Surviving the McLane Boys ('O...

By bacutie4eva

Hailey's life has been pretty normal and trouble free so far. If you categorise growing up with your all-male... More

PLEASE READ FIRST.
Chapter 1 - Meet the Boys
Chapter 2 - School, School, We Love School! Not.
Chapter 3 - Trent = Bad News
Chapter 4 - I'm Staying Where?
Chapter 5 - The Bike Ride, Claire, The Kitchen, My Room.
Chapter 6- What the McLane's Call 'Dinner'
Chapter 7 - Camera's are Dead to Me
Chapter 8 - The Cake
Chapter 9 - Meet Linc
Chapter 10 - The Perfect Costume
Chapter 11 - The Princess and her Knight
Chapter 12- Meet the Hayze Family
Chapter 14 - The Baseball Bat
Chapter 15 - Camping Out with the McLane's. A Bundle of Surprises.
Chapter 16 - Enter Emma
Chapter 17 - The Right Person?
Chapter 17.5 - The Siblings, The Party, The Pool Cleaner
Chapter 18 - A Mother's Love is Priceless
Chapter 19 - Normal Conversation
Chapter 20 - The Date... Or is it?
A Note From the Author Which She Should Have Posted Ages Ago
Chapter 21 - Black Out
Chapter 22 - Forgiveness is a Virtue... I think...
Chapter 23 - The Cheese and Jam
Chapter 24 - Definitely Friends
Chapter 25 - A Passionate Kiss in the Rain?
Wise-ish Sayings for the Confused and the Plain Confuzzled
Chapter 26 - Return of Lady Killer, Ecstacy & the Holy 8
Chapter 27 - It all happened in the shower
Chapter 28 - The Deal
Chapter 29 - Completely and Utterly Wasted
Chapter 30 - Secrets
Chapter 31 - Out for the Night
Chapter 32 - Enchanted Trees Suck
Chapter 33 - Part of the Family
Chapter 34 - Us
Chapter 35 - Fate needs to leave me alone.
Chapter 36 - Discussing world peace with a talking tree
Chapter 37 - Cinderella and her Fella
Message from the Author - NOT A CHAPTER
Another Message From Me

Chapter 13 - The Photo Shoot

258K 2.7K 732
By bacutie4eva

Chapter 13

"Ok, Yeah. Bye Lil. Love you." I hit the disconnect button and sigh.

 I might not have thought I would... but I actually miss Lily, Jay and Grae a bit... I called them to see how they were... but they were impatient to get off the phone. They seemed happy enough though so I decided to ignore the fact that they'd rather play Wii than talk to me...

"Are they all good?" I snap out of reverie and turn to Claire who's dunking a teabag into... her bowl of cereal...

"Sorry?"

"Are Lily and the twins doing well?"

I stare at the bowl of milk, "Uh, yeah... You do know your dunking your teabag in a bowl right?"

She looks down in surprise, "Shit." she mutters.

I stare at her in surprise. Claire never swears. She sees my expression and shrugs, "I can let loose every now and then. I'm not as uptight as you think I am."

I shake my head and continue eating my breakfast, or brunch really since its 11 o' clock. Today's a half day at school since the teachers are writing reports or something...

The doorbell rings and soon enough Linc's in the kitchen,

"Hello dear." Claire says with a smile, "Would you like something to eat?"

"No thanks Mrs McLane." He says.

"Claire."

"Sorry... Claire, my sisters been experimenting in the kitchen and I've been labelled as the guineapig... Thank you for the offer though. "

I laugh as he sits down at the table next to me, "I should be apologising for her burst of creativity in the kitchen since I was the one who gave her the cook book... but I won't." He shakes his head and takes a bite of my toast and a sip of my OJ, "I thought you were full?"

He rolls his eyes, "Getting the taste out."

"Have you started on your assignment? Sarah said she wants to see where we are at the moment."

He picks up an apple from the bowl of fruit in the middle of the table, "Sort of... I've been thinking I'll concentrate on blow glass... but then I've been thinking... I might do a bit of pottery too."

"So in other words, you haven't started."

"Well, you could say that but if you really look into what I've said-"

"Linc."

"No. I haven't. You happy?"

I pinch his cheek, "Awww poor Hippo, you want little old me to help you out?"

He groans, "Why do you keep calling me that?"

"It's cute!"

Claire laughs, "When I first started dating John his mom used to call him Kitty, consider yourself lucky Linc." She walks out of the kitchen with a wave.

Linc glares at me and I pinch his cheeks, "Awww Hippo. Don't make that face, you're such a cutie pie! Who's a cutie? You are, oh yes you are."

"Wow, I don't know if I should gag or help the poor guy out." Tristan says as he grabs the milk out of the fridge.

I stick my tongue out at him and grab Linc's hand, "Come on, I'll grab my bag and we'll go."

We head out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

"And where do you think you're going?" we stop and look down at the landing where John's standing, his arms crossed.

"Uh... upstairs?"

John looks at Linc with an icy smile, "Lincoln! How about you come down here and we can have a little chat."

Linc grins at me as I groan, "Grab your stuff and come down."

"But John wants to have a little chat."

"I'm used to it."

I turn around and start trudging the rest of the way up. "That's what's so sad." I say under my breath.

Once in my room, I take the dress I've finished from my wardrobe and zip it into one of those drycleaner bags to protect it. I grab my bag, some random stuff I think I'll need for art and the mannequin from the corner of my room and start to make my way downstairs without dropping everything.

"Need some help?" I turn very slowly in my awkward position to see Jake standing behind me.

He takes the dress from under my chin and I can finally relax my head, "Um... thanks." I mumble.

He nods, "I'll take that body thing."

"It's a mannequin."

"Whatever." He grabs it too and I get a better grip on the things I'm carrying so that they're not in danger of dropping onto the floor. "What's this for anyways?"

"Art." I say as I start to walk down the stairs. "Why are you talking to me?"

"Well, sorry it's such a crime."

I shake my head, "I really don't understand you. Remember what I said? Act like an ass and I won't talk to you. You've been an ass."

"Well I don't recall ever being told that I resemble the animals that you commonly see eating carrots dangling in front of them from a stick."

"I'm being serious." We stop near the bottom of the stairs, "Are you going to apologise or not? I didn't like what you said at the party and I really don't like the way you treated and still treat Linc. You haven't even given being nice a try."

Jake doesn't say anything; he puts the mannequin down and walks into the living room, "Dad, the birds are eating your peaches."

I watch in confusion as John rushes out of the room and into the kitchen. I hear the back door slam open and soon his shouts of 'Thieves!' and 'Get your own bloody fruit!' can be heard faintly...

I laugh quietly in disbelief as he continues to holler, "I shall call down the wrath of the American eagle! Then we'll see how you like being eaten!"

Soon enough you can hear Claire shouting too. "Would you just SHUT UP JOHNATHON! And get off that ladder! You'll just fall off the stupid garage and break your silly neck!"

I shake my head, Typical John...

"Thanks man," Linc says.

My attention goes back to the living room.

"It's ok. Dad's being a bit too uptight..." Jake replies. There's a pause, "Um, he got some tickets for a game tonight... Mom bailed so we've got an extra... Uh, you wanna come?"

"... Yeah. That'd be cool... if it's ok with your dad."

I can practically hear the grin in Jakes voice, "I'll keep him off your back."

They walk out of the living room together and I quickly drop down, hoping they won't see me eavesdropping on the stairs.

"Hailey?" Linc looks at me through the banister railing, "What are you doing?"

Dammit.

"Oh, uh, I lost my... uh earring."

"You've got both of them in though."

"I mean my... other one..." I continue on lamely.

Linc shakes his head and grabs the mannequin, "Well I guess we should be going then. You've got everything?"

I nod my head and he opens the door, "So what time do you want me to come over?" he says to Jake.

He shrugs, "Well you need to hurry back after school because we're leaving at 4."

I remember that Linc said he'd stay back with me since Mitch has a soccer match on tonight, "Oh! I forgot to tell you Linc, I've got a... um, Mitch said she'll give me a lift home tonight... after the match."

"She doesn't have a car."

"Uh... she does?"

He looks at me suspiciously and I smile innocently back at him, "...Ok then..." he turns to Jake, "I'll see you at 4 I guess."

He nods and Linc starts walking to his car, I stop at the door though and turn to Jake. "Thank you Jake. Really, thanks." I squeeze his hand and quickly let go. (I seriously can't manage a hug with all the things I'm carrying...)

He smiles a little, "I did some thinking... and I guess I just jumped to conclusions... I'll give being nice a try."

I grin and start to head towards Linc's car. I look over my shoulder, "Get me something from the game ok?"

He nods and I turn around again to see Linc having trouble fitting the mannequin into the car. I sigh, "You'll just have to put it in the front. I'll sit in the back." He pouts as he takes it out and I get in. "Well it looks like Jake's come around." I say happily.

"Yeah..."

I look back at him, surprised to hear a sad note in his voice, "What?"

He shakes his head and pulls the front seat forward again, "Nothing."

*

"Hailey! Wait up!" I turn around as Maddy catches up to me, once again carrying about 20 boxes.

I put down the mannequin, waiting for her outside the art room.

I grin at her, "Did you get some done?"

She grins back, "You are going to love it!"

"Hey Sarah!" we both say together as we walk into the room.

"Afternoon girls," she says breezily from behind the cupboard door. She steps back, holding holding a large box. Tyler walks in, "I restocked your favourite paper Tyler, so you can go crazy in the dark room today." She says, as she hands it over to him.

"Thanks." He mumbles.

"Good morning Baltiimooorreeeeeeee!!!!!!" Tom sings as he slides into the room.

"This is an art room Thomas, not a Broadway show," Sarah says, a smile tugging at her lips.

He shrugs, "Would you let me sing and dance today if I told you I had fairy bread?"

"No."

"Well I brought some," he pouts. He walks over to Maddy and slings his arm around her shoulder, making her blush, "Since you won't let me go after my dream to star in 'Hairspray' then I won't share with you. While you sit in here all bored out of your minds, Maddy and I will be practising for our auditions and eating fairy bread. Outside!"

"If your dream is to perform on a stage then why are you in my class?"

Maddy looks up at him, "That's what I want to know... And when did I become part of your drama troupe?"

"I have fairy bread." He grins.

She slips out from his grasp and starts to open up her boxes, "I think I'll pass." She laughs.

"Go sit down and share your fairy bread." Sarah says as she walks to her desk. 

He grumbles and sits down, taking out a batman lunchbox which actually is full of fairy bread...

I shake my head and I pull the drycleaners bag off of the dress I made and put it on the mannequin.

Sarah walks over and nods her head approvingly, "I can tell it was a good idea to let you and Maddy do this assignment together." She says as she squats down and fingers the hem of the dress. "The work on the bottom is amazing, How long did it take you?" she asks as she continues to study it.

I blush, "Um... It took a while... but I've been getting help..."

"It's going to look amazing all together." Maddy breathes, walking over to join Sarah. I blush again but smile, happy that they like it.

Sarah nods and stands up again, adjusting her trademark paintbrushes in her hair, "Let's see what Maddy's done then."

We walk over to the table and Maddy carefully takes out a large object wrapped in bubble wrap and cloth. She unwinds its protective cover to reveal a pair of pure white wings made out of feathers and small jewels which catch the light.  

"Oh. My. God." I say, absolutely shocked.

She grins, "Told you you'd like it."

I peer at the wings as I carefully trace my hands down them, "'Like' is an understatement! It's bloody amazing! This would have taken forever!"

She shrugs, "Well I got them done, didn't I?" I shake my head, speechless as a sly smirk plays across her face, "I think you should get changed now!"

"But Maddy!" I whine as she grabs the dress and shoves me towards the door.

"We'll be back!" She calls over her shoulder. Sarah nods to my dismay and I announce that I'm going to cry and kick up a tantrum.

"Don't be silly," Maddy chastises as she pushes me.

I bump into Linc as he walks into the classroom, "Whoa, morning gorgeous.  Why are we such a grumpy looking elf today?"

Maddy continues to shove me out the door as I pout, "We're going to get our first photo's done. Miss Grumpy boots here doesn't want to model them. I'm just taking her to the bathroom to get changed."

"Can I come?" he jokes.

"Why don't you wear the dress?" I say turning around.

He starts to back away, "Since you said it with such a creepy smile maybe not..."

I try a different smile and Maddy immediately pushes me right out the door, "Now that just makes you look like a serial killer."

She hustles me down the corridor and into the girl's bathroom. As soon as the door shuts she tries to shove me into a cubicle. I brace my hands on either side of the door frame.

"Get. In. Now." Maddy grunts, pushing me with all her might.

"No." I grunt back as I struggle to stay upright.

"Fine." She stops al of a sudden and I fall backwards onto the floor. Quick as a flash, she's attacking my pants and I'm trying to struggle away from her.

"Maddy! Ok! Fine! I'll wear the damn dress!"

She gets up with a triumphant smile and I shut the door in her face to show her I'm not happy.

"Then I'm just going to sort out your hairstylist." She calls out, "I'll be back in 5 minutes tops! You better have that dress on when I come back."

"Wait. You're getting my hair done too? Maddy! It's only a photo for the dress and the jewellery! It doesn't matter what my hair looks like!" I'm answered with the bathroom door slamming shut.

I sigh in exasperation and look down at the dress in my hands.

I don't want to wear it... I'll look like a total idiot... I'm not going to wear it... But Maddy will probably force me into it regardless....

I put it on.

I cautiously open the cubicle door, poking my head out to make sure no one else has come in. I step out and look at myself in the mirror. It doesn't look too bad...  I smooth my hands over the bodice and skirt and twist from side to side, making sure that everything fallen in the right way and nothing's too crumpled.

"Are you glad I made you wear it now?"

I whirl around and glare at Maddy as she and Anna walk in carrying a chair and a large duffel bag. "No."

She shrugs, "Suit yourself." She puts the chair down, facing away from the mirror, "Now sit."

I obediently do as she says, knowing any retaliation will end in bloodshed. My bloodshed.

*

"Thanks for the help Anna. And I'm sorry Maddy pulled you out of class..."

She smiles at me gently, "It's ok. I'm used to it." She walks off down the hallway, back to extensions English and I look after her nervously. I liked it better when there was at least one sane person around.

I turn to Maddy who's grinning from ear to ear. "You. Look. Incredible!"

I brush past her, "Let's go." I grumble. She hurries after me, carrying the duffel bag full of torture weapons which were used on me...

I stop outside the art room, "You, uh, better get Tyler... I'll wait here."

She throws the door open, "I now announce her holiness, Archangel Hailey!" and with that she shoves me inside.

"Ohhhhh! Hailey! I'm giving you an A+ right on the spot! You look like a real angel." Sarah gushes.

I blush and cross my arms over my chest as Tom walks around me, looking me up and down, "I'll give it an 8 out of 10. I can't see your legs." I kick him in the shin and as he hops around clutching at it he grins at me, "Ok, I'm bumping it back up to a 10 since I just found out there's a slit."

I grab Maddy's arm, "Let's go before Linc comes back."

"Too late." I turn around slowly to see Linc standing behind me, an appreciative smile playing across his lips. "You look amazing as usual." He puts down the huge slabs of clay he was holding down on the table and looks me up and down, "But I have to agree with Tom. Not enough legs."

Sarah starts to push me and Maddy out the door, "Ok then! I think some boys need to get back to their projects and cleaning up the fairy bread off of my nice clean floor!" she closes the classroom door behind her, "Tyler's set up on the oval so you can find him down there. I've written out passes for the three of you, he's got them at the moment. Have fun, but remember to come back early so you can get changed and I can take a look at these photo's before the bell rings."

Maddy grins, "Thank you so much Sarah! I promise we won't let you down!" and with that, she starts to drag me outside.

"Maddy." I whine, "Why do we have to do it outside?"

"Lighting." She says simply.

"But can't we just get a bunch of... I dunno, lights? Why does it have to be outside?"

"Unless you're a vampire I don't see why there's a problem."

"Hmmm, maybe it's the fact that most of the classroom windows look out onto the oval and if anyone looks out of them - which they probably will since they're bored out of their minds - they'll see some ditzy girl in a white prancing around and posing for photo's?"

Maddy huffs and drags me out of the school building and down the steps to the oval where sure enough, Tyler's set up a camera on a tripod and a white sheet backdrop.

After one last warning jab in the side from Maddy, I perch on the white stool sitting in front of the backdrop aware that right at this moment about half the school is watching me out of the windows. I even spot Tom and Linc hanging half-way out the window, waving like madmen... that is, before Sarah pulls them back inside by the ear...

"Right, so I want you to face that way," Tyler starts to position me bringing me back to my situation. I'm surprised to find that he's more businesslike and not as quiet.

"Um... Tyler?"

"Yeah?" he takes the butterfly clips that Maddy's holding out and pins different parts at the back of my dress.

"I don't know if I can do this... I'm not really... modelling material."

He sighs and steps back, "Hailey, you really need to stop being so negative about yourself."

Maddy bends down so that we're face to face, "You're out here, and you're in the dress. You might as well get the photos taken too." Her expression softens a little , "And, you look really good Hailey. Not the slightest bit ditzy."

I give her a small smile, "Thanks Maddy." Tyler positions my head so that I'm looking into the camera despite my body being turned in another direction. He gets up, satisfied and walks back to his camera to start getting it ready and she follows him.

Soon enough I'm blinded by the flash on the camera and I'm twisting in all different positions as Tyler orders me to stand up, kneel, balance on one foot, laugh, frown, look sexy, mysterious.

"Wow. You really do suck." Maddy says bluntly.

"Thanks." I say sarcastically.

"It's what I'm here for. It's just that, you look like you're trying too hard... That and your psychopath smile seems to be a popular choice today."

I quickly stop smiling and start pouting.

"Ye-no. That's just as bad. You look like Mitch when she's had too much to drink..."

Tyler covers Maddy's mouth, "Ok, I think that's enough negative feedback."

I put my head in my hands, "I'm sorry... I just can't do this. Can't you just take pictures of the dress? And the accessories?"

He walks over and bends down so he's at my height, "The simple answer for that is, no. Everything that Maddy's prepared, has been made to compliment what you've designed and created. The only way to get the full effect of it is when it's all together."

"But-"

He cuts me off, "I know you're embarrassed to be sitting out here like this but you've got to learn to block out distractions. Who cares what other people think? Because at the end of the day, you're the one who's taken up the courage to do something and have fun with it, you're you and no one can change that. Sure people are going to stare at you weirdly and make random comments, but who cares about them?"

"Wow. Thanks."

"Just try it. Block it out, and do what I say."

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. He's right. I need to stop worrying about what other people think. I'm not going to get anywhere if I always do.

"Ready?"

I look up, "Ready."

*

In the end Tyler said he was able to get some pretty decent photos. Maddy said they looked great. I think she was feeling a bit bad for the drunken Mitch comment...

After thinking about Tyler's advice though, I decided that he was right and I relaxed a bit more. Once he realised this, he got it into his head that I'd be able to pose in trees, bushes, the odd pond, even on the school roof. Not an easy task when you're in a floor length white dress, a pair of white wings and a whole lot of jewellery and headpieces that weighs a tonne. 

I'm not happy.

I walk back into the classroom, the dress slung over my right arm, the jewellery on their respective hooks and in their separate bags and the wings looped through my other arm.

"These are great Hailey!" Sarah says waving the camera in the air while Tyler looks on nervously.

"For a horror movie..." I grumble to myself.

I give Maddy's work back to her and start to pack my dress away. Linc walks over, "I told you it would have been more fun if I was there."

"You never said that." Despite my vow to sulk I'm having trouble keeping my 'sulky face' around him.

He pokes my cheek, "Was that a grin right there?"

"Oh, go away." I say, pushing his hand aside and walking up to Sarah and Maddy who are still inspecting the photo's.

Sarah looks up and beams at me, "I think you've got a great modelling career ahead of you!"

I raise an eyebrow, "Are you sure you're looking at pictures of me?"

"See for yourself!" I peer at the screen on the back of Tyler's camera. Sarah and Maddy laugh as my eyebrows shoot up. I actually don't look that bad... I look... graceful and mysterious with just the right amount of holiness. 

"Told you you'd be more photogenic than me." Maddy says, smirking at me.

I step back and make a face at her, "Was that before or after you labelled me as serial killer of the year?"

Linc who's sauntered over too lets out a low whistle, "Now I want to see more of that Hailey! Wow!"

I look at him uncertainly, "You like them?"

"Yeah! Of course!"

Maddy grabs the camera from him with an evil grin, "You should see her sexy face when we first started taking pictures. I think you'll like them better."

I try to grab the camera, "Oh I don't think he will."

Linc grins evilly too, "I think he might."

He reaches for it and soon all three of us are grabbing at it, ignoring the bell signalling the end of school.

"I think that's enough." Tyler scoops up his camera holding it above him so Maddy and I can't reach it. Linc plucks it out of his hands though with a triumphant laugh and jumps onto the table before I can reach for it again.

"I'm leaving." I grumble, slinging my bag over my shoulder, grabbing my mannequin and the rest of my things and stomping out.

I navigate my way through the usual crowd, my mannequin helping me out. I'm a couple of doors down from my locker when I see Jake leaning against it... talking to Lucy of all people. I walk on my toes, looking over people's shoulders, trying to figure out what's going on.

My vision's blocked when a particularly sweaty boy decides to grace me with his armpit. I bat him away violently with my new dummy friend and manage to get down to my locker where I'm confronted by the extremely disturbing picture of Lucy shoving her tongue down Jakes throat.

"Wow. Um, do you guys think you could do that somewhere else?" I say, sickened and slightly annoyed that Jake seems to be kissing her back.

They break apart with difficulty and Lucy turns to me with a smirk, licking her lips slowly and smacking them together, "Oh, Hailey. We didn't realise you were there."

I raise an eyebrow, "Um, I really don't care. Can I get to my locker please?"

Jake who looks really dazed steps away from my locker, "Uh..."

"Save it Jake. I don't care." I open my locker and start to grab some books and my homework. They don't leave though so I turn around, "Can I help you with something?"

Lucy's grabbed Jake's arm, stopping him from leaving, "Oh, it's nothing really, but I was just wondering if Trent found you at the party?"

My eyes widen a bit and I can't help but quickly glance at Jake, "Um, no..."

She notices my worried expression and continues, "Really? That's not what I was told. By the way, he said he was sorry about ripping your dress."

Jake looks confusedly between us, "Wait, what's this about?"

I slam my locker door shut, "Nothing."

Lucy smirks, "Oh, I don't call hooking up nothing."

I stand there for a second, stock-still, absolutely shocked at what she's said. Jake looks at me utterly taken aback. I panic. I run.

"Wait! Hailey!" Jake grabs for my arm but I dodge him.

I've never run away with a tailor's dummy before. It's surprisingly easy if you wield it out in front of you, crowds tend to part pretty quickly. I would say I felt like Moses at that moment if I didn't feel like crying.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

148K 5.2K 20
HIS Book Series #4: Don't have to read books in order!! :) Victoria is a 27 year old curvy girl who is more of a homebody than her best friend and ro...
11.9K 948 57
Mason 🎸 My life's in shambles. Okay, that's a little dramatic considering that my band broke up. But I don't know what to do with my future, my care...
37.7K 761 46
Savannah falls in love with her next door neighbour, her housemate and her brothers friend. Their relationship is a secret. How will she react when s...
89 0 13
"Who the fuck are you?" I state. Why the hell is some random ass man standing right outside my door. "Your new bestfriend!" He smirks. Cameron is 19...