The English Boy

Від iamsammyyy

Filipina-English self-proclaimed tomboy, Joe McCarthy moves to Ilkley, West Yorkshire, England and starts adj... Більше

The English Boy
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Epilogue
Lost in Yorkshire
Playlist

Chapter 21

982 23 0
Від iamsammyyy

Being Cassius' so-called "girlfriend" is not easy. I mean, Cassius is cute, sweet and above all, crazy! But, this "relationship" of ours might be going a little bit too far. This thing might be going overboard. Almost everyone at school seemed to have notice because we hold hands while walking around the campus, sometimes his arm is around me, we wait for each other after classes, we walk together on the way to our classrooms before our classes start and many more, but little do they know that Cassius and I aren't really dating, and if something, we're only doing this to make Helena realize that she's destroying something that she started. Only Chantel, Cassy, Lily, Jade, Isaiah, Matt, Stefan and Mark know that this relationship of ours is not real because they'rs the ones who planned this whole thing.

One time, Cassius picked me up from Computer Class so that we could head to Lunch together. I'm classmates with Luke. In fact, we sit beside each other in the Computer Room. We didn't talk that time though...probably because he is aware that I have a "boyfriend". Anyways, we sat beside each other and then he placed his arm around me and kissed my cheek when Helena and Luke passed by our table.

"I feel like this plan's working" Cassy said

"How can you tell?" Chantel asked

"Because they don't sit with us anymore? Is that it?" Matt asked

Cassy shrugged

"It's hard to tell what's going on between these two right now" Jade said, and we all agreed

"But here's one thing I'm sure of!" Chantel said "Obviously, Luke doesn't like Helena that way anymore. But, Helena once told me, you know, before Joe arrived here in UK, that she still has some kind of feelings left for Luke. But she knows she doesn't have that chance she had before so, all she wants to do now is forget about her feelings for Luke by making someone else fall in love with him. April's there, of course, but, you know we don't like April for Luke. And then Joe came, Helena saw how Luke is interested in her so, she hatched a plan, and I was the first one to know"

"Of course!" Jade said "I mean, remember the first few days of school? Helena tried talking to him and, all of that"

"Ohh, I do remember" Lily said "He even called her "HB". Not by the initials of her first name, but "Heart Breaker""

"Except, how do you know that?" I asked

"We know Luke more than anybody else. We can tell when he likes and dislikes someone" Matt said

"Right! Helena should forget about Luke. I mean, about her feelings, you know?! She's the one who said Joe is the perfect distraction" Cassy said

"You're not helping, Cassandra!" Lily said

"Cassius, Joe! Try harder! This is not working!" Chantel said

"When is this going to stop anyway?" I shrugged Cassius' arm off of me

"Just-" Chantel proceeded "Just go with the flow! We'll tell you when to stop!"

Meanwhile, those who do not know the truth became quite furious..

"Rumors have been circulating all over the school" Callum said

I shrugged

"What is it?" I asked

He scoffed

"Stop lying! Stop acting like you don't know!"

"I'm not lying! That's why I'm asking you! I don't know anything!"

He gave a small laugh "In fact, the rumors are about you"

"Well, what about me?" I shrugged

He raised his eyebrows and took a deep breath.

"So, you're with Cassius now, aren't you?" he asked

I scratched my head and shrugged

"Yeah" I said

There was silence between us for a couple of seconds

"Does your father know?" he asked

"It doesn't matter" I said

"Should I go and tell him then?"

"No!" I yelled

He laughed afterwards

"What's so funny!?" I said

"You have to relax! If you don't want me telling your father that you have a boyfriend, just say so"

I nodded

"Thankyou" I said

"I'm surprised you're not with Lucas" he said

The truth behind Cassius and I's relationship came back to me

"You have no idea" I said

"Unfortunately, Cassius is a little-" he made a face "you know?-"

"What?" I said

"Mentally deranged" he said, and we were both surprised when I gave him a slap across his cheek. He turned to me in fright afterwards

I shaked my head

"He's not what you think. He's just extremely enthusiastic" I said, and I started walking away

"Say everything you want about your boyfriend, Joe" he said, and I stopped walking, but I didn't turn around "but I'm just protecting you from dimples, that's all because it's possible that one day, you'll be as "extremely enthusiastic" as him"

I couldn't stand him anymore, I couldn't stand fighting with him anymore and I couldn't stand hearing these things about Cassius anymore. Cassius may not be my boyfriend, but still, he's a helping hand. I started walking away from Callum, and then I turned back to him...

"ohh and by the way? His dimples makes him cute and attractive. Meanwhile, you need a haircut because your hair's starting to look like Medusa's" yep! He totally needs a haircut.

What's gotten into Callum anyways? He's like a male version of April now.

***

"So, I heard you're dating Cassius now" Helena said to me while we were studying for Biology in the Library

"And I heard you're maneuvering Luke" I said, but I didn't look at her or anything. I just carried on with reading my Biology book and taking down notes.

"Wha-" she gave a small laugh "I'm not- I'm not maneuvering him, alright! I'm just giving him something you can't give" she said.

I closed my book and turned to her

"What is that, may I ask?" I said

"Appreciation" she said

"Just because I rejected him when he asked me out, it doesn't technically mean I don't appreciate the things he does for me. I'm just not ready to be in a relationship"

"Why are you with Cassius then?!"

"Really?! Really! Well, that's it! Fine! I'll admit it! I don't like Luke that way, But that doesn't mean I don't show him enough appreciation!" I said "I mean, c'mon! Just tell me! What do you even want me to do?! Force myself to like him back?!"

"Is that why you're with Cassius now?! Because you like him better that Luke!?"

"I'm with Cassius because I don't want him to get hurt-"

"Girls!" Mr. Morgan, the librarian, yelled from nearby. Helena and I turned to him a little bit later. He pointed at the door

"The two of you, Get out!" he said

Helena and I didn't move. We just glared at each other and then turned back to Mr. Morgan

"Parks! McCarthy! Didn't you hear what I said!? Get out!" he said.

Of course, Helena and I both know we must leave. So, we grabbed our stuff and stepped out of the Library

"It's technically your fault!" I said, while walking with Helena on the hallway

"Now you're pointing your finger at me? It's just a library-"

"And I was studying!" I stopped walking and I turned to her "And you just sit with me and just talk to me about Cassius and Luke!?"

"You said the reason why you're going out with Cassius is because you don't want to hurt Luke. Well, guess what!? You're hurting him! You know why!? Because he is madly in love with you!" Helena said, and then I shrugged "What can we expect from you anyway? You're too unsophisticated to know on your own how much Luke is in love with you. And now, he's problematic because of his love for you"

"Helena, this is not a solution to his problem!" I looked at her, and she seemed confuse "You can make him happy all you want, cheer him on but I have a request for you. Stop trying to get Luke away from me"

She gave a small laugh

"What!?" she said

"It' totally obvious you want him all to yourself!" I said

"Stop!" she said "You're right! I am trying to get him away from you. But, you're wrong as well. I'm trying to get him away from you not because I want him all to myself, but because I don't want him getting hurt because of you! I mean, do yu have any idea how hurt he was when he knew that his best friend is the boyfriend of the girl he's madly in love with!?"

I shaked my head.

"Nice try! I'm not Cassius' girlfriend" I said

"Now you're trying to turn things around-"

"I swear! Nothing's going on between Cassius and I" I know I wasn't supposed to tell her YET, but I had to say it! She's getting on my nerve!

"Did I satisfy your desperation now?" I asked, and then I walked away from her

"Joe! Wait!" Helena went after me

"What? Still don't believe me?" I said

She shaked her head

"Why did you lie then?" she asked, and I didn't want to tell her, because the reason why is all about her.

I didn't know what to say at all

"I'll meet you back at our room" I said, and then walked away

***

Saturday came, and nothing really changed around here. Things are still the same.

But when I woke up this morning, I realized that I couldn't take this anymore! I can't handle this! I just can't! I turned to Helena's side of the room, where she was sleeping peacefully on her bed. Helena and I haven't been in good terms lately, and we barely talked since that day Luke got fired as prefect.

So, a little while later, I decided to go to Cassius' (and Luke's) dorm room, still in my pajamas just to ask him if we could stop this "relationship" of ours, because I couldn't handle being in a fake relationship, and everybody else think it's real...

"Hey" Cassius said as he got up on his bed when I entered the room

I looked around the room, and it seemed like Cassius was the only one there, and no one else.

"Where's-"

"Luke?" Cassius said

"Exactly" I said in a soft tone

"Gee, I don't know" he shrugged "I just got up"

"Anyways" I walked towards him and sat beside him "I came to see you"

"Why were you looking for Luke then?" he asked

"Cassius, I need you to hear me out on this, alright?" I said

He nodded

"Sure"

I sighed

"Let's stop this" I said

He seemed confused

"Stop what?" he asked

"Our relationship?" I said

"You know what, there's nothing for us to stop" he said

"What?!" I said "We're making people believe that we're in a relationship-"

"But we are not in a relationship"

"Yeah, but I want to stop this fake relationship of ours"

He didn't say anything at first. Instead, he just shaked his head

"Chantel said she'll tell us when to stop"

"Cassius, please!" I grabbed his hand and held it tight "I can't do this anymore! I know it's only been a week, but, I really can't handle this! I just- I just can't!"

"Is that what you really want?" He asked

I let go of Cassius' hand.

"I thought you like Chantel" I said

"Which is why I am loyal to her" he said

"If you really like her, why won't you just tell her?" I asked

"She already knows" he replied

"And?" I asked

"She doesn't seem interested at me at all. She just said it's better if we stay friends"

"Or maybe Chantel doesn't want to be in a relationship yet" I said

"Well, yeah" Cassius said "She had a boyfriend before"

"Do I know him?" I asked

"Probably not"

"Does he go to Grace Randolph?"

"He used to, but not anymore"

"Cassius, listen" I said to him "I can help you with your crisis with Chantel if you want, which I know you do"

"You would do that?" he asked me with a smile

"Of course" I said

"Oh! Thankyou Joe-"

"Wait!" I said "I'm not done"

Cassius' smile disappeared.

"There's a condition, isn't there?" he said

"Just please, don't use me. Not only because I don't want to be used, but because I know that using me will never work. In fact, it might just push you away from her. Don't you see it?"

He shrugged.

"See what?" he said

"If we keep doing this, then it's somehow going to leave a mark on people's heads that we're really into it and we're having fun and might just turn into something new. They might think we're starting to develop feelings for each other-"

"But we're not" he said "Besides, you like Luke and he likes you back"

"I do like him, but not like tha-"

"Just admit it, Joe!" he said "I couldn't even tell if you're just rejecting things or you really have no idea. But here's one thing I'm sure of: Luke likes you-"

Later on, the door opened. Cassius and I turned to the door and saw Luke standing beside it. I simply didn't know what to do by then. I turned to Luke, who was now staring at the floor. I stood up and headed for the door. I smirked at Luke and stepped outside.

"Joe, wait up!" Luke went after me. I didn't feel like running away because it's been a while since we interacted with each other. So, I turned to him

"What is it?" I asked

He raised an eyebrow.

"All of a sudden, you're calm?" he said

Really?! That's the way he wants it?! Fine! I don't mind!

"What do you want?!" I said

"Come here!" he said, as he grabbed my arm and started dragging me after him

"Hey! Where are you taking me!?" I asked when he was taking me downstairs

"Relax! It's not like I'm going to kidnap you or something" he was still dragging me downstairs

"Ohh no!? Well, it seems like it!" we were at the first floor and he was still dragging me somewhere. And then we were passing by the classrooms. Good thing it's a Saturday! A lot of students went home and of course, no classes today so, no one would see us.

"Luke, let go!" I started shrugging him off of me

"Fine!" he pulled me inside....the music room? And then, he pulled the Piano chair from under the piano and made me sit down.

"You know you're psychotic, right?" I said to him

"Actually-" he pulled a 12-inch long box wrapped with a purple and green wrapper behind the piano and gave it to me "I'm just what you said before. I'm full of surprises"

"So-" I turned to the gift "What's this for?"

"I never had the chance to give you a birthday present" he said

I scoffed

"I thought my trip to London was already a birthday present from you"

"Well, I realized that when you give a present to someone, that someone should never forget it...ever!"

"I'll never forget my first trip to London. Wanna know why? Because I was with you, and that's more than enough"

He smiled

"But, I'm sure you'll always treasure that one" he turned to the gift "Go on! Open it!"

Before I opened it, I shaked it. I always do that before opening a present. It's almost as if nothing is in here. I turned back to Luke

"Are you playing with me!? Nothing's in here!" I said, and then he gave a small laugh

"How are you so sure? You haven't even ripped the wrapper open yet" he said

Fine!

And, I did. I opened the present and, I was right! A 12-inch long box underneath the amazing, purple and green wrapper. I opened the box and inside were....pieces of rolled papers!? I unrolled the papers, and I saw, they were not only papers. They were music sheet for the piano, but there's no title or anything. I don't know what song this is or what.

"Well, play it for me" Luke said

"I don't even know what this song is! There's no title" I said

"Just play it. You'll see" he said

I rolled my eyes when I sat down and placed the music sheets on the rack and I started playing it...

Once I started playing the first few notes, I felt like I already knew what it was, but it sounded quite different. I keep turning to Luke everytime I thought I know the song. But a little while later, when I kept on playing, I already know what song I am currently playing.

"Why are they inside a purple and green wrapping paper?" I asked Luke

"Because purple is your favorite color, and green is my favorite color" Luke said

"A revised piano version of Libera's "Stay With Me"? You did it by yourself? Really?" I said to Luke after I finished playing the song.

"Just admit. It was brilliant!" he said

"Yeah" I turned to him "Luke, thankyou! It's really nice. And, I'm going to keep this music sheet forever"

"Please do so" he said

"Lucas! There you are!" Dorothy said when she saw Luke

"Hi" Luke said

"Hi Mrs. Taylor" I said to Dorothy, and then she turned to me

"What did you call me, Joe?" she asked

"No, mum! That's alright! I told her" Luke said

"ohh," she placed her hand on her chest "alright"

"Is there something wrong, mum?" Luke asked

"It's just that I ordered some vegetables from Mr. Barrett's farm a couple of days ago, and now, he couldn't make it because his car is broken so, do you think you can get the vegetables for me, dear?" she said

"Of course! Well, just wait in the kitchen. I'll get it for you" Luke said

"I knew I could count on you!" she said "I have to get back! I'll tell Headmaster about this, and then I'll head for the kitchen"

"I'm coming with you" I said, and he looked at me from head to toe

"In pyjamas?" he asked

***

The last time I was inside Luke's car was the night he got fired as prefect, that night we came back to Grace Randolph from London. It was a horrible night for him, I'm sure. Of course, I witnessed it, so it stinged me as well.

"So, about you and Cassius?" Luke spoke up

"There's nothing to talk about Cassius and I" I said "Just keep your eyes on the road. Do you want to kill us?"

"well," he shrugged "If that would mean we're going to die together, then it's gonna be worth it!!!"

"Hey! If I die, I'll never get to see my parents again, especially my mom, since she's on the other side of the world" I said

"If I die, I'm going to visit my father in Brazil"

"So, you're still proceeding to being selfish even if you're already dead?"

"Hey! I'm not being selfish. I just miss my dad" he said

I turned to the window

"I miss my mom" I said, and I felt his left hand on my shoulder

"About you and Cassius?" he said

"Dang it!" I turned to him "Man! You're not gonna quit, are you!?"

"I have to say, Cassius is my best friend and you, well- uhh....you're the most amazing girl I've ever met. So, seeing you two together just, it's just that," he grabbed my hand and placed it on his chest "it hurts right there"

I shooked my hand off of his.

"You are so dramatic! Cassius and I are not in a relationship. Honestly, we were only doing it to piss you and Helena off-"

"Wait, what!? Helena!?" he said

"First of all, Helena tried to set me up with you because she wanted to forget about you-"

"What?! Hey! What! so you-"

"She was supposedly your girlfriend"

"Except, How do you know all about that?" he asked

"Can we just- okay! Fine! I'm jealous of Helena" I said as I looked away from him

"That's funny. She's the one jealous of you" he said

"But, let's just cool it, okay? I don't want to fight with Helena. We haven't talked for days" I said

There was silence later on, and I just looked outside the window. Looking on the Yorkshire view made me forget about every single thing I'm worried about. I guess I just found that a release from reality.

"We're here, Joe!!!" Luke said a few minutes later, and I wiped my eyes and turned to his window, and I saw the farm view, and it was amazing! We have farms back in the Philippines, of course. In fact, my maternal grandmother owns a farm in our province in Pampanga.

"Who's farm is this?" I asked

"Mr. Vincent Barrett, Grace Randolph's vegetable man slash farmer slash owner of this farm"

Luke parked the car on the fields beside the farm. He got off his car afterwards and grabbed some kind of waterproof boots at the back seat. He went to my door and opened it for me.

"Here" he said, as he handed me the waterproof boots "it's quite muddy in there"

I turned to his feet

"What about you?" I asked

"I'm used to going here without wearing those" he said

"Well-" I placed the boots back in his car, and then I turned to him, and he seemed confused "My grandmother owns a farm"

"Luke!" someone called

"Mr. Barrett" Luke said, and Mr. Barrett gave him a hug "umm, mum asked me to pick up some vegetables that you were-"

"Here" Mr. Barrett brought out a whole bag of vegetables and handed it to Luke.

"Thankyou, Mr. Barrett" Luke said, and a little while later, Mr. Barrett turned to me

"Hello there" he said

"Hey!" I said

"Uhh, Mr. Barrett, this is Joe McCarthy. She arrived here from the Philippines 7 months ago" Luke said

"7 months ago?" he asked

"Yes" I said

"Well, I like your pyjamas" he said

"Ohh! Thanks a lot" I said

"Is she your girlfriend, Lucas?" he asked Luke

"What?! Heck, no!" I said "Nooo! No, I'm not..."

"Not what?" Mr. Barrett asked

"I'm not his girlfriend" I said

"Yet" I heard Luke whispered to himself, and then I hit his arm.

"Anyway" Mr. Barrett said as he looked as his watch "I have to get going. Nice to meet you, Joe. And Luke? Say Hi to your mother for me"

"Nice to meet you" I said

"Alright! Take care, Mr. Barrett" Luke said. And just like that, Mr. Barrett left.

So, that's it? We came from all the way to Grace Randolph for this? Well, it was clear that Luke's supposed to be here only to pick up some vegetables caused by delayed delivery, something like that, but seriously?

"You know" I went closer to Luke "Those seem heavy. I'll carry those" I took the bag of vegetables from him

"Are you sure?" he asked, and then I just laughed and ran away with the vegetables...

"Hey! Joe!" Luke ran after me, but I didn't stop. I suddenly remembered that time when I was studying in the Library when I was having trouble with the lessons at school and then he ran away with my stuff just so he could take me to his so-called "Secret Garden".

Later on, he lost me because I hid behind a tree by the nearby meadow. And then, I hid the bag of vegetables behind that tree and ran back to him.

He wasn't so far anyway. It took me less than 30 seconds to find him, and he was still looking for me. So, I swiftly ran to him and covered his eyes with both of my hands. The next thing I know, he carried me on his shoulder, and soon enough, we both started laughing...

"Hey! Put me down!" I started hitting him, but he didn't do anything. He just walked around like a fool with a girl on his shoulder.

"Idiot! Put me down" I protested and finally, he did

"Where are the vegetables?" he asked, and I just laughed

"Behind the tree" I said, and he went to the tree and retrieved the bag of vegetables.

It wasn't long enough when I popped out of the tree to surprise him and then I lost my balance, and so did he. So, we both fell down, and later on, I realized I was pinning him down.

The next thing I know, we were looking into each other's eyes. It's been a while since I stared at those green eyes of his. Or is it because it's been a while since we haven't talked to each other or what? None of us moved. We stayed in that position and I was still pinning him down. I was still looking at him, and he was still looking at me. That's when I realized I couldn't handle it if ever he ever slips away from me.

And then we pressed our lips againts each other. So, this is the third time we kissed except, this kiss is different from the others. This is a real kiss! I am not going to deny it anymore. I don't like Lucas Taylor. I love him, and it took me long enough to realize that.

And that's when it all started. That's when everything started for Luke and I.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

7.3K 674 7
What makes College, College? Getting a B minus on an essay you worked your ass for? Check. Not getting an extra shot of espresso along with your latt...
348K 11.3K 111
《Book 1》 A school where all countries could be one. A school that teach you peace and prosperity. A school that gave them the illusion of a normal li...
1.7K 36 22
Imagine a world where you and the person you've admired since childhood are to be trapped inside an invisible box. A supernatural barrier that stops...