Thirty One

"We are going to talk about your engagement."

I felt my heart stop for a second as those words came out of my father's mouth. I couldn't remember how I responded after he said those words. The next thing I knew I was startled by a knock on the door.

"I will see you by two. I need to go, honey." My father said on the end of the phone before cutting it off as I softly replied with a brief goodbye.

"Come in!" I called out after I placed the phone back down.

I looked up in time Hugh entered the office. I didn't greet him and waited until the door was close. When we looked up at me, he gave me a one hundred watts smile as he strutted towards my desk.

"I brought lunch," he said as he held up both of his hands, showing one with a plastic bag while the other is a bottle of wine.

"I see you kept your word," I stated as I nodded towards the wine on his right hand.

"Hardly. I lied about desert. We can have it after work, if you want," he smiled suggestive and wiggled his eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes at him and cleared stood up from my chair. "We'll eat there," I instructed as I pointed at the ten-sitter table on the left side of my office.

Hugh nodded and offered me towards the table. He placed our meal neatly and opened the bottle of wine while I sat back and watched him as per his request. There was a brief silence in the room as we continued eating until Hugh glanced up from his meal, catching me for the first time from staring at him.

"What is it?"

"Did my father tell you want the meeting is about this afternoon?"

"Not really. He only asked about if you were free. Why do you ask?" he looked at me skeptically and took a sip from his glass of wine.

"He called before you came in and told me about an engagement... doesn't that ring a bell?" I asked as I eyed him in suspicion.

His eyes grew wide while he visibly gulped down his nerves. I raised my eyebrow at him as I waited for his reply. When he remained still, I snapped my fingers in front of him, getting him out of his trance.

"Did you tell my father about us?" I asked bluntly.

"I haven't told anyone about us, except Louise and Hana. How about you? Didn't you tell Jade and Paige yesterday?" he countered, his tone turning snappish.

"I did. But I'm sure those two wouldn't be telling anyone from how our conversation ended," I replied sadly as I remembered a little fight.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound rude," he sighed and apologized quickly.

I looked up at him, taken aback from his apology. I haven't gotten used to it after all. It might take some time before I would warm up to it.

"I promise you I don't know what your old man is talking about. We will know when he'll be here later," he stated and picked up his spoon as he started eating again.

I stiffly nodded at his words and continued eating my meal. After we finished, we went back to work. It was difficult to concentrate when all I could think about was my father's words. If he hadn't known about Hugh and me, was it from the news? Did he think that Robert was the man I choose to marry?

I started creating scenarios in my head. By the time two came, there was an incoming call in my desk phone. I picked it up with a heavy heart, anticipating the inevitable.

"Mitch, you're father is here. I'm going to escort him in the boardroom downstairs. He said he had some thing to finalize with the legal department. He wanted the meeting to be there." Hugh informed me and cut the call after I give him a brief okay.