The Forgotten Duchess

Av MoonlightHunter3

After fleeing her burnt village, a woman with a mysterious past takes refuge in the home of a reticent duke... Mer

The Forgotten Duchess
Chapter Two | Voices
Chapter Three | Surprise
Chapter Four | Mistake
Chapter Five | Research
Chapter Six | Confession
Chapter Seven | Roles
Chapter Eight | Kitten
Chapter Nine | Noir
Chapter Ten | Study
Chapter Eleven | Aunt
Chapter Twelve | Dress
Chapter Thirteen | Menu
Chapter Fourteen | Promise
Chapter Fifteen | Riding
Chapter Sixteen | Friends
Chapter Seventeen | Pale-maille
Chapter Eighteen | Moonlight Sonata
Chapter Nineteen | Unrequited
Chapter Twenty | Village
Chapter Twenty-One | Hunt
Chapter Twenty-Two | Saviour
Chapter Twenty-Three | Dismissal
Chapter Twenty-Four | Irrigation
Chapter Twenty-Five | London
Chapter Twenty-Six | Urchin
Chapter Twenty-Seven | Bond Street
Chapter Twenty-Eight | Wellington
Chapter Twenty-Nine | Debutante
Chapter Thirty | Waltz
Chapter Thirty-One | Parliament
Chapter Thirty-Two | Dowry
Chapter Thirty-Three | Chess
Chapter Thirty-Four | Wish
Chapter Thirty-Five | Return
Chapter Thirty-Six | Theatre
Chapter Thirty-Seven | Offer
Chapter Thirty-Eight | Garden
Chapter Thirty-Nine | Truth
Chapter Forty | Lineage
Chapter Forty-One | Lost
Chapter Forty-Two | Companionship
Chapter Forty-Three | Key
Chapter Forty-Four | Wedding
Chapter Forty-Five | Gossip
Chapter Forty-Six | Backbone
Chapter Forty-Seven | Departure
Chapter Forty-Eight | Governess
Chapter Forty-Nine | Torture
Chapter Fifty | Darkness
Chapter Fifty-One | Water
Chapter Fifty-Two | Rescue
Chapter Fifty-Three | Hope
Chapter Fifty-Four | Belief
Chapter Fifty-Five | Awake
Chapter Fifty-Six | Duchess
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
Other Stories

Chapter One | Insolence

18K 725 55
Av MoonlightHunter3

JAMES FULTON, THE Duke of Lennox was annoyed. He called for his valet to arrive precisely thirty minutes prior to midnight, yet the door remained open and there was no sight of the man. He could of course remove his clothing himself, but it begged the question as to why he still employed a valet in the first place? His cravat itched against his throat and with an annoyed scowl, his nimble fingers loosened the material allowing him air to breathe.

For the twentieth time today, he wondered why he had bothered to attend Lady Albermay's soirée anyways. It was the same scene repeatedly and it got quite exhausting. The same chits were vying for his attention, their mamas pushing them towards him like lambs to the slaughter. The wallflowers giggled and blushed at his presence and the men did their best to hide their distain and jealousy.

It unsurprisingly made for a less than enjoyable time. He had only gone because there was only so much entertainment for a duke in an empty manor. However, with the terrible mood he was now in reminded him of his foolishness.

A glass of brandy would be nice about now if any of his servants listened to his summons. What did he pay them for if not to wait on him hand and foot? Still scowling, James stepped outside his chambers, surprised to see the upper floor of the Chalcott manor eerily silent. There were no chamber maids skirting around as they usually did at this hour. The only sounds present were from the sheets of rain hitting the glass windows at alarming speeds. 

Frowning, James walked down the first flight of stairs. There was nobody there either. The front entrance, where his butler always remained was empty. He employed a sufficient number of servants, yet it seemed that no one was presently conducting their duties. What could be more pressing than their duties?

He stood in the entryway for a moment, before he faintly heard sounds from the servant quarter's below. Curiosity getting the better of him, he followed the noise. He certainly did not make it a routine to visit his staff here, yet he could hear them bustling about. In quick brisk steps, he arrived to see several of his servants in his housekeeper's room. They were all crowding around something, but with his obscured view he could not see what it was.

Leaning against the outer frame of the door, he was able to remain relatively hidden. The servants were so busy in whatever they were doing that they did not notice the presence of their master.  

"Get me another rag."

He knew that voice, it was his housekeeper, Mrs. Shire. A maid went to follow her orders when she happened upon James and gasped loudly.

"Your Grace," she sunk into a deep curtsy.

Her voice was loud enough that the rest of the servants in the room froze for a moment before they all followed in suit. Realizing that it did him no good to stand in the corner, he stepped into the dimly lit room and his gaze met that of his valet's.

"You were to tend to me," he took out his pocket watch and flipped it open to see the time, "seventeen minutes ago."

His valet paled, "Apologies Your Grace, I lost track of time. I can tend to you now."

James gestured to his half-done cravat, "Hutton, does it look like I still require your assistance?"

Hutton wisely kept his mouth shut. The rest of the servants waited for his next tongue lashing, but it never came. "Mrs. Shire," he addressed his housekeeper, "do tell me what all this fuss is about."

His housekeeper moved to the side allowing James to get a view of whatever they were crowding around.

As he walked closer to the cot, he drew in a sharp breath.

"Where did you find her?"

It was Martin, his butler who answered. "Near the stables, Your Grace."

James nodded; his eyes still trained upon the young woman on the cot. Her eyes were closed, mud and dirt caking her hair. Her clothes were drenched and torn in places making the scraps and cuts more visible. He did not know what happened to her and how she'd found his isolated estate, but he knew that if she died now, it would be under his watch—thanks to his foolish servants who'd taken in the stray.

"Hutton," his valet stood straighter at the sound of his name. "Wake up one of the groomsmen and ride alongside him to the village. Summon whatever apothecary is residing there."

Hutton bowed before taking his leave, his valet did not question being sent out in the rain. If they created the mess, they were going to be responsible for cleaning it up as well. A physician would have been better to tend to the woman however he knew at this hour, it would be impossible to find one. He would send out a missive for one later—once he knew the woman would survive the night.

"Mrs. Shire, what do you think is wrong with her?"

His housekeeper met his gaze, and the words were solemn. "She's been on the road for quite sometime based on the scrapes. I am not sure if the infection has spread but she has a high fever as well—probably from being out in the rain too long."

James nodded, "Keep changing the cloth on her forehead until the apothecary arrives."

He seated himself on a chair and looked around the room. Most of the servants had fled but a few chamber maids remained as Mrs. Shire directed them. His gaze met that of his butler and because of years training, seconds later Martin was in front of him.

"Get me a glass of brandy, will you?"

His butler nodded, "Very well, Your Grace."

James settled into the chair getting as comfortable as he could, it looked as though it was going to be a long night.

***

The noise was the first thing that woke him up from the light slumber. Rubbing his eyes, he looked towards the door to see Hutton and another male behind him. Both were drenched, presumably from the rain. James stood up as Hutton made the introduction.

"Your Grace, this is Mr. Ballard, he is a physician."

Splendid. If the physician had arrived in place of an apothecary, it would save him time tomorrow. James cocked an eyebrow, "I didn't expect a physician to reside in a small village of Dulverton."

Ballard shrugged out of his coat and gave James a tight smile. "Fortunately enough, I was visiting my sister when your valet happened upon me."

James gestured towards the cot where Mrs. Shrine and his other servants had stepped a respectable distance away. Ballard walked towards the woman before he glanced at the crowd, "May I please have some space?"

James tilted his head towards the door and the servants all fled, leaving only him and the doctor. James watched as the man poked and prodded the woman.

He cleaned the cuts that were visible with some solution he'd brought before wrapping them tightly in a cloth.

"Will she ever wake up?"

"It is too early to say, Your Grace. The fever is high but because she is unconscious, I cannot give her any medication."

James snorted, "Is there anything you can do?"

Ballard shook his head. "Medicine can perform a great number of miracles, but it has it's limitations. In this instance, it is up to the body to heal itself."

"So, we just wait to see if she dies?"

The physician shot him a sympathetic glance, "You cannot control everything in this world, Your Grace."

James ignored him and stormed out of the room. It had been a waste of his time to call the man, it was clear he had no knowledge of medicine. His butler, Martin stood dutifully right outside the room. "Summon another physician, I do not care if they have to be dragged from their beds, make sure they come here in haste."

"Very well Your Grace, what should I do about the other physician?" He gestured towards the room.

"Pay him twenty-shillings and let him be on his way."

The weather was terrible, and it was cruel of James to send the man out in the rain, but it was clear that he was a fraud. If there was one trait, he hated more than anything—it was liars. Not waiting to see if his orders were being followed, James retired to his bed chambers. He needed a cool head and rest for when the next physician would arrive.

--------------

Hello! Welcome to the first chapter of The Forgotten Duchess posted on my 7 year Wattpad anniversary. Can't believe it has been so long! What did you think of the first chapter? Feelings on James? Please feel free to vote and comment if you like the chapter. Updates will be weekly!

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

89.1K 2.8K 5
Alexander Langley wasn't looking for trouble but Charlotte Porter found him anyway. Only, this new partnership has them in over their heads and way b...
55.2K 4.6K 36
Lady Eliza Winter has one friend in the world and she happens to go missing. And when Eliza goes to report the disappearance to the police they won't...
1M 33.4K 31
"You have to stop doing that." "Stop doing what?" "Saying things that makes me want to kiss you when I can't."    Becoming the prince's personal b...
175K 8.7K 64
𝘐𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘺𝘦𝘢𝘳 1810. 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘋𝘶𝘬𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘋𝘢𝘭𝘦𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘴 𝘵𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘶𝘱 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘶𝘵𝘪𝘦𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘶𝘬𝘦𝘥𝘰𝘮 𝘢𝘧𝘵𝘦...