Pride

By laceygwhyte

Only one lesson from high school is considered completely irrefutable: football players and basketball player... More

Introduction
Chapter 1- Jordan
Chapter 2- Chase
Chapter 3- Jordan
Chapter 4- Chase
Chapter 5- Jordan
Chapter 6- Chase
Chapter 7- Jordan
Chapter 9- Jordan
Chapter 10- Chase
Chapter 11- Jordan
Chapter 12- Chase
Chapter 13- Jordan
Chapter 14- Chase
Chapter 15- Jordan
Chapter 16- Chase
Chapter 17- Jordan
Chapter 18- Chase
Chapter 19- Jordan
Chapter 20- Chase
Chapter 21- Jordan
Chapter 22- Chase
Chapter 23- Jordan
Chapter 24- Chase
Chapter 25- Jordan
Chapter 26- Chase
Chapter 27- Jordan
Chapter 28- Chase
Chapter 29- Jordan
Chapter 30- Chase
Epilogue
*Bonus Chapter* Ashley
*Bonus Chapter* Christmas
*Bonus Chapter* Car Wash
*Bonus Chapter* First Fight

Chapter 8- Chase

26K 1.1K 1.1K
By laceygwhyte

Shockingly, Werewolf and I manage not to kill each other even without the supervision of Levi and Nate. And we actually finish on time, which is even more surprising. The teacher doesn't look too shocked as she thanks us- maybe because we're both athletes? Or, more likely, she just underestimated how much work it was to run to and from the basement carrying tables one at a time. And then set up like three hundred chairs, which was less physically exhausting, but very tedious and time-consuming.

"So, you didn't kill each other without me there. That's a plus," Levi comments as we get our stuff from our lockers for third period.

"We didn't have time. We were too busy bringing tables from the basement to the gym and then setting up about three hundred chairs in evenly spaced rows."

He grins a little. "Sounds like you had a fun lunch hour."

"Oh, it was a blast," I say with as much sarcasm as I can manage. "Such a great time. Okay, but seriously: there are tables in the storage closet right next to the gym. Why did we have to get the ones from the basement? That's so extra!"

He's still smirking. "Maybe the guest speaker was going to be talking about the effects on tables of being stored in basements."

I roll my eyes.

"Seriously, though. This is literally the coaches line of reasoning with this whole thing. If you guys are working hard enough, you'll forget to hate each other's guts."

"I still hate his guts, and I have no doubt he still hates mine."

"But you didn't get in a fight. You actually worked together for once. Even if you don't like each other, you still tolerated each others' presence enough to get the job done."

"I still can't believe it," I grumble as we start towards our class.

"Hey, neither would I, based on the way you two act most of the time. But it kind of makes sense, because you both play team sports, so you're able to get into the mindset of just getting something done."

That makes it make more sense, actually. "So we can tolerate each other as long as we're not talking, and we're working on something physical while under a tight schedule."

"Well, when you put it like that, it sounds a lot less positive."

"Nothing involving me and Werewolf is positive," I assure him. He rolls his eyes.

Third and fourth period pass relatively quickly (miraculously). And then we're back at our lockers again, unloading out backpacks before basketball practice.

"You recovered from your lunch hour marathon?" Levi jokes, smirking. I roll my eyes.

"It wasn't that strenuous, more-"

"Hey, babe. Talking about your new job?"

I absently loop an arm around Ashley and nod.

"He managed not to fight with Jordan for all of lunch hour," Levi tells her, and she gives me a teasing grin.

"Aww, I'm so proud of you babe!" She puts her arms around my neck and pulls me down/ pulls herself up to kiss my cheek. I smile, but I'm distracted. If I am gay, or bi, or pan, or whatever... What does that mean for me and Ashley? Should I tell her, at least about the guy that I made out with for seven minutes in heaven? It feels like I'm keeping something if I don't tell her... but it also feels like I might be blowing it out of proportion if I do. What if it's nothing? What if I make a big deal out of this for no reason at all? What if she thinks I've been using her to deny my sexuality, or that I was lying to her about it, or- any number of things, really.

And... telling her would make it more real. Way more real. Telling Levi- he gets this stuff. If I were to tell him that I think I'm completely, 100% straight, he would accept that. He might not fully believe me, but he wouldn't challenge that or tell me I'm wrong. He'd just accept it, no questions asked, and we'd move on. It concerns Ashley a bit more directly, since we're actually dating, and there are a hundred questions that it would be honestly, pretty valid to ask (I'm asking myself these very same questions. Am I dating Ashley to- subconsciously- try to deny my sexuality?). Plus, then it'd be harder, much harder, to take back. To deal with, in general. I just want to figure it out for myself, then I can worry about telling other people.

Levi snaps in front of my face. "Earth to Chase. We have basketball practice, like, now."

"Right. Yeah." I close my locker, and almost start heading to the locker room.

"See you later?" Ashley asks me, reminding me that I've still got my arm around her.

I hesitate. "I've got a lot of homework. Tomorrow, maybe. Unless Werewolf and I get assigned some big thing that we have to work on after school."

"Alright. Bye, babe." She kisses my cheek.

"See ya."

She leaves, and Levi and I start towards the locker rooms. He gives me a sidelong glance. "What were you thinking about?"

I hesitate, then ask, "Do you think that not telling her about... the guy, at the party, while we were playing seven minutes in heaven, and everything- does that count as lying and/or cheating?"

"I mean, she's explicitly stated that she's fine with you kissing people for games like that at parties, so not cheating. Not telling her... I don't know. It depends on how you feel about this whole thing. Like, how big you think it is. If you actually think you were just drunk enough that you felt like that, then I'd say don't sweat it. If you think you're completely gay and have never had any real interest in girls at all, then maybe telling her would be for the best."

I nod, though I'm not really sure what I'm nodding about. I still have no idea what the heck I'm going to do.

Basketball helps. It's good for clearing my mind, giving me something specific to focus on instead of my sexual identity crisis.

But practice is over all too soon, and then it's just Levi and I again, sitting in my room while I attempt to do chemistry homework and he pretends to be doing something on his phone.

Eventually, I give up and turn to him. "How did you know?"

"How did I know what?" His phone is already forgotten. He's been waiting for me to bring it up again.

"Your sexuality."

He purses his lips, considering it for a moment. "I guess I just... knew. I found myself checking guys out more often than girls, and the first time a girl tried to kiss me, I just got this feeling of dread, and this overwhelming urge to just get away. And then I had this huge crush on- yeah, anyways, you get the picture." He's blushing a little, and I smirk.

"On Chris Evans?"

"He's Captain America, okay?" He's blushing more now, which of course makes me smirk more.

"Mhmm."

He shoots me a glare. "I'm helping you. Stop smirking."

"Alright, fine. So I should just look through pictures of hot male actors and see if I get turned on?"

"I mean, if you're looking for an excuse to look through pictures of hot male actors, then you might already have your answer," he points out. Which is a pretty good point, actually.

"Okay, but if I'm not, then does that mean I'm straight?"

"Not necessarily. You might only be attracted to people you know in real life. Demisexual, if you want a name for it."

I groan a little, letting my head fall back. "Okay, but..." I sigh and look back at him helplessly. "How can I just know for sure? Like, if I like guys or not. Or if I like girls at all. How can I know?"

"That's the hard part of all this," he says softly. "There's no test that you can take, that will just tell you your exact orientation. There are so many things between totally gay and totally straight... you might never know for sure. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm attracted to guys or masculinity, or if I'm homoflexible and just haven't met a girl I could be attracted to yet."

"So even if I kissed a bunch of guys, and a bunch of girls..."

"You might not learn anything from it."

I run a hand through my hair. "Does it feel this hopeless and infinitely impossible for everyone?"

He gives me a small smile. "You're definitely not the only one. But- really, Chase, you don't have to figure this out. You have no obligation to anyone, unless you genuinely just want to know, for yourself."

He's right. I know he's right. I'm in a stable relationship, and it doesn't matter to anyone except me and maybe Ashley if I decide I'm not interested in girls at all. But...

Thoughts on Chase and Ashley's relationship? What do you think he's going to do? Should he tell her about this? Should he wait until he has a more exact idea of what his sexuality is? Do you think he should just ignore it and pretend like nothing happened? Let me know in the comments!

Also, if you liked this chapter, please consider letting me know by either voting or commenting! Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.2K 371 13
"I fucking hate you" I cry between moans. "And I hate you fucking me even more." "Oh yeah?" Aiden tightens his grip on me. "Do you hate this?" he gr...
8.9K 247 32
Sam's senior year at Ravendale, a mixed school for humans and furs was going to be different, he was sure of it, why else would he move schools right...
13.9K 596 33
"Goodbye, Sam Thomas Foster," "Goodbye, Michael October Valley," ------ When Michael came out, life as he knew it ended. Everything fell apart and h...
369K 11.2K 15
"Come to ask me out have you?" Bethany says, swinging her legs around to face him. "Well I'll kindly accept." She chuckles, throwing her hair behind...