Ikemen Sengoku: Nobunaga Oda

By jjvngoo

Romances Across Time [Disclaimer] Not my work Transcriptions from CYBIRD: Ikemen Sengoku All Right and charac... More

Nobunaga | Shot Thru The Heart
Nobunaga | Hot Spring Vacation
Prologue
Chapter 2 + His POV
Chapter 3
Chapter 4 + His POV The Spark Of Love • Premium Bonus • Her Soft Toes
Chapter 5 + His POV
Chapter 6
Chapter 7 + His POV
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Dramatic Route Chapter 11
Dramatic Route Chapter 12
Dramatic Route Chapter 13
Dramatic Route Epilogue
Romantic Route Chapter 11&12
Romantic Route Chapter 13
Romantic Route Epilogue

Chapter 1

332 4 0
By jjvngoo

I'll survive my time here and make it back to the present! Accepting my three month stay in the Sengoku period in the employ of the warlord, Nobunaga Oda, I bowed to him and his men.

Mai: "I won't let you down." But Nobunaga caught my chin and lifted it back toward him.

Nobunaga: "I plan to take very good care of you, Mai." I guess appropriate isn't in is vocabulary. And, wow, his eyes. They were ruthless and frightening. I'd never seen someone who could smile with such ferocity. There was no pleasure, no joy, in that smile.

Mai: "For the last time, don't just grab me!" The carnivorous smile vanished as I swatted his hand away. The entire room went silent. It was then I realized what I had done. I hope I didn't just cut my lifespan short!

Hideyoshi: "You! How dare you be so rude to--"

Nobunaga: "Enough, Hideyoshi." I guess I'm spared. Leaning back, Nobunaga began to laugh, his voice deep. What does he find so funny? Is it me? Because that's upsetting. I got up just to get away, sitting as far away from him as I could.

Ieyasu: "You're not interested in that waif? A stiff breeze would knock her over."

Masamune: "I'm not so sure about that, lad. She just gave Nobunaga a good shove. She's a tough one."

Mitsuhide: "Or it was the reflexive jerk of a frightened animal." Hello? I'm right here? Am I invisible to this gaggle of gossiping warlords? Or is that a murder of warlords?

Mitsunari: "Mai, it's all right. That's just the way they talk. It means nothing."

Mai: "You're probably right." Mitsunari is the only decent human being here.

Hideyoshi: "Mai, next time you dare raise a hand against Lord Nobunaga-- I will cut you down where you stand."

Mai: "Excuse me?" Hideyoshi, sitting in the spot closest to Nobunaga, looked at me with burning anger in his eyes. "What, you're going to kill me for that? Didn't you see the way he just grabbed me?"

Nobunaga: "I said enough." Nobunaga's command shot through the room. I stiffened, hearing it. But Hideyoshi looked positively abashed.

Hideyoshi: "My apologies, my lord." Hideyoshi bowed grimly, and I found myself doing the same.

Nobunaga: "Hideyoshi, show this woman around the castle."

Hideyoshi: "My lord?"

Mai: "You want him to do it?"

Nobunaga: "I have decided that Mai will be staying with us. It is time you accept that, Hideyoshi."

Hideyoshi: "I understand." Though his face made it obvious he had more colorful words in mind. "Come along, Mai. I'll show you the ropes."

Mai: "As long as it's not the gallows." Why did it have to be him? Hideyoshi walked out of the audience chamber and I followed after him.

Hideyoshi: "I still don't trust you. And if you try anything with Lord Nobunaga, it will be the last thing you do."

Mai: "He's the one trying things!"

Hideyoshi: "What was that?"

Mai: "I mean, yes, you're right."

I could already tell life here was going to be frustrating. Hideyoshi's attitude is grating, but I can't fault his loyalty. When I thought about it, it made perfect sense that he was wary of me. A stranger shows up out of nowhere only to get close to your lord. In the Sengoku period, you'd be crazy not to get suspicious. I had three months here. I wouldn't last if I kept butting heads with everyone.

Hideyoshi: "... turn there and you'll find the cellar. There's the kitchen. Were you listening to any of that?"

Mai: "Sorry, no. I was thinking."

Hideyoshi: "All right. I'll go over it again then."

Huh? To my surprise, Hideyoshi very politely talked me through the layout of the castle again. He's taking this seriously, even with his doubts about me. I still don't understand the fan club, but he does seem to have some good traits.

This time I listened very closely to what he had to say. We continued walking down long wooden corridors. He didn't mention anything about this one. I stopped at the turn to a long hallway.

Mai: "Where does this lead?" A dim passage had caught my attention. Hideyoshi came to a stop next to me.

Hideyoshi: "That path will take you to the tenshu."

Mai: "The tenshu? What is that exactly?"

Hideyoshi: "It means 'master of heaven.' You saw it when we arrived. It's that loft at the top of the castle. Normally, it would be a symbol while the lord stays in the inner citadel, but that's not the case here."

Mai: "Are you saying Nobunaga lives up there?"

Hideyoshi: "Yes." Figures he's got the penthouse suite. I turned, no longer interested in what lay beyond that uninviting hallway. "Lord Nobunaga said that he preferred to stay in the tenshu. That is just one of the ways in which he and Azuchi Castle are unique. Anyway, now that you know, I don't want to catch you wandering over here."

Mai: "Trust me, I'll be keeping my distance." The idea of going to see that ogre of my own volition was preposterous. Further down the walkway, there was a group of men walking and talking.

Vassal 1: "Our Lord has made it back safely."

Vassal 2: "I heard there was an assassination attempt. Poor fools."

Vassal 3: "Indeed! Trying to kill Lord Nobunaga just makes him angry. Well, they won't live long to regret it." The men, their words a mix of respect and fear, drifted out of earshot again.

Hideyoshi: "Everyone is relieved to have our lord back, but I won't rest until we catch the ones responsible."

I couldn't share in either the men's relief or Hideyoshi's unease. My thoughts were elsewhere. "They won't live long to regret it." If there was one thing I remembered about Nobunaga Oda from school, it was this well-known phrase: "What does Nobunaga do to the bird that won't sing? He kills it." Yeah, I'm going to stay as far away from him as possible.

Hideyoshi: "You've gotten awfully quiet."

Mai: "It's nothing for you to worry about. I'm not plotting."

Vassal 4: "Lord Hideyoshi!"

Hideyoshi: "Yes?" That man looks like he just saw a ghost. Breathing hard, another vassal came running up to Hideyoshi.

Vassal 4: "I have a report from our scouts in the east! One of the regional daimyos has decided to revolt against our lord!"

Hideyoshi: "A revolt!" Hideyoshi grew grim. "Mai, we're going back. We must get this message to Lord Nobunaga."

Mai: "Wait, we? I'm coming too?" Without answering me, Hideyoshi led me right back to the audience chamber.

Nobunaga: "A revolt? They don't intend to let me rest now that I'm back, do they?"

Nobunaga took the news with a strange satisfaction. The report from the vassal said that a recently subjugated daimyo had heard about Nobunaga's near-death experience at Honno-ji. Thinking Nobunaga was weakened, the man saw this as an opportunity for revenge and was raising his army. Revolt, revenge, and possibly war. How can he be smiling? I had only grasped the gist of the report, and yet I was sweating with fear.

Mitsuhide: "What is your plan, my lord?"

Nobunaga: "I'm considering."

Hideyoshi: "I volunteer to go. I'll give them a stern lesson about knowing their place."

Masamune: "No, give it to me. I missed my chance for a good rumble back in Kyoto and I'm itching for action." After a moment, Nobunaga stood up.

Nobunaga: "I shall go." Surprise crossed Hideyoshi's face, and a little disappointment crossed Masamune's.

Ieyasu: "Why are you going?" Everyone seems surprised. I can see why I think. In the historical dramas, it's the leader's job to guide from afar. He never takes to the front lines.

Mitsunari: "My lord, this is hardly a worthy opponent for you to go out and face. He commands a small force of no more than 2,000 men." Mitsunari's beautiful face was all business now.

Nobunaga: "Then I'll only need 500."

Ieyasu: "500? That's too risky." Seriously. Nobunaga could probably rally ten times that amount. Why is he putting himself at a disadvantage? Nobunaga's cold eyes gave away nothing. But he caught me staring at him and turned my way.

Nobunaga: "Mai, you will come too."

Mai: "To the battle?"

Hideyoshi: "My lord, I'm not sure that's wise--"

Nobunaga: "I've made my decision. Here's your chance to bring me luck again, Mai."

Oh, right, because I'm his-- The memory flashed in my mind:

*-*-*

Nobunaga: "Your only duty is to stay nearby. That is what I need of you."

Nobunaga: "You will be my lucky charm as I unify this nation and all that lies beyond."

*-*-*

Mai: "You seriously believe I'm going to bring you luck? Against swords and arrows and who knows what else?"

Nobunaga: "Yes. I only speak the truth. And what I say is final. Now prepare yourself. I want my men ready before sunset. That's when we march." What? No! This is insane!

Mai: "No. I'm not doing this and I'm not going with you." I spoke with all the force I could muster.

Nobunaga: "The decision is mine. What you think about it is meaningless to me." Nobunaga strode past me toward the doors of the chamber.

Hideyoshi: "And he'd just returned, too. What bad timing."

Mitsuhide: "Don't take it too hard, Hideyoshi. It's good of him to go out."

Ieyasu: "Hey, Mai, was it? He gave you your orders. Are you just going to stand there?"

Mai: "But he's talking about war. I don't--"

Ieyasu: "You need to get one thing straight." Ieyasu let out an exasperated sigh. "Nobunaga's orders are absolute. That goes double for pushovers like you."

Hideyoshi: "This will be more like a skirmish than a war. Being able to observe is a rare opportunity."

Mai: "Oh, tomato, tomahto! Whatever you call it, it's not a picnic and I'm not going!"

Hideyoshi: "Stop fussing and come on!"

Mai: "Hideyoshi, quit it. You can't make me--" Hideyoshi grabbed my hand and dragged me out of the audience chamber.

Mitsunari: "Mai, I'll give you any assistance you need with the preparations!"

Mitsuhide: "Do try to stay on your horse, Mai. Falling off can be very painful." No no no no!

----------
It was only my second day since arriving in the past.

...And I spent it witnessing a real live battle.

I want to go home! I want to be in my warm, safe bed where I can pretend that this is all a dream and that I'm not in a WAR!

I found an empty corner of the war camp where I hugged my knees to my chest and pretended this wasn't happening. But the incessant noise made it impossible to ignore the reality of the situation. Tromping horses, men screaming, swords clashing, and guns going off.

Nobunaga: "What are you huddled there for, Mai?"

Mai: "Just leave me alone." Nobunaga, sitting on a cloth folding chair at the center of the camp, looked over at me, intrigued.

Nobunaga: "I'm amazed the woman who dragged me from that burning temple cowers at this.

Everything about that situation was different. I didn't even know where I was, or who you were. I thought back to that night:

*-*-*

Nobunaga: "Who are you?"

Mai: "No time for introductions. Come on, let's get you out of here!" There's a building on fire and a man that was about to be killed and I would like to get out of here now! "Take my hand!"

Nobunaga: "..."

*-*-*

Mai: "I acted without thinking. Now I really wish I had." I was amazed I'd interrupted a man with a sword about to kill someone, but that was beginning to feel normal compared to this. "Anyway, you seem to be enjoying yourself."

Nobunaga: "You'd really ask me that?" He let out a snide laugh like my comment was somehow hilarious. Just then a vassal rushed into the tent, beaming in triumph, to kneel before Nobunaga.

Vassal 1: "A report! We've breached the tiger's mouth! The vanguard's spearmen are in." The what did what? This is why I sucked at Civilization.

Nobunaga: "Continue pressing the assault. Break through the second circle and fire the castle."

Vassal 1: "Yes, my lord!"

I could see historical military jargon was going to be a challenge. I think I can parse this though. Nobunaga's forces have gotten past one layer of the castle's defenses, right? If he's telling them to keep attacking, I assume that means he's winning.

More reports come from the frontlines of battle in rapid succession, and Nobunaga sent out orders just as quickly. He did it all without losing his cool. We came here with fewer troops, and yet Nobunaga hasn't once looked worried. I'm beginning to see what made him so worthy of study in history. While I was admiring him, strictly as a historical figure, another vassal arrived with a report.

Vassal 2: "My lord, the enemy commander has sallied out!" He's come out to fight?

Nobunaga: "He's come to risk his life in battle, rather than hole up and wait to die. I admire his courage." Nobunaga rose from his chair, his hand resting on his sword. "I'll put an end to him personally."

Mai: "You're going out there too?"

Nobunaga: "What else would I be doing? You must be growing bored just sitting there. You'll come as well. I want you to see this."

Mai: "I'm actually quite comfy here, so I think I'll pass--"

Nobunaga: "See that she's put in her saddle."

Vassal 2: "Yes, my lord!" Oh, listen to me, will you!

My insistence fell on deaf ears as I was led out of camp and put astride a horse. At Nobunaga's side, I rode onto the battlefield, where I received an eyeful of the horrors of war. Ugh, this is awful.

Through the guards protecting me, I could see men fighting with swords and spears. Each scream, groan, and shout shook me. A pungent, burnt smell pervaded the air. I don't want to be in this nightmare anymore! On top of that, I was slipping to the side a little more with each thud of my horse's hooves hitting the dirt.

Mai: "Aaah!" Nobunaga cast a quick look back when I screamed, but he didn't turn around. I came tumbling out of the saddle and fell to the ground, landing on the dirt. Ow. It really does hurt. Why is this happening to me? I did my best to make myself small, afraid of the horses still running by.

Enemy Commander: "Archers, aim for Nobunaga! Fire!"

A chorus of whirling wails filled the air as the enemy launched a volley of burning arrows. They were supposed to have been aiming for Nobunaga, but the arrows seemed to all be heading my way. Oh, gd!

Those fiery lights came closer and closer. I couldn't scream for help. I couldn't see a safe place to move to. I'm going to die...! An arrow was hurtling right down on me. And then I saw it split into two and fall harmless to either side. What just happened?

Nobunaga: "What worthless archers to have mistaken me for this woman." Nobunaga saved my life? Nobunaga, astride his horse, covered me from the enemy's sight. He looked down at me. I shakily got to my feet and looked up at him. With his sword drawn, Nobunaga's face cut a striking profile, illuminated by the light of the fires. "Are you hurt?"

Mai: "I'm fine, I think. They came awfully close though."

Nobunaga: "Good. I won't let my enemies take my lucky charm so easily. You're mine to protect and to keep." With a laugh, Nobunaga turned back toward his opponents. "I'm the one you're facing. You won't make that mistake twice." Nobunaga's voice echoed across the battlefield. I could see it had an effect on his enemies. He's formidable all right. "Stay there and don't move. But don't close your eyes."

Mai: "Like I'm going to go anywhere. But you can't make me watch."

Nobunaga: "You never hold your tongue, do you? I enjoy that, but you will watch. When standing on the battlefield, you need to see what's happening with your own eyes. It will be over soon. Wait for me, Mai."

Mai: "All right! Just hurry up!" His cocky smile made my heart pound uncomfortably. I warned my heart not to get any ideas.

Nobunaga took his horse and charged like an arrow toward the enemy. There he goes. It was a strangely stirring sight. Perhaps it was my near-death experience, but I was actually glad to have Nobunaga watching out for me. No, no. I can't be thinking that. Not about bird-killer Nobunaga.

Vassal: "My lady, forgive me!" The anguished plea came from the vassal who had helped me onto my horse earlier. He had led my steed back to me and helped me on again, mumbling apologies all the while. "I exposed a noble princess like yourself to mortal peril. I could never--"

Mai: "A princess? I'm just the chatelaine."

Vassal: "Lord Nobunaga informed us that the new chatelaine was a treasured princess of the Oda bloodline."

Oh, right, I remember now.

*-*-*

Nobunaga: "Yes. And don't fear. You shall be known as a princess from afar and will be treated as such. Spend your days on makeup, or cards and games if it suits you."

*-*-*

He really did tell everyone. That news travelled fast.

Vassal: "I have no excuse for my actions. As soon as we return to the castle, I intend to repent with my life." The man looked utterly serious.

I shouted at him, "No, no, no! Don't do that! I fell off the horse. It's my fault. Please don't die for my sake." I feel really bad for the guy. He thinks he harmed a princess, but I'm just an ex-desk jockey. "Instead, you could continue to help me out until this battle is over. How does that sound?" I gave him a little smile, hoping he wouldn't throw himself on his sword here and now.

Vassal: "There has never been a princess as compassionate as you! My life is in your debt!"

Mai: "Can't we be more like co-workers? Two people trying to survive a battle?" The Sengoku has two speeds: rude and melodramatic.

Vassal: "Look, Princess! The battle is almost at its end."

Mai: "Hmm?" I followed the happy man's gaze toward the front lines. It does look different.

The tide of battle was now completely in Nobunaga's favor. With overwhelming force, his men had toppled an army over twice their number. At the front of the victorious tide was Nobunaga. Is he smiling?

Nobunaga cut through his enemies, blade slick and red. Eyes flat and empty, the blood of the men he'd killed splattered on his face, he smiled. Who in the world could find anything to smile at here? My relief at being able to leave fled as the horror of the situation came back to me.

Enemy Soldier 1: "We can't win. Flee! Run for your lives!"

Nobunaga: "Turning your back to run. Are you a warrior or not?"

Enemy Soldier 1: "Ghah!"

Enemy Soldier 2: "I surrender! Please, don't kill me!"

Nobunaga: "What's that you're asking for?" I heard the distant cries of men facing Nobunaga.

Enemy Soldiers: "A monster! You're inhuman!" They're talking about Nobunaga--

The enemy commander, his army routed, was guided out on horseback and brought before Nobunaga. He looked like a shattered man who hadn't anticipated this end to his ploy.

Nobunaga: "This was all you had? I didn't need to come out here personally after all." Even faced with his cowering foe, Nobunaga still seemed pleased. "You knew what the price would be for betraying me."

Enemy Commander: "I submit to you. And I beg for your forgiveness!" The commander got off his horse, groveling in the dirt before Nobunaga. "I surrender my land, my castle, and all my vassals to you. You can take anything, just spare my life!"

Nobunaga: "You lost to numbers less than half of yours. How is your life worth sparing?"

Enemy Commander: "What did you say--" The man stood, riled by Nobunaga's chiding. He drew his sword. Don't do it! You'll be killed! "Uagh!" Nobunaga easily saw the clumsy blow and sent the enemy commander's sword flying.

Nobunaga: "A useless attempt." This is not going to end well. Nobunaga delivered a quick blow to the man's body. He slumped to the ground.

Enemy Commander: "Curse you--"

Nobunaga: "You should be cursing yourself for thinking you stood a chance. This is the end for you. And for those who foolishly followed you as well." Nobunaga's not going to kill all of them, is he?!

The battlefield was quiet now. Allies and enemies alike put down their weapons and listened gravely as Nobunaga declared the fates of the losers. They've already given up the fight. He can't really kill them all, can he?

Nobunaga: "Pull everyone out of the castle. When you're done, set it aflame."

Vassals: "Yes, my lord!"

The enemy soldiers that were still standing were rounded up by Nobunaga's troops, bound, and led away. Off in the distance, the small castle roared like a bonfire. It's like he's removing any trace of them. Why is he going this far? Despite the large fire, I felt cold inside.

Numbed by what I'd seen, I rode with the army back to Azuchi in a daze. I hadn't spoken to Nobunaga at all along the way. I didn't speak to anyone. I just walked, trance-like, back to my room.

Hideyoshi: "I see you're back." Just the person I didn't want to see. Hideyoshi had been waiting for me. I couldn't muster anything but apathy for him right now. I sat down on the floor, ignoring him. "Mai? What is it?" Hideyoshi crouched down beside me and put a large hand on my back. "Get a hold of yourself. Do you need a hand?"

Mai: "No. No, I'm fine. I'm just so tired." The cries of the men who called Nobunaga a monster were ringing in my ears.

Even the previous memory of Nobunaga at the camp tormented me:

*-*-*

Nobunaga: "I'm amazed the woman who dragged me from that burning temple cowers at this."

Mai: "I acted without thinking. Now I really wish I had. Anyway, you seem to be enjoying yourself."

Nobunaga: "You'd really ask me that?"

*-*-*

I knew now why he thought what I'd said was funny. He didn't find war frightening. He doesn't think anything about taking another person's life.

Hideyoshi: "Talk to me. Was your first battle that rough? Did something happen to you out there?"

Mai: "It's hard to explain. I mean, I was shot at, but Nobunaga protected me."

Hideyoshi: "I see."

I was honestly impressed when he did. I thought for just a second that he was gallant. Respectable. But-- I couldn't help myself recalling it all over again:

*-*-*

Nobunaga: "Are you hurt?"

Mai: "I'm fine, I think. They came awfully close though."

Nobunaga: "Good I won't let my enemies take my lucky charm so easily."

*-*-*

He didn't do that because doing good things give him a warm, fuzzy feeling. He was protecting his "good luck charm." I wished I could time travel again, just far back enough to slap some sense into the me that thought he looked gallant.

Hideyoshi: "Then I don't see what the problem is. Your first battle was a success and Lord Nobunaga himself came to your aid."

Those things are technically correct, yes. But...

*-*-*

Nobunaga: "You should be cursing yourself for thinking you stood a chance. This is the end for you. And for those who foolishly followed you as well."

*-*-*

Remembering his ruthless decree gave me goosebumps.

Mai: "Is Nobunaga really going to kill all those people?"

Hideyoshi: "Kill? Lord Nobunaga would never do something so wasteful." Huh? But that's not what I heard. "The traitor will be stripped of his land, which will be put under the control of a new daimyo. The wounded will be treated and returned with the rest to work the land as farmers and peasants once more. They won't be allowed to become samurai or warriors again, though."

What? Then all that was me misinterpreting him? I was relieved for those people, but Nobunaga still bothered me. When I thought of the way he'd struck down his foes, I could only agree with the soldier who'd called him a monster. And he burned that castle to the ground.

Mai: "So, what about burning the castle? You're telling me that's not wasteful?"

Hideyoshi: "There's a point to everything Lord Nobunaga does." When his smug declaration didn't have the expected effect on me, Hideyoshi shrugged. "All right. Why do you think he went out personally to quash the revolt, taking only a small force with him?"

Mai: "I have no idea."

Hideyoshi: "I thought you didn't. That's why I want to help you understand."

Mai: "And is that why you were waiting here for me?"

Hideyoshi: "Look, I don't approve of you, but you are a member of the Oda forces now. It's important that you understand why our lord does things the way he does." Hideyoshi came around and took a seat next to me. "That rumor about Nobunaga being near death after the attack at Honno-ji? It's already spreading. There will be others who hear it and think the time is ripe for a revolt. Only by definitively crushing this revolt can Nobunaga prevent others from rising against him."

Mai: "It's a show of force?"

Hideyoshi: "Yes. A warning to the fair-weather allies of Lord Nobunaga. And a way to show everyone that he won't be stopped by some assassination attempt. By taking a smaller force, he showed that quality is more important than quantity." Nobunaga really did have a reason behind all his actions. "So you see, the battle would have been for nothing if he went easy on them in the end. Now that you know, it's time to go say your thanks to Lord Nobunaga."

Mai: "What? Why?"

Hideyoshi: "Because he saved your life, remember?" He has a point.

Mai: "But Hideyoshi, you need to remember he put me in mortal peril in the first place."

Hideyoshi: "Nope. I won't hear any arguments. Get going." Oh, come on, Hideyoshi! I don't want to go! He pulled me to my feet and ushered me out of my room. I quickly found myself confronted by the hallway leading to Nobunaga's chamber. "Don't keep him too long. Just say your thanks and let him get his rest."

Mai: "Are you sure I have to?"

Hideyoshi: "Mai." Hideyoshi's expression said, "Don't make me scold you." "He saved your life. Tell him you're grateful." But it's Nobunaga Oda. Then Hideyoshi left. As much as I wanted to, I knew I shouldn't follow after him.

Hideyoshi is right. Nobunaga is forceful and frightening and demanding. Even after saving my life, he acted like I was a thing. But I would have died if he didn't step in. That sent a chill down my spine. This will be simple. I'll open the door, say thanks, and get out of there. Good plan.

I walked down the miserably dark hallway and climbed the stairs leading to the tenshu. The doors to the balcony were wide open and moonlight poured inside. Coming from the darkness, the light was disorienting.

Mai: "Excuse me? Nobunaga? Are you still up?" Hoping he was asleep, I kept my voice low. That is a gorgeous view! And thankfully, it looks like Nobunaga's away. Okay, Hideyoshi. I tried, but he's not here. Guess I'll just have to thank him some other time. Happy to have an excuse, I turned to go.

Nobunaga: "Mai? Is that you?" Ugh. I froze mid-step. Looking around, I found Nobunaga sitting on the balcony, gazing out into the night. He was still wearing his armor. I spotted a cup in his hand. "Why are you standing there? Come closer."

Mai: "All right." Leaving now would just make this harder on me later. I approached Nobunaga, who was leaning against the railing as he gazed outside. I took a breath and began to say all at once, "I'm sorry for interrupting you, but I wanted to say th--"

Nobunaga: "I don't care why you're here." Gd, doesn't he ever listen to people! Nobunaga stood up and placed a thin, saucer-like cup on the railing. He came close, leaning so we were eye to eye. The moon traced the outline of his figure, creating a hauntingly stunning visual. "I was unable to sleep. You arrived at just the right time. You will warm my bed."

Mai: "I'm sorry, but you're not making any sense."

Nobunaga: "What's so confusing? I'm asking you to be my partner tonight." He wants me to SLEEP WITH HIM? I looked astounded and affronted.

Mai: "There's no way I'm doing that!"

Nobunaga: "Why? Is there a problem?" The hint of tenderness in his low voice would have been attractive in a different situation.

Mai: "Yes, there is a problem! I barely know you!"

Nobunaga: "That is true. But you and I are here together now. That's reason enough." It may be for you, but I like to know more about my partners than: "Hobbies: quashing revolts and burning down castles."

It was strange. The man I'd seen in battle really looked like a monster who thought nothing of killing. but the man questioning my reasonable refusal with amused curiosity was different. He made me feel confused.

Mai: "Anyway, the answer is no. Not tonight. Not tomorrow night. Not the day after."

Nobunaga: "The day after that then?"

Mai: "Still no. And just so you know? The day after that and every other day between now and forever? My answer will still be no!" He was playing with me and aggravating as it was, I was taking his bait. Nobunaga's lips curled into a smile.

Nobunaga: "Well, well. I've acquired a most outspoken woman." Hey, what is he doing? I felt his hand on my shoulder. Nobunaga was before me. Behind me was a wall. With an almost magnetic touch, Nobunaga caught my chin in his other hand. "Why don't you let me have a drink from your lips, instead of all this inane complaining?"

I wasn't processing whatever nonsense he was saying. I was drawn in by his eyes, dark vast caves, daring me to go exploring. With his thumb, he traced the contour of my lips. I was entranced. Nobunaga's touch was strangely light. But more surprising than the lightness of his touch was how I felt about it. It feels good. But why? This situation is utterly crazy!

I felt a tightening in my tummy. It was like he had cast a spell on me.

Mai: "Wait--"

Nobunaga: "Cups aren't supposed to speak. Now, quietly let me drink."

Nobunaga reached behind him to pick his cup up off the railing. He placed it against my lips, which opened of their own accord. Oh, man. Is this really happening? He tipped the cup. A few sweet drops coated my tongue, which shivered from the numb fire of the alcohol. This feels right and wrong all at once. I want... What I want is--

Nobunaga: "You're finally quiet." Something flared up deep inside me. Nobunaga drew closer, his cold eyes focused on me--

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...