Moonlit Shadows

By Avid_Rdr

20 years have passed since we last visited Blood Mountain. Life has continued on, but for some of Blood Mount... More

Dead Ends
Home Is Where Your Heart Is
Just Like Old Times
On Your Own Terms
Destiny
Getting to Know You
Old Aquaintances And New
Whom Can One Trust?
Moonlight
The Transgressions of a Few
Unforgotten Memories
Confusion
Treating the Wounds
When You Can't Stand To Be Apart
Distractions
Missing Luna
A New Plan
Connections
Getting To Know You
Come Back
Sounds of Grief
The Voice In Your Head
Today We Fight
Doubts and Decisions
The Full Moon
Pain and Hope
Friends Don't Let Friends Travel Alone
To London, To London
To Meet The King
So Close, Yet So Far
Things To Be Done
Sometimes It Takes A Vampire
Betrayal
Every Problem Has A Solution
Suspicion
Unleashed
Live To Fight And Fight To Live
Know Your Enemy
How Does One Win in a Bloodbath?
And It Ends in a Reckoning
The Slowest Way To Die Is To Wait For A Loved One To Live
Appreciation for the Mundane
Narrow Misses
Wounds Can Be Healed By Truth
Finally Home
Wedding Jitters
Two Become One
Overwhelm
The Best Is Yet To Come
Epilogue

Arrivals

732 59 82
By Avid_Rdr

Jaci was now standing outside of the international airport in Daegu, trying to establish what day it was. She would probably be wondering that for a while. Professor Fenton had arranged for a hotel stay for her first night in Korea, with plans to train, then bus to her final destination.

Her destination was Blood Mountain and it was purposely not listed on global maps. However, due to the wealth of information on the internet and Professor North's research, Jaci knew exactly where she was heading.

And that was to bed.

Her flight had arrived in Korea just as the day was breaking. But Jaci had been unable to sleep on the flight. She was too filled with excitement and nerves.

A car pulled up to the curb, the back passenger door and trunk opening simultaneously. A smiling man, looking to be somewhere in his mid-fifties, leaned down and smiled. "Ride?"

Jaci looked at him and nodded, fishing the address of her hotel out of her pocket. She handed it to him and he nodded.

Throwing her large suitcase and carryon into the trunk of the car, she wearily slid into the back seat, trying to stay alert, just in case the driver proved to be of a nefarious sort.

***

About an hour later, Jaci was sprawled out like a starfish on the fluffy white linens of her three star hotel bed. She stared up at the plain white ceiling, listening to the city outside her window come to life as the day kicked into full swing.

First things first - text Professor Fenton.

Professor! I made it! Flight was great. I'm settled into the hotel. This is only a three star!? It's like a five star at home! I'll text you tomorrow.

He responded quicker than Jaci expected.

Good to hear. Don't sleep. It makes the jet lag worse. Do some site seeing or something. Be safe.

Jaci smiled. Professor Fenton was definitely like a dad. She always thought it was strange a handsome guy like him was perpetually, and seemingly contentedly, single.

"Stay awake, he says. Go have fun, he says," she groans, pushing herself up off the bed. Maybe a shower would reinvigorate her.

Thierry minutes later, she felt intense regrets about choosing the shower. She was more exhausted than before. Probably should have made it a cooler shower.

The bed was calling to her like a siren of the seas, luring her ever closer until she was buried in its warmth, snoozing her way through her first official day in Korea.

***

Regrets.

It might just become the theme of her entire trip.

Jaci had so many regrets.

She was now trying to stay awake on a bus that looked like it's prime had been about fifty years earlier. She jostled along with a dozen or so nonplused citizens. The rocking of the bus was lulling her to sleep, right before a pretentious pothole would jolt her awake.

The previous night, she had spent wide awake after a nine hour nap after her flight. Her days and nights were now screwed up and she groaned inwardly at the thought of correcting the issue.

As the bus chugged along, Jaci listened to the conversations around her. When Jaci had decided to pursue this mystery years ago, she had made it a personal mission to learn Korean and had done so with little difficulty. She may not be completely fluent, but she could understand anything that didn't deal with medical or industrial jargon.

The two women behind her did not seem thrilled about their trip, according to their chat.

"My grandmother has been begging me to come see her."

"Why?"

"She swears she's going to die soon. She's crazy."

Two elderly gentlemen across the aisle from her were smiling and discussing restaurant recommendations.

"I wonder if that ramen place is still there. I haven't been there in over twenty years."

"I heard from my cousin the owner died. Place closed up."

"That's too bad. Good ramen for cheap."

Jaci continued to eavesdrop while closing her eyes. Kids whined to their parents, and wrappers from candy bribes crackled in the air that smelled strongly of old vinyl and cheap colognes.

It was a leisurely two hour bus ride. Jaci was glad when it was finally over so she could plant her feet on solid ground again.

Everyone filed out of the bus and Jaci waited till last, dreading the moment she stood up. When she did, multiple places on her body cracked and popped.

She gathered her luggage as soon as the driver unloaded it, and while other passengers hopped into taxis to go on to more rural destinations, Jaci stood looking at a small town that seemed stuck in a bygone era.

The next thing she saw was the mountain itself looming over the city. She felt pin prickles creep over her skin. She was finally here! The place that had been just a blip on the radar of an old professor and his curious assistant now stood as a towering character in a story shrouded with mystery and intrigue.

She finally began walking towards the gas station that the bus had stopped at. Walking into the small building, she looked around and saw an elderly man behind the counter. He was slightly stooped over and wearing glasses as thick as the bottom of a soda bottle.

"No English!" he said gruffly.

Jaci grinned and shook her head. "I just arrived. Maybe you could give me directions to the place I'm staying?"

The man smiled widely as Jaci spoke. "You speak Korean!"

"Yes," she said.

"Where are you looking for?"

Jaci noted the small man was now exuding a little more hospitable warmth. "The Claret Guest House?"

"Ah! Yes. It's down two blocks, then you go left down the first alley...actually, I can show you? It's simpler than explaining."

Jaci felt hesitant. This man looked old enough to be her great, great grandfather. She was more worried about him hurting himself then the fact she had to drag her luggage around.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes! Yes! We don't see many foreign visitors here. I own this gas station and it's usually the first place new people go to when they arrive, unless they're locals. The last foreigner I ever saw was about twenty years ago." The man flipped around an old "open" sign, alerting any future patrons the station was closed.

Jaci's ears perked up. She walked beside the man as they made their way down the two blocks. "Oh? That's a long time ago."

"Yes, it was. But I remember her well. She spoke Korean like you!" He chuckled a wheezy kind of laugh.

"She surprised me..."

Jaci listened with new found energy. If this man had been here twenty years ago when Sunny had come here he might remember her.

"She was a feisty one. You remind me of her a bit. Are you American too?"

American too? So the last foreigner he remembered was American! Jaci began to get goosebumps.

"Yes, I am," she answered, turning down the alleyway after the man.

"Hmm, what a coincidence." The old man put his hands behind his back and walked silently on, looking around at his surroundings.

Jaci followed, curiosity burning in her. Should she ask? She had to.

She stopped walking and jerked her backpack around her front, unzipping it and grabbing out a small photo. It was Sunny's faculty ID picture. Jaci grabbed her luggage again and hurried to catch up with the man.

"Excuse me sir, but would that visitor happen to be this woman?"

The man stopped and turned to see Jaci holding out the photo to him. He slowly took it, eyeing Jaci more carefully now.

His eyes drifted down to the photo, widening as they rested on the face, and then he quickly shoved it back into Jaci's hands. "Keep going to the end of the alley. Turn right and go two blocks. The place you want is there."

With a new spunk to his step, he turned on his heel and hurried back the way they had come.

Jaci looked after him, feeling confused. He had definitely recognized Sunny's face, but why had he reacted that way? It was way too weird for Jaci to ignore. She might have chased after him if she still hadn't had all of her luggage.

Following his directions, she arrived at her lodging. It was a small house, with lush flower gardens in the front, lining a stone walkway to the front entrance. No one was around, but a pink envelope with her name on it was taped to the door.

Jaci dropped her luggage and opened the envelope. She pulled out a simple white paper and read the words on it.

Miss Aigle,

I hope you've had a good trip so far. Please enjoy your stay here! If you need anything, feel free to call me at the number below. I've also put the lock code there as well beneath my phone number. After you've used the code you can put in your fingerprint for easier access.

The kitchen is well stocked per your requests. There are fresh linens in the bathroom closet if you need them. Please relax and enjoy your sabbatical!

Sincerely,

Lee Ga-Eun
Owner

Jaci entered the door code and as she pushed open the door, she walked into a quiet, brightly lit bungalow type house. Windows on most of the outside walls let in plenty of natural light. It was simply decorated, and Jaci was pleased with how neat and tidy it was.

The part about the kitchen confused her a bit. Professor Fenton must have made the requests. She opened the fridge and saw quite a stash of fresh fruits, juices, sandwich meats, and a case of her favorite soda.

The cabinets held other items that fed into her junk food cravings. Cookies, chips, bread for the sandwiches, and a variety of crackers.

Most of the items were US brands and Jaci was almost embarrassed at how much they must have cost. She brought out her phone and sent a message to her Professor.

I reached my lodging. Honestly, Professor, you went too far. But thank you. I'm looking forward to lunch! Also, I met a funny old man when I got here. He said I reminded him of the last foreigner visitor that was here - get this - 20 YEARS AGO! I showed him Sunny's photo and he reacted strangely. I know he recognized her but he rushed off before I could ask him any questions. I think I'm on the right track! TTYL!

It took all of Jaci's resolve not to dump her luggage and head to the mountain. But she needed to make that trek when she was more rested and properly prepared.

Besides, the next day was Saturday, and hiking up a mountain seemed to Jaci like a very Saturday thing to do.

With that decided, she made herself a sandwich, popped open a can of soda, and unpacked.

***

Saturday morning was here, the sun was out, and Jaci had been up since dawn packing and repacking her backpack. From her research, the mountain had very erratic weather changes. There seemed to be one weather system on one side and an entirely different one on the other. She dressed for the current outdoor weather, but also added a coat and gloves into her pack just in case.

Armed with her phone, camera, snacks, water, and a spirit as energized as it could get, she set out on the biggest adventure she felt she had ever been on.

***

Jaci reached the base of Blood Mountain after enduring stares from the townsfolk, and one dire warning from an old woman to turn back in if she valued her life.

None of it had dampened her spirits and now she stood at the foot of a mountain, whose own mysterious legend was larger than life. She was already seeing white stuff up the mountain, so she went ahead and pulled out her coat.

As she slipped it on, she gazed at the tree nearby, covered in colorful ribbons. She raised her camera and snapped a few pictures of it. She hadn't remembered seeing anything about it in her studies. Walking forward, she reached out her hand and held lightly to one of the yellow ribbons. She turned her head to the side and read the name.

Choi Son Baek - beloved father

She released the ribbon and grabbed a blue one fluttering nearby.

Oh Shin Young - loved sister - never forgotten

Jaci read several more ribbons, feeling a sense of quiet respect fall over her. It was clear this was a place to memorialize the dead. But why here? It seemed a bit dark to put a memorial tree at the foot of a mountain said to be home to man eating creatures.

Jaci turned her eyes back to the mountain. Every ounce of reason in her screamed at her to turn back. But Jaci was never good at listening to reason.

She turned her back on the tree and began making her way up into the shade filled forest.

***

"Jungkook! I wasn't expecting you to be back so soon! Did you have a good time?" The pack's Luna, Ga-Eun, hugged Jungkook tightly, only cringing a little at the scent of the vampires all over him. She had long ago reluctantly accepted their neighbors.

"Sorry, I haven't showered yet," said Jungkook sheepishly.

"You better hurry! Our guests will be here soon. They're prospective pack members. We need to put forth a good image."

Jungkook nodded and allowed Ga-Eun to boss him through several chores she needed done around the pack house before the guests came. He laughed to himself when she began ranting about how Hoseok seemed to disappear any time she needed extra things done.

Finally, after two hours, Jungkook was released from his temporary employment. He made his way to his apartment in the large house and finally sat down, relaxing a bit.

He had loved every moment he had spent with Taehyung and Sunny. He wished he could live with them forever, but that would be condemning himself to a lifetime of third-wheeling. He was not about to do that. It wouldn't be fair to them or him. No, short visits were the best solution.

He took a warm shower, washing away any offending scents. He picked out a simple yellow button down shirt and dark blue jeans for the dinner. It seemed springy to him. 

As he buttoned the shirt, rolling up the long sleeves a bit as well, he stared at his reflection in the mirror. Would he meet her tonight?

What if he did? He could be officially mated before the next full moon, which was only a few days away. Could that really be possible?

Sighing heavily, he stood straight and surveyed his appearance. He hated how he fell into the traps of getting his hopes up every time Ga-Eun invited him to dinners like these.

At least he had ever lost hope of finding his true mate. Putting in his small silver hoops through his earlobe piercings, he took a deep breath and headed to his fate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67 0 4
A long time ago there used to be peace among all species. But things suddenly changed after a vicious attack wiped out many people. Lives were torn a...
1K 45 18
Jeon Jungkook, a young Alpha, looking for his missing piece. His mate. Will he find her? What if she doesn't want him? Will he ever be able to feel c...
314 13 32
"𝑴𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒑𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒓𝒉𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒎 𝒐𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔" . . . . . . Many years ago in a world filled with chaos, ther...
652K 19.4K 20
He is cold He doesn't believe in love He gave up on his mate But what will happen when he does find her? In the middle of the forest, He found her...