The Baker's Detective

By chalupa_tyler

Lily Marlow loves to bake. She loves eating the food she makes, of course, but it's much more than that; seei... More

| Prologue |
| The Thai Restaurant and the Flat of Dreams |
| The Knocker and the Noise |
| The Wall and the Flower Girl |
| The Betrayal and the Boredom |
| The Detective and the Sandwich Shop |
| The Case and the Laughter |
| The Backsplash and the Cookies |
| The Solution and the Flower Fairy |
| The Babysitter and the Estate |
| The Cinnamon Buns and the Shock |
| The Murder and the Sympathy |
| The Book and the Act |
| The Concern and the Brother |
| The Favor and the Coronet |
| The Loyalty and the Questioning |
| The Safe and the Tarts |
| The Scones and the Confession |
| The Compliment and the Family |
| The Ears and the Fairy Guard |
| The Argument and the Friend |
| The Discovery and the Turnovers |
| The Breakfast and the Sister |
| The Crumbs and the Yard |
| The Store and the Cake |
| The Call and the Train |
| The Poster and the Inn |
| The Coroner and the Dinner |
| The Sauce and the Hunch |
| The Hospital and the Connection |
| The Realization and the Nap |
| The League and the Fight |
| The Palace and the Apology |
| The Office and the Tapping |
| The Vault and the Couch |
| The Date and the Smile |
| The Story and the Kiss |
| The Victim and the Note |
| The Clue and the Trap |
| The Gun and the Heart |
| The Return and the Email |
| The Bakery and the End |
Author's Note

| The Garden and the Brownies |

1.2K 50 8
By chalupa_tyler

Meeting her neighbors wasn't as bad as Lily had feared.

She was worried they wouldn't like her just showing up, or they wouldn't like the cookies, or they just simply wouldn't like her. Sherlock worried her most, considering she had already bugged him, but she wouldn't let it stop her — like he said. He was surprisingly kind.

When talking to John, her worries started to become alleviated, as he was so nice and welcoming, and then Sherlock walked in, and there was a moment when she felt very exposed under his gaze. She'd heard he could basically discern someone's whole life story from the tiniest detail, and it felt like that was what he was doing, in that one moment — reading her like a book. But then he offered a smile, and his kindness showed in his voice. She could tell that he knew she was nervous, by the gentleness in his voice, but that also meant he was trying to alleviate her worries. And he had.

The cookies were definitely a hit, and Rosie was absolutely delightful, and even Sherlock's deductions weren't horrible or horribly put. It was strangely a comfort for him to know about her nerves; now she won't have to fear he or John thinking she's rude or something when she talks to them. They'll know why she's stuttering or rambling or giving the occasional short reply.

And then she managed to guess that Sherlock plays violin, which was a delightful surprise, if it was only a fluke. They'll be returning the dish, too, which means she'll talk to them again, and Rosie evidently wants to visit.

Lily has a feeling that she and her neighbors are going to be good friends. At least for a little bit.

,,,O,,, ,,,O,,, ,,,O,,,
{_;_;_;_} {_;_;_;_} {_;_;_;_}
\_|_|_/ \_|_|_/ \_|_|_/

After she left, Lily got some lunch from Speedy's (though she didn't get dessert) and then began unpacking her clothes. It took ages, and she finished with putting her blankets in the chest at the end of her bed. She absently wished she had some secrets to store in the bottom, under the blankets as she put them inside — though she supposed it was much less stressful to have no secrets to store, romantic or otherwise.

She made spaghetti for dinner and ate on the couch while she watched TV, then she had another cookie before she went to bed early, reading a few chapters in a book before she actually fell asleep.

This morning, she has a slow breakfast in front of the TV, then reads some more, having nothing to do. Everything is done now, and it's an odd feeling to be idle. She looks at her mantelpiece with the knickknacks on it and decides there isn't quite enough, and surely there's some other things she missed at the shops. She gets dressed and goes out, hailing a cab to take her. After doing a bit of shopping, not getting anything large considering she has to carry it back, she sits down for a quiet lunch, then passes a bakery on her way down the street — the same one she saw when she was walking with Liam the day she found 221C.

She decides to go in, briefly wondering what it would be like if she owned it as she walks in. There's a purple theme going on, with purple walls, dark purple tables and chairs, and purple accents in the decorations. The counter is, likewise, purple, and the glass case's base is a dark wood. The desserts, however, are mostly not purple.

There's tarts, scones, muffins, cupcakes, cheesecake, eclairs, cinnamon buns, chocolate croissants, and, of course, biscuits. Lily gets a chocolate croissant, then returns to her new flat, feeling refreshed after a few hours of being out by herself.

She puts up all her shopping, then sits for a bit, trying to figure out what to do. After some thinking, she finally decides to go and ask Mrs. Hudson if she can work in the garden; it was a bit unkempt the last she saw it, and Mrs. Hudson said she was free to work in it if she liked, but she still feels like she'll be messing with something that isn't really hers.

First changing into some old clothes, she heads up to 221A, and Mrs. Hudson, thankfully, is home.

"Oh, Lily!" she says happily. "Hello. Thank you again for the cookies — you know, they get better with every one you eat."

Lily laughs. "You're welcome. And thank you."

"You're welcome, dear. You have a talent."

"Thank you," Lily repeats. "I just came up to ask if it would be alright if I worked in the garden today?"

"Of course!" Mrs. Hudson says, basically waving her off. "It's all yours. I've honestly never seemed to have the time for it, or the patience. Plants can be so finicky."

Lily nods. "They can — but it's so gratifying when you get them to actually grow. And flowers are pleasing to look at it."

"Pleasing to look at, but not pleasing to bring up," Mrs. Hudson jokes. "To each their own. That garden is all yours, if you really want it."

Lily smiles. "Thank you so much, Mrs. Hudson."

"It's no sacrifice, believe me. But you're very welcome." Lily starts to go, but she stops her. "Oh! Let me give you your cookie dish back. I just washed it this morning." She hurries inside, then returns with the dish.

Lily tells her goodbye, puts the dish in her flat, then heads to the backyard to get a better look at what she's dealing with.

It's a bit small, which is to be expected considering the location. The clothesline is to the left of the door, a load of laundry drying on it. Lily first sees a child's shirt, which must be Rosie's. There's also a button-up shirt that looks as if it could be Sherlock or John's, amongst some other laundry.

She turns her attention to the rest of the yard, where it's divided in two. One side is for a small selection of fruits and vegetables, none of them even close to ripe — some likely never to grow again — and the other for a gaggle of flowers. Some are wilted, others are overgrown. In the corner, next to the clothesline, is a basket of gardening tools, so Lily, using her knowledge of helping in the garden as a kid, does what she can. All the while, she thinks of seeds to buy tomorrow, happy to have something to do.

After working for a couple hours, there's nothing more for her to do, so she returns to her apartment, her hands, clothes, and legs a bit dirty, and a smudge of dirt across her face where she wiped a bit of sweat off on her glove. It's an uncommonly hot day, and the work didn't help matters. She's just got back, about to go take a shower, when there's a knock at the door.

She can't leave it unanswered, so, a bit panicked now, she walks up the stairs and answers the door to find Sherlock Holmes on the other side.

"Hello," he says.

Surprised and a bit embarrassed by the her state right now, she replies, "He- Hello."

"I brought your dish back," he explains, holding it out to her. "Rosie sends her love; she's watching the new Thomas and Friends, and that takes precedence over everything."

Lily laughs lightly, still wondering at what he must think of the state of her clothes, not to mention her hair. "Well, you can tell her I send my love to her, and- and I'll send some baked goods with it soon."

"Cookies?" Sherlock asks hopefully, and Lily laughs again, a bit less nervously this time, though she still can't look him in the eye.

"Eventually. I can make more than just cookies, though."

"You are more than welcome to send whatever it is upstairs," Sherlock replies, and Lily laughs a third time.

"I'll be sure to. As long as you keep bringing back my dishes."

"We can do that."

"Then you have yourself a deal," Lily jokes, trying to loosen the tightness in her chest. Sherlock smiles at her, that same close-lipped smile from before. And for a moment, she forgets the dirt on her clothes and face, her likely messy hair, pushed back with a headband. Then, his eyes flick to the smudge on her forehead.

"You've been... gardening," he says, his voice a bit unsure.

Lily, now more embarrassed, looks down. "Yes. You- You caught me just after I got back in."

"I apologize. I-"

"That's alright," she says quickly, looking at his eyes again. "Next time we meet, though, I'll be sure to actually look presentable."

"Oh, no, I think the dirt is becoming," he jokes. "Quite the fashion statement."

Lily laughs again, relieved. "Thank you — for that and my dish."

He nods, then awkwardly says, "Well, I'm going to go... relay your message to Rosie. I'll... see you around."

"See you around," Lily replies. He walks away, and Lily closes the door, smiling as she goes to take her shower. She runs through her recipes in her head, trying to decide which to make next, and she finally settles on brownies. Most people like brownies.

,,,O,,, ,,,O,,, ,,,O,,,
{_;_;_;_} {_;_;_;_} {_;_;_;_}
\_|_|_/ \_|_|_/ \_|_|_/

The next day, after breakfast, Lily went out to buy seeds, plants, and pots, getting some advice and info from the shop's owner before she left and returned home to change into clothes more appropriate for gardening.

Outside, the clothesline was empty, reminding Lily that she should probably do some laundry at the end of the week. She made a mental note, then turned to the little garden, beginning with the fruits and vegetables. She bought a small raspberry plant, a strawberry plant, and a couple tomato plants (to replace the dying tomato plants that couldn't be saved).

After she'd planted those, she turned and started on the flowers — marigolds, cosmos, sweet peas, pansies, poppies, snapdragons, baby's breath, and, of course, lilies. She plans to come and pick some flowers when they bloom to replace the yellow lilies on her coffee table when they begin to wilt.

The work was long but fun for her, and she ended up sweaty and dirty again by the end of it, so she took a shower when she got back inside, that time luckily not getting interrupted before she could.

After that, she had some lunch and watched TV, trying to decide what to do with the rest of her day. Would it be too early to make brownies for her new neighbors? It had been two days since she brought the cookies, and Sherlock only gave back the dish the day before...

She decided to make them that night, and bring them up the next day after she waters the garden. It took her no time at all, that recipe also second nature, and she sang along to some music as she did. Some songs she and Liam like — Gonna Buy Me a Dog, Go Your Own Way, Yellow Submarine, etc. — came on, and it made her miss him. His visits to her old flat were always short, so it was nice to have him around for longer.

While the brownies cooled, she made dinner and watched TV until she fell asleep on the couch. A commercial greeted her when she woke up some time during the night, so she turned the TV off and shuffled back to bed. She let herself sleep in this morning.

When she gets up, she has a quick breakfast and waters the garden. This done, and the brownies on two dishes, she first ensures that she looks presentable, then stops at Mrs. Hudson's to ask if she wants any.

"Oh, you'll spoil us all if you keep this up," Mrs. Hudson says with a laugh. "I'll have just one. You best take the rest upstairs; Rosie will love these. And keep some for yourself."

"Trust me, I already have," Lily jokes, then bids Mrs. Hudson goodbye before she heads upstairs to 221B, where Sherlock, John, and Rosie are luckily home.

Sherlock answers the door when she knocks. "Hello." He then sees the dish. "Oh, brownies."

"Lily?" Rosie asks from inside.

Lily chuckles at this, and Sherlock steps aside to let her in, taking the dish from her as she walks through the door. He holds it in one hand, taking a brownie with the other. Lily shakes her head at him, laughing. "You better save some for Rosie."

Rosie stands on her toes, trying to see the dish. "What it is?" she asks; she hadn't heard Sherlock before.

"Brownies," Lily says, already on Rosie's level with her wide, friendly smile. "Mrs. Hudson just told me you would love them."

Rosie grins and runs after Sherlock to the kitchen, trying to reach the brownies, which are on the counter. Sherlock, half a brownie in hand, the other half in his mouth, shakes his head. "Sorry. They're all mine."

"Lily said to save some for me," Rosie argues.

Lily gives Sherlock a pointed look, her hands on her hips and amusement dancing in her eyes. He looks up at her and starts to smile, though it seems he's fighting it off.

"Lock," Rosie insists, and he playfully rolls his eyes.

"Oh, alright," he says, looking at the brownies. "Now, which is the smallest one..." he mutters, loud enough for Rosie to hear.

"Lock!"

He laughs, handing her a brownie. "Here; it's the biggest."

"Thank you," she says, exasperated.

"What's going on in here?" John asks, coming in from the door to the kitchen. He sees the brownies first, then Lily. "Oh, hello. You've brought more baked goods?"

"I told her she was welcome to," Sherlock says, already on his third brownie.

"Sherlock," John says disapprovingly, even as he takes a brownie himself.

"No, it's alright," Lily cuts in. "I love baking, and I don't need to be eating everything I make. I'm more than happy to share."

"See?" Sherlock replies, causing Lily to laugh again.

"I have another one?" Rosie asks, and John chuckles before giving her one. "But this is the last one — and that goes for you, too, Sherlock."

Sherlock rolls his eyes again, and again Lily laughs. John, however, picks up another one.

"How come Ro and I can't have another one but you can?" Sherlock complains, reminding Lily of some of her students.

"Because I've only had one," John replies. "You've had about seven, and Rosie's had two. We're saving the rest for later, so Lily won't have to keep making us things."

"I really don't mind," she says. "Really. I mean, if you don't me want to-"

"Oh, we want you to," John cuts in. "These are the best brownies I've ever had. We just don't want to inconvenience you."

"I'm off work for the whole summer, so I don't have much to do but bake anyway. It's definitely not an inconvenience."

While she's speaking, Sherlock is trying to sneak and take another brownie, but John sees Lily glance over and suppress a laugh, and Sherlock is busted. He retracts his hand in annoyance. John then adds to the conversation, "I suppose at the very least Sherlock's actually eating something."

"I eat," Sherlock argues. "Just not when I'm on cases."

"You don't eat very well even if you aren't."

"Digestion slows my brain down."

"But food provides the body with energy, so I don't think that's right..." Lily says, now confused and a bit concerned.

"Exactly," John says.

"If my brain isn't telling my intestines and stomach to digest food, I can use it better to solve cases."

"Then why don't you eat when you're not on a case?"

"I do."

"Rarely."

He shrugs. "Not hungry." Then, he looks at Lily. "Unless it's baked goods."

John sighs, shaking his head, and Lily can tell this is a conversation they've had before, especially when she sees Rosie, who's returned to coloring at the kitchen table, also shaking her head. Lily can't help but laugh at their entertaining family dynamic.

"I'm sorry. I'm glad you find this all amusing instead of repelling," John says.

"I was really stubborn growing up, so... I'm kinda used to this sort of stuff," Lily replies.

"Really? I wouldn't picture you as being... well, difficult."

She laughs. "Yeah... when I'd want something, I'd just go after it, no matter what anyone else told me."

"Like 221C?" Sherlock asks, seemingly having put something together in his mind. Mrs. Hudson must've said something.

"Exactly," Lily replies. "And speaking of, I'd better head back there. I don't want to overstay my welcome."

"You're alright," John assures her. "You're welcome any time — baked goods or no baked goods."

"Thank you. Really, though, I should go. I've got some reading to do, and I'll have to make lunch soon enough. I'm sure you're busy today, anyway."

"We're hoping to be," Sherlock says, plopping exhaustedly down in his chair, "but nobody has committed any interesting crimes in ages."

"Well, I'm not going to wish for a murder, but I do hope somebody will..." she thinks "... steal something in a very creative way so that you can find and return it."

"One can only dream," he replies, sounding as if he were in moderate agony.

"Well, I'm sure you'll have your dish back by tomorrow," John says. "Thank you, Lily."

"It's no problem. I'll see you later."

"See you later."

Rosie comes around the corner, arms wide, and Lily crouches down to hug her. "Thank you," she says, and Lily smiles.

"You are very welcome," she replies. "And if Sherlock eats them all, you let me know and I'll make you more."

Rosie smiles and nods. "Okay."

Back in her apartment, Lily reads for an hour or so, then turns on the TV and tiredly watches a reality show for a bit until she gets a text from Liam.

'Found a place for the bakery yet?'

Lily frowns a little, replying, 'I haven't even looked. I've been busy settling in.'

'Well, let me know if you find anything.'

'Will do.'

They talk a bit more, particularly about Lily's meetings with the upstairs neighbors, and then, after his lunch break is over, she gets on her laptop and starts searching.

There are no vacant shops that would work in the nearby area. She'd like for the place to already have a kitchen so she won't have to have all that installed, and nothing available has that. Some places are too small, others are too big. Only a few are within her budget, which she needs to re-save, considering she spent some on renovating this flat. It's unlikely the bakery will come about any time soon, anyway, so she switches gears — feeling a sense of relief as she does so — instead researching healthy things she can bake, considering that, apparently, Sherlock isn't eating much aside from what she brings him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.7K 1.1K 15
Ivy is wandering the streets of London when she stumbles across a notice posted on a door. Is it merely coincidental that she enters the life of Sher...
26.9K 1.5K 21
Everly Sapphire is happy. She's found new friends in John Watson and the brilliant Sherlock Holmes; her dad is off the booze and she's found a job th...
36.8K 1.5K 36
Molly Hooper knows love. She's grown up with love, felt the overwhelming rush of ecstasy it provides. Felt it's crushing devastation. She's felt t...
190K 6.6K 76
Sara Knightly is a 300 year old vampire. While in London she decides to pay her old friend, John Watson, a visit. There she meets a man named Sherloc...