Tortured Uchiha [CURRENTLY ED...

By Its_Beaumont

The first branch of the Uchiha never approved of those from the second branch. As Etsuko Uchiha discovers, th... More

Prologue
十一
十二
十三
十四 [1]
十五 [2]
十六
十七
十八
十九
二十
二一
• • •
二十一
二十三
二四
二五
二 七 [PART 1]
二八 [PART 2]
二九
Confliction
Sixth Sin of Man
Familiarity
Clipped Wings
Kaw of Insanity
All are Tokin
Certain Someone
Choice
Leaf, Smoke, Snake
The Proud Weasel and Stubborn Thorn
Tortured Truth [PART 1]
Tortured Truth [PART 2]
Golden Trio
Epilogue
UPDATE

二 六

5.1K 215 34
By Its_Beaumont

T H E   G H O S T ,    E T S U K O 

       "You're late!" Naruto shouted and jutted his elbow out at Kakashi. "Today's the first time we get a mission as a new team. Kakashi–Sensei, you've been like this for ages, be enthusiastic for once!"

      "Oh just let it go," Sakura jerked Naruto in the arm and looked away hastily. "There's nothing Kakashi–Sensei can do about the fact that he has a face devoid of any enthusiasm!"

      Kuragari gave a kaw as it circled over the dismantled Team Seven. Through my crow's vision, I could see that something was unnerving Kakashi―and that Naruto and Sakura could sense it too. I knew word hadn't travelled of Gaara's capture yet and that Kuragari would be the first to alert the village. 

      Kakashi extended his arm for Kuragari to swoop down. The crow dropped the scroll into his open palm. Kakashi unfurled the scroll with one hand and skim read it before his visible eye retracted in its socket.

       "Hey isn't that Etsuko's crow from earlier?" Naruto poked at his beak, shrieking in pain when Kuragari bit down on the end of Naruto's finger. 

      "Etsuko?" Sakura frowned.

      She hadn't known me personally, and I didn't think Sasuke or Naruto mentioned my influence to her when they were younger. She scratched her pink hair in confusion as Naruto averted his gaze whereas Kakashi turned around and started to walk back down the alleyway.

       "Kakashi–Sensei?" Naruto mumbled with his finger stuck in his mouth.

       "Meet me at the Hokage Tower," Kakashi said nothing else as he walked away. "There's been a change of plans." 

       I wondered if Kakashi knew who Pein's intel were. He'd been briefed on the Akatsuki through the messages between Tsunade and me, but nothing really ever came up about the two Akatsuki from Amegakure. Pein couldn't sink his talons into Izumo or Kotetsu, or get information from Tsunade herself―then what masked Deidara's drone?

          "Are you sure that showing yourself to Naruto after all these years is wise?" Kakashi asked Kuragari as he strolled towards the Hokage Tower. "I mean, it's your decision after all―but I'm not sure how Naruto will take it, he thinks you've abandoned him."

       Kuragari squawked in response.

        "I understand," Kakashi scratched his chin. "There will certainly be a strong risk since Gaara's been captured, Naruto shared a close bond with him after you left. And then there's the problem of Itachi being in the Akatsuki, if we're to encounter him...Naruto will blame him for you defecting from the village."

       "Naruto doesn't trust Lady Tsunade either, she doesn't show leniency towards Naruto's behaviour," Kakashi scaled the steps of the Hokage Tower. "As for the ANBU, they've grown and become prominent once again―Danzo, however, has remained low-key and rarely shows his face. When he heard of your supposed death, he spoke a private eulogy about you to the Jonnin of the Leaf."

      Two ANBU guards stayed at their posts in front of the Hokage Office. I recognised one of the masked ANBU; the clear distinct pattern belonged to none other than Tenzo. If I'd killed him in the ANBU massacre, I knew I would've regretted it―I was just grateful that he'd survived and stayed away from my wrath.

      "I have urgent news for Lady Hokage," Kakashi nodded at the ANBU when the allowed him to pass.

      Inside the office was the same as the previous time I was in there, except Tsunade looked royally pissed off over something. She tipped a cup full of sake into her mouth and swallowed hard, templing her fingers as Naruto and Sakura turned to frown at Kakashi―something was definitely wrong.

      Kakashi silently lowered his arm to the desk so Kuragari could hop down. Kuragari dug his claws into the wood of Tsunade's desk as she leaned closer and placed two fingers on his forehead. Immediately, Kuragari's beak opened and the bird regurgitated another scroll regaling the detailed information over Gaara's abduction.

     The Hokage was silent as she tipped her clay cup to her lips, draining the rest of the contents. She slammed her fist against the scroll, causing Kuragari to flutter onto a stack of neglected papers to Tsunade's left.

     "The Akatsuki have captured the Kazekage, Gaara. The two operatives were intercepted by a Leaf ally but the Akatsuki succeeded and are now transporting the Kazekage's body to their hideout between Sunagakure and Amegakure. It's protected by a sealing tag and is placed in the valley and rivers of Tanigakure. Our Leaf ally will rendezvous with a requested team at Takumi village," Tsunade's jaw throbbed. "Team Kakashi your mission is to meet up with our ally and stop the Ichibi extraction. You are to go to the Sand where the operative will be waiting and then relay all information to Konohagakure."  

      Naruto narrowed his eyes at the crow that continued to kaw and hop on Tsunade's desk. Rage overwhelmed him. The Akatsuki took away one of his most trusted friends and allies, no doubt Itachi was behind it―everything that seemed to go wrong with the village, started with Itachi.

       "The Leaf ally is Etsuko," Naruto guessed rather bluntly. His blue eyes flared slightly for a moment as he smacked his palm against the desk, causing a hollow slap to reverberate around the office. "You can't hide it from me any longer Granny Tsunade, Etsuko's been here I can feel her chakra!"

     Tsunade reclined in her chair and propped her feet up, picking at her manicured nails. Her composure remained resolute while Naruto steamed at the ears, just to be restrained by Kakashi and Sakura. The Hokage's amber eyes flicked up to Naruto's, her voice emotionless.

      "Etsuko Uchiha is nothing but a ghost," she said. "If you want to find her, the cemetery is your best bet. Plot two-four-three."

* * *

       Disguised in the canopy of the trees as they neared Sunagakure, Naruto's distress grew worse. With every passing moment, he knew that Gaara and I would slip from his clutches. He was smart enough to know that if I sensed danger, I wouldn't hang around―especially since Deidara and his partner knew something I didn't.

      "Slow down Naruto, Jiraya–Sama warned you that rushing into a situation like this is dangerous," Kakashi grabbed Naruto's collar to slow his pace.

      "I can't stand it!" Naruto pulled from Kakashi's hold. "The Akatsuki are only after the beasts inside of me and Gaara, they only see us as monsters. I can't stand them looking at us whatever way they like―the only person that understood this that wasn't a Jinchuriki was Etsuko Uchiha! When people shunned me and called me a monster, she'd be there for me and I let her down..."

       "Gaara was lonelier than I was so when he needed a friend, I reached out for him. Etsuko did the same thing for me when I had no one. She trained me for a while and prepared me to face Sasuke, but then just like that." Naruto snapped his fingers. "That bastard took her from me, he stole Gaara too...I can't stand it!"  

       "Who?" Sakura frowned.

        "His name is Itachi-fucking-Uchiha," Naruto bared his sharp canine teeth and continued on ahead.

* * *

        In Sunagakure, Team Kakashi filed through with the company of Temari, one of Gaara's siblings.   

       "There were three assailants. Two attacked the Kazekage and captured him, whereas the other tried to help free the Kazekage, claiming that they were an ally of Konohagakure," said the Puppet Brigade guard. His purple face paint shimmered in the sunlight as he sighed. "I only believed there were three because the supposed ally referred to the Akatsuki members by name as if they had connections."

       "This third party assailant, what markings did they have?" Kakashi asked.

        "It was early morning and the sun was still rising so it was hard to see. I could clearly make out a black cloak with a large hood, a large weapon and they were masked," the guard scratched his head in thought. "It was really strange; she came out of nowhere and disappeared without much trace. Our recon team ventured to the border of Sunagakure and saw a smouldering patch of stone encased with black heatless flames with the unknown assailant's chakra signature. We've been analysing the specimen."

      "I haven't seen anything like it before. The fire didn't burn when I touched it and the flames didn't even spread despite the strong winds," the guard looked around suspiciously before leaning in towards Naruto and Kakashi. "If you ask me...I think it was some demon jutsu, the assailant might've looked to protect the Kazekage, but they could've wanted him for a sinister purpose if they weren't with the Akatsuki."

        "Gwahahaha, we know that that's all a load of bullocks," grumbled a voice. An old woman hobbled into view with a weathered face and wrinkled features. Naruto instantly grimaced. "It was a girl. I was fishing in the pond when I―" the old woman cut herself off to glare at Kakashi. "The White Fang of the Leaf."

       "No, I'm―"

         Naruto swiftly blocked the punch that the old woman tried to deal his Sensei. I had no idea that an old woman such as that could've seen me when I conveniently stuck to the shadows throughout my infiltration. Naruto kicked the old woman back to the end of the hallway and pointed at her, his teeth clenched.

        "What gives you the right to attack my Sensei you old hag?" he growled.

          "The White Fang killed my son long ago," the woman began to run at Naruto again when another elderly man stepped in front of the woman and gave her a hard glare.

        "Sister, this is not wise," he turned to the confused Kakashi. "I apologise, my sister, Lady Chiyo. What she observed is the truth, the girl had some ties to the Akatsuki if she called them by name―she also bided her time and only intervened when necessary. This lay on the ground when she was knocked down by the Kazekage."

      In the old man's palm was a black Konohagakure hitai-ate with the Leaf insignia deeply crossed out by some sort of blade. Naruto snatched it from him and held it up to the light. He'd never remembered me wearing my hitai-ate before, maybe that was enough to make him believe that I was no longer with them.

     "This was Etsuko's, wasn't it?" Naruto turned on Kakashi and held the hitai-ate up. "Wasn't it?" he repeated in a dark voice.

      "Naruto now is not the time," Kakashi said rather curtly. "We need to focus on Gaara."

      "Fine, I'll go alone," Naruto stuffed the hitai-ate into his pocket and stormed off.

       "Wait, Naruto, go where?" Kakashi tugged on his sleeve.

         "To meet at Takumi village, that's what Granny Tsunade ordered after all," Naruto growled. "If you were her friend, you'd search for her too. She knows where they're keeping Gaara...and that bastard."

        "If I may," Chiyo spoke up with a slight laugh. "I may be of assistance, you see, my grandson is Sasori...he was the one that helped abduct the Kazekage."

[Time Skip] 

       I sat patiently on the roof of the inn. A collection of foosteps echoed and I turned to see Team Kakashi come into view.  

     "It took you long enough," I called from my reclined position, not making any attempts to greet them.

     "Etsuko?!" Naruto ran towards the gutter and tried to jump up to grasp the metal, but fumbled and landed on his arse. The blonde haired knucklehead could barely contain his emotions as I slid from the roof and completely ignored his existence. "Etsuko!"

     I walked over to Kakashi and extended my elbow towards Kuragari. The crow happily fluttered onto my arm and kawed. 

      "It's been a while since we've seen each other," Kakashi nodded. "As you know, this is Sakura Haruno and Lady Chiyo. I take it that you also know the location of the Akatsuki hideout where they're keeping Gaara."

        "There are matters we that have to be tended to first," I lead them through the forest surrounding Takumi village. I chose a spot closest to the Akatsuki hideout, where a stream cut separated the banks. I leaned against the tree and sighed. "There's a leak in Konohagakure, when I encountered Deidara and now, Sasori this morning to stop them from taking Gaara―they knew of my identity."

      Everyone seemed confused apart from Kakashi. Chiyo sat herself down in the shade of one of the oaks and listened intently. Naruto on the other hand, tried to cut in with questions until Kakashi silenced him with a raise of a hand.

       "To my knowledge there aren't any leaks within the system but Izumo and Kotetsu informed me that Orochimaru put your details into the Bingo Book," Kakashi cleared his through and gestured towards Naruto. "Isn't there some explaining you have to do?"

      "Yeah, I deserve that much after you left me!" Naruto shouted and then recoiled, his blue eyes prickling with tears. "I spent three years wondering what happened to you, Grandpa Hokage didn't tell me anything―I need answers Etsuko, why did Itachi kill you."

     The mention of Itachi and the massacre made my insides clench. The pain would never end. I muttered a curse under my breath and flicked back my hood, removing my mask so he could see my face.

       "I asked Hiruzen not to tell you anything because I knew you'd act like this. The only reason why I entrusted Kakashi is because I thought you'd have grown up already. I was wrong, you're still a child, Naruto," my lips flattened. "You have no idea how much shit I'm in with the Akatsuki, one wrong move and you're dead."

       "Just a kid, huh...is that what you really think of me?" Naruto scuffed his sandal against the grass, his voice soft.

        "Naruto, I left the village to keep you safe," I began. "Itachi had nothing to do with it. There's too much foul play in this to keep my explanation simple. But you must know that I left on my own accord with Hiruzen's permission. I did what I had to do for my village, I regret not giving you information but I couldn't." 

       "It's always 'for the village'," Naruto mocked, and then he saw my eye. "Your. . .your eye colour changed."

        I scoffed, "I'm blind Naruto. That was my consequence."  

        "It was Itachi, wasn't it? You gave up your sight for him," Naruto hissed viciously. "All this shit is because of him. He caused Sasuke to flee the village, he murdered his whole clan and is part of the organisation that took Gaara away!"

        "That's enough, Naruto," I exhaled in exasperation. This was a mistake to tell him the truth; he'd simply take it the wrong way and act out on his wild emotions. He was nowhere mature enough or mentally capable of understanding my mission and the price I paid for his life. "Your objective is to retrieve Gaara whereas mine is to observe Itachi and the Akatsuki. This will be the only time I will contact you in person, the rest will be through Kuragari. This is all for your benefit."

      "But it isn't fair, it's never fair!" Naruto began to cry, his sun-kissed cheeks puffed out as he wrenched out a groan. One hand gripped the seal on his stomach while the other dug into his curls.

      I shook my head at Kakashi when he tried to step in. I approached Naruto quietly and placed a hand on his trembling shoulder. The six faint whiskers on his face darkened and became jagged black smudges on his face. His pupils retracted like a canine. His crimson irises pulsed when I tilted my head.

      "Naruto look at me," I tipped his chin up with my index finger and activated my lone Mangekyou Sharingan. I watched his pupils dilate and the red fade from his eyes. His whiskers faded once more and he panted. I knew this would happen. 

       "I never meant to hurt you," I whispered, poking two fingers against his forehead.

       "I'm sorry...Etsu–Chan," Naruto swallowed. "I–I understand what you had to do. . ."     

        "Speaking of, we better get going. Bijuu extractions need a full three days and nights to complete, so far they've only gotten a one and a half day head start," I put my mask back on and flicked my hood. "Follow me; I'll take you to the hideout." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 4.4K 40
[COMPLETED] *book one in the Uzumaki series* Tomomi Uzumaki only has one close friend. And he's an Uchiha. She tried to keep him a secret from her...
14.6K 316 54
Itsuki Uchiha. The Seventeen Tails Jinchūriki. One of the last remaining Uchiha's in the world. He has grown a lot from that small child that suffere...
6K 183 12
A soldier died in the battlefield and now reincarnated as Kureto Uchiha the second son of Fugaku and Mikoto Uchiha and the younger brother of Itachi...
821K 29K 56
"You're the only annoying person whose company I can really tolerate," confessed Sasuke. I rolled my eyes but this time with a genuine smile. My rig...