My Fair Lady

By beautifulatsunrise

Juliet Rosewood has never been one of the attractive young ladies whom gentlemen favour just liker her sister... More

My Fair Lady
Visit
Dance
Meeting
Horse-Riding
Return of A Good Friend
Embarrassment
Dressmaker
Theatre
Sickness
Argument
Confession
Moving House
Household
Request
Friendship
Dinner
Engagement
Engagement Party Part 1
Engagement Party Part 2
Absence
Ashes and Ashes
Truth
Gambling
Pain
Deranged
Potion
Argument
Realisation
Opulence
Safe and Sound
- Announcement: Casting-
Secrets
Affair
Council
Letters
Den of Love
Eloped
The Runaway
Anger
Clash of the Two Gentleman
The Lioness
Farmer
Forest
Reunion
Note

A Visit To The Witch

71.9K 980 86
By beautifulatsunrise

A/N: O.O This is my longest chapter yet. Hope it's not too long-winded.

As the horse carriage arrived back at Edmund's mansion, Juliet still felt a little dazed. To think Sir Bernard was so dishonorable as to betray her sister and hurt her best friend.

The moment she got off the carriage, she heard someone call her name. "Juliet!"

She turned around and found Edmund standing at the entrance. He looked handsome and regal as usual and he took a few long strides to reach her.

"Edmund," she whispered.

"Juliet." He smiled. "How was your trip to Lady Syvil's castle?"

"It was...unexpected," she said carefully. Syvil's matter was too delicate to mention to anyone else. Edmund was after all, noble born. He would never understand how important it was to help Syvil.

"I'm relieved," he said. "I know that you are weak and need rest but I'm afraid we need to get you to somewhere now."

"Where?" she frowned. And Edmund was right, she did feel rather tired and giddy. The anti-poison soup's effects wore off after a period of time and she was constantly afraid that she would slip off into unconsciousness.

"I've received word that we can meet the witch who did this to you," he said a little angrily. "And she has agreed after some emotional blackmailing to remove the poison and curse from you."

"Thank goodness, I was afraid that I have to keep on drinking that wretched, vile liquid forever," Juliet murmured. "Shall we be on our way?"

"Indeed," Edmund said. "Lord Jasper and Gisors will meet us there."

"Jas? He's such a busy person," she answered. "He doesn't need to be there, does he?"

"Juliet," Edmund sighed exasperatedly. "He's there for the same reasons as I am."

"Which is?"

"I will explain it to you another day."

*********

The witch's residence was located in Whitechapel. Of course, it was to be expected. Whitechapel was the dubious underbelly of the British civilisation. With squalid conditions and dark streets, prostitutes and drunkards were littered everywhere.

Juliet withdrew her head from the window and she clamped a hand over her mouth. The stench was overwhelming and she knew she would never step into this area if given a choice.

"Juliet, are the symptoms coming back again?" Edmund asked alertly.

"No," she answered. "It's just the smell. I didn't know such a place existed in Britain."

"You will be surprised at a lot of things," he said.

The carriages soon came to a stop and Edmund helped her out. The area where they were in was secluded, save for a drunkard who had passed out in a corner.

"Where is this place?" Juliet whispered. "I fear that I've a faint heart."

"I'm here to protect you," Edmund answered seriously. "Come, Lord Jasper and Gisors awaits us. We must not dally."

As they approached the tall, looming house in the darkness, two figures standing at the door looked up.

"Mercy," Jasper exclaimed in relief. "'Tis a relief that both of you are here." Sweat was dripping down his forehead and Juliet chuckled. He was probably scared of being assaulted in the darkness.

"Lord Edmund." Gisors bowed. Unlike Jasper, he looked unperturbed and his face was emotionless. Juliet began to think that there was nothing that could make Gisors laugh.

"Jas, you need not have come," Juliet chastised gently. "'Tis not your business."

"I care about you too, Juliet," Jasper answered. "Even if the only person you see is Edmund Aughust."

Edmund, who had remained silent all this while, muttered in an irritated voice. "Shall we go in or must we dally further?"

Lord Jasper shot him a resentful glance. "Lead the way, Gisors," he commanded.

Gisors knocked on the door and he entered the ramshackle house. Jasper trudged ahead, followed by Juliet and Edmund.

The second she entered the house, Juliet resisted running out in terror. The entire house inside was shrouded in darkness and there was only a candle lighted up in the middle of the room. Still, it was enough for her to see the surroundings.

There were human skulls hung up around the room and strange-smelling chemicals everywhere.

Her heart pace quickened and she turned half-way until Edmund placed a hand on her shoulder. "I will be here for you. Don't worry," he whispered into her ear.

Nodding, Juliet stepped up to stand next to Jasper, who despite looking scared just now, was undeniably still braver than her.

"Madam Favela," Gisors said calmly. "We are all here."

"Indeed?" A high-pitched voice sounded out and a figure emerged from the darkness.

Juliet stared at the woman. She didn't look like a witch by any count. She wore neither a cape nor a black hat but she certainly dressed like a gypsy with all the dangling bangles and scarves.

"'Tis her?" Madam Favela pointed her wrinkly finger at Juliet.

"Yes m'am," she answered courageously. "I'm the one you placed a curse on."

"Tsk," Madam Favela clucked her tongue. "Don't put it in such crude terms. I was merely providing a service for my clients."

"An illegal service," Edmund added dryly. "Which I might remind you is forbidden in our country, the royal British empire."

"Such limitations are utterly useless and unnecessary," the witch snorted. She observed Juliet carefully. "I don't see how this girl is worthy enough for that curse."

"What do you mean?" Juliet retorted, clenching her fists.

"You might not know from my appearance," Madam Favela cackled. "But I'm the finest witch in this county. My services are expensive and not everyone can afford it. Those who do usually spend it on more useful curses. Initially, I thought that you were perhaps the love rival of my client. Those jealous-struck ones are far and common."

"What are you trying to say about Juliet?" Jasper interrupted angrily.

Ignoring Jasper, Madam Favela shook her head. "You are nothing but an ordinary girl. I wonder why my client bothered to place a curse of you."

"You inso-" Jasper held up his hand, presumably to hit the woman but Gisors held him back. "Peace, Lord Jasper, we require her help," Gisors advised quietly.

"Ah, Gisors!" Madam Favela exclaimed, as if she was pleased. "Aye, it's been a long time since I last saw you. How are you lately?"

"Fine," Gisors replied curtly. His eyes shifted to Madam Favela and away.

Juliet frowned and gazed at Gisors suspiciously. Was he the one behind her poisoning?

As if sensing her suspicions, Gisors turned to her and bowed. "Lady Juliet, fear not. I was once casually acquainted with Madam Favela but I've ceased all interaction with her since years ago."

"Why, how can you put our relationship so casually!" Madam Favela cackled. She turned to Juliet and laughed. "Gisors was an apprentice to my teacher who was a witch herself as well."

"Gisors!" Juliet exclaimed. "How can you betray us?"

"I did not," he replied resolutely, staring ahead.

"He did not, little girl," Madam Favela snorted. "He was too principled and he left my teacher to set up an apothecary practice. I assume you're still continuing that foul, legitimate business of yours?"

"Yes, I am," Gisors muttered.

"Can we get on to the actual business?" Edmund cut in in a steely voice. "Madam Favela, I'm sure you're as worthy and experienced as you've claimed. Perhaps you can do us a favor and show us your magical ability by removing Juliet's curse?"

Grunting, Madam Favela gestured to Juliet. "Come here and sit on the chair."

Looking at Edmund who gave her a nod, Juliet cautiously approached the mad woman.

"Be brave, it will hurt." Madam Favela smiled evilly.

"Don't listen to her nonsense," Gisors answered. "She's just scaring you."

"Gisors!" Madam Favela said in a teasing voice. "Couldn't you have let me have a lil' bit of fun?"

"Stop your gibberish nonsense or I will stuff your mouth with cotton," Jasper snapped.

"Fine, fine. What an ill-tempered man."

Madam Favela took out a bottle from her pockets and smeared Juliet with the stick, yellow liquid. She closed her eyes, turning serious all of a sudden and started mumbling unintelligible phrases under her breath.

Juliet felt her entire body growing warmer by the minute. She wanted to open her mouth to speak but found them clamped shut against her wishes. Darkness started swirling around her and she felt dizzier by the minute. Could Madam Favela have tricked them?

Please get me out of here.

Suddenly, she heard someone clap her hands and her eyes instantly flew open. She found herself staring at the grimy face of the witch.

"There, it's done," Madam Favela proclaimed. 

"Are you sure?" Jasper asked skeptically.

Edmund walked over to Juliet's side and he whispered, "Do you feel any different? Are you alright?"

"I..." Juliet started. She didn't know how to explain but she felt stronger. Her limbs were no longer leaden but more agile. She felt normal for once. "I feel better." She smiled.

"Didn't I tell you that I'm not a fake witch?" Madam Favela snorted, clearly pleased.

"A reward," Gisors said monotonously, throwing her a coin pouch.

Madam Favela caught it and opened it hungrily. "Wonderful, wonderful." She made a kissing voice and got up.

"Hang on." Edmund held up his hand. "You owe us some answers."

The witch paused. Her eyes flickered to the coin pouch and she sighed tiredly. "Make it quick. I'm an aged woman who's tired in the body and mind."

"Do you know the woman who employed your services?" Edmund demanded. "And do not attempt to lie. I, for one, am trained to recognise the signs of a liar."

"No, I do not," Madam Favela muttered. "She turned up at my door and offered a high price for for my services. I merely did what she asked. I saw neither her face nor anything else."

"Did you notice anything queer about her?" Jasper frowned. "You're a witch, highly trained in witchcraft and deceit. Surely you would notice something at least?"

"I'm a witch." Madam Favela sounded annoyed. "Not a professional liar. Though you're right, my boy, we, as witches, do have ways of knowing certain things. All I recall is that she seemed like an unusually young woman."

"Was she poorly dressed?" Edmund asked.

"As I've said," the witch replied. "She was in a cloak that covered her entire body. I saw nothing. However..." she trailed off.

"However what?" Jasper demanded, clearly impatient.

"She seemed to know a great deal about this girl here." Madam Favela pointed her finger at Juliet. "For the curse, I needed to know the victim's age and personal preferences. She knew everything about it. Of course, I grew suspicious. I initially thought that she was working for the Queen and hence, I disguised myself and followed the woman after she left my house. I might be a witch but I'm not someone who wants to offend the authorities. For all I know, they might come to my house and burn me to death."

"You're a witch. How can you be killed?" Juliet asked curiously.

Madam Favela gave her a withering glance. "Ignorant girl. Don't you know? The only way to sacrifice a true sister of darkness is through fire."

"And?" Jasper interrupted. "What did you find out?"

"I didn't follow her very far but I saw her go into a fancy house," Madam Favela continued. "By that time, I decided it was too much of an effort to track her so I gave up."

"Which house was it?" Edmund frowned.

"It's that famous one." Madam Favela wrinkled her nose. "You know the one with the tall, bust sculpture in the gardens? What horrible taste."

Juliet froze. Everyone knew who owned that house. It was famous even by the society's standards because the Queen had paid a visit there before.

"Baron Cumbrust?" she croaked out. "Why would he want me dead?" Granted that he was a perverted old man but she hadn't reckoned that he was the murderous type.

"That's what we're going to find out," Edmund said seriously. "Your help is appreciated, Madam Favela."

"That was nothing!" Madam Favela laughed and eyed Edmund appreciatively. "You're a pretty one. Far more delish than that one there." She shot Jasper a distasteful glance though he didn't seem perturbed.

"If that lecherous fool has a hand in your poisoning," Jasper growled. "I will personally challenge him to a duel and kill him."

"Let's get going, m'lords." Gisor motioned to the door.

"Hang on, I need to ask Madam Favela something," Juliet spoke. "Could all of you leave us for a moment?"

Jasper looked as if he wanted to stop her but Edmund gave him a warning stare before they all filed out of the house.

"Now, lil' girl." Madam Favela gave her a toothy smile which was strangely disturbing. "I can tell from your look that you need a favour from me."

Juliet paused as the witch continued grinning. "I might remind you that you would have to pay a very high price if you were to engage my services."

"I know." She nodded. "I'm at my wits' end here and you're the only person who can help me."

"Name the request." Madam Favela cackled. "Has it got to do with marital issues with the dark and dashing lord just now?"

"No, it does not concern Edmund," Juliet replied. "And we're not married."

"That will happen sooner or later." The witch waved her hands dismissively.

Perturbed by the possibility that the witch could read the future but refusing to be sidetrekked, Juliet whispered, "Is there any way to remove a baby besides through an abortion?"

Madam Favela raised her eyebrows. "'Tis for your friend, am I right?"

Juliet widened her eyes. "How do you know?"

"You do not have the pulse of another life in you," the witch replied.  

"Do you have a cure then?" Juliet asked eagerly. "Can you perform magic to help remove the baby?"

Madam Favela snorted. "I will tell you two reasons why I won't help you. Firstly, contrary to popular beliefs, a witch can't accomplish everything. I can't interfere with matters of life and death. I can aid in the process but nothing more than that. Going to a second-rate doctor is your friend's only choice but I discourage you from doing so because those filthy doctors might end up killing her."

"And the second reason?"

"The second reason is that your friend won't want to abort the baby, no matter who the father is," the witch continued. "So don't go around harboring the idea. Your friend won't approve of it."

Juliet wanted to protest but it was true. Syvil was such a maternal person and she would never think of killing her own flesh and blood.

"I guess there's no other way then," she sighed.

"I've a question for you child," Madam Favela peered at her. "Are your parents Henry and Lillian Rosewood?"

"Yes," Juliet answered puzzledly. It had been a long time since someone brought up the subject of her parents. She no longer felt upset about it but it still made her heart break from time to time.

"You're their daughter," Madam Favela continued skeptically. "To think a handsome man like your father and a glorious beauty like your mother produced such a plain child. Still, you've your mother's red hair and your father's face shape."

"I'm so sorry that my lack of beauty offended you," Juliet gritted through her teeth. Of course, the insult stang but it no longer bothered her that much anymore. "Did you know them?"

"I dealt with them before," Madam Favela said.

Juliet frowned. "What do you mean?" she asked. Her parents weren't the type to deal with witches. And to imagine her regal-looking father standing in this filthy room was almost ludicrous.

"I've said too much." The witch waved her hands.

Suddenly, there was a bang on the door and someone called from outside. "Juliet, are you still in there?" Jas shouted.

"You should go." Madam Favela smirked. "The two gentleman must be tearing their hair out. They care a lot for you." She sounded almost wistful. "You might not know it but once upon a time, I too felt love."

"What happened then?" It was hard to believe that this foul-mouthed witch had embraced love as an emotion before.

"Nothing happened," Madam Favela snapped. "Now be off. I've spent too much time talking gibberish to you."

Juliet shrugged and got up before bowing. "Thank-you m'am," she said politely. Even though she had a bad impression of Madam Favela at first, the witch did prove true to her word and helped them. She deserved that least bit of respect.

Madam Favela grunted. But before Juliet could go out of the door, the witch spoke, "Treasure that boy."

"What?" Juliet turned her head. "What did you say?"

"That Edmund boy," Madam Favela muttered in a low, rough voice. "Treasure him. Happiness does not come easy. It's fragile and it always comes and goes."

Juliet stopped and stared at the witch. She didn't know why but she suddenly felt sympathy for her. It must be hard on her to be all alone in this house. Even if she was a witch.

"Thank-you, m'am," she whispered and walked out of the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 56.7K 76
At the end - 𝑯𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒕 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒔 ! Being married to only son of billionaire is like dream come true... ZAYDEN HA...
Cassandra By Tori

Historical Fiction

478K 21.4K 23
Lady Cassandra Whitlock, the sister of the wealthy Duke of Somerhall, knows what is expected of young ladies in the ton such as her. She is to marry...
1.6M 15.7K 14
Lady Laurel Abbington discovers passion and desire in the arms of two men- Lord Giles Rosehaven, a dashing young marquis in whose arms she feels safe...
181 76 12
After Evelyn has her heart broken by a guy who chose to run away, she ponders on what to do from there on out. She would question his whereabouts; wo...