unconventional | Sky Flaherty

By wotisupmydoods

Evangeline Jordan's life is nothing but unconventional. But she doesn't complain. It is what it is. But what... More

P L A Y B I L L
Orlando County High School's Theatre Department
polar pops
chorus class
hey stranger
chorus class (reprise)
hey stranger (reprise)
lunch
chipotle and ferris bueller's day off
friends ¿
back at it again
the set designer and then some
thank you five
hello again
unsteady
can i PLEASE just get a WAFFLE
the tradition
a night out
fun spot
the dance circle
behind the curtian
anything goes
lets go to the beach beach
surf surf crazyyy
your daily florida weather fun
the sponsors
we raise our cups
see you later
the hamiljam
that one english teacher everyone loves
the last day
new things and new experiances
hello again (reprise)
the record
pizza and twitter
someone i have always known
day 2
the suprise
a night out (reprise)
on the way to the 11th floor
act 2
emergency room fun
sooner than later
unstuck
casual conversation
visitors
some unexpected
human again
mobile parasite
the first stop
night at the museum
home
good morning
35mm
the quiet before
the storm
the heart
reality
dreams and journals
jonathan
uno out
the wild

talks

580 19 13
By wotisupmydoods

"I don't wanna go" Ellie whined to Harley as they walked out of the same building and towards the theatre "I'm too tired"

"Didn't you take a nap earlier?" Marley asked her.

"Not today, I went to dance. And you'll never guess what happened" Ellie told her. Marley faces her and gives her a questioned look.

"no way"

"yup"

Harley's mouth was gaping open in shock.

"So I was there, doing 'Seize the Day' for Marie right?"

"Did they?"

"Sky is the only one who saw. I actually didn't even see Ben and Josh. Apparently they were all there doing a class, when he heard the music while getting more water"

"and?"

"and so I explained to him briefly why I didn't tell them, and asked to not tell the others, and he understood and agreed"

"awe"

"but wait, there's more" Ellie said like some commercial.

"there's more?"

"mhm."

"wait, did you?!"

"Yea. But it was not my idea, Marie made us. Remember 'Unsteady'?"

"deadass?!"

"yup"

"your telling me, today, you and Sky, danced to unsteady?"

Ellie laughs lightly and blushes a little "yea. and there's one more thing"

"DID YOU?!"

"no, I made a decision"

"go on"

"well, as we finished, father dearest decided to call"

"oh?"

"Yea. Turns out he's coming back tomorrow, and leaves Saturday during the day. That's when I told him that I have a show this weekend. Matthew being Matthew was all like 'oh, i thought you were focusing on school' and then I explained how I was doing both pretty well if I do say so myself"

"was Sky still there?"

"yea, at that point Marie went to the bathroom or just out somewhere, and it was just the two of us. By his expression, he didn't understand everything, but got an idea of the conversation by what I was saying. He seemed a bit concerned, like he wanted to ask me about it. But anyway, my father brought up the topic of a summer job"

"well, you usually work at the studio to pay for classes, and then there's the theatre"

"And that's what I tried telling him, but apparently, I need to get a 'real job'. So guess what"

"i'm a little scared to ask"

"that's when I told him I was interviewing for a real job. the best part is, he's on board"

"you don't mean-" Marley asked, but Ellie nodded her head "OH MY GOD ELLIE" She threw her hands around her friend and started shaking her around.

"How did you do it?!"

"I told him about the job. There's lots of travel, steady pay, puts on events, and will look good on my resume"

Marley smiles from ear to ear. "Remember me when your famous" she says.

"Hey, listen to me" she grabs her hand and squeezes it "you are my best friend. your my sister. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be on this track. I couldn't, and will never forget you. There are no amounts of words and phrases that I could string together to explain the impact you've made on my life" Ellie looks at Marley as her friend's eyes become watery.

She hugged her friend like a mother holding her child "I mean it Marls. You are literally the best and most special person I know"

"Ah, I wasn't ready for this feels trip" Marley chuckles while wiping a tear from her cheek.

"I just can't wait for the real trip. I'm gonna tell the Ivy's today."

Marley's eyes got wide "IM SO EXCITED!"

Once again, they squeezed each other in a hug, almost to the point where they lost balance.

"how do you guys have this much energy?" one of their friends in the ensemble passed them on the way to the theatre.

They just laughed and headed inside to begin the final rehearsal before opening night.

———

Ellie: hey

Sky: hey. can I call you? I'm tired from today and might fall asleep if I'm just staring at my phone

Ellie: Sure

Sky smiles as he hears her voice say hello.

Sky: are you excited for tomorrow? He walks out to the balcony of the hotel they were staying at.

Ellie: yeah. I can't believe It's my last high school performance She admits a little sadly, while laying in the middle of the floor of her house.

Sky: and then it's straight to the big leagues He smiles while remembering the conversation he observed, when Ellie stood her ground.

Ellie: Just because I decided that I'd do it, doesn't mean I'm gonna get casted

Sky: Your defiantly getting casted.

Ellie smiles to herself. Ellie: Thank you.

Sky: Can I ask you something? You don't have to tell me if you don't want too

Ellie: Well, do you care?

Sky: what?

Ellie: I'm pretty much an open book. But I only explain to people that actually care. She told him softly and truthfully.

Sky: I do care

Ellie: pinky promise? She sat up and reached for her feet, a bit sore from the day.

Sky: pinky promise He smiled, something about this girl made him feel soft.

Ellie laughs lightly but then yawns Ellie: Sorry I get a little loopy when i'm tired

Sky: It's alright He found this cute, all he wanted to do was wrap her up in his arms when they spoke.

Ellie: What would you like to know?

Sky: Why would you decline after putting yourself through the audition process?

Ellie: Heh. It ain't that simple. Do you want me to explain it all?

Sky: Sure

Ellie takes a deep breath and begins rubbing her sore legs. Ellie: Wellll, let's just say my situation isn't conventional.

Sky: how?

Ellie: It all started when the woman who gave birth to me decided to dip when I was about a month old. She said casually as though it happens every day.

Sky: I'm sorry about that, we don't have to talk about it if you don't want to.

Ellie: I don't mind. She means nothing to me, and I don't really care. It's just how it is. I don't have to talk about it if it's uncomfortable, I get it.

Sky: No it's alright. I wanna know

Ellie paused for a moment and realized how rare this was. Ellie: So yea. I'm immune to yo mamma jokes. My father on the other hand, he travels for work all the time. He comes home for a few days after a couple weeks. He's one of those people that doesn't see the performing arts as a real profession.

Sky: Yea, I kinda got that from the call

Ellie: Yea. I actually had the opportunity to preform on tour for Bring It On. Since he isn't one to pay attention, no matter how many times I tried explaining it to him, he just ignored it. Probably thinking it was some phase. That was untilllllll, I was offered to play Eva. He stopped it, and told me how 'I was wasting my time on stuff that won't prepare me for the future' and 'didn't get how the real world operates'. I got really low after that. Did shit i'm not proud of. I didn't understand how he could say that, when he wasn't even the one who raised me. Abuela Sonia raised me, she was my babysitter by the way, not actually my Abuela.

Sky: She must be an amazing woman if she raised you. How are you now?

Ellie: I'm a lot better. Something just kinda changed in me, where I went into a time of 'self discovery' I guess. I no longer wanted to waste my time on what people thought of me, and your other average teenage insecurities. I decided that I was going to work twice as hard for what I want.

She paused for a moment.

I also tried working on not letting anyone stop me from what I want in life. But I realize now... I didn't really achieve that until today.

Sky: From the call?

Ellie: yea. I um. Ellie didn't know why, but this felt different from when she usually would explain to people her situation. She was one to talk about her vulnerable topics lightheartedly. It was easier that way. People didn't often question or pity you as much, if it didn't seem serious to you.

The exception being Marley since she knew how Ellie felt about it, usually people pity you. But when you talk about it carelessly, they tend to not say anything about it. Which causes them to not feel as bad. Which makes her feel like less of a burden.

But something was different that night, how Sky treated the situation. And she let the wall of lightheartedness fall for a moment.

I don't think I'm gonna let people who don't care enough to know and listen to me, influence my life anymore. Ellie realizes this became a little more quiet, just kinda staring out into the empty house. She didn't know why she was telling this to Sky. But she liked how he listened. Especially those who care more about money than their own daughter.

Sky: I'm proud of you, and you should be too. Are you alright? Sky's stomach dropped at the fact she had to do that. The fact that she had to say that about her own father.

Ellie: thanks. I'm still getting better. She said quietly, until shaking her head and remembering who she was talking to.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get all weird about it. I don't mean to lay this all on you, I usually- She sighed and felt stupid I've been talking too much.

Sky: Hey, no it's alright. I don't mind. I'm glad you told me. There anything else you need to say?

Ellie smiles and looks down at the phone. Ellie: not tonight. you?

Sky: what about me?

Ellie: tell me about Sky Flaherty

Sky: well, what do you want to know?

Ellie: I don't know. But I'm all ears

There are two different types of people in this world. Ones who pick to read you, just scan a couple lines or chapters they like, then put you back on the self.

Then there's those who take the time to read though all the moments, sentences, paragraphs, and want to know who you are. Ellie has always been like that.

And she shifted Sky's world, wether he knew it or not. While he had been good to girls in the past, he never felt for someone like he did the one he was speaking to in the middle of the night. Their talks were like talking to someone they had always known.

As the two continued to talk that night, they shared stories. Random ones, funny events that happened, and even some deep stuff. It didn't matter what they talked about, it was clear he cared for every syllable that left her lips.

Sky: Hey Ellie?

Ellie: yeah?

Sky: It's alright if you want to sleep, I get you have a long day tomorrow. But I was just gonna ask if you wanna go to breakfast or something.

Ellie: you sure? it would be kinda early since I have to be at school at 8:45

Sky: I don't mind

Ellie: hmm. lets do it. I can always take a nap from 4th-6th period She smiles.

Sky smiled and chuckled a little Sky: alright. I'll see you tomorrow. where do you want to go?

Ellie: does waffle house at 7:30 work for you?

Sky: sounds perfect

Ellie: Goodnight Sky

Sky: Goodnight Evangeline

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 20 34
I'm disclaiming that none of the events in the story are real but they're fake this's events made up to create an engaging story for the reader, None...
16.4K 523 25
Breanna Wilson loves musical theater. When her best friend gets into Newsies, she's overjoyed. She missed him, but now he's leaving again to perform...
847 5 7
Elisabeth didn't have a good home life. Until she met him. Jeremy. After he adopted her, she got the chance of a lifetime: Starring in a Broadway Nat...
7.9K 575 52
Sequel to Looking What will happen to the girl who has been through the impossible?