How to find a Husband in 100...

By MelonDiaries

TO BE REVISED. DRAFT. Michelle Newman had finally caught her break when her father named her the new Presiden... More

Author's Note
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Ninteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Thirty One
Epilogue
Author's Note: Acknowledgments

Nine

16.6K 583 15
By MelonDiaries

Nine

As the sky outside darkens, I can’t help but let out a sigh of relief. I felt proud of myself as I made through a week without any unnecessary outburst like the first day. And, throwing my nameplate at him had been the first and last of my uncontrollable actions. I felt proud of myself that I was able to take all of his comments without throwing a thing. But, I still can’t help on commenting back an insult at him. It was a work in progress.

After I saved the worksheet on my computer, I closed all the tabs until I can see the wallpaper on my desktop. Then, I looked at the watch on the screen, smiling at time. I had finished everything early as I had calculated.

I shut off the computer and slowly gathered up my things and clearing out the papers on my desk. When I was ready to stand up and go, the door in front of me suddenly open, making me look up in surprise.

“Are you still working in there?” Hugh’s head popped in the small opening of the door.

I eyed him wearily and looked down on my things, grabbing my purse and cellphone. “I’m finished for today. I’ll be heading out early. I have a meeting tonight.” I replied vaguely, my voice stern and business-like.

“I didn’t see it in your schedule that you have a meeting tonight.” He pointed out with his eyebrow crunched together in concentration. Then, his face softens as realization crossed his expression. “Oh! You have a date…” He trailed off with a smirk.

He opened the door wide enough for him to enter, and then he closed it when he was already inside. “Who is the lucky guy?” He asked in interest as he wiggled his eyebrows teasingly.

“No one you would know.” I replied with a hiss as I walked towards him. “Can you get out of my way? I need to go now.” I added as he remained by the door, blocking my only exit.

“Oh! Come on, Newman. Don’t be a poor sport.” He complained playfully.

“Move away, Burns.” I almost growled as I stood an arm’s length from him.

“Fine. You don’t have to be so rude…”He mumbled in defeated as he opened the door behind him. “Lady’s first.” He gesture his hands out of the door as he stood beside me and bowed with his other hand on his back.

I gave him a sly snob, my eyes rolling in annoyance. And then, I walked ahead of him leaving him to close the door of my office. I continued walking, ignoring his obvious stare on my back. I thought he would stop bothering me, but it was too good to be true.

“What? No goodbye?” He called out when I was half way towards the elevator.

“Go to hell.” I replied softly to myself as I pressed the call button of the elevator.

I was saved when it open directly, giving me a quiet exit to the scene. When the elevator closed, leaving me by myself with the four metal walls, I let out my frustration with a loud deafening groan. I can’t believe I held that last one to myself. I really need to get out of here before I would seriously blow up.

I texted Russell to have the car outside, and ready to leave, while the elevator descended towards the lobby. When I got there, Russell was by the main exit waiting for me. It never ceased to amaze me that he can get things done as quickly as I ordered him to do it.

The drive back to my place was silent until my phone rings. I got it out of my purse and eyed the name flashing on my screen. I couldn’t help but let out a deep breath before answering the call.

“Hello?” I asked wearily.

“Mitch, where are you? I’m at your place right now. You need to get your sexy ass here and change.” Jade commanded angrily on the phone. She didn’t even bother with formalities and went straight to the point.

“It’s nice to hear from you too.” I replied sarcastically, ignoring her.

“Where are you? Are you on way already?” She asked, dismissing my sarcasm.

“Yes. Russell is driving me home, now.” I replied with a defeated sigh.

“Good. I’ll see you soon. The dress is awesome, by the way.” She giggled enthusiastically before ending the call with a goodbye.

I pulled the phone away from my ears and watch as my phone’s screen turned black at the lack of activity. Jade will always be Jade. I reasoned mentally to myself.

By the time I got to my apartment, I took a lot of time getting up on my floor and taking small steps before I entered the door. When I got inside, a frowning Jade, whose arms were crossed on her chest, as she stood tall, greeted me.

“What took you so long?” She asked with a dead tone.

I ignored her and walked towards the hallway to my room. “Hello too, Jade.” I called politely before entering my room. I was already used to her sour mood, especially when I’m the one who triggered it.

When I got inside my room, Paige was already there by my bed; setting up the things I needed in order to get ready for tonight. I haven’t really accepted on the fact that I’m going on a blind date.

“Are you going to tell me now who this guy is?” I asked directly as I approached her. This had been my question towards her since Jade asked me to go on this stupid date. Paige had been really hard when I asked her for details.

“For the hundred time, Mitch, I won’t spoil it. I know I’ve been easy on you for the past years, but I don’t want to ruin the surprise on this one. I want to give you the actually feeling of being surprise. And, I assure you; you will be surprise… And, probably pissed.” She replied with a sigh and trailed off into a whisper.

“If you haven’t talked me on going, or I didn’t have to go through with this family tradition nonsense… I would be at work, with no annoying secretary of course, and probably staring at a possible hotel expansion…” I mumbled softly to myself as I allowed my thoughts to trail off and distract me from my impending doom.

“You are going to be fine, Mitch. If you want to end it, you can just end it.” Paige assured me again as she gestured for me to sit down. “Just go through with it okay… It won’t be that bad.” And, after tonight, I hold those words against her.

“Are you ready to get this thing started?” Jade suddenly burst in the room, stopping Paige’s conversation and mine.

“Let’s get this over with…” I replied in defeat as I let out a strained breath.

Two hours had passed since I left home, wearing a thousand dollar worth of dress and accessory in order to go on through a date with a stranger. When the man walked in, he looked decent enough that made me feel my efforts aren’t going to waste. Then, he started talking.

As I continued to listen to him talk for the past thirty minutes, I can’t help but take another sip of my white wine. I tried to drown the annoyance I felt with alcohol. But, I didn’t want to have enough alcohol content that would put me in trouble. Since, I’m sure that I would be driving myself back tonight. One of the things I learned about agreeing to do to a blind date, it was always have a contingency plan to escape. So, I lied about coming here riding a taxi.

“The company I worked for had asked me to go on to this trip last month after I’ve…” he continued to babbled on as he tell me another tale about the places he travel for work.

I cut his words off as I zoned in again internally and ignored him. I need to get out of here before I will try to embarrass him.

“I’m sorry. I think I need to end our date here. I have a meeting to attend to around nine.” I interjected, placing my drink down with much poise as I can.

“Oh! Now?” he asked, looking a little stunned. “But, it’s still early.” He pointed as he eyes the half eaten pasta on my plate and glanced down on his wristwatch.

“I really need to go now.” I said, ignoring his words as I stood up from my seat. “This was lovely, but I think it really wouldn’t work between us.”  I added as I grabbed my purse.

“What – “ He looked at me, baffled by my words.

“Take it from me. Stop talking about yourself, and maybe, you will finally get a girlfriend.” I said softly before I give him a brief wave and walked out of the restaurant. I left my date speechless with his mouth hanging wide open.

I felt I was being hard with the guy. Maybe, too hard, since I sat down on that table with him and went through the meal as I listened to him talk. He wasn’t all that bad, mostly. He had some manners to ask me what I wanted to eat, and a little about my opinion on the topic we talked. But, he wasn’t for me.

I asked the valet for my car as I got out the front door of the restaurant, praying internally that the man wouldn’t follow me. It was such a bad thing on my part, and I would feel more awful if he didn’t let it go.

“Wait! Michelle!” A familiar male voice called out behind me, making me stiff. I can’t believe I’m going to do this here.

“I’m so sorry, there must be something I did that caused you to act like this… if it was something I said, or…” He continued until her reached me.

I turned around and faced him wearily. “Mr. Khole.” I started with a sigh as I looked at him straight in the eyes. “You didn’t do anything wrong. And, I’m really sorry for being too direct. But, I’m not taking anything back. This isn’t going to work, trust me.”

“How would you know that? This is our first meeting?” He asked in confusion, he still looked taken back that I was still rejecting him.

“I just know…” I mumbled in reply as I continued to look at him deadly. “Okay, here is the thing, Mr. Khole. Did you know who I was before going through this date?” I asked seriously, as I studied his expression much closely.

“Yes. I did.” He replied, his voice almost inaudible. “What does this got to do with the current situation?” He asked when I remain silent as I looked at him.

“Everything.” I replied after my car was parked behind me, giving me the quick exit that I needed.

“I don’t get it.” I stated as he watched me walked around, towards the driver seat. He looked confused and a little flustered.

“Don’t give me that innocent answer. You know who I am. And, I’m not really interested in dating guys who are suck ups, and pretty much after social standards and money. Been there, done that.” I said sternly before getting in the car and closing the door shut, cutting off another excuse from him.

I watched my blind date stand by the entrance of the restaurant, looking helpless and defeat. I knew I was right about the assumptions. The way he was talking about himself, he was trying to buy his way to my family’s business connection. I’ve dated a few of those to know one before I actually took interest in them.

As I drove back to my apartment, I put my phone on speaker as I called in my informant - who is in big trouble for putting me in this awful situation.

“How did the date go?” Jade asked in excitement as she answered my call on the second ring.

“I think you should start putting filters on how you screen these guys that you think are good enough for my time. This is my first date, and first candidate, and you already failed me.” I replied sourly before hitting the gas pedal as the lights turned green.

“Technically, he is prospect number two. Eric Collins was your first candidate by your standards…” She mumbled guilty as she tried to change the subject.

I’m not giving in that easily. “Where the hell did you find this guy?” I almost growled in annoyance.

“He was on one of your mother’s envelope. The one of the few who I haven’t been with…” She replied dejectedly and sighed.

“I thought you said this was a guy you picked.” I stated sternly, feeling a little annoyed that she even considered those men on my mother’s list. As I recalled from the photos, Mr. Talkative did looked familiar.

“He is. I considered him worthy enough… but, from the tone of your voice now, I don’t think so anymore…” She replied and trailed off as she pointed out the obvious.

“You think! The guy was a total suck up, talkative, social climber!” I shouted, my voice ringing inside my car.

“Okay! Fine! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to get you in that situation. I will do much better next time. I promise on one of my original Fendi purse.” She shouted back and continued with a serious tone.

“Good. Now, I’m getting myself a drink. I’ll call you later. Tell Paige about tonight, I’m not doing a repeat.” I pointed sternly before ending the call. I was pissed. I’m entitled to end the phone call rudely.

When I was a few blocks from my place, I made a quick turn and parked my car to the closest bar. I have been in there from time to time since I moved in two years ago. It took me awhile to convince my mother that I needed a place on my own without making it look like I wanted to be as far away from them.

As I entered, I went directly to the bar counter, eyeing the attending bartender with a grin.

“Rough night?” He asked with a chuckle as I sat down on one of the stools in front of him.

“You always ask me that every time I come here, Vince.” I replied with a laugh.

“So, what happened?” He asked directly, not needing a conformation from me.

“I had a date…” I replied and trailed off, not needing any further explanation.

“Then, you really must need that drink since you came here after.” He looked at me in amusement and walked away to get me my usual.

Vincent and I go way back since I moved in these part of the city. There wasn’t much background story between our odd friendship. It all started when I came in here, looking all gloomy from a previous relationship fall out. He had given some advice and a free glass. And, from then on, whenever I had something up, I would be here.

“So, tell me about this guy? Is he a rich asshole, or a suck up fresh graduate?” Vince asked as he placed my drink in front of me.

“The first one. But, he wasn’t in my league. He is a businessman who need me to get his business to grow.” I replied sourly and took a big gulp from my glass. I winced as the alcohol burned through my throat.

“How did you get out of that one?” He asked in interest. He was always interested on my dating life.

“I told him bluntly what kind of man he was. You should have seen his face… priceless.” I smirked as I remembered the dumbfounded look on the man’s face.

“I don’t know whether to be proud of you, or not on how much of a heartless person you’ve become.” He remarked with a laugh as he shook his head in disbelief.

Before I could retort on his comment, a glass suddenly slammed beside me, making me turned towards the sound. I did a double take as I eyed the person, and then I opened my mouth to let out a curse. From the way he was dressed, it looked like he came here from work. My night can’t get any worst.

----

A/N: Hello everyone. I apologize for updating late as usual. I've been busy over the past week. I'm so sorry for the wait. 

I hope you've enjoyed this chapter as I have enjoyed writing it.

As for the next chapter, I will try to update a little early.

Thank you so much for everything. Comment on. A vote is always appreciated.

Have an awesome day and happy reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

119K 5.7K 26
When Olivia Johnston’s cell phone rang at three o’clock in the morning she never expected it to be her ex-best friend. The same friend that once had...
74.9K 3.3K 27
"We can't let him know," she whispered. "We don't have to let him know." "This isn't right," she began, but he silenced her with his lips. ••• Cla...
78.5K 2.1K 71
Annalise Dolan. Once I was girl with dreams and better hope for the future. But everything got snatched away from me by father and her lover. He tain...
92 27 26
This is a love story with made up characters. Shannon said .. Yes..I wanna find happiness but at what price. Shannon a 25 year-old daughter of a pr...