Twenty

“I’m only asking for one date, Michelle.” He stated again as I remained silent.

I gapped at him for another second before I willed myself to talk. I cleared my throat before speaking. “Okay, one date. That is all.”

“Oh, god. I thought you wouldn’t say yes…” he visibly relaxed and sighed in relief. “Does Saturday lunch sound good for you?”

“Yeah, sure.” I nodded timidly, not really processing what I just agreed to do. But I can’t help smile at his persistence.

“Good.” He nodded enthusiastically with a beaming smile. “Are you still free for that interview? I did came here with that in mind and some personal stuff…” He trailed off shyly in admission.

“I think I still have time. What kind of interview is it?” I replied, glancing down at my watch to see it was still quarter to six in my watch.

“There is a rumor going around that you have finally inherited the Newman Empire. And seeing as this office was your father’s, the rumors might be true.” He said and concluded his assumptions in the same breath, his eye darting around my new office.

“I’m not going to deny those rumors, but that position isn’t official. I have some things to do before that happens.” I replied grimly, remembering that condition to this position.

“Ah, yes. There was rumor about that too,” he trailed off as his gaze landed back towards me. “Is it true that our parent’s is arranging you to marry someone?” He asked after a beat of silence.

I stiffened at his question. How did he know all of this? Only a selected people knew about it. My family wouldn’t be blabbering on information regarding a secret family tradition, but then my mother told Mrs. Burns. She is as talkative as my mother, but she wouldn’t divulge such secret to the public. It would create an uproar in which I would be the center of it. She wouldn’t do that to me consciously even if I visibly hated her son.

“Where have you heard about this ridiculous idea?” I asked, brushing off my shock expression.

“It’s just a rumor. But I personally think it is not true. You’ve been dating a lot lately.” He replied smugly, giving me a flirtatious wink.

I chuckled and shook my head in amusement at his expression. “Well, whoever spread that rumor wanted me out of the dating scene. But I’m just getting started.” I giggled at my bad joke.

“Any reasons why you are dating a lot lately?” He asked in interest.

I opened my mouth for a reply but closed it again as I realized I was about to tell him a family secret. I cleared my throat and started again. “Not really. I think I’ve been away from the dating scene and it’s time to get back in the game.”

“That wasn’t what I heard from our source. They say that you are currently at a personal family deal about marriage.” He pointed out rather than asking for its confirmation.