TRUST MY HEART ━━━ 𝐛.𝐛𝐚𝐫...

By lightupmydays

His eyes finally landed on her, as bits and pieces came back to him. He vaguely recalled seeing the brunette... More

X
status update
A C T | o n e
1. That's life.
2. Neighbor.
3. I hope I go down dancing.
4. Captain's orders.
5. Locked, cocked and ready to rock.
6. The 41st floor.
7. Don't be that guy.
Ellipsis.
8. Avenging stuff.
9. I told you so.
10. A clean slate.
11. A big building.
E N D O F A C T | o n e
A C T | t w o
1. Don't be sorry. Be better.
2. Closure.
3. Whiskey plans.
4. Some very awful news.
Ellipsis
5. Goes with the territory.
6. Maybes.
7. Ready to comply.
8. Outage.
9. Colleagues.
10. Saying goodbye.
11. Homecoming.
Ellipsis.
Ellipsis.
12. Where to?
13. A breakthrough, Pt. I
13. A breakthrough, Pt. II
14. Who are you?
15. Outsider.
16. Vague.
17. Choices.
18. Are you in, or what?
19. The smarter you are.
20. Friends.
21. Sleepover.
Ellipsis.
22. Just Barnes.
23. If you have a minute.
24. The art of losing.
25. Nomad life.
26. Death wish.
27. Mags.
28. See ya, Buck!
29. The tiger lies low.
30. Atlas.
31. Join the damn club.
32. New life, new expectations.
33. Happy birthday.
Ellipsis.
34. Cupid schemes.
35. Blurred lines.
36. Jamais Vu, Pt. I
37. Jamais Vu, Pt. II
38. Something new.
39. A nice ring to it.
40. Time's up.
Ellipsis.
42. You're free.
43. The Old One-Two
44. The Barking Dog.
45. Weird activities.

41. Some enchanted evening.

143 5 3
By lightupmydays

 𝔸/ℕ: *small, awkward wave* Hi, there.

Aaaaaaand she's back... and she feels super guilty!! No excuses, though. This took way too long and I'm sorry. I kept writing and rewriting this one, and by the time I was done it was over 10.000 words long. However, there was no proper way of dividing it. I initially intended to make it a two-parter, but I feel like it makes more sense this way, as a full chapter. It's an emotional rollercoaster, so prepare yourselves :)))))))

I don't usually add trigger warnings, but this is an exception. This chapter deals with scars, abuse and self-harm related topics.

Last but definitely not least: thank you for reading. I haven't posted in so long, yet the numbers keep going up. Means so much. Thank you!!!!!!

»»————- ✼ ————-««

Over the following days, Magna and Bucky found themselves on disclosure territory. The closer they got, the more vulnerable they became with each other. Day by day, it evolved. They continually peeled off inner hidden layers to reveal more and more of themselves to the other. It was new, terrifying, exciting. And they couldn't stop.

Taking advantage of Magna's short breather from missions, they began to see each other more frequently. Practically daily. One way or another, the pair made time to meet, even for a few minutes. Training sessions with Zura, hikes, jogging, reading in Bucky's hut, or in the Palace library.

And so, time went by. Between imbibing wine, soft candle lights, and munching finger food, they often crossed paths in the medical wing and Shuri's lab, sharing moments of intimacy, from secret kisses to private jokes. Leaning on their calculated spy ways, Magna and Bucky truly deluded themselves into thinking that they were putting on a brilliant performance on civility and the balance between platonic feelings and the actual breach of that distance. Yet, their flushed faces told a different, more conspicuous story. Without a single ounce of difficulty, Shuri read their features like a book each time. They had no idea. 

In a way, it felt like being immersed in a constant state of teenage daze, saying goodbye in the wee hours of the morning, flushed and puffy-lipped. They never took it too far, and it was fine. The whole thing felt... tentative, yet meaningful within its own fragility. Pushing things to the next level would only bring trouble.

... Then there was Steve.

The two hadn't talked in a while. Magna had been reaching out to him without success. When the missed calls and subsequent voice messages were no longer enough, the brunette used emails to ask him to contact her, saying she had news that he should hear. In addition to her own, Magna also had concerns for his, Sam, and Natasha's safety.

Steve, are you even getting these? Please, call me as soon as you can. It'd be nice to hear a familiar voice..

»»————- ✼ ————-««

»»————- ✼ ————-««

LOCATION: CITADEL, GOLDEN CITY - WAKANDA

MAGNA'S APARTMENT

At 3 a.m. on the 30th, Magna's phone rang. It was so loud in the silent apartment that she sat bolt upright in bed, wide awake. The awful noise came again. She grabbed the phone off the nightstand, immediately glancing at the name. It was a video call request from... Steve.

Anxiously, the young woman turned on her bedside lamp and slid the answer button over. She heard a click, then saw Steve's face for the first time in months. As usual, the image was slightly blurry, given his current location and some connectivity problems.

— Mags,- said the familiar voice as soon as she answered, garbled and hard to understand, yet it still brought an involuntary burst of joy in her chest.

 — Steve.- came her voice from the other end, sighing in relief. — God, it's so good to see your face!- tears pricked her eyes, and she allowed herself a vulnerable moment. Steve's lips lifted into a crooked half smile full of regret.

— Yours, too.- the rogue soldier said softly, taking in Magna's appearance. The latter's hair was tumbled, her eyes were still a bit sleepy and there was a faint flush on her cheeks from sleep.

— Thank you for calling me back.- Magna said to him, running her fingers through some messy locks.

— Sorry it wasn't sooner.- Steve commented, responding to the sense of importance in his friend's tone. — And for calling so late at night...

— Steve. It's okay, really.- her tone was soft but firm and very sincere. — Stop apologizing. - was all she said next, eyes still regarding him with pure affection. 

— What's going on? From your messages, it sounded urgent.- he asked her with a little bit more of concern across his face, his voice growing more serious as he spoke. — How's it going back there? Everyone okay?

Bucky's fine.- she said automatically, shifting her body for a more comfortable position. A frown slowly creased his forehead as he scanned her sudden sheepish expression. Before Steve could comment on that, she carried on. — Yes, everything's okay. At least, I think so.-  the brunette filled the silence, all flustered and breathless. — It's just... something I need to talk to you about.

The man had more than a mere hunch, of course. His bright blue eyes narrowed slightly, but all he said was:

— You mentioned you had some news...?- heprobed softly, upon noticing the young woman was struggling to make eye contact with him. Steve bit the inside of his cheek.

— I, uh, yeah. -Magna nodded slowly, keeping her head lowered as she spoke. — I do. 

With a rake of his hand, he pushed his dirty blonde hair away from his face, only to have it fall back again, like it didn't have to obey any rules. It was getting longer now, and he still seemed to be getting used to its awkward length.

— Let's hear it.- he said, looking at her with a simple smile. — Fill me in on what I've missed.

 When he nodded encouragingly, she decided to tell him everything. Sort of.

»»————- ✼ ————-««

Magna brought Steve to speed and the latter's attention never wavered from her. The elephant grew in size with each sentence uttered. And then, it was his turn for updates. He told her that he'd heard from Bucky recently, and that the latter seemed to be feeling much better, or so he'd been told by the man himself. That he was progressively becoming more outgoing, and that he sounded genuinely comfortable with his new lifestyle; which was -of course- largely due to the hospitality of the people from Wakanda and, well, to Magna herself.

— So I have you to thank for that.- she registered a particular fondness to his voice which she'd grown familiar with over the course of the past two years.

— Your version of reality is heavily distorted, my friend...- the blonde soldier frowned slightly at the subtle change in her tone. — I haven't done anything.

— We both know that's not true.- Steve's eyebrows arched coyly as his lips quirked in a lopsided grin. — ... And to think you hated the guy.- Magna shrugged nonchalantly, chuckling to herself.

— Hate is a strong word... but, yeah.- Steve saw the young woman blink, saw her expression grow distant as Magna got lost in thought. The latter was accutely aware that she was doing her best to ignore the oppressive feeling in her chest, to shush her inner voice warning of imminent tragedy.— ... I still can't believe we've actually become friends.

The corner of Steve's mouth tilted up like he was amused, however Magna kept her eyes down. Who was she kidding? She'd had a hard time keeping her distance from the moment she'd met Bucky. And everything had changed since then.

— You don't kiss all your friends.

She gave a tiny gasp and almost dropped the phone in her hand, feeling as if all the blood had suddenly been drained from her body. Her eyes widened, lips parted in shock. How did he know? Steve's expression softened for an instant, with a barely-noticeable tilt of his head, as if hearing her unspoken thought.

There was no harshness to his words. In fact, had Magna not been so crippled and overwhelmed by panic, the young woman might have noticed that, beneath his unreadable expression, Steve was actually just teasing her. A lock of hair fell over his forehead again, giving him an air of perpetual casualness; a funny image to contrast with his characteristic Cap demeanor.

— You know.- she said in a small voice, stating the obvious, guilt needling her. He gave her a knowing smirk and nodded once.

— He told me.- Steve simply said, speaking with a lazy, amused inflection. Magna quickly averted her gaze and criticized herself for being so foolish, face flushing as if she'd just been caught with her hand in the cookie jar.

— How long...?- she trailed off, frowning in confusion. With a sigh, Steve's arms crossed over his chest, and in that moment, his beautiful blue eyes were huge pools reflecting all the exhaustion he'd tried to hide from her until then.

It was crazy to think that despite being so close, Magna would never fully belong to his world. The young woman had always thought of Steve's eyes as being open, unguarded, not potentially secretive as gray eyes could be, or her own dark brown. Once again, she'd been wrong, for Steve's eyes were so complex a blue she'd never be able to fathom them. There was just so much she'd never be able to understand.

— For a while now. First, he started bringing up your name often,- her best friend went on to elaborate. — Magna this, Magna that. Magna's so annoying, Magna told me to fuck off, -- real nice, by the way.- she almost smiled at the pointed look Steve gave her. — ... And then one day, he called you Mags. That's when I got a feeling.

Steve knew both of them all too well. He had a way of identifying not just the different tones of her voice and their meaning, but all the moments of quietude as well. What Magna - or Bucky, for that matter- didn't say often spoke volumes to him. Not for nothing those two were his friends.

 — And he told you we kissed.- her heartbeat pounded loudly in her ears as she nervously darted her gaze from one corner of the dimly lit room to the next.

— Actually, he wrote me a letter - he said, and then shook his head, correcting himself. —Sorry, an email. Right away. I think you were on a mission...- Magna's trembling voice interrupted him.

— I'm sorry for not telling you.- he could hear remorse fill her voice. — I should have...- Steve shook his head and sighed. This time, he interjected.

— Mags.- he replied calmly. His internet connection was slow, and his picture poor quality, movements herky-jerky. Steve shrugged and stared at his screen with a faint smirk. — There's no need to apologize.

She offered him a small smile so different from the bright grin she normally wore, before shaking her head. The two grew quiet for a moment, both lost in their own thoughts. A short time later, her voice broke the silence.

— Did you see it coming?- she looked at him. Her eyes had gone serious again.— Because I didn't. 

— I didn't, but it didn't exactly take me by surprise.- he said with utter honesty. There was genuine astonishment in her expression but then her features relaxed, though her brain was still working overtime.

Her gaze focused back on him, narrowing with confusion and disbelief.

— I'm... still processing that he knows how to work emails.- she distractedly mumbled, more to herself than to Steve. Then, a breath of a laugh escapes her nose.

— He's always loved technology. Fascinated him back then.- Steve's tone was a bit strange. It sounded like he was reminiscing, but it also sounded like some other emotion. — But I'm aware of how overwhelming it can be, sometimes.- he added with a slight catch in his voice and a wistful look momentarily crossing his countenance, but when Magna glancde up he was smiling at her.

— I bet.- she muttered, tucking an errant lock of hair behind her ear.

Silence, a welcomed silence, settled again. Steve spoke again, solemnly.

— I'm happy for you. Both of you.- a brief flicker of surprise crossed her face but she said nothing. Suddenly, the deep rumble of his voice came from behind Steve, although she could not make out the words. The blonde soldier fleetingly looked over his shoulder, then faced the screen again, sighing dramatically. — Someone over here might not share the sentiment, though...

I STILL HATE THE GUY!- she finally heard Sam with absolute clarity. The familiar sound of his voice warmed Magna instantly.— DÁVALOS, YOU TRAITOR! CANOODLING WITH THE ENEMY!- the young woman rolled her eyes at that, of course.

She let out the breathy laugh, but the moment was short-lived. Reality kicked in. The conversation returned to a fragile subject and Magna shook her head dolefully.

— It's not a mission anymore Steve, I don't think it ever was.- he watched her grab a throw pillow and clutch it to her chest like a little girl.

— This is new for you too, Mags.- then he held his breath, wondering if she would angrily remind him that she was there because of him, that her painful current predicament and anxiety were his fault. — There's nothing wrong with that...

— I, I don't know how to do this...- her voice cracked on her last words, so Magna averted her gaze elsewhere.

— I'm sorry, Mags. -her shoulders slumped on a weary sigh. She looked so desolate his heart ached and Steve silently cursed himself for not being there. He cursed distance, and life, for being so complicated and unfair to the people he loved.

— I'm the one complicating everything.- she said in an odd monotone, barely above a whisper.

— It's your choice, telling him.- he told her, his voice apologetic.

— I just hate the idea of hurting him, breaking his trust. He's made so much progress...- she laughed bitterly. — God! I'm so fucking selfish. 

— Look at me,- he demanded, in a firm and decisive tone. His Captain America tone. — Nobody's gonna judge your decision. Either way. Okay?- though an answer was not needed, nor delivered. The blonde soldier found it in her eyes, per usual.

 — I like the new hair.- she sadly said at last, decidedly changing topics, no subtlety needed. — The nomad look suits you.

Of course, someone like Steve Rogers could never be described as unkempt. Still, Magna wasn't used to that look. The growing hair, the reddish beard. It was different. A deliberate change. He looked... free, which was pretty ironic.

He didn't acknowledge her compliment, which was a very Steve-thing.

— ... Wanna hear about the last nomad adventure you missed?- he blurted out, desperate for something, anything that would take that look from her eyes. 

Magna looked up at him, and he glanced back at her, his expression affectionate in a way that couldn't be faked. Not that Steve would ever do such thing anyway. Her mouth curved in a smile of deep appreciation.

 He knew her all too well, indeed.

»»————- ✼ ————-««

LOCATION: WAKANDAN DESIGN GROUP, MOUNT BASHENGA - GREAT MOUND, WAKANDA.

LATER THAT DAY

As expected, the room was in full swing. She hardly ever found the lab empty nor quiet. Shuri's team had progressively become used to the brunette's constant presence there. Instead of a polite-yet-wary demeanor towards Magna, the latter was met by casual smiles.

The former S.H.I.E.L.D agent made her way around in silence. She looked at the gurneys, the cryogenic containers around the room, and a young man in lab coat seated in front of a computer console, who waved back at her.

Shuri was waiting for her, so she headed further into the lab. Following the low sound of voices in the office, the aroma of coffee met Magna as she entered. The latter was welcomed by M'Wala. He walked up to her with two steaming mugs. The two positioned themselves near the doorway, with their backs to the wall. Although she was still alert to potential danger, everything seemed calm. Which was, again, usual. Magna accepted one of the hot beverages and thanked him appreciatively. The other was meant for Shuri. 

That was a recurrent scene. Over the course of Magna's stay in Wakanda, it had sort of become a routine for her, to be greeted by M'Wala and coffee at Shuri's office like that. Despite the brunette's multiple pleads, he'd vehemently refused to stop doing it, and she didn't want to offend him either. 

She scanned the side of his face, reading the heavy bags under his eyes as she took a big gulp of the steaming drink. His shoulders were drooped as well, instead of his usual confident stance. Something was up.

— Sure you don't want mine? Looks like you need coffee even more than I do.- M'Wala smiled at her attempt at levity and shook his head. — ... All good?

— Ah.. just some work set backs,- he said, feigning a casual shrug. — Nothing I can't handle.- a question formed on her lips as she raised the mug of coffee to her lips again. Gazing into his dark brown eyes as she sipped, the question took shape. The man noted her concerned expression. Something in his expression softened for a moment, and a small smile tugged one side of his mouth. — Do not be concerned about me, Miss. Dávalos.- he patted her shoulder reassuringly. — I am capable of dealing with this matter.

— I'd be happy to help you all I can,- she insisted. He quickly shook his head, and the brunette sensed that he felt uncomfortable with the idea. Then, she released a sigh, directing her gaze back toward the interior of the office. — ... Okay, fine. You win.

He winked. Magna thought she saw relief pass through M'Wala's eyes, but it was gone so quickly that she couldn't be sure. For a moment he looked as if he were about to say something else, then apparently changed his mind. Then, the doctor's Kimoyo Beads made a small beep. Magna watched the light of the bracelet on his wrist pulse. An indecipherable hologram followed, and with a smooth motion, the man clicked on one. The sound stopped.

He took a deep breath and squared his shoulders. He held her curious gaze for a moment before sheepishly looking down at the coffe mug in his hand. Magna correctly deduced what M'Wala meant to ask. Wordlessly, her free hand reached forward and gently grabbed the coffee mug from him. Let me, the gesture said. I'll bring it to her. He blew out a breath and gave her a slight bow. Magna frowned immediately. 

With a quick word to excuse himself, he walked away, not giving her a chance to object. The young woman cautiously watched him vanish through the door. She puffed air through her lips, tamping down her frustration, and leaned against the wall. Her perusal of the room's occupants resumed.

Bucky and the Princess were exchanging hushed words near the latter's desk. She got a glimpse of the former soldier in the furthest corner of the office, with his back to the door. Her curiosity was evident, and Magna made no effort to hide the fact that she was staring. However, neither of them seemed to note her presence.

He was sitting nervously on the lab gurney, looking tense and mildly annoyed. Though Magna couldn't hear them from their position, or read their lips because they were turned at an angle, she could pick up on their body language fairly easily. She'd been trained to observe intently. 

Despite her short height, Shuri stood up straighter and renewed his attention with the subtle change a few calculated adjustments made to her demeanor. Authority flooded her sharp gaze, and both Magna and Bucky was once again reminded she was, indeed, a Princess. And a genius.

— Shuri...- he pleaded. Something in his voice made her turn to face him.

— I mean it. No 'buts'. Take it easy for the rest of the day.- with a frown, Bucky levered himself off the gurney. Sensing his energy, Shuri slammed her papers down on the desk loudly. Magna flinched a bit from the sigh. — I will place guards at your door, if necessary.- his deep grimace suddenly vanished, replaced with a scowl. 

— But I don't have a door.- he pointed out, mildly entertained, his tone deadpan. Shuri glowered at him, with no detectable amusement.

— Bucky.- she warned him. Shit, he thought to himself. She used her stern voice. That meant she was being utterly serious. A chill ran down his spine as he contemplated the realization. For the first time, the magnitude of his circumstances was dawning on him. 

— I... sorry. Sorry.- his shoulders slumped like the shoulders of an old man. So much seemed at stake, and there didn't seem to be any middle ground.

The Princess, however, appeared unfazed. She didn't care for his remorse-- she had no time for it. The only thing Shuri cared about was Bucky's safety.

 — Will it be necessary?- she carried on as if she didn't hear him. Bucky understood. The guards. He searched her features for any hint of softness. Instead, he found an expression which read clearly: I'll take no bullshit, so better be careful. The former soldier shook his head.

— No.- he didn't want to bullshit her, anyway. There was no point.

— Good.- seemingly satisfied with that answer, the young girl She nodded once curtly and averted her eyes to the desk. The Princess tapped on its sleek surface twice, and a hologram of the city appeared. Her eyes fluttered. — Now get out before Zura gets here.- she'd said seriously, her expression intense. She'd want to drag him to the gym. It'd tire him out. Bucky needed calm.

— Am I allowed to swim?- Shuri sighed at the question, thinning her lips into a firm line. A frown went across her brow, the expression so fleeting he wondered if he'd imagined it.

The teen closed her eyesa second, performing a rapid evaluation of potential risks, simultaneously making risk-management decisions. After what felt like years, she met his anxious blue eyes, nodding her reluctant agreement.

 — ... You may. Just don't stay up late. - properly chided, Bucky blinked once; a small, grateful smile quivering at the corners of his mouth.

Despite his effort to concel the panic he felt arising within him, Bucky was soon enough reminded that few things went unnoticed by the young girl. When the latter spoke again, her tone was gentle and firm at the same time.

 — Hey.- her voice lowered to a whisper, — You've done great so far, Bucky. I am proud of you.

— If anything, that's because of you, Shuri.- the latter beamed, a strange kind of knowing, winking smile, crossing her arms over her chest smugly. Much to the former soldier's relief, it seemed like she was finally back to her usual chirpy behavior.

— I know.- Shuri said, dragging her eyes off him and directing her gaze over his shoulder. Her smile broadened — Ah... there she is.

Following her line of sight, Bucky turned to see a familiar someone in the doorway, casually leaning against the wall. He froze, stunned to see her. Magna's hair was tied back, but a few stray locks had escaped the confines of her scrunchie and floated loosely around her face.

She wore a pair of flattering light washed blue jeans, slip-on shoes and a deep aubergine blouse with mixed prints, per Shuri's adamant fashion-foward advice. It was not exactly low cut, but it showed just enough skin to attract Bucky's attention straight away. It clung to her frame, cut to accentuate her chest and narrow waist. A gold neck chain warmed against her exposed skin. Although different, it reminded him of the charm necklace she wore on her birthday. The one with the wedding rings. The one he never dared to ask her about.

Magna sipped coffee again with feigned nonchalance, yet he could tell by the look of her eyes over the rim of the mug that she had questions. Bucky just stared at her for a couple of seconds before turning back to the teen.

— Can I tell her?- he asked, his voice suddenly laced with both worry and anxiety in equal measure. — It should be me.- a look of understanding crossed Shuri's face.

— Of course.- she squeezed his arm and patted his back lightly, offering what comfort she could. — See you tomorrow.- the teen's tone of voice was reassuring. She turned, strolling towards her desk.

Magna held her breath as he made his way to where she was, a tender gaze fixed on her. The brunette hadn't moved yet; her back was still pressed against the wall. He walked towards her with fluid but purposeful steps and something leaped in her heart at the mere sight of him approaching. Bucky felt her steady gaze right down to his bones, yet he refused to look away.

Across the busy room, Shuri paused typing on the holographic keyboard, sneaking a curious glance their way. The pair were super close, their noses almost touching. She suppressed a smug smile. Couldn't be more obvious, these two, she thought. Making goo - goo eyes at one another like that! So obvious and oblivious at the same time!

— Hey.- the former soldier murmured, leaning his vibranium shoulder cap against the wall, by her side.

He carefully watched Magna for a minute; her hair was pulled back away from her face, revealing a classic profile. Bucky studied the curve of her nose, the dark lashes that brushed her high cheekbones, and her lips that were now pursed in thought. As if she felt the weight of his stare, Magna's eyes shot to his. A flush moved through her, warming her.

— Hey.- she smiled, her eyes darting once over his shoulder before her gaze rested on his face again. — Is everything okay?- the young woman asked, giving it a try, assessing his nervous state.

She was expecting to get some sort of flirty remark from him, but instead he smiled down at her, though she still saw strain in the lines around his eyes. Bucky didn't answer right away and that made her heart race as concern dropped into her system.

— Can I see you later?- he asked instead, in a voice low enough so that only she would hear, casting Shuri a sidelong glance over his shoulder. The Princess merely tilted her head at him in silent warning. Magna pretended not to notice. Not now, her mind advised wisely. — ... I was thinking of, uh, maybe having dinner by the lake, um, like a date? O-Only if you w...– his rambling mess was promptly cut off by the brunette, whom he'd never been so thankful to. There she was, being the bigger person by putting him out of his misery.

In all fairness, it had been a while. Bucky hadn't asked a woman out on a date in decades. He was so out of his element it was almost comical.

— It's a date, then.- she nodded, giving him an assuring grin. — Should I bring anything?

— A swimsuit.- he whispered coyly. This close, the sweet coconut scent of her shampoo surrounded him. The need for closeness, to hold her, jolted through him like electricity. But still, he held back, wary of ruining that playful moment between them. Even though they were still at Shuri's ever-busy lab, that corner of the room felt private and he was grateful for their tiny spot to be alone. — ... Just you.

The former soldier gave her a sly smile, and the sight brought swift heat to her cheeks.

— I can work with that.- her fingers tentatively crept along his arm, to his hand; she squeezed his hard, warm flesh. — See you tonight.- the slow movement of his thumb caressed the ridge of her knuckles. Her fingers twitched in his, as if her nerves were going haywire. 

Again, no answer.

With a final squeeze, Bucky turned around and made his way down the hallway. She swallowed, pushing aside a niggling sense of unease. Magna stood and watched him leave. Not now, she silently repeated to herself. Moments later, Bucky's broad back disappeared behind the sliding elevator door.

Well, something's definitely off.

»»————- ✼ ————-««

— Looks like you're having a great day.- she deadpanned. The Princess wasn't amused with the sarcastic comment. She flipped Magna the bird with her free hand, earning a weak chuckle from her.

— That is what this is for.- the teen huffed, pointing at the steaming cup in her hand.

— You look like you need a good night's sleep more than you need caffeine.- the young woman countered with a little smirk. Without glancing up at Magna, her friend stuck out her middle finger one more time and the brunette raised a hand in mock surrender.

The two were sitting on each side of Shuri's desk, their shoes propped up on its surface and warm coffee refills in hand. Magna then filled the Princess in on her recent conversation with Steve, which of course led the brunette to ask about Bucky. During the exchange, Shuri's behavior had been oddly evasive, and -mildly bothered by it-, the female agent decided to drop it. She'd go straight to him, then. No problem.

— I haven't been on an actual date in like, three years.- Magna mused rather distantly, wondering about herself.

— Well, you two have kissed already, so that should simplify things.- Magna rolled her eyes at the teen's comment.

At the deliberate mention of their date later that day, the demeanor of the young genius noticeably changed. The latter relaxed her posture and stopped fidgeting.

— Can we hang out while you get ready?- Shuri asked, rising from her chair and placing the empty coffee cup back on the desk. She sounded guarded still, but there was a hint of excitement in her voice. — Zura is already on her way, and I honestly need to get out of here.- Magna pursed her lips and shrugged, standing up as well. She didn't see why not.

— Any cupid schemes to help me out, Princess?- Magna wondered, only half-teasingly.

— Oh, so now we are helping?- Shuri retorted as she rounded her desk, coming around to Magna's side of it. The latter turned to face her as she did so, standing with her arms crossed in front of her, as if she were cold. — Finally! We are making progress here, -she added with a smug expression, leaning her backside against the edge of the desk. — It was about time you thanked Zura and I for bailing on the birthday dinner.

She shook her head and scoffed in disbelief.

— I am not thanking you for that.- was all Magna said, placing her hands on her hips, and assumed what she thought was a stern expression. Shuri took a deep breath trying to hide the humor she felt about the entire situation.

— ... Not to be that person,- the Princess carried on as if she couldn't hear her. — ... ​but I can't help but feel this date would not be happening without us.- Magna ignored the suggestive wiggling of her eyebrows.

— Let's just go.- she huffed, rolling her eyes. Then, she had a sudden thought and met Shuri's eyes, confused. — What's that supposed to mean, anyway?- she asked, raising a brow at her.

The teen was saved by the bell. A bell in the shape of a girl named Zura clearing her throat noisily. Suddenly, a smile blossomed on Shuri's face. The latter and Magna looked up at their friend at the same time.

— What's up?- she greeted them without looking up, munching on some salty, processed treat. Her gaze was deeply focused on the shiny plastic bag she was holding; her free hand reached into it and rummaged around for more.

— What's that you're eating?- asked Shuri, exchanging amused looks with Magna.

— Cheddar cheese flavored chips,- she said before shoving a handful into her mouth. The teen plopped down on one of the three couches in Shuri's office. Once again, Magna took notice of her familiarity with their surroundings and figured it was a frequent occurence. — Okoye smuggled some for me, we have a deal... Why, do you want some?- upon the weird silence, Zura finally looked up at them with a goofy grin, blissfully oblivious, and asked innocently, — What?

»»————- ✼ ————-««

»»————- ✼ ————-««

LOCATION: WAKANDA, WARRIOR FALLS - THE LAKE

THAT NIGHT

They walked through a grassy meadow, climbing up the hill. The wind blew, Magna's hair flowing with nature. Bucky's was no exception. It looked a little messy but he still looked good; a red blanket was wrapped around his body, covering the scar where his metal arm used to be. Leaves crunched beneath their feet. She reflected on their earlier conversation. Magna wanted to ask, but her heart was afraid of the answers she might get.

The atmosphere was still, the water like a mirror reflecting the bright moonlight, mountains, and trees at the edge of the lake. They talked in soft whispers for a while, taking in the beauty of the night and remarking how light it was. It is difficult to describe. It was brilliant yet soft; light in darkness; not like the day; not like the dawn: the sky at full moon was so bright that only the larger stars were seen. In the reflection of the tranquil water, a silver light shone. One moon in the sky, one in the water.

He was walking barefoot, the deep green grass was soft and dewy beneath him. The brunette, on the other hand, had taken off her shoes right away, carrying them in hand instead. The former soldier had the cooler and rolled blanket, while Magna had taken charge of the wicker basket.

The further the pair walked, the more distinct the sound of water became as it splashed into the lake. Upon the waterfall they came, one of the many that led to the lake. Eventually, the two halted by the top of a hill which led down to the small shore. There was only the sound of some birds singing in the trees. and water cascading down over rocks. Leaving their shoes at the top, they started down to the lakeshore, leaving their footprints in the sand.

At the base of the hill, Magna spread the plaid blanket out in front of a log, so they could use it as a backrest. Bucky unpacked the big wicker basket, taking out the food, a bottle of wine and one glass for her. She curiously eyed the label. Had he remembered that was her favorite wine? Was it just a happy accident? Regardless, soon they were enjoying dinner in the light breeze off the lake.

Suddenly, Magna groaned, and Bucky turned to watch her as she facepalmed.

— Shit, I forgot to bring a towel,-  she said, frowning slightly.

— I packed a few. They're in the basket.- Bucky said, reaching around behind him to grab a beer from the cooler. The man watched as she uncorked the bottle and poured herself some wine.

— Wow, you've really thought of everything.- she tilted her head with amusement. — Not trying to make me look bad here, are you?-  He waggled his eyebrows at her, and she hid a smile behind the rim of her glass.

— Leave it to me not to forget something like that.- he commented, staring at some cattails along the shore of the lake. The irony wasn't lost on him, nor her for that matter. She fought a smile, watching him take another bite of his sandwich.

They chatted about the people they knew, the local happenings, anything he could think of to draw his attention away from the sour announcement ahead. It'd put a damp on their night. He didn't want it to end on such a depressing note. And so, Bucky focused on her lips instead. Did she have any idea what that unmistakable smirk of hers did to him? Her lips curved as she took another sip of her wine.

Hell, yes, she did. 

»»————- ✼ ————-««

— Well, time for a swim!- Magna suddenly announced, standing up. — Feel free to join me, if you ever stop eating.- she reached up behind her head to pull the scrunchie out of her hair. It fell back along her shoulders in wavy locks.

The young woman was wearing a lovely red floral wrap-over dress that accentuated her curves, crossed in front and tied in the back at the waist. The fabric was flowy and made her look like a forest fairy. Bucky struggled to untie his tongue, engaging his brain at the same time, but the two were still slightly out of synch by the time he opened his mouth.

— I don't think you're supposed to swim right after eating.- he argued, but there was hesitation in his voice. — Heard it gives you cramps...?- she snorted in surprise and met his gaze, a hint of amusement dancing in her beautiful eyes.

— Oh,- Magna ran both hands through her hair, and Bucky noticed how pretty it looked as it slipped between her fingers. He felt his own fingers twitch with the urge to do it himself. — ... But that's just a myth!- she rolled her eyes at his silence but her expression softened as she regarded him. — I can wait with you if you want, James.

— No, really, it's okay.- A certain emotion flashed across his features, taking Magna's mind somewhere else. — Go ahead, I'll join you in just a few minutes.

— Sure?- she persisted. He nodded slowly and gave her an encouraging smile. — You know I don't mind...

— I promise. -he murmured, smiling up at her. She heard the strain in his voice as he attempted for it to sound casual, but it was unmistakably thin and shaky. — Go.- Magna's brows furrowed, but she nodded, albeit hesitantly. 

If she hadn't noticed the aura of foreboding around him, she would have said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with him. But heaviness enveloped him. Magna wondered about that again. As she studied him she thought she also glimpsed behind the smile, a sadness in his eyes, a sadness so intense the young woman could sense it radiating from him.

His blue eyes watched her as she walked to the edge of the water, testing it with one foot. Moments later, she dove flawlessly into the pool until her head bobbed to the surface, slick with water. Magna swam like she was born to it, and the former soldier smiled to himself.

— Barnes, you're missing it!- she called out, spitting out water like a fountain. — Too scared?-. — I totally get it, cramps are super scary!- he heard her challenge him and rolled his eyes at that. However, Magna relentlessly carried on, poking the bear some more. — ... Come on! I'll save you if something happens!

— Ha!- he retorted dryly, throwing his head back. — I'd like to see you try!- came his mocking words from the shore. — Aren't you the one who almost died from drowning in this very lake like, what, three months ago? Who saved you then?

She had a smile on her face as she remembered, which Bucky thought odd, because the latter would have done anything to forget such a terrifying experience. Then, he realized she wasn't remembering almost drowning. She was remembering him, saving her life.

— Remember how intense that was?- the brunette chuckled. Granted, Magna would never forget the feeling of the water closing over her head and beginning to fill her lungs. She would never forget Bucky's strong arm pulling her free, either. — All the more reason for you to come here!- she argued with a mischievous grin. — Who knows when I might need a lifeguard again!

He didn't come close to her, despite the temptation he could barely resist. After a while, she swam towards the shore. She emerged from the water and Bucky's brain froze. Droplets of water clung to her body and her skin glistened. The moon sowed a silver bead of light through every drop of water on her skin, and he watched them slide down her stomach and soak into her dark purple bikini. Bucky sat there, blissfully adoring her, while she quickly toweled herself off.

Magna lay down on her back, next to him, and exhaled, content.

— You smell good,- he said. She smelled like water. One side of her mouth kicked up knowingly.

— I always smell good.- she retorted with humor, keeping her eyes closed. He couldn't object, for truer words had never been uttered.

— You smell like... nature, -as usual, he regretted the words as soon as they came out of his mouth. His chest shudders with a tight, embarrassed chuckle escaping from his lips against his will. — Jesus, that sounded cheesy, right?- he said, sounding slightly disappointed in himself. He wished that he could have said something better.

— And you like that,- it was meant to be a question, however her words sounded like a shy statement. He wished he'd been able to tell her what was on his mind. I like many things about you, Magna.

Silence ensued. She waited, but nothing happened. Upon his lack of response, she opened her mouth to speak again when sudden movement next to her interrupted her. Abruptly, he scrambled to his feet and removed the burgundy plaid tunic that hung off his shoulders. Then came another piece of blue cloth that covered his left arm, and finally the belt held the garments in place.

A shudder ran through him as he stripped off his clothes. He was wearing swimming trunks beneath as it had seemed easier to come prepared rather than have to change when they got here. Magna felt her cheeks flush as she watched the scene, her mouth agape.

His chest was bare. Despite herself, she couldn't help but stare at his muscular naked torso. Magna caught a glimpse of silvery lines and forced herself to remain impassive at the sight; she thought that might make him feel self conscious. Bucky studied her for a long moment, his expression unreadable. Surprise coursed through her as he reached down, gently taking her arm and pulling her to her feet. A small frown crossed over her features. He grinned devilishly.

— What are you..- there was no time to react. She squealed as he hauled her over his shoulder and took off running toward the lake. — NOOOOO!

The two went under.

Magna surfaced, gasping and coughing, only to see him waiting for her with a cocky grin on his handsome face, treading water in front of her. She cursed herself for teaching him how to do that.

— You're such an asshole!- that was the first thing she said. Bucky offered her an unrepentant smirk. Oh, damn you, James Buchanan Barnes. — I can't believe this keeps happening!

She barely had time to appreciate the wonder of his gorgeous body soaked, when he came at her, his palm thrusting the water at her in gigantic splashes.

— What are you gonna do about it?- his voice reflected the smug expression on his features, but the smugness was short-lived. The young woman slapped the water with the palm of her hand, sending a huge geyser into his face that left him sputtering.

That's what I'm gonna do about it.- she scowled, noticing Bucky was laughing beneath his sputtering. Magna decided he needed more humbling. Using both hands, she began to send consistent torrents his way until he relented.

— Okay, doll, okay!- he called out, between sputters and laughs. She splashed him one last time, but he artfully dodged out of her way. The brunette found her footing, then suddenly noticed he was getting too close. She turned to leave, but...

— Oh no, you don't!- he yelled dramatically, tugging her hand to a halt.

She turned to face him and tried to revert to splashing him once more, but Bucky lifted her out of the water as if she weighed no more than a feather, foiling her plans. The young woman squealed in protest and looked down into his laughing face. One of her favorite Bucky-smiles, for it was so rare an occurrence as it was special. He looked so young and carefree.

Suddenly, though, the atmosphere between them changed, becoming charged with something neither could name, and as Magna watched the smile fade from his face she could only wait for what would come.

His eyes took in every inch of her face. Bucky lowered her gently back into the water, allowing her water-slicked body to slide over until her toes touched the bottom again. She was barely conscious of having regained her feet, for she was held in a thrall by the expression in his ocean eyes. It was primitive, feral, and hauntingly sensual -a force as old as humankind itself- and it called powerfully to something deep within her that she had not known still existed. The intensity of that elemental call rocked her to the core of her being, terrifying her with one realization: she could easily fall in love with this man. Much too easily.

Her wet, slick body pressed against his as he held her tight with one arm. He felt wonderful, she noted, his skin warm and slippery. Oh, fuck it, she thought. Closing the distance between them, Magna gave him a single, slow kiss. For a second, she hesitated, waiting for a rejection that never came.

And the restraint that had kept him on a tight rein all evening was—not gone, but drawn back. Bucky met her kiss hungrily, moving his fingers up her back to cup the back of her neck. His fingers tangled in the wet strands of her hair, allowing no escape. Not that escaping was on her mind. She dug her hands into his shoulders, straining to somehow get closer.

Their mouths eagerly found each other's and greedily devoured one another as if they had been separated for an eternity. She slid her hands up his back. His heart began to beat fiercely.

— Well,- she laughed a little and broke the kiss, panting. — Now we're both gonna drown.- bringing her nose down to touch his, she took in deep breaths.

— What a way to go...- Bucky breathed against her mouth, lips already searching for hers again. She loved it. She craved it. It was her lifeline and guilty pleasure.

He tore his mouth away to break the kiss, panting against her cheek as if he needed the break. She knew that she did. The former soldier cupped her face tenderly, his eyes a physical caress over her features. Magna tipped her head back, her brown eyes trusting, her mouth starting to curve into a smile.

— See you on the other side.- she whispered. What a way to go. For a long moment, he continued cupping her chin, his eyes searching her face for any uncertainty, but finding only eager anticipation and that slight smile which he secretly adored.

The moon was so bright, he could see her face clearly. Her eyes shone. Her lips begged to be kissed again. He obliged, and his chin swept the length of her cheek as he searched for her mouth.

 »»————- ✼ ————-««

His eyelids were shut, his hair was disheveled and wet; streams of water cascaded down Bucky's bare chest. Magna breathed in, staring at the damage that had been so wretchedly imposed on his body for many years, her eyes trailing the grim patterns. 

Against her better judgment, she let her fingers find the edges of the man's scars on his left shoulder, tracing down across his chest, feeling the texture of the silver marks that peppered his naked skin. Small scars puckered his skin, raised and ridged beneath the grazing brush of her fingertips. Bucky unclosed his eyes. He must have felt the weight of her gaze crushing him, for his hand immediately found Magna's wrist, stopping her, as a look of deep self-disgust twisted his features.

It broke her heart. With everything that had happened since, she'd forgotten, somehow, about the tragic circumstances which had brought the two of them together in the first place. Perhaps because she refused to let any of that define Bucky as a person. He was not an amount of tragedies. He was a person, trying to earn a second chance at a life that was stolen from him all too soon.

Magna took his hand in hers. She couldn't stop herself. Her mind was so full, filled with questions and she doubted she'd be able to say anything that made sense anyway. The gesture was all she could manage at the moment. As gently as if he were made of glass, she lifted it to her mouth and kissed his perpetually scraped knuckles, ​his fingertips too.

The young woman didn't recall ever sharing that kind of intimacy with someone else before. Sure, Steve knew all about her battle wounds, but this was different. Some wounds were life wounds. Heartbreak wounds. And Bucky was the first to see them all.

— It's all right.- the firmness in her tone surprised him. — I don't see what you see, James.- he shook his head.— I have them too, you know.- then, Magna reached one hand across her forearm, where the moonlight was making silvery rivers of her scars. Then, she brought Bucky's fingers and made them follow that same path. He took the opportunity to observe them in full proximity for the first time.

She had an impressive amount of them, albeit quite smaller and far more discreet than his. His fingers caressed the healed stripes, ran through the larger ones, some deep and pitted. Piled on top of those scars were yet hundreds more from her years of foster care. Bucky's hand trembled against her forearm, his digits lightly tracing the small creases. There was only the sound of his breathing, slow and steady. And when his hand reached that scar on her lower abdomen, he circled the ragged mark with one fingertip. It felt like feather-soft tissue.

— Like scratched up leather...- she muttered wryly. Magna made fun of herself as regularly as she made fun of him.

— How... how did you get shot?- his voice trembled as much as his finger against the ridge of tissue. When she studied Bucky, her eyes seemed to question his recognition momentarily. Then, she remembered that if there was one thing that man knew a lot --and probably too much-- about, was weapons.

— Third mission. I was a baby, too reckless for my own good...- she chuckled to herself. — I had surgery... things got messy.- Magna looked away, but only for a moment. Her expression sobered, and a shiver traveled through her at his touch. Wordlessly, he wondered how many crooked lines she'd left on others.— I have a few cigarette burns as well.- at that, the light exploration of his travelling fingers stopped immediately. Magna shrugged, as if it were a matter of small consequence.

— ... What?- he asked slowly. She nodded, ignoring his incredulous tone, and guided his hand to her left thigh first, where neat horizontal strokes ran along her soft skin nearly to the hips. 

Self-inflicted wounds. Oh, no, he thought, pushing away whatever sadness such a sight brought him.Then, she showed him the darker spots of puckered skin on the upper right leg. Those scars were well healed but evidence, undoubtedly, of assaults which had broken the skin. And on more than one occasion.

For one long moment he said nothing, did nothing, unable to take in the enormity of it. Then, he touched those circles with fingers suddenly exquisitely gentle. How could he have missed such brands before? Probably because you never looked, never expected anything so vile, he admonished himself in disgust. On impulse, he squatted down, and the water murmured around his torso, rose up his arm and reached for his shoulders.

Bucky brought her thigh up just a little, and pressed his lips to the ugly traces of cruel treatment. He kissed each and every single one of the old cigarette burn scars that she'd carried since her years in those foster homes from hell.

— ... Who did this to you, Magna?- he asked in a low voice, straightening up to his full height again. She sighed in defeat. 

— One of my foster dads... he liked putting out his cigars on us as punishment.- slowly, carefully, fighting to gain mastery over the fury that surged through his blood, the former soldier pressed his forehead to hers, their mouths inches apart.

She had said "Us." Us, as in, not just her. Someone had done that to so many others as well. Some of them were even younger than she was at that point. 

— This, uh, was for spilling Coke on the carpet,- Magna pointed at one particular scar on her knee. — I was ten at the time...- her voice trailed off as she measured Bucky's expression. Oh... there it was. That look. Her frown deepened into almost a scowl. — ... Don't feel sorry for me. I'm not happy about them, but I'm not ashamed of them, either. It makes me see where I've been, and where I am now.

Eventually, she'd ended up with a loving family who wanted to adopt her. That was the only bit of her past that actually mattered to her, and it made all the pain and trauma worth it. She'd go through all of it just the same if it meant getting even a chance to see Julia and Ronald for the first time again. She'd give anything to relive all those years with them. Her last first family. 

— Talk to me, please.- Magna's voice pulled him out of his musings, her lips pressed in a thin line. She was starting to overthink again. How could he tell her how he felt? — I'm sorry, that was probably too intense. I should've...- the feeling of his hand interrupted her. Rubbing his finger over the faded line on the back of her wrist, he finally spoke.

— I'm glad you're here.- a simple sentence, yet it packed a hard-hitting punch. Bucky grazed his fingers over where her lines ran, wishing he could soothe the deeply entrenched scars in her psyche.

She'd gone through years of shuffling from foster home to foster home. She'd had her share of abuse at the hands of various foster parents and stepfathers, but all of her deepest wounds were on the inside.

— I'm glad you're alive.- he whispered to clarify. When the former soldier slanted his gaze to her, he sa

w her gazing back at him with wonder in her eyes. Tears slowly overflowed her eyes and began to trickle down her cheeks, mixing with drops of lake water. 

— I'm glad you're here too. -Magna murmured, wrapping her arms around his waist. She buried her head against his chest and marvelled at how her face fit there so perfectly.

He hugged her back, resting his chin on top of her head. For a few moments all she heard were his heartbeat and his breathing. They held each other tight, swaying back and forth.

— Are you okay?- he asked softly after a few minutes of pleasant quietude. Magna desperately wanted to tell him so many things, but her brain couldn't find her tongue. There were so many things she should have said, but only one that really mattered. 

She smiled and nodded once, pressing a kiss against his firm chest, directly over his heart, before glancing up at him.

— I am.

 »»————- ✼ ————-««

— Oh!- she suddenly said once they made it back to the blanket, palming her forehead. — No wonder it's so quiet here. I almost forgot the music!- she muttered, rummaging inside the contents of her tote bag. Magna had compiled a playlist just for him, filled with songs she believed he might like.

The young woman connected her phone, scrolling through the music library, instructing her smart speaker to play one particular tune she had been listening to non-stop.

Ever since that night the two had slow-danced in the middle of her living room, she'd decided to pay more attention to Bucky's connection with music from his past. There was obviously more than just a nostalgic element to it, and Magna felt curious. She'd soon realized that listening to music from the 40s made her feel more connected to him.

Frank Sinatra's voice came booming out of the speakers. It was Some Enchanted Evening, a song from the 1949 musical South Pacific, written by Rodgers and Hammerstein. She knew that he must have heard that version at some point, relying on the fact that Bucky had recently requested Shuri for a record player. The Princess had mentioned that, among several other famous voices, a few Sinatra albums happened to be there as well. The teen tried showing him that streaming music online was a thing now, in hopes of slowly acclimating him to the new times, yet it had been futile. Magna found the whole thing deeply amusing; Shuri and her had vowed to themselves to teach Bucky how to use Spotify, one way or another. It was a mission, and they intended to succeed.

𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘮𝘢𝘺 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘮𝘢𝘺 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘢 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘤𝘳𝘰𝘴𝘴 𝘢 𝘤𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘳𝘰𝘰𝘮... The familiar smooth, rich voice sang in the background as she slipped back into her wrap-dress. Bucky hummed to himself, seemingly pleased with Magna's choice. Extending his hand toward her, he bowed slightly like a prince who had just stepped out of a fairy tale.

— May I?- she narrowed her eyes at him, holding back a smile as she accepted the offer, slipping her hand into his.

𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘯,𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘺𝘰𝘶'𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯... With a twinkle in his eye, Bucky took her left hand in his right and she put her right hand onto his left shoulder. After a few robotic movements, Magna couldn't fight the force it took to remain rigid and so she softened against him, abandoning her nerves for the simple delight of dancing among the shifting shadows.

𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘺 𝘣𝘦 𝘭𝘢𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘮𝘢𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘢𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘤𝘳𝘰𝘴𝘴 𝘢 𝘤𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘳𝘰𝘰𝘮... Good Lord, he could dance. She was surrounded by him. It was all too easy. It was perfect as nothing else in her life had ever been, their bodies moving in harmony as if they had waltzed together a thousand times before.

𝘈𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵, 𝘢𝘴 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦 𝘢𝘴 𝘪𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦𝘮𝘴, 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘢𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘪𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴.. Magna felt weightless, gliding smoothly within the parameters of his taut and graceful movements. 𝘞𝘩𝘰 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘦𝘹𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘪𝘵, 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘸𝘩𝘺? 𝘧𝘰𝘰𝘭𝘴 𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯𝘴, 𝘸𝘪𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘦𝘯 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘺...

Dipping her, twirling her, he spun her around so fast that she started to get dizzy; his chest rumbled with an amused chuckle. 𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨, 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘦 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦, 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘤𝘳𝘰𝘴𝘴 𝘢 𝘤𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘳𝘰𝘰𝘮... Grinning, she held onto his shoulder to keep from tipping sideways, the two of them laughing as if the world was one huge joke. As if this is meant to be, she silently mused.

No, she didn't believe in things like destiny. People had to carve their own lives out of the circumstances they were dealt. As handsome as the man before her was, as expressive as his eyes were, and as easily as their kisses came, it was still absurd to think he'd come into her life because of destiny. It was even more absurd she was debating the possibility.

𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘧𝘭𝘺 𝘵𝘰 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘥𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘰𝘸𝘯, 𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘮𝘢𝘺 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘢𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘦... It had to be the lake, the music, the damn effect of that wine. It had to be. There was nothing special about that song, that dance, and the man she shared it with was merely a man. Those were facts, not fate.

" But Dad, I'm not really a Galván ."

"Oh, but you are, you absolutely are. And I think you were always meant to be my daughter, Magna. And I was always meant to be your father."

The memory caught her by surprise. Did her adoptive father truly believe in fate, or had he said those words to comfort a little girl who'd never forgotten being left behind?

𝘖𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘳, 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘨𝘰..

— All good?- Bucky's soft question brought her back to reality. She gave him a small, reassuring smile.

How odd that he'd asked. Bucky hadn't changed the rhythm of their dancing or the way he was holding her hand as Magna had remembered Ronald's words about destiny. On the surface, everything was the same, all smooth steps, synchronicity. And yet, he had noticed her subtle change in mood. He was more than a man, and Magna couldn't fool herself otherwise.

Delight shivered through him at the thought of the beautiful night they were sharing. He twirled her quickly one last time, watching her dress rise in the air while she moved, and when she spun back into his arms, Bucky dipped her back so low that her hair brushed the ground. He looked into her eyes. She held on tighter and returned his gaze.

𝘖𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘳, 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘨𝘰...

There was something truly special about her. That night had become so much more than setting the right scene for breaking the dreaded news to her. The lake, that full moon, Frank Sinatra, and the woman before him all combined to make Bucky feel like he was standing at the brink of something new. Did she feel it too?

He couldn't ask her if she believed in destiny, but he could hold her as the song played, so he lost himself in her brown eyes as they waltzed together under the big Wakandan sky. This was where he wanted to be, but more importantly, this was the woman with whom he wanted to be.

His lips sought hers again and together they moved in a slow, thorough and sensual rhythm. Then, he pulled her upright as they continued kissing in the middle of the invisible dance floor, until she eventually broke the kiss to glance up at him.

— What is it?- she finally demanded to know. It was now or never. Whatever was going on, whatever he'd been keeping inside, it was time to let it out. — Tell me, James. What is it?- there was a pause and the latter didn't say anything.

This might be the last time you'll ever see her. Bucky drank her in. Staring at her the way he might stare at a beloved place he was not sure he would ever see again, trying to commit the details to memory, to paint them on the backs of his eyelids that he might see when he shut his eyes to sleep.

He wanted to commit to memory every moment of that night just in case that wound up being their one and only date. The odds were not in his favor, anyway. For plenty of reasons (which he felt himself only beginning to understand), Bucky couldn't bear the idea of never seeing her again. And that was terrifying. Perhaps even more terrifying than the events that were set to take place the following day.

He swallowed hard, unable to speak. The breeze was gone, and their surroundings were flawlessly calm. She craved for a storm, or at least for anything to churn the atmosphere up and disturb it, so that matched her emotions. She looked down, frustrated.

— I can handle it.- Magna heard her own stubborn voice as if from very far away. Bucky hung his head as well, a mixture of sadness and pain written plainly across his face.

— Doll,- he started, whispering weakly, scooting closer. — It's the test.- her face snapped up, facing him with an incredulous expression. Bucky let his direct gaze dart across her conflicted face as he spoke. She looked at him very carefully through deep brown eyes. — The trigger words. Ayo will test them tomorrow night.

Magna started pacing frantically.

— But Shuri...- her steps halted, as she turned around with an obstinate frown. — She...- he interrupted her softly, finishing the sentence for her.

— ... Did her best.- his voice was slow, relaxed, fairly quiet, and carried a faint tone of resignation. — I would never doubt her. But my head... It was a very difficult task, Mags. It's the only way to know for sure that it worked.- Silence stretched between them. — And I... I don't know if I can--I don't want to hurt--I don't...- he spoke rapidly and almost shaking.

There was sorrow and knowledge in her gaze, as if she suddenly understood everything going through his head. The brunette buried her face in the crook of his neck and sighed, holding onto him as though her life depended on it.

— I don't want to hurt anyone.- his voice cracked with shame and dejection, face contorting as the pain seemed to overwhelm him. — I don't want to hurt anyone again.

— It's gonna be okay.- she murmured and held on to the back of his neck, his head, caressing his hair. She felt a torrent of tangled feelings, and faced them all fully. — It's gonna be okay.

❁❂❁

♡ 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕜 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘!

If you like this story, don't hesitate to vote & leave a comment, feedback helps me a lot!

𝗕𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗻 𝗔𝗻𝗱𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘀, 𝗣𝗿𝗼𝗺𝗶𝘀𝗲 #𝟭:

"𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘵𝘩 𝘶𝘯𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘐 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘧𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘥 & 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘐 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭 𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘪𝘧 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘶𝘵, 𝘪𝘯 𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘤𝘩 𝘤𝘢𝘴𝘦, 𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘭𝘪𝘦 𝘢𝘴 𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘤𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘭𝘺 𝘢𝘴 𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘣𝘭𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢𝘴 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘢𝘴 𝘐 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

36.9K 1.1K 16
Sequel to "Time" 2 years on from the events in Europe, Natasha and Bucky are finally settling into the normal routine they always wanted. Well, thei...
43.1K 1.5K 35
Sequel of Rumors of War, The Immortality War, and Winter's War. Book Four of Five. Set during Captain America: Civil War. .•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•. "I lo...
13.3K 995 33
"Both feet steady on the curb, Steve looked up at the house. For a moment, wondering what it looked like before. Glancing to his left and right, Stev...
2.7M 76.6K 32
' "Put her down, Bucky." It was Steve. Staring up into Bucky's eyes that were now glued to the captain, Brenna saw the soft blue turn to steel. A lo...