Temporal Exploring 101 - Deep...

By CaitlinTureaud

Book Four of Temporal Exploring 101. 16-year-old Temporal Explorer Cathy Hart is doing her best to stay cal... More

Author's Note
IV.1 A wanton little thing, and always in trouble
IV.2 The Hounds
IV.3 Red wine and a falling star
IV.4 Tidings of victory and of things to come
IV.5 Doing Mallory Carmichael a favor
IV.6 No, you can't
IV.7 The one and only
IV.8 Natty keeps a low profile
IV.9 The case against forming emotional attachments
IV.10 A hearing before a committee
IV.11 The hearing, resumed
IV.12 Dancing in the rain
IV.13 Romeo and what's-her-name
IV.14 Things that do not make sense, and a warning
IV.15 Suddenly Juliet
IV.16 Emergency plans and the upcoming holidays
IV.17 Berkeley girl
IV.18 A toast to the revolution
IV.19 Late breakfast and a fair warning
IV.20 The Clarion Eye
IV.21 Madison in trouble, and an unexpected visitor
IV.22 A trip to the beach and an exercise in urban climbing
IV.23 Public nuisance
IV.24 We are not going to win, are we?
IV.25 End-of-holiday blues and a farewell party
IV.26 Why don't you all come visit me at Berkeley?
IV.27 Most excellent news
IV.28 Irregular verbs and a forbidden cave
IV.29 City of Light
IV.30 French kissing and the English way
IV.31 A chase
IV.32 Une bonne fessée
IV.33 Of witches, artificial gods and a great sorrow
IV.34 A memorable performance
IV.35 Flare
IV.36 The Adventurous Ones
IV.37 Her finest hour
IV.38 Not the cavalry
IV.39 Girls on the run
IV.40 Breakfast and a change of plan
IV.41 The witches' den
IV.42 Where it ends
IV.43 Genius girls and boy prodigies
IV. 44 The last stand
IV.45 Game changer
IV.47 Choices
IV.48 A moment in time
IV.49 Girls will be girls
IV.50 A ship at sea
IV.51 Advanced Physics
IV.52 Not into the sunset

IV.46 Your worst nightmare

116 18 10
By CaitlinTureaud

Natty and I were woken up by the sound of a digital alarm clock. The display said it was 2:45 a.m. We must have managed to fall asleep eventually, after all.

"Are you certain you don't want to return to your own time right away, Natalie and Catherine?" Larissa Montreve had asked us.

"And miss everything so afterwards we will never find out what happened?" Natty had shaken her head vehemently. "No way. Right, Cathy?"

"I'd rather stay and see how things turn out, too, if that is an option," I had agreed. "Unless that would be too dangerous, of course."

"There wouldn't be any risk involved," Brianna Vercours had reassured me. "Your transit would be triggered automatically if this building was struck."

So here we were, in Brianna's office, sleepily rubbing our eyes. They had set up bunk beds for Natty and me to sleep in, but both of us had staid awake for a long time.

"I just hope everything is going to turn out as planned," I mused.

Natty yawned. "I do not see what could go wrong. That is, unless"

She was interrupted by the computer-generated voice of the comsys.

"A vidconf is being requested by the alien mother ship," the voice informed us. "Do you wish to accept the incoming call?"

Natty and I exchanged a brief glance.

I cleared my throat. "Yes, we accept."

Almost instantaneously, a screen was projected on one of the walls. The display showed the familiar nondescript room with its five hovering metallic spheres.

"Greetings, Fogg unit," a pleasant voice said as one of the spheres blinked. "We would speak to the Montreve unit, if that is possible."

"Unfortunately, it is not possible," Natty gravely replied. "The Montreve unit is ... uh ... otherwise occupied."

There was no doubt in my mind that 'the Montreve unit' was currently in one of the huge halls underneath the City preparing for mass transit.

"That is indeed unfortunate. I take it that this means that your people still decline to accept our terms and conditions for your surrender," the voice went on.

"That is correct," Natty answered.

"Incidentally, who is the one standing beside you?" the voice inquired.

All of a sudden, I felt oddly nervous.

"Me? I am only the Hart unit," I hastened to inform them. "You may just ignore me."

"Don't mind if we do." I thought the voice was sounding vaguely amused. "Please be advised that as of now your people's Cities are under attack. Note that your continuing resistance will not accomplish anything. We shall acquire your time travel technology following our inevitable conquest of your Cities."

Natty yawned. "Well, yes." She shrugged. "Whatever."

It was less than a half a minute until 3 a.m. now. We watched the seconds being counted down on the clock displayed in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

"We are inclined to pity you, Fogg unit. Your people have brought you here from the past, and yet you have been unable to save them." Now the voice of the alien was sounding almost condescending. "Of course, when everything is said and done, you are, as your people are fond of saying, merely a girl."

"That may be so."  Natty grinned. "However, as it happens I am also your worst nightmare."

I winced. During her last brief visit to the 23rd century, Natty had watched a couple of ancient movies from the 20th and early 21st century. She must have picked up the phrase 'I am your worst nightmare' from one of these movies.

There was a brief pause.

"But we never sleep or dream." The alien voice sounded bemused.

"That may be a big part of your problem," Natty said, as we watched the seconds being counted down to zero. She smiled sadly. "I am sorry," she whispered.

Abruptly, the screen went blank. Through the huge windows of Brianna's office, we saw the night sky light up until it was casting an eerie purple light. The floor under our feet started to tremble.

Natty and I grabbed our bags. The last thing I saw before temporal transit kicked in was the bursting of those huge window panes and the caving-in of the walls.

*******************************

A / N : As usual I am looking forward to get your feedback, so please consider adding your comments or voting for this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 152 22
When returning to Canada for a friend's wedding, a dive instructor must face her judgmental mother and her ex, whose heart she never wanted to break...
2 0 1
Kate grammar is a boring loser who has stuck herself in a groundhog like a high school purgatory of aggressive boredom bound by her intense fear to t...
44.7K 1.7K 21
Kate has had enough of her demons and she is now looking for forgiveness, after two years of not seeing her ex girlfriend and former ex best friend S...
Ineffable By inerys

Teen Fiction

13.2K 1.4K 66
Nobody hates high school drama and rumors more than Iris Cooper. She avoids them at all costs. With five months until graduation, she plans to contin...