."

"You have no proof." Laura snarled.

"Actually, we do." Jessica lifted a chin victoriously as she and the other woman circled each other like animals ready to pounce. "We have the confession of a dying man, who, I might add, made us promise that you would pay for your crimes."

"You can't make me pay for my crimes if you're dead."

Laura swung the stick. Jessica ducked, but the piece of wood knocked off her nurse's hat. She took that opportunity to lundge at the other woman. Jessica plowed her head into the woman's chubby middle. Laura gasped and lost her footing, falling on her backside. She cradled her middle as she gasped for air.

Although Jessica should stop while she was ahead, she was just too upset at the woman for the way she had treated the patients at the hospital. Jessica was bitter about the way Laura treated the other nurses, especially her. Indeed, the woman had to pay and pay dearly.

Fisting her hand, she swung a punch toward Laura's face. Her fist conntected directly with the older woman's nose. Cracking of bones filled the air, as well as the painful wail coming from the woman.

Jessica stood back, assessing the damage. She couldn't stop the smile from stretching across her face. It felt good to be able to put the so-called nurse in her place.

Now, all they needed was the sheriff to arrive, and today would have been a very successful day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Nurse By Sarah Jane

Historical Fiction

54.5K 2.5K 33
With war raging all around, some battles can't be won... ♠ The year was 1916, Elosie Keller was dwelling in a secluded Belgian cottage where she rema...
41 8 4
Mae's world turns upside down when her long-time crush, Jeremiah, unexpectedly becomes her teacher's assistant, reigniting her feelings. Though she t...
18.3K 1.9K 54
Loss united them. Will it also tear them apart? When her staff abandon her before opening her new restaurant, Sophie, an aspiring chef who refuses to...
6.4K 681 23
Mallory finds herself brokenhearted when she loses the love of her life in a tragic accident. She's left to pick up the pieces of her life with the h...