Twisties

By Wikitiki16

Twins Tara and Tatiana Wynne are living in the infamous Southern Gardens. Despite being rampant with poverty... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 14

3 1 0
By Wikitiki16

Chapter 14

Tatiana

I was back to my regularly scheduled program. No crazy parties, no cops, and no more fishnet stockings. While I was in the kitchen pouring myself some orange juice, Tara walked in, sweaty from her jog. Grandpa thought it was the stupidest thing ever, claiming she would catch a bullet between her ass cheeks if she continued doing that around this type of neighborhood.

"Hi babies," said Grandpa who had walked into the kitchen with the mail.

"Hi," we said. Tara opened a cabinet, looking for a cup. I leaned against the counter, sipping my drink. We briefly looked at each other, our faces each saying something different about last night's party. I knew I would be hearing about it soon in extreme detail.

Grandpa flipped through the mail but dropped all the rest once he saw a bright yellow envelope with flowers printed on the front. "Y'all look. It's a letter from your mother."

Tara immediately sighed dramatically and rolled her eyes before opening the fridge. Grandpa ignored her and read the letter out loud.

"Dear Dad, thank you for the new sketching paper. I just keep going through it. How is everything? Probably not much has happened. The girl's birthday is next week, what kind of cake are you making this year? Have oxtails on the menu. You know whose favorite that is. Remember the pictures please. I want hundreds. Make Tatiana smile too. I've started a new project, but it's a serious one. When it's done, come see it. Call me anytime. With love, Darlene."

Tara slammed the fridge. "Why doesn't she just call you in the first place? Phones do exist."

"Well Miss Mouth, I told her to write. That way y'all can read the letters anytime," said Grandpa.

Tara shrugged. "Not interested." She left to go upstairs, juice still in hand. Honestly, I was with her on this one. The letter was weird. For someone that hasn't seen us for years, it was strange when she said things like "you know whose favorite that is." It was as if she knew us. That didn't make sense to me.

I left the kitchen too and headed upstairs, knowing Tara was probably dying to tell me what happened last night. She pulled me into her room once I got to the top.

"Omg, omg, omg!" She bounced up and down, like she had to pee or something.

"What is it?" Maybe I was a little curious.

"I'm in love!" She lifted her arms up high and twirled.

"Okay..." I said unsure of what to say. "Don't you already have that guy? Deon?" Not that I was supporting that messed up relationship, but I didn't want her to end up in a body bag over some love triangle.

She sipped her drink innocently. "Deon who?"

I shook my head. "You're crazy. What happened last night?"

She told me all about this Jawani character and her adventure with invading the cops. I wasn't sure which of ours was more "exciting". Most of her version of the story was about how gorgeous this guy was though.

"I want to marry him Tati," she said dreamily.

I rolled my eyes. Look at her, already jumping the gun. "You do realize you would be sister-in-laws with Hana?"

She snapped out of her fantasies once I said that, a nasty, but thoughtful look on her face. "If that's the way it's gonna be, then I'll just have to deal."

Whoa. How mature of my sister! If you can still be with a guy after you knocked his sister in the face, then maybe he was worth it.

🌸

Sundays were always slow at the flower shop. Ms. Jenkins was relaxing at home after church, and I always volunteered to go in so I could take care of anything she shouldn't do. The lady was old, and I'd hate it if she hurt herself trying to lift or move something.

First, I did inventory in the back, checking to see if we had to order any flowers or materials for the week. Since the shop was small, I was able to wrap that task up in an hour. I also did a little cleaning too, making sure there weren't any boxes or loose items lying around. After I got done, I went over to the computer to see if we received any orders. To my disappointment, there was only one, but I did see an email notifying me that the aloe vera plants I ordered a few weeks ago were coming our way soon. I was so excited about them, believing that they were going to be a good investment. I knew there were people like Tara who liked to create homemade products with it.

Deciding to work on the arrangement now, I printed out the information. The customer wanted a bouquet with twelve white roses and six dendrobium orchids, which I thought were very beautiful but pricey. The orchids were fairly new to the shop though, so it was great to know they were already selling. It meant that customers were seeing our content on the website.

I hummed as I worked, completely zoned out and satisfied. The last thing to do was type up the message card. I really got a kick out of reading them. Once there was one that said, 'sorry for puking on you'.

I picked up the printed paper and started typing. 'To the ends of the Earth I would go, from the deepest pit I would rise and from the highest skies I would fall, just to touch your butt.'

I laughed so fucking hard. I wasn't expecting that at all. This one didn't disappoint. I continued. 'I'm sorry for being an asshole. Call me, Tatiana.'

I paused, puzzled. These flowers couldn't be for me, right? It had to be a coincidence. I picked up the paper again before gasping. The customer was Les! Now that I think about it, I do remember going on about ordering the orchids and how excited I was to see them in person for the first time ever.

I smiled to myself before chuckling. He made me make my own bouquet.

Well, that was that. He was immediately forgiven! The best gifts are the unexpected ones and I was surely over the moon. I hugged the bouquet to my chest and took a huge whiff, burying my nose in the flowers.

When I felt my phone buzz, I got excited, thinking it was Les. Carefully, I set my beautiful flowers down before reaching for my pocket.

"Oh," I said, annoyed. It was Atrael. How the hell did he have my number?

'I heard someone's having a party. Expect my great self to be attending. The food better not be trash. This is Atrael, in case you couldn't tell.'

Oh, I could tell alright. Atrael was second to Tara in being narcissistic.

I quickly wrote back. 'No'. Sighing, I put my phone away, deciding I would call Les later. For the rest of the afternoon, I walked around the shop with a grin on my face.

🌸

Tara

I was hoping I would get some good news today. It was Monday and I was having what may or may not be my last after school session with Mr. Ully. He was looking over the work I turned in with a sharp eye. I know if he found a bunch of mistakes, he would make me redo the assignments. I just wanted to be done with everything.

Finally, he looked up at me, face completely unreadable. I didn't like that. "Tara." His face broke into a smile. "You did a great job."

I nearly cried tears of joy! I was free, finally free! My poor asshole was puckered the entire time from the suspense.

"Does this mean I can go now? And never come back again?"

Mr. Ully sighed. "Not exactly. If I see you missing class again, we'll be right back where we started."

I shrugged. "I guess that's fair. Well, I'm gonna skip outta here then."

"Hold it," Mr. Ully stopped me. I raised an eyebrow. Now what? "I just want to say I'm proud of you and I hope you can continue doing your best."

I stared at him, surprised. I don't think I've ever heard Mr. Ully say something so nice to me before. It was hella weird. "Yeah, thank you Mr. Ully. I'm going now."

"Bye Tara, get home safe." I waved at him before walking out. Once I got outside, I had to stop myself from doing the dougie down the street. I was turnt on happiness instead of henny for once.

Now I could see Deon on the weekdays again. I wouldn't get back into the habit of skipping school though. I didn't want to see Mr. Ully's face any more than I had to.

Deciding I would treat myself, I took a walk to Mr. Campbell's Jamaican Restaurant. Let me tell you, Mr. Campbell had the best Jamaican food in Southern Gardens, hands down baby. Most of the food was gone by 4, but I'd hoped they weren't out of oxtails yet.

I went right into the shop with a huge smile on my face, the bell ringing loudly as the door shut. I was the only one there. "Mr. Campbell! Where are you? I'm hungry!" I hollered.

"Aye!" I heard the slight Jamaican accent coming from the back. "Patience! I'm an old man." He was walking up to the counter, his usual clean apron, covered with stains.

"You're not even old Mr. Campbell," I said batting my eyes.

He rolled his. "Unless you've been going to school gal, I won't give you any extra today," he waved a spoon at me.

"I have, I have!"

"Mhm, alright fine. What yah want? Oxtail?"

"Yes please."

He shook his head, mumbling. "Gal always eating up the oxtail. You got lucky today. It's been slow."

I was surprised. "You? A slow day?"

He nodded while getting the food. "Ya know, I had some people come by last week. Wearing suits. Said they wanted to buy my restaurant out."

My eyebrows raised. "What? Well you said no right?"

Mr. Campbell sucked his teeth. "Course! Said they wanted to turn my restaurant into an ice cream place. Ya know, where they put all that candy on the ice cream, trying to give everybody diabetes round here ya know."

"You mean frozen yogurt Mr. Campbell?" I asked confused.

"That's soft ice cream! Yogurt don't look like that." He shook his head. "Then they gonna tell me they plan on buying up the property round here. Make them into businesses."

"What's so bad about that?" I couldn't understand why Mr. Campbell seemed uptight. I thought it would be nice to have new places in Southern Gardens. There were so many abandoned businesses in the neighborhood that could be used.

Mr. Campbell scoffed. "The stores aren't for us gal. People like us won't shop at their places. Too expensive."

I frowned. "Well, that's dumb. Won't they close without people coming in?"

Mr. Campbell shook his head slowly. "Not true. People like them will go. They'll move everybody out of here and move the new people in."

My frown deepened. I understood now and I didn't like how it sounded either. Mr. Campbell's place had been here ever since I could remember. I knew the man for a good chunk of my life too, even dared to think of him as a second grandpa. To just close businesses that have been here forever was like erasing people.

After Mr. Campbell cashed me out, I waved goodbye and took my food. As I walked down the street, I saw a bakery with a sold sign. Immediately I got depressed, thinking about what it would become. A vegan donut shop?

Just as I walked by, the door opened, almost hitting me right in the face. Man, I would've been pissed if my food dropped.

"Well, if it isn't trouble," I heard someone say.

I spun around with hearts coming out of my eyes. I knew that voice! "Jawani!" I shouted excitedly. He was wearing a navy mechanic jumpsuit and some Timbs. I saw his name stitched onto his shirt, loving the way it looked. I had to stop myself from jumping into his arms. I cleared my throat, trying to compose myself. "How are you?"

He smiled slightly, but his eyes were laughing. "I'm alright. Been in class all day and needed something quick to eat before work," he said holding up a brown paper bag.

I perked up. "School? What are you taking? Where do you work?" And how do I apply?

"I'm majoring in Automotive but doing a minor in criminal justice. And I work as a secretary at Axis Group Pharmaceuticals."

I was amazed. He was so well rounded. "Wow, you sure do a lot. How do you have time for it all?" While I admired everything he was doing, I wondered if Jawani was even human. He sounded perfect! I also remembered that Axis Group Pharmaceuticals was in Northern Gardens. Jawani had to be making bank.

He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not sure, I just do it."

I nodded. "Yeah, like Nike."

He laughed. "Yes, like that. I gotta head to work soon, okay? I'll see you around. Be good," he said, ruffling my hair.

Fuck, it was so hard to keep my heart from bursting out of my chest. "See ya!" When he turned the corner, I felt my legs give out and I collapsed on the sidewalk.

Like a drive by, Jawani shot me and left, leaving me there to melt on the sidewalk. I was completely and utterly charmed.

After convincing a sweet old lady that passed by that I was just being dramatic, I headed home.

I went upstairs to my room once I got back. I was getting ready to relax, when I noticed the little mini backpack sitting in a corner by my dresser. I kept forgetting about the drugs, but mostly I didn't want to think about them. I decided to give Deon a call.

"Hello?" he answered, sleepily.

"Hey Deon," I said chuckling. He sounded so cute when he just woke up.

"Hey Darlene, what's going on with you?"

I paused for a second. "Who the fuck is Darlene? It's Tara, asswipe."

That woke him up. "Oh baby, I'm sorry," he said rushing. "I just woke up and you sounded like one of my friends."

"Yeah, ight. Friends." Oh, I was pissed. I couldn't believe Deon might have a side chick. Like, who the hell was this bitch? She had to be gorgeous to get his attention. The thought of that hit a nerve.

"Tara, I'm dead serious. It's just my friend. I've known her for years, it ain't like that. You know I don't have the time to keep other girls."

I calm down a little after hearing his words. He was making sense. With the club, selling, his family, and me, Deon had his hands full. Logically, it was damn near impossible for him to have another girl.

I sighed, relaxing a bit. "You're right, I'm sorry. I just freaked out."

His voice was soothing. "Nah baby I get it. I would've acted the same way too. I don't like sharing."

I laughed. "I know. Well, all is forgiven."

"Better. So, what's up? Why did you call?" He asked, yawning.

I had nearly forgotten. "Oh! It's about what you gave me the other day. The party went to shit. I got into a fight and the cops came. I didn't have time to make any plays."

"Don't even worry about it. We'll get it next time."

I bit my tongue. I didn't have the courage to tell him I didn't want there to be a next time. I didn't like carrying that shit around. I felt like such a criminal. "Yeah. Well I'm gonna go now, okay?"

"Yeah, ima go back to sleep. Later, baby girl."

"Bye Deon."

I hung up and tossed the phone on the bed, myself along with it. Deciding a nap sounded pretty good, I dozed off.

🌸

Tatiana

The party must've tired me out more than I thought, because I fell asleep as soon as I got home from work yesterday. I was hoping Les wouldn't take it the wrong way and think I was still mad at him.

As soon as I got home from school, I dialed his number. He answered on the first ring.

"Tatiana!" He sounded excited.

I giggled. "Hey Les. Thank you so much for the flowers you goof."

I could hear the smile in his voice. "You're welcome baby. Listen. I am so sorry. I was just so worried that something bad would happen to you and I couldn't control myself. I shouldn't have yelled or called the cops."

"Wait what?" I said confused. "What did you do?"

He hesitated. "I... I called the cops. I told them there was a party going on filled with drugs and minors."

"Les!" I shouted through the phone.

"I'm sorry! Why, did something happen? Oh god, did you get arrested?"

I sighed. "No! But I did jump into a moving vehicle."

"You what?" He asked dumbfounded.

"Don't worry about it. It's in the past." It was literally 2 days ago, but I wasn't going to dwell on that. "I just called to say I really appreciate the flowers. They're beautiful!"

"I'm glad. I remember you showing me pictures and saying you wanted some to take home. See? I do listen to you."

I laughed. "Yeah, I guess." Suddenly, I remembered I had something else I had to tell Les. "Hey, about my birthday."

"No, I haven't forgotten it. What kind of boyfriend do you think I am?" He asked jokingly.

"Dumbass, I wasn't going to say that." I sighed. "So, my Grandpa is making us have a birthday dinner at our house. I wondered if you would come."

"Oh," he said, sounding surprised. "You said at your place, right? What time?"

"Some time in the evening, maybe at seven. It won't be long though. It'll be dinner, presents, and then everyone goes home."

"That doesn't sound bad. Yeah, I'll go."

I grinned, feeling happy. "Awesome! It's this weekend. I'll see you then. I'm going to go now though. I got a date with my textbook tonight."

He chuckled. "Alright, tell them to keep their hands to themselves."

I giggled. "Dork. I hung up with a smile. With Les at my party, I might actually have fun. I went over to the window where my flowers were now sitting and took a whiff. I was completely in love with them. I sighed, feeling content. I had such an awesome boyfriend.

🌸 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 67 9
Tara Levine, was once an angelic girl until their parents split up due to her father being sent to a country to fight for our country when her mother...
43K 3.9K 24
Meet Gwen Turner. Recently, she turned 40. She and her friends are the worst bowlers at their ladies-only wine and bowling league. She's content with...
273K 6.6K 21
Emma and Vivian spend their summer at a new camp to help out a friend, only to discover that it's a dating camp and they both have to pretend to be s...
144 66 18
The human race had ended long ago. Though there were still a few, they were more or less endangered species because of the new breeds of predators ro...