Memories

By Ecape7

"She was right there ... in my arms ... dying." Two years have passed since Anakin Skywalker's mother died, a... More

Chapter 1.
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 4.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7.
Chapter 8.
Chapter 9.
Chapter 10.
Chapter 11.
Chapter 12.
Chapter 13.
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 29.
Chapter 30.
Chapter 31.
Chapter 32.
Chapter 33.
Chapter 34.
Chapter 35.
Author's Note: Thank You!

Chapter 28.

172 5 9
By Ecape7

Anakin's POV

__________

I kept my breathing slow, though my heart was racing. The sudden electrocution had surprised me, but I was pretty sure it was coming. The various emotions and warnings drifting or snapping through the Force had given indication of it long before it actually happened. One thing was for sure: it had given me a "shock." I made myself cringe at my own awful jokes.

But it had pulled me out of those horrible scenes that had been flashing through my mind. I couldn't seem to shake Asajj's words as they merged with the memories of the past and the fears of the future. All I could see was my mother dying in my arms and hear her gentle voice, whispering words of encouragement, though each one fell like a jagged knife, plunged into my heart. Asajj was right: I did want my mother. But I wasn't able to save her. I couldn't take care of my loved ones. It seemed that Obi-Wan was going to be suffering now because I couldn't win in a fight against Asajj.

I scrunched my eyes shut tight, and two unauthorized tears trickled down my cheeks. I missed her. I really, really missed her. I wasn't fast enough to save her; who said I wouldn't be too slow to save Obi-Wan, as well?

Mother's face flashed into my mind for the umpteenth time, and I could see the scars and bruises on it. Then, for the briefest of moments, I thought I saw Obi-Wan's face instead of hers.

I snapped my eyes open again, my heart rate doubling. Was that my fears ... or was that the future? Was that what I was afraid would happen ... or would that be reality? A cold dread tied a knot in the pit of my stomach. I didn't want to think too much about it. I just hoped like crazy that my gut feeling was wrong, and that I wasn't going to be holding Obi-Wan in my arms, just as I had done with my mother.

My muscles went floppy, protesting the recent electricity, and I leaned my weight against the energy field, saving my strength, until the door opened. A pair of Geonosians came in, clicking and chattering to each other in their local dialect. They seemed uncomfortable around me, their translucent wings fluttering when their bug-like eyes rested on me, and they approached me carefully, their staffs levelled towards me. But I didn't have the strength to fight against them, and it took all of my energy not to collapse when they removed the containment field. They removed the cuffs around my wrists and ankles, instead replacing them with a pair of binders that I could have bent open like a paperclip, though I resisted the temptation. If I gave them a false sense of security, I might be able to use it later.

My stomach jolted when I realized where the Geonosians were taking me: Petranaki arena, the execution ring. Memories jumped into my head, some of them from our time in this place, others of the pain that I had carried into it. Mother had died the night prior.

As I entered, the grandstands, packed with overexcited Geonosians, roared with shouts and cheers. Up in the viewing platform, I spotted Poggle the Lesser, the Geonosian leader, and next to him stood Dooku. This was first time I had seen him since I had heard he was involved in this. But I was a little confused when I couldn't see Asajj with him.

The Geonosians poked me over to one of the four carved columns, and I smiled slightly when I saw Obi-Wan and Ahsoka already chained to their own columns.

"Just like old times, right, Obi-Wan?" I mused with a smirk, glancing at him on my left, as the Geonosians attached my cuffs to the chain that hung down.

"You could say that," he responded lightly, but there was concern hiding behind his eyes. I felt it, too. A distinct unease stuck in the air, and the Dark Side gathered thickly around us.

"I have a bad feeling about this," I commented dryly, causing Obi-Wan to cock an eyebrow at me, so I gave him a small grin. The main thing about this nostalgic treat that disturbed me was the camera droids that buzzed around us. They looked like Coruscant's media droids. Why was this important enough to be broadcast all around the galaxy? How was this Dooku's surprise for us? And hadn't he already tried this?

On my right, Ahsoka shifted anxiously, looking across me for instruction.

"Relax," I told her. "Just concentrate. You'll do fine."

She managed a small smile. "Thanks, Master."

Then the noisy crowd quietened somewhat as Poggle ordered something in his language. I waited expectantly for the portcullises to open and for the various beasts to come charging out. But nothing happened. 

That horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach became increasingly worse, and I listened with growing apprehension as the spectators began thumping their feet in time to a beat. The noise thundered louder and louder until it was near deafening. 

Getting out of that energy field had allowed me to feel the Force to its full effects again, and it seemed to be making up for lost time, yelling danger in my ears so hard that I could barely think. And it was yelling danger for Obi-Wan.

Instead of a beast coming through the gates, into the arena came Asajj. She swaggered past me, shooting me an unbearably smug smirk, and mouthed, "You can't protect them."

I crunched my fists into a tight ball, and the binders around my wrists, though thick and unyielding, still crumpled slightly.

Asajj waggled a finger at me as she stopped in front Obi-Wan. "Be careful, Skywalker. You care about your friends, don't you? Just listen."

I glowered at her but kept my mouth shut. Count Dooku's rich voice bellowed across the arena, silencing the wild shouts and explosive thumping.

"As you will have seen," he began grandly, "today's execution is not proceeding in the normal fashion. The beasts are not required on this occasion. Instead, my apprentice Asajj Ventress will be key to this execution. Ventress," he called down to her, "explain how things are going to work."

Asajj stood up tall and spread her arms out, making sure the camera droids were getting a good view of her. "Welcome to Petranaki arena!" she announced. "We like to keep people interested and engaged, so things have been changed up! As everybody knows, Kenobi and Skywalker are the best of friends." She narrowed her eyes at me. "Today is going to test that loyalty."

She ignited the one lightsaber she had on her and swung it just above Obi-Wan's head, severing the chain that held his binders up, then gestured for him to step towards her. He hesitated a moment before obliging, but, once he had done so, she swiped her saber at his leg, nicking his calf and causing him to cry out and crumple to his knees. 

I strained against my cuffs, feeling my temper flaring and fear tightening coils around me. "Leave him alone!" I shouted.

"Stay put, Skywalker," Asajj warned, "or both your friends will suffer." She indicated to Ahsoka, who was looking very uneasy. "If you don't try anything naughty, then only Kenobi will suffer."

I crunched my fists tighter, resisting the urge to yank open the cuffs around my wrists. I didn't want either Ahsoka or Obi-Wan to be pain, but if I could in any way prevent that from happening to at least one of them, I would try. 

Asajj smirked slightly, sensing my resolve. "I see you've made up your mind. Shall we test that for you? Shall we see what kind of a friend you truly are?" Then she kicked Obi-Wan, who was still on his knees, getting him full in the guts. He gasped, collapsing further onto the ground, and some of his pain slipped into the Force, giving a taste of it to anyone and everyone who was nearby.

As she delivered a series of quick blows to his head and body, I looked away, my heart pounding. How could I just stand back and watch? It was my fault that my friends were captured in the first place.

Asajj grabbed Obi-Wan's right shoulder and shot me a glance, though there was something other than pleasure hiding behind her eyes; was it ... pain? "Doesn't this look familiar, Skywalker?" she asked, then shoved his shoulder forwards, and pain ripped through my bond with him as it popped out of joint. "You've seen a loved one hurt before, haven't you? Was it ... your mother?"

My breath caught in my lungs, and it felt like the oxygen was being sucked out of the air. "Let him go!" I growled, tugging at my restraints.

"Why?" she asked in mock-sympathy. "Are you afraid ... that you'll be too late? You don't want to be too late to save him, do you?" She slashed him across the chest with her lightsaber, then gave him two slices, one on each arm.

Pain seared through our bond, exploding in my head and aching in my own body. I felt the Force beginning to gather and boil inside me, coursing through my veins and pounding in my head.

Asajj's eyes flicked to me, and she held my gaze as she snatched Obi-Wan's right wrist and pulled his arm up his back. He cried out again as the pain tore through his dislocated shoulder, bent double over his knees, his face screwed in agony. Asajj swiped him with a few saber wounds across his back, then thumped the blunt end of her weapon up his ribs, knocking the breath out of him.

"You can't protect them," she told me, her voice low. 

My breathing was erratic, and the Force thickened and crackled like a thundercloud around me, its power building more and more. Then my heart almost stopped when Asajj pointed her fingers toward Obi-Wan and Force lightening zapped from them, hitting him. He writhed on the ground, pain evident in every part of his body as the electricity crackled over him, and I couldn't bear it anymore.

"Stop!" I half-begged, half-seethed, feeling the anger and fear bubbling to exploding point. "Don't do it anymore!"

I almost fainted with relief when she did stop, retracting her fingers shut with an expressive snap. Then she came right up to me, her lips twisted in a grim smirk, and slit open my binders with her saber. "Go to him. Feel his pain. See the suffering caused by your mistake."

I didn't need telling twice. I raced over to Obi-Wan, sliding the rest of the way to him on my knees. Snapping open his binders, I carefully lifted him into my lap, holding him gently. "Obi-Wan," I called softly, trying not to choke on my tears, "say something. Speak to me."

His eyes were glazed with pain, and his presence in the Force flickered as he drifted in near-unconsciousness. But I sensed a vague recognition from him, followed closely by a warm joy. "Anakin ...." His voice was so quiet, I could barely hear it.

"No, no, stay with me," I whispered, the tears slipping down my cheeks. Mother's face flashed into my mind, her soft words driving daggers into my heart. "Please, Obi-Wan ... please stay. I'm so sorry. This is my fault." My hands were shaking as I held him, supporting him in my arms.

"Anakin ...," he repeated, even quieter than the first. Forming words seemed too much effort for him, so weak was he from Asajj. Instead, he slowly reached up and let his fingers brush my cheek ... just like Mother had done ... just before she died.

"No, Obi-Wan!" I begged, unable to keep back my sobs. "I'm so sorry; I tried! I really, really did. I'm s-so sorry. Stay with me!" I held him tightly, terrified of what might happen if I let go.

He winced, exhaling quickly, and I felt pain searing through our bond as I squeezed him too tight. I loosened up immediately, though only slightly. "I'm so sorry, my friend." My voice was no louder than a whisper, and I didn't even know if he could hear me. His breathing was shallow, his eyes sliding shut as he sank further into my arms.

"Please stay with me," I choked out. "This is my fault. I don't want to lose you, Obi-Wan – not you, too."

"Having a nice pity party, Skywalker?" Asajj spat, stalking over to us.

I watched her darkly through my tears, glaring up at her silently, feeling the Force darting and dashing around me. Power was growing inside me, joining with the fury that swirled within.

"Dooku has something to tell you," she informed me carelessly. "Listen closely."

"All you peoples of the galaxy!" he boomed across the arena as the camera droids hummed around excitedly. "You gathered here to watch an execution take place, but as yet nothing has happened. Let me not disappoint you further, for it is now that the execution may begin! What you observed before was necessary for this next show to come into being. Behold," he stretched out his hand wide, pointing to me, "Anakin Skywalker, the Hero with No Fear, the face of the Republic, the Jedi Knight, and the Chosen One! Watch him closely for this next part, though I doubt it will be hard to miss. Ventress," he turned his attention to his apprentice, who was watching with growing apprehension, "hand over your weapon to Anakin."

Silence swept through the entire crowd, and Asajj stared back at her master. "What?!" she exploded, completely shellshocked. "Why?!"

"Anakin," Dooku continued without answering Asajj, looking at me, "accept the lightsaber of Asajj. Exact your revenge on the one who inflicted your best friend and father-figure with such intense suffering. Strike her down with all your bitterness and rage, for it is likely that your friend is about to die. Then, she will become the one who caused his death."

Death. That last word sent chills down my spine, and my whole body was shaking as I looked from the face of my dying friend to the one who caused him so much pain. Death. Mother's death. Obi-Wan's death. Death meant loss. Death meant pain. Death meant suffering. Death meant guilt. Mother's face flashed into my mind, beaten and bruised. Obi-Wan was lying in my lap, beaten and bruised. The Tuscan raiders caused Mother's death. Asajj did this to Obi-Wan.

My whole world felt like it was imploding with grief and anguish as I sensed keenly Obi-Wan's pain. The anger welled up inside me, expressing itself through the violent trembling in my body. This was her fault. She did this to Obi-Wan – just as the Tuscan raiders had done that to my mother.

I slowly turned my gaze on Asajj, my eyes burning with the same flame that was ignited after my mother's death – the same flame that pushed me to kill an entire camp of Sandpeople.

<><><><><><><><><><>

Things are not looking too good. :( Poor Anakin, I feel real bad for him! He's not having a good day at all.

I found this chapter really intense to write and quite sad, but I had a good time, nonetheless. :)

Thanks so much for reading, everybody! My updates might be coming a little slower over the next few days (sorry, I know it's bad timing with where the story's at!), but I'll see what I can do! Thanks so much for your consistency in reading! ^o^ 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.1K 314 27
As Amylin Amidala, a newly promoted Jedi Knight, helps lead the way through the clone wars, the unexpected happens.. and she finds herself debating a...
Fears By Ecapé

Fanfiction

1.8K 245 33
"They will suffer - all of them. I will not be satisfied until I have revenge." **THIS IS BOOK no. 4 in my series "The Sting of Time!" If you haven't...
10.9K 227 26
Y/n and Anakin grew up together on Tatooine. They both had felt a spark for each other growing up. Anakin and y/n had both had a skill for building...
183K 4K 67
BOOK TWO IN THE SKYWALKER TWIN SERIES . I highly recommend you read the first book first. But I can't stop you so do what you want lol. The grammar i...