Moonlight House (Book 2, Lons...

By moudenes

Moonlight House, the "it" place to eat, have a drink, dance to great live music and meet new people, becomes... More

Chapter 1 - The Club
Chapter 2 - Purple
Chapter 3 - Surprise
Chapter 4 - Flairtending
Chapter 5 - Roommates
Chapter 6 - Safe
Chapter 7 - Sommer
Chapter 8 - Glow
Chapter 9 - Chocolate
Chapter 10 - Damaged
Chapter 11 - Crush
Chapter 12 - Sous Chef
Chapter 13 - Imperfect
Chapter 14 - Tea
Chapter 15 - Key
Chapter 16 - Reasons
Chapter 17 - Compensation
Chapter 18 - Tried
Chapter 19 - Second Date
Chapter 21 - Red Blur
Chapter 22 - Birthday
Chapter 23 - Glass
Chapter 24 - Confessions
Chapter 25 - Dinner
Chapter 26 - Five
Chapter 27 - Grounded
Chapter 28 - Deli
Chapter 29 - Pink
Chapter 30 - Stitches
Chapter 31 - Back
Chapter 32 - Schedules
Chapter 33 - Movies
Chapter 34 - Truth
Chapter 35 - Next
Chapter 36 - Presents
Chapter 37 - (Un)Happy New Year
Chapter 38 - Flutters
Chapter 39 - Answers
Chapter 40 - Bed and Breakfast
Chapter 41 - Stars
Chapter 42 - Empanadas
Chapter 43 - Braveheart
Chapter 44 - Fifty
Moonlight House - The Playlist

Chapter 20 - Sleep Talker

3.9K 225 30
By moudenes

ERIN

The alarm goes off and I turn it off while my eyes are still closed to enjoy my bed for a few minutes longer. Last night was eventful, but certainly fun. I was really nervous when I announced our new song to the crowd. We took a risk by changing the party rock mood with something mellow. When I started singing, I didn't dare to look at the public and stared at the distance. I wasn't ready for rejection on what's a piece of my soul. Then I looked at Noah and saw him smiling. I followed his gaze to find people with their drink glasses raised and others in half hugs singing with us. Matthew watched me from the bar and I couldn't see his face properly but somehow, I felt his positive energy. He convinced me to do it after all and seeing the reaction of our younger clubbers I finally felt free.

I could have lived without the encounter with Wendy, but I had no control over that. I don't think I've seen her before at Moonlight House and there was no way either Matt or I would have known she'd be there. He felt so embarrassed, but we reassured him that we've experienced wilder things at the club and he shouldn't feel responsible about what happened with Wendy. He eventually relaxed and seemed to enjoy the rest of the evening. What I find unbelievable about the situation with Wendy is that she cheated on Matt, yet she behaves as if it was the opposite.

Adam took me aside before the club closed and scolded me for not taking her attack seriously. I don't understand why he got so upset about it. I didn't provoke it and we were surrounded by our security guys. In any case, it was as absurd as other situations we have experienced. My only conclusion is that Adam is still on alert because we still don't know Duncan's whereabouts. It was me this time with a jealous bitch, next time it could be someone trying to do harm to Imogen.

I feel Matt's warmth next to me and open my eyes to watch him sleep. In the morning light, I realize that he has little freckles on his nose and looks like an adventurer with his beard stubble and shaggy hair. I like him... A lot. More than I let show. It fascinates me how he views the world and finds beauty even in the smallest details. It charms me that he doesn't make a move unless I let him know that it's okay. After the club closed, we took a taxi home as he had some drinks. It worried me slightly because I had never seen him tipsy and didn't know if he could keep his good behavior once we were alone.

I left him in my room while I went to shower. On my way to the bathroom, I saw a purse on the coffee table which obviously belonged to Marisol. The idea that Sam was sharing his bed with her made me smile. My interactions with Marisol have been brief, but I find her perfect for him. She's genuine, has a good sense of humor and when she comes to the club for lunch she stares at Sam in the loveliest of ways. When I returned to my bedroom, I found Matt sitting on my bed.

"Sweetheart, I thought you would be in bed by the time I came back. You must be exhausted after the long day."

"It's okay. I didn't feel it was right to do it without you."

Matt took off his jeans, socks and shoes, and kept his t-shirt and boxers on. I tried not to stare too long at his nice body and hot legs. I opened the bed covers and patted the space next to me. He got under the thick blanket and looked lost on what to do next.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I said while turning on my side to look at him.

"After what happened tonight, I thought you might have changed your mind."

"Wendy or anyone like her will never ruin my evening," I laughed. "Especially not after performing our song and seeing how people reacted to it. Thank you for giving me the push I needed."

"It was a special moment and I'm glad I was there to witness it. Erin, I have to be honest. This whole thing about you being cool about my career and accepting me with all my flaws is kind of new. I hope you don't get bored eventually."

"Bored? I don't think I can ever get bored talking with you about anything." His sleepy yawn was the sign to stop talking, but there was one more thing I wanted to know. "What do you think of Claire?"

"I like her a lot. Smart, great sense of humor and easy to talk to. She's also feisty and that's quite amusing coming from a small woman like her. During your performance, your brother took a quick glance at his phone, probably to check the time, and she gave him a death stare. He put it away immediately and apologized. Maybe I'm wrong, but are they attracted to each other? I got that vibe from them."

"We all believe they are. I don't know if Adam has realized it himself. I hope he does, because his last serious relationship was five years ago. I believe he feels lonely and throws himself into his work. It's not healthy for him to be so busy all the time."

"Not healthy indeed. And when was the last time you had a boyfriend?"

"About a year ago. I've told you I'm not jealous by nature and seeing him chatting with a girl at the club was just normal for me because we all do it. Until one night when he arrived at the club with a few drinks in him already and started making out with a girl while I was singing. I felt like using my microphone cord as a lasso to strangle him, but that wouldn't have been professional. Noah saw it too and he too struggled to keep playing. Before the set finished, Rory had punched him and thrown him out of the club. I never saw him again."

"Now I'm slightly scared of Rory," he joked.

"I'm grateful for having so many caring and protective men around me. That idiot deserved more than a punch."

"Erin, I'm not that kind of guy. I also won't let anything happen to you."

I caressed his sleepy face and he yawned once more. The whole time we talked, Matt kept his hands to himself. I felt he needed to be rewarded within my limits.

"Matt, I would like it if we sleep closer. You can put your arms around me if you want."

Matt opened his arms and I cuddled with him. He kissed my forehead and I don't remember much else.

"Eleven thirty... And a new battery... Battery... Battery..." He mumbles and I cover my mouth to contain my laughter.

I keep quiet to see if he speaks again. He seems to go back to his peaceful sleep and I find it a shame that I will have to wake him up soon because this was funny as hell. Just as I'm grabbing my bathrobe he stirs again in his sleep.

"Orange juice... Wendy... No! Go away... No... Juice... I love Erin... LOVE ERIN!"

I choke on my spit while I laugh and get a cough fit. Matt sits on the bed and looks around scared and confused.

"I'm sorry," I try to breathe through my nose and the cough gets better.

"Are you okay?"

"Swallowed wrong and choked."

"Erin? Are you okay?" Sam asks from the other side of my door.

"I'm okay," I say towards him. "Choked in my spit."

"I didn't know Matt was here until I heard him shout that he loves you. I'm making pancakes. Are you guys joining Marisol and I for breakfast?"

Matt places his face in his hands, but I see the blush spreading down his neck.

"Sure, we'll join you for pancakes. Just give us some time to get ready."

I peel Matt's hands away from his face and make him look at me.

"I'm sorry. I know I talk in my sleep," he whispers.

"I just found out," I bite my lower lip to avoid smiling.

"It's gotten better. In college, I had to see a doctor because I was constantly waking up my roommate. It appears that I do that when I'm very stressed or don't sleep well. It's not a life-threatening thing, just annoying for the people sleeping close to me. Did I really say that I love you?"

"Among other things... And said it twice."

"My brain betraying the secrets of my heart," he chuckles. "Since the night we met, I'm surprised about how easy it is to be with you, to talk with you. I found myself wanting to tell you things and wanting to make plans with you. I tried to convince myself that this isn't healthy because I just came out of a toxic relationship. Then during this whole week, whenever I felt exhausted and frustrated, what kept me going was knowing that I would be talking with you in the morning. Erin, I think I'm going insane because I think I'm in love with you."

The way Matt is pouring out his heart is overwhelming. "You are not insane. Feeling love is never wrong. I also find myself wanting to tell you things when you are not around and many things remind me of you. I don't know yet if what I feel is love, because I'm still trying to be my old self, but I do care about you deeply."

"I can live with that."

After giving him a quick kiss on his lips, I hear the banging of kitchen drawers. "We should get out of bed before Sam comes knocking again. He hates to serve cold food."

We get dressed, and this time, I feel comfortable enough to change from my pajama to my clothes in front of him. Then I open the bedroom door and find Sam and Marisol making out in the kitchen while his pancakes are starting to burn.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.4K 3.7K 189
Dear Future Husband, Hey, it's me, the love of your life.
455K 16.9K 73
Two broken hearts coming together to heal, find love, and be happy, no matter what happens.
528K 11.4K 45
PUBLISHED - Link in bio 💕 The summer after her sophomore year in college, Mia takes time to heal after a failed relationship. In an attempt to move...
An Anthology By Hope

General Fiction

42 6 8
Like candy and heartbreak, moderation is key. An anthology of short stories.