When the morning comes

By mindofjohanna

A grieving father, with a son who increasingly shows strange behaviour at school. Broken hearts, begging to b... More

mindofjohanna
1 | reliving
2 | caro ragazzo
3 | two lying sons
4 | the first bottle
5 | a little taste of her
6 | the bottle wasn't empty yet
8 | a spinning head
9 | Sole
10 | when home becomes a house
11 | it's a scam
12 | youth
13 | webale
14 | Sound of Music kids
15 | vivid memories
16 | a helping hand
17 | small talks
18 | spaghetti bird
19 | out of place
20 | Edelweiss
21 | Davu
22 | knitted fashion
23 | English teacher logic
24 | cookies and woolen socks
25 | woven like woolen socks
26 | chaos in our minds
27 | scones at midnight
28 | entangled minds
29 | Hannah
30 | outstretched hands
31 | wave of emotions
32 | when home becomes a different house
33 | the truth comes out
34 | untouched house
35 | a place of delight
36 | the purity of a child
37 | son of my right hand
38 | city of love
39 | a changed second
40 | onions and ice cream
41 | complicated brotherhood
42 | Italian tempers
43 | lake filled with tears
44 | I'm ready
45 | childly minds
46 | dads are teenage boys
47 | your perspective
48 | her truth
49 | Campione's notebook
50 | one more morning
51 | paintings
52 | coming home
53 | when the morning comes
song
When Night Fell

7 | special delivery

677 59 122
By mindofjohanna

Slouched back onto a chair, I played with the ring that was on my ring finger. Shoving it up and down, changing fingers and accidentally letting it drop onto the table. Grasping it in a swift motion, I shoved it back onto the right finger and looked up, trying to keep my attention to Unc Teddy, the headmaster of the school.

"And basically-" He stared at me, blinked once or twice as his eyes narrowed. "Are you here with us, Zev?"

"I am, I am." It came out as stuttering, felt as if I was one of his pupils, getting caught red-handed while doing mischief in class. My cheeks colored lightly, I tried to ignore the eyes that burned on my face. "Continue."

"What I was trying to say.." Teddy continued, I trailed off right after. Simple, but elegant, delicate. Gold, thin, but kept enough space for the purpose to put our name initials and the date we got married on engraved into it. Z & A. July, 18th, 08.

Licking my finger, I tried to clean the smudge my fingerprint had left behind, wiping it on my jeans afterwards. Trying to suppress a yawn, I mentally scolded the empty paper cup that was filled with coffee before, wondering why it hadn't succeed in doing its only job- keeping you awake at meetings. Teddy was a good guy. Slim, has diabetes, grey curls, immense love for people. But when it came to talking, there were times where he couldn't stop rattling. Only because he loved talking- inspiring. To some point, it could be appreciative.

But then it could also come to the point where your ears would start ringing and you'd wanted nothing but slam your fist onto to table to shut him off, even if it was only for one second so you could regain your energy and attention.

Picking up the paper cup, I peeled at the edges. The cup had become rather soft due to the coffee's warmth, so it was easy to fold and rip in pieces. Drops of leftover coffee spilt onto the table, then onto my skin.

"What are your views on that, Zev?"

Looking up, I sat up more straight, stretching my back. "Excellent. Yeah, excellent idea."

The silence that came after was louder than Teddy's voice. "Zev.. I'm sorry- what?"

Not wanting to make eye- contact, I wiped the drops of coffee off the table with the sleeve of my sweater. "What?"

"Salomé, can you repeat what I just said?"

Soft chuckles were heard and when I looked into the direction of the unfamiliar sound, I made eye contact with a young woman I hadn't seen before. Not remembering when she got into this room, I started to worry about myself. How deep had I been in my thoughts this whole time?

"Just.." Her voice was mellow, her gaze secure, even though her brown eyes that were rather dark spoke softness, consideration and much care. "Mr. Wood just explained that maybe it would be a good idea to connect the education the children receive to the afternoon activities, include the parents of the refugees in the education project. Soon, they have to take the language test, and if they don't pass, there may be a chance they have to leave the country, and we don't want that."

"Yeah, so?" I cleared my throat, looking from her to Teddy. "Excellent idea, as I said."

"So.. his question about your views was directed to the situation of them being threatened to leave the country if they do not pass the language test and civic integration." Salomé hesitated, dark brows furrowing lightly in confusion.

"Oh." A sheepish smile appeared on my face. "Not so excellent." I mumbled out after, staring down at my fingers.

"What do you think of the idea, Zev?"

Raking my fingers through my hair, I noticed Salomé did the same thing, at the same time. Her fingers were thin, stuck at some point because of her wavy, brown hair with golden strands being knotted. It was cut just above her shoulders, jumpy as she looked around. It reminded me of Aurora's latest haircut, only her hair had been darker. "It would be a good idea, I suppose. But I already have my material ready and how would you want to include their parents in activities and such? How will they learn from their children? Also, how do you see my education being connected to the activities you will do?"

"Well." Salomé licked her lips, clasped her hands together as she leaned her arms onto the table. Her gaze was on the ceiling, a soft smile appeared on her lips. "See, the room the children play in could be divided into several themes. If you pass me your material, I can see what I can do. Maybe we can decorate the room to your themes every week. You're talking about the living room? Great, we can move the toys to the living room and I can make fun work sheets, or quests for the children to connect the right word to the right furniture, whatsoever."

Thinking about it, I actually quite liked the idea. "What about the parents? How will you include them in this?"

"We will organize days where the parents will come and see what the children have been taught. Let's take the example of the living room theme. The children will present their parents what they have learned throughout the week with a visual presentation. It's not our main goal to teach the parents, but they can pick up stuff from their children and it will be educational for the both of them. With their school education being connected to the afternoon activities, playing will also become learning, to which they will present it to their parents to hopefully get the English language into their system more quickly."

Furrowing my eyebrows, I gazed at her for a moment. She became silent, looked at me in anticipation. "Wait, but.. who are you? Why are you here, and why is my opinion valid only?" Glancing between Teddy and Salomé, I saw how her anticipated expression changed into a frown.

Teddy cleared his throat, tried suppressing a sigh. "She introduced herself at the beginning, and because the kids who play at her house are the ones in your class. You don't have to work together or anything, you do you part and she will do hers, but you only need to send your material her way."

"So, your name?"

"Salomé Livingstone, twenty-eight years old and I moved here not too long ago. I've opened up my house for refugee children or the poor to play and care, such as therapies and stuff. Near the Beany Business café."

Oh. "Across Daniel?"

"And Amanda? Yes. That's where I live."

I drove past you. Saw you. Didn't recognise you now. Those eyes of mine had gazed over many things, but if they had truly seen was another thing. "I see." Clearing my throat as I leaned my arms onto the table, my fingers fiddled with the paper cup, still. "I'd say, let's try that and see how everything goes."

Teddy's gaze was fixed onto my face, even when he continued to talk. "Great. Elizabeth, since you're teaching English to the refugee adults, I recommend you get in contact with Salomé to discuss.."

When the meeting was finally over, I'd forgotten I was still seated at the table, until Teddy sat down onto it, near me. "Do you sleep at night, Zev?"

"Pretty sure I do. I wouldn't know, otherwise, what happens to me when I close my eyes and lose grip on reality, fading to the unknown." Pressing my palms to my eyes, I squeezed them closed, letting out a sleepy sigh. Everyone else had left the room already, it was just the two of us now.

"You know sarcasm isn't going to help you much further in life." Teddy gave me a half-heartedly smile, gaze never leaving my face.

"You got a better coping mechanism, Pastor Wood?"

"I don't, as for now. I'm not in your shoes after all, haven't been ever in my life. Selfishly, don't hope to be anytime soon." Teddy sighed, clasped his hands together as he continued to observe my face. "I haven't seen you around much since Aurora.. know our house is always open, alright? Wednesday, around eight. Bible study."

"Thanks for the offer, but I've got a son sleeping around that time."

Teddy nibbled onto his bottom lip, eyes roaming over my face. "Plenty of young girls or boys in church who'd love to watch him. You can't always get out of everything using your excuses. It would be good. Salomé is joining, too."

"What has she got to do with this, now?" With a frown creasing my forehead, the tone in my voice betrayed the annoyance I felt and tried to hide.

"Just saying that she'll be a new face, the attention won't be on you, fully." Teddy answered, licking his lips as a small smile appeared on his lips. "Son, I know what you've been through is.. probably one of the worst things somebody can go through in my opinion, but even then, you're not alone. Don't forget that, alright? And we're here for you. People are willing to help, even if it's been a little longer than a year. We haven't forgotten about you, just noticed you're having a hard time accepting and grasping the things we offer you."

Want a package full of hope, wisdom and something that can drill something so deep inside of you that your insides get exposed to everything around you? A man who isn't afraid to throw himself into the deepest well to get another one out, even if it'd mean he would die a lonely, wet and cold death himself? A man who's willing to give up everything he owns, only to give the other one ray of hope, even when it isn't guaranteed? A pastor, headmaster, a friend, a father figure and a psychologist all in one? Order Teddy Wood and he'll be delivered as a whole package on your doorstep.

With the absence of my own father while growing up, Teddy had always been there for me when I needed a man in my life. Growing up with a mother and three sisters, not having a manly figure in the family could be tough for a young boy. It wasn't like I saw him daily- he had his own wife and children- but when I came over when I was lost, he'd always bring me back to myself. His wife cooked food as if they'd always expected guests- there was never too less. And if they really hadn't expected someone, he wasn't afraid of skipping his meal and giving it away to the other one.

He'd married me and Aurora, welcomed us in his church when we, but mostly Aurora, was searching. Without wanting it, he'd always known me better than I thought he did. Knew me better than I did myself, at times.

Frustrating? No question. Needed? Yeah, perhaps.

"I'm just going to say it, son. I worry about you." Teddy fiddled with his own empty paper cup, then tossed it into the bin. "The kids miss Benji too at kids club."

"Benji gets tired after a school week. I have to wake him at ten sometimes on Sunday mornings to find out he's still in a deep sleep. I don't want to interrupt that." I mumbled out, guilt bubbling up inside of me once the words left my mouth. Aurora would have been disappointed, Teddy would be. But wasn't that the only thing I had done lately, anyway?

Teddy didn't answer, just nodded. The same moment, I felt my phone vibrating in the pocket of my jeans. Pulling it out, Benji's teacher filled the screen. Closing my eyes for a few seconds, my thumb debated between the green and the red button.

"Don't run away from people, Zev."

"This person has been bothering me for weeks, and it only brings negativity. And besides, I'm not running away from people."

"People.. That is including you, yourself." Teddy shrugged, stood up and left me alone.

Taking a deep breath, I accepted the call and brought it up to my ear. "Zev here."

"Good afternoon. Catholic Primary School, teacher of Benjamin Malin speaking here.. I'd like to discuss something about his behaviour he has shown today at school.."

And there it went. Again.

There she is, Salomé. Thoughts on her so far?

What about Teddy Wood?? I think he's sweet.

Zev? Benjamin?

Let me know your thoughts 🧡 votes, comments, shares much appreciated!!

Best comments get a dedication next chapter xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 146 40
{book 1} - I'm Summer Claysworth. Artist. My life is perfect. Are you shitting me? What a terrible lie that was. My life was ordinary for any typical...
4.5K 262 31
He is left with nothing but a motherless child. He can't forget the past. It's too much. He suffered too much. He lost too much. Now all he wants is...
1.8K 183 15
THIS BOOK IS PUBLISHED AS ORIGINAL DRAFT, I WROTE IT WHEN I WAS YOUNG AND IT'S NOT EDITED SO THERE'S A LOT OF MISTAKES BECAUSE I DIDN'T RE-READ CHAPT...
45.4K 1.2K 15
Harry recently loses his boyfriend and his mental state is completely unstable. He breaks down randomly in class and refuses to be touched by anyone...