Trials of love

By Clarajemmanuel

Right from when she was five, Hope, gained the name Everest from her mother depicting mountain Everest, due t... More

INTRODUCTION
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER FIVE

16 6 0
By Clarajemmanuel

"Hello, son."

They both turned to the door. One with a startled expression—the other a delightful one. The latter, an eager woman who obviously had been awaiting the arrival of the newest interrupter, sighed in great relief.

A chubby woman in her late fifties: Richly dressed in blue satin gown bathed with emerald stones that swept the sparkling tiled floor. Gold necklace adorned her neck matching her earrings, bracelet and six gold rings on her two three middle fingers.

Daniel... Sometimes wonder why that appease his mother greatly. A goddess of fashion who extracts pleasure in detailing just how wealthy she happened to be by her appearance. He was sure her wardrobe contains hundreds of clothes she really didn't like—but acquired with the notion of proving to herself her capabilities at spending her money.

Melissa, smiled at her grimly. But, Daniel saw beyond her facade. At the excitement brewing in her eyes.

He narrowed his eyes.

His dear mother... Seeming to see only what the outside entails... Raised a brow at her son.  "All fine?"

Daniel, tried to understand when his mother had turned to a match maker. Also whether she somehow got blind during her introduction to, Melissa that she thought to bring her home.  Forced him to accommodate her even against his will. He had disliked her the instant he set his eyes on her... And shuffling back through the history of his life, there was no hope for people he didn't find interesting at first sight.

For his mother's sake, he tried to work up at best a tiny bit of desire she showed him, instead a not too pure image of his ex kept flashing in and out his mind. Taunting him, tormenting his sanity.

What is it about, Eva that troubled his heart. Is he in anyway bound by a spell casted by her... Worst he found it almost impossible to control the power he feared she has over the organ deep within his muscled chest.
That... Hadn't been the deal, Daniel reminded himself. He has every right to change the rules his body outline. Needed to regimen himself to suit his wish.

He had thought he proved beyond doubt to himself of how bad she had been in his life. No way would he allow himself to fit back his ruthless ex. An insensitive cold woman. She gave no damn about him so why should he care? If only he could break the bounds and settle down with, Melissa... Maybe it might all vanish like it had never happened. Like they had never met... Wrapped each other up in hugs... Kisses...

Daniel, groaned louldy.

Nothing is impossible. If only not through, Melissa, with other woman out there willing to love and cherish him unconditionally. A woman who wouldn't take him for granted thereby making him hate even more the love word... Again.

Furious of a sudden, Daniel's eyes focused on the older women. "Mother__"

"I can see you both are getting along pretty well." Monica, waved dismissively. A cynical smile in place.

"Mum... I don't want to... I really don't wish to hurt your feelings or her. And I also don't need mine to be tampered..." He hesitated when his mother rounded her eyes indicating he quickly abort his mission.
Refusing to abide by the stinky eye, he continued, "tell her to leave my house this instant." He didn't look at the lady in question to gauge her reaction, but he felt it hit at him so hard he inhaled to  regulate his breath. "I am not interested. In fact marriage is not... I mean I'm not ready to be stuck with a woman for life."

Looking into his mother's eyes, Daniel took notice of the fast developing liquid glistening in there. "No, mum! Just don't... Mum... No..."

She grinned.

And all he saw there wasn't tears... but a spark of something menacing.

"Like seriously, mum?"

"You are thirty-three, son." Her voice rattled like the crack of bone. "My first issue!"

"Please, stop it!" Daniel's, voice rose for the first time at his mother. Angry she found it best to dictate his life, who he weds... His patience drained.

Her eyes bulged. "I am your mother. So__"

"So you stay out of my business. I'm a full grown man, not a kid!" He brushed past her puffing hot breath. After taking four steps, he stopped, stormed back, "it's my future. I'm the one to live with whomever I choose, not you. I don't picture her with me, so desist from telling me who to tie the knot with."

Melissa, gasped. Staggered back an inch as though hit by a brick. The blatant rejection seemed to squeezed her heart that she struggled not to pass out at the spot.

They hadn't even get to know each other and he hated her. Had she done something wrong? Why does he treat her in such breaking manner. How horrific was it to him that she showed him how much she admire him that she was willing to let him bed her the first day. She found him worthy of a companion... A man she unrelentingly wishes to spend her forever with the moment she set her eyes on him... Told about, actually. Could another woman... Be the reason behind his refusal of her advances.

Being a many women dream, the probability of another shitty-dirty-harlot taking the attention away from her, incensed her to the core. Couldn't she have him all to herself in peace... Without struggles and her getting hurt?

Monica, glared furiously at her son. She knew how stubborn and determined he always had been. A personality and charisma that had grew through the years. A trait he inherited from his grandfather. Arguing with him in front of the already shattered lady wouldn't bode well for neither of them.  Melissa's, father was already in support of the union. Learning about the tossle would definitely uncage the cantankerous in him. A tool that had fetched him his riches. So familiar with what he was capable of doing.

Monica, inspected the slightly trembling, Melissa. Blamed herself for not seeking, Daniel's consent before instructing she stay with him for at least five days for them to get to know each other well enough in every aspect.

She needed the partnership and deal as swiftly. Melissa's, father had stated clearly that without marriage, there won't be any partnership. Money always comes first as far as she was concerned. With, Melissa into the family, the rich cycle continues. And what a magnificent achievement it would be... But... She somehow feared her son might settle for less. Worst she needed no gold digger infiltrating their beautiful life.

"Give us a minute, dear." Monica, whispered to, Melissa. Fighting back rage building inside of her.
When, Melissa hesitated, she flashed her a smile that from afar it appeared to be as genuine as it can get. However looking closely, it looked more like the snarl of a Cheshire cat.

Melissa, downed her face, and stalked upstairs. When she reached the top of the staircase, she glared down at them briefly before letting herself into a room from where they heard the burst of a cry.

Watching the vacant space where, Melissa had last occupied till she vacated, it somewhat calmed his temper. She was good looking. Might be a satisfying sight to behold if it wasn't for the feelings he housed for a certain impossible woman. He would have made her his the moment she showed up.

That admission caused, Daniel to shake inwardly.

Monica, started pacing like an old tiger. Her thin lips, thinned further forming two inches line. Like she always do when: Anxious, nervous or angry. She turned once more to her son. Her brown eyes pierced his inherited once.  "Do... You know how I got married to your father?" She said barely below a growl. You could tell her current battle at containing her temper.

Daniel, wanted to... Almost rolled his eyes. Prevented himself a second earlier because that would be all shade of improper. Not that he cared being proper, this was his mother. And mothers should be respected, no matter how annoying they could possibly prove to be sometimes... Well, he straightened more.  "Of course, I do." he gave his reply calmly. She had told and recounted the story a million times... Not like he kept record of it... But each week at their once in a week family dinner, she never fail to retell it to him and his sister. It was starting to bore him to death. His baby sister dozed off at the middle of the epic tale the last time it was shared. And here he was to go through the toture of having to stand through it. He scowled.  "Mum..."

"Your father..." She began, her eyes turned blank as she drifted back years ago. "... Was the son of a minister. While my father owned, WTB: World trust__"

"Yes, yes. I kn__"

"Silence!" She barked. Obviously in the present and not completely lost in the past. "...World trust bank." She completed. Her face contorted to a sweet-sour grimace. "Our parents struck up a business deal. That was how they decided to bond more by joining us their children in marital bliss." She angled her head, peered astutely at him. "At first I felt it wasn't right. I entertained even the thought of running away..."

Daniel, sighed. He had never heard this part. That sparked his interest a tiny bit.

"... My father, your grandfather sat me down. He talked to me like he would his closest friend. Disclosed a lot of things in life I my then young self wasn't aware of. Encouraged me make a try." She focused back on, Daniel. "When I finally succumbed, I realized it was the best decision I made. The best thing that ever happened to me."

Not your decision though... Daniel didn't say that out loud.

"You can also testify to the love your father showered upon me. Me to him in reciprocation. He became my confident, my best friend. Each day we spent was worth it. Everyday, I fell in love with him over again." Her eyes misted.

Daniel, felt disgusted at himself when his mind travelled to, Eva. He sincerely believed his mother about loving his father till his death. That, at least should have diverted his attention to the matter at hand instead of thinking about a woman... He groaned again... This time like a wounded beast. The thought of her always made his heart to leap. Chill splattered right round his spine. His chest swelled with longing.

He still want her. If only to crush his lips to hers and... And... The softness of her skin. He needed to feel it as much as he needed oxygen.

Vigorously, he desired her.

Should have her.

Must have her.

Daniel, admitted shamelessly. How pathetic? Here his mother was talking about a present woman, and he was reminiscing about a ruthless lady.

Holding himself no more, Daniel forgo his rule about being decent, he rolled his eyes to the ceiling and back at his mother.

Her brow ached up in surprise.
"You think that pathetic, don't you?"

"What exactly?" Daniel, forced himself to reality.

"I didn't fall in love with your father in a day. When I did, I realized he was my flatulent man and partner." She paused. "Melissa, is a nice woman. And from a well reputable family." A very, very wealthy one, it also said by her expression. "I see my grandchildren in her."

Involuntarily, Daniel smirked. Tucked his tongue to his cheek. Wanting nothing more than to hear no more of that crap.

"You are my only son. I want the best for you and would stop at nothing till I get it for you. I won't deceive you. Your dad is gone and I__"

"Mum!" Daniel, cut in briskly. He wasn't about to let her indulge him in her emotional session. He was sure his father wouldn't agree to the arrangement if he was alive. Might allow it, if only he also wanted it. His father, Mr Johnson, never made him feel less of a man. He had always respected his decision and support him in whatever way possible. "I will bring home a good woman myself when the time is right. And when that happens, you'd be the first to know even before introducing her to you." He said that last part in a bid to calm his mother. "As for, Melissa I've told you earlier and again that I am not interested in her." His middle finger up and lowered directly to the floor indicating the six last words.

Monica's furry tore free to the surface. Her eyes widened and wild. Her two hands jammed at her waist. "How soon is that?" Realizing what she'd said, she quickly stole a glance guilty up the stairs.

"As soon as I find one."

"Don't you dare bring in a wretched poor background lady into the family. You will never have my blessing if you do." Monica, snapped losing control again. Once more, she looked up the stairsteps to make certain she wasn't heard by a certain someone.

Daniel, almost laughed at his mother's reaction... Bitter laugh was what he nearly unleashed.
Arguing with his dear mother's like attempting to smash into two the amazing Zuma rock with spatula. He decided to end it for now. "Fine. Tell her to leave my house immediately." He ordered.

"Don't be mean." She admonished. Her voice low. "I'm giving you five month. Only five months, or else you are going to marry, Melissa whether you like it or not." She scowled. "Use wisely the chance I offered you. You are not getting another next time. My parent never did oblige me with one. Count yourself lucky." With that said, she pushed past him and up the stairs.

Daniel, lowered on the sofa. Shut his eyes in an endeavor to think straight. His mother was making it quite hard for him. She wouldn't mean to experiment her history on him.  As a self-made man, he desire no one to control him. Now wasn't the time to demonstrate his point, Daniel mused. When the time comes, she wouldn't do anything about the woman he chooses for himself.

Eva... Eva... Why does the name kept intruding his mind when he considers getting a partner to spend his forever with. Is there something he could do about...

His hearing registered the clattering of foot steps descending the stairs. Pity stirred in him for, Melissa. If only another way to help the situation presented itself...

"Daniel."

The manner to which his mother called his name startled him. He opened his eyes.

"Daniel!" Monica, called again.

He gazed over his shoulder at them. Knowing his feet felt so weak. "We might talk later, mum."

"Might?"

"Will, mum." He groaned.

He's been doing that quite a lot lately. He wouldn't make it a habit.

Her brow furrowed. She glowered at him. "Is that how to see your visitor off?"

"Oh..." Daniel, got to his feet. Wondering what she expected him to do with, Melissa.  Nevertheless, he marched towards them. Melissa's face downcast. Her small luggage wrapped losely In her hands. Her shoulder sagged like that of a rabbit in the rain. He couldn't see her face as he approached. He figured her posture as an indication of her silent weeping.

Only he was wrong...

So wrong...

When she raised her head, a bolt of shock hit him... He alone witnessed the treacherous smile and the glint of triumph in her dark orbs... Because she took a step back so his mother wouldn't see it. And right when, Monica turned to look at her, it vanished under the carpet of sadness now hovering on her oval face.

What was that...?

"Daniel," Monica, shouted dragging him from his rioting thought. "We are waiting."

He blinked. Once, twice. "What do you want me to do?"

"Like seriously you have to ask?" Monica, raised the corner of her upper lip. "A grown man asking what to do with a beautiful woman? Are you for real?"

Daniel, scanned his mother. Returned a questioning look at. Melissa, whom this time, smirked. The same glint he failed to understand returned in full blown force. His hands sought his shorts pocket. "Melissa..."

"Goodbye, Dan." Melissa, said. And she was out.

"Melissa," Monica, muttered. When she didn't return, she glared at her son. Back to the entrance door. "Melissa," she called again. The nicely shaped woman walked in. Another version of shock hit, Daniel. On her face, was a mask of utmost pain.

How does she manage to switch that in a blink? Daniel, observed curiously. This showed how dangerous she could be. 

"I shall talk to your parents myself." Monica, told her. Certainly choosing to do the breaking news instead of, Melissa. With the young woman, she might ruin her chance of cornering the affluential family.

With a nod, Melissa left.

Daniel, could swear she winked at him. "Mum..." he stared at the door, "... Did you see that?" He yanked his hand from his pocket.

"The only think I see is a hurting woman." Monica, stated.

Expelling a loud breath, Daniel wiped his mouth with his left palm. "That... was exaggerated."

"What are you talking about." Monica, scoffed.

"She is not hurting in anyway or form. Feigned it to earn your pity."

"Quit trying to ease your guilt by accusing the poor... Uhm... Nice girl." She glared some more. "Imagine the feeling of being rejected by someone you love."

Alright, Daniel did imagine. And it wasn't a happy imagination.

He grimaced.

It hurt real bad when you truly needed that person and not for selfish reason.

"I admit, it isn't funny," he admitted matter of factly. "But__"

"There is no, 'but'. Find a way to make it up to her." Monica, veered and started for the door.

"Mum..."

Turning, she looked a him for a full minute, she sighed. "Good day, son." The door banged shut behind her.

Daniel, shook his head. Chuckled humorlessly burying the need to glare up at the challandier and growl.

        *********************

Another chapter. Thank you for reading and don't forget to drop a vote.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

920K 27.3K 38
Nov, 09, 2020 : #1 in romance May, 14, 2021 : #1in respect May, 14, 2021 : #4 in lovestory "Don't try and act all nice to me. I know girls like you...
650K 39.6K 58
Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it a memory... You know you're in love when you can say anything to the person and you know t...
211 4 25
"You know what, you are fucking worthless." he chuckles and keeps pacing forward."E-Evan please L-let me go." I whimper in pain.His grip my shoulder...
3.3K 837 62
" Olivia, I liked you from the moment you hiccuped your way into my life. It's funny really but it's the truth. I also wasted a lot of time and this...