Love & Loss

By cannoness

ATTENTION: This is the SECOND book of my Vampire's Pet series and cannot be read as a stand alone book. ~~~ ... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
What's to Come
Update
Physical Copies!!

Chapter 67

124K 6.7K 2.4K
By cannoness

Nico's POV:

Something didn't sit right with me as I headed towards my fathers throne room.

Granted, something hadn't been sitting right with me for a couple weeks now, but this one felt different.

I wanted to think it was because I had no idea what he wanted from me this time, and I didn't want to get my hopes up.

I hoped that maybe my mother had spoken to him, and talked him into easing up on what he was putting on me.

That would at least give me a good place to start once Khloe was out of this situation and safe somewhere else.

Still, a part of me knew how slow my father was to dropping his intentions and ego most of the time.

At the very least, I just didn't want this to go the same as our last conversation did.

I didn't want to return to Khloe angry.

He knew almost everything that I tried to keep from him, and I think that's what was keeping my anxiety.

I could probably lie my way out if I had to, but with Khloe's departure being so soon, I hoped I wouldn't have to do that for a while.

I tuned into my senses as I approached the guarded doors, trying to get a quick read on who I was about to appear before.

I didn't realize I was hoping for my mother until disappointment caught me at the lack of her scent.

Who I did catch was my father, and two vampiric guards on the other side of the door.

I looked over each of the guards that were already on my side of it, noticing them stiffen at my gaze.

No human slaves. No scribe to keep this conversation in our records. Just my father and some guards.

My eyes narrowed.

I didn't like this.

I could leave. I could just turn around and walk away.

God how badly I wanted to, but we were so close to getting Khloe safe.

Any added suspicion from my father at this point felt like it would just come back to bite me later.

So I took a second to get myself in check before going in.

The last thing I needed was him sensing my nervousness.

Swallowing my expectations and a bit of my pride, I pushed the doors open.

Tilting my head up gold plaited steps, I spotted him, leaning forward with his eyes already trained on me.

The room was deathly silent save for my footsteps before I stopped where I usually did.

The tension in this room was already thick and no one has said a word.

I could practically smell the uneasiness from the guards who were now behind me, their fingers fidgeting against their decorative spears.

"Son." He began.

My fists tightened at my sides.

One word in and his tone was already disdainful.

I put my hands in my pockets.

"Father," I replied, matching his tone exactly.

I swear I saw the corner of his lip rise and his eyes flash in amusement, forcing me to swallow a growl right from the start.

Two words in and this was already going great.

"I would have thought mother would be here as well," I spoke, hoping his response would give me some kind of hint as to what this conversation was going to be about.

His brows lowered just barely a noticeable amount.

"She would have liked to, but unfortunately she had to take care of something in the city." He responded.

"I see," I grimaced, "Then can we make this as short as possible? I have something I need to attend to."

His grin grew.

"Something to attend to you say?" He all but purred, "What exactly would that be if I may ask?"

"You may not." My words came out with more venom than I anticipated.

Silence overcame the room yet again as my last word echoed through the room.

I was expecting his next words to come with anger at my disrespect, but what he ended up doing somehow made me angrier.

He let out a small laugh, crossing one leg over the other before he leaned back.

he finished with a satisfied sigh before he spoke up again.

"Oh, Nicolas, your life would be so much easier if you hadn't adopted the trait of being so stubborn."

I didn't fight my glare.

"You don't seem like you understand that my trait was inherited, now can we get to the point?"

Another subtle laugh.

"It appears you also inherited my lack of patience," He set his arms on the armrest, "Which perfectly ties into why I wanted you here today."

He paused, expecting me to say something but I stayed quiet.

He continued.

"You see, I recently found and retrieved a valued slave of mine that was contained under your doing, though, I'm sure you already caught word of this."

I swallowed hard, nodding as confidently as I could possibly muster.

I didn't want him knowing that his actions and suspicions had caused me to force my hand.

Forced me to surrender everything to keep Khloe away from him.

He opened his mouth to speak again, but paused, the confident look in his eyes faltering for just a moment.

I didnt even have time to question his actions before whatever caught his attention caught mine.

My heard dropped as the mix of scents caused me to instinctively turn my head towards the door.

The smell of both Khloe and blood hit at about the same time, but the two weren't related.

Still, that fact didn't stop my blood from boiling, especially when the scent of the boy who my father had freed came into the mix.

Carlo, Khloe, and the sound of quickly approaching footsteps.

Shit!

Panic shot through me like a bullet before I turned back towards my father, my nails sharpening with the realization of what was happening

When I saw him too staring at the door expectantly, one soul-crushing fact became clear.

He outplayed me.

He outplayed me but this wasn't over.

I felt my adrenaline and previously dormant instincts flow through my blood as I replayed that in my head.

The anger I fought so hard to hide finally showed itself as my posture subtly shifted and my eyes turned to slits.

My body was preparing itself to fight.

What I loved and promised to protect was in danger.

So despite how foolish it seemed to be, I was willing to do whatever I could to protect her.

I restrained myself enough for the time being to keep my thoughts as straight as I could.

I didn't know fully what was happening, and I wanted to make sure I could deduct the best possible way to do this.

My head snapped back as the doors behind me flew open.

The image I saw nearly pulled me into a rage right there and them.

There Carlo stood, hunched over, His breaths heavy and trembling as blood poured from his nostrils and a cut on his lip and brow.

And there in his arms, was Khloe fighting to keep her consciousness, her breaths as sporadic as his were

My feet shifted in preparation.

Right now I just needed to get to her.

I needed her in my grasp and as far away from this as possible.

There was no other plan in my mind, just get her out of here.

The oddly irked voice of my father was the last thing I heard before I lunged towards them.

"Ah, Carlo. You're early."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 3.2K 41
She began to fear every sound since she had met him. With every step she looked over her shoulder. Fear of him kept her wary. Trying to run from the...
124K 3.2K 26
Cover made by dogpower77 - Raven is just like any other 18 year old on the planet, with a few exceptions. One, she's a Werewolf. A Werewolf that wi...
1M 39.7K 35
"Hello, are you there ?" "Yes, I am. I will always be there." "Can I ask you something?" "Sure my love." "Why don't I feel scared of...
233K 7.6K 21
Only 18 and her dad gave her up for slavering. She knew it would happen but not today. There she was standing there actually wishing to go back home...