Blueberry Milkshake

CoffeeAndSilverInk által

"Oh, I didn't order this" "It's from that guy over there" ☕☕☕ One blueberry milkshake, a stranger sitting nex... Több

Intro
Prologue
Sunset
Sunrise
Sunrise
Sunset
Sunrise
Sunset
Sunrise
Sunset
Sunrise
Sunset
Sunrise
Sunset
Sunrise
Sunset
Sunrise
Sunset
Sunrise
Sunset
Sunrise
Epilogue
|Day 1|

Sunset

135 14 32
CoffeeAndSilverInk által

Chapter 3 - Baby blue dress

I'm a fashion icon, for real.

I know I already said that previously, and I wasn't lying, seriously. I have great taste. It's an undeniable fact.

So, where am I going with this? You may ask.

I just wanted to say that I look great right now. That any guy or girl would love to get a girl like me and that's exactly what I'm going to show him today.

Inside WOTT, my eyes scan the counter and then every table, but I don't see him anywhere.

Instead of sitting by the counter, as usual, I walk towards the line forming at the right end of the bar. There are two people in front of me and the first one is already leaving, so he better get here right now so I can show him I'm great without him, better than great, actually.

Am I being dramatic? Probably. Am I being petty? Definitely. Do I care? Not the slightest.

The line disappears in a matter of minutes and it's my turn to order.

Why is he not here yet? Is he not coming? Could he possibly not come today? Because I saw him with his boyfriend? Seriously?

Well, that's a shame. I won't be able to show him how amazing I look. This just proves that he didn't want me to see his little show of affection yesterday.

I step forward to order, but before I can say a thing, a voice that I recognise in seconds orders for me, "A blueberry milkshake, please. And a latte macchiato."

The girl writes it down and I feel his hand on my back like some sort of possessive gesture.

What the fuck does he think he's doing?

I turn around to tell him to fuck off, but he is paying, so I keep quiet a little longer. What? I told you I was feeling petty today.

When we get off of the line, drinks in hand, he drags me to a booth and I sit down too, just because he was a gentleman and paid for my drink.

"Fuck off!" I say, and he has the courage to smile. How dare he?

"Are you mad?"

Mad? I'm extremely hurt, that's what I am. I thought we had something!

I shrug. "Why would I be mad? Is there a reason for me to be mad?"

He takes a sip of his drink without breaking eye contact and then says, "According to your previous statement and this defensive behaviour, there must be."

I grip the plastic cup tighter. "My defensive behaviour? Are you a shrink now?"

He rolls his eyes and leans back in his seat. It was clear he didn't enjoy the way I was talking to him, but I didn't enjoy seeing him kissing other people, so there's that.

"If I didn't sit by the counter with you, it was because I couldn't stay longer," I explain. "You don't have the right to extend my time here. That's the reason I said what I said. Unless there is another reason for me to be mad?"

He seems unfazed. Maybe I sound like a teenaged brat to him.

I might be making this bigger than it is. He's just a guy, just a stupid guy. Yet I like him so much.

"About yesterday," he ignores me. "That kiss you saw wasn't meant for you to see"

"Don't worry, pal, I'm a big girl. I can handle people kissing. I know what gay people are. You didn't ruin my innocence," my voice is cold, but inside I am crying, "You don't own me a thing. I was just surprised you didn't tell me you had a boyfriend."

He leans forward. "That's the thing. He is not my boyfriend. I like someone else."

"Oh, so you're also a cheater. Awesome."

He shakes his head. "I'm not a cheater. It's complicated, okay? I don't like him. He's more of a distraction and he knows it," he explains. "I like a girl... I've seen her around a lot lately. We usually meet up in this coffee place..."

Nope, no way I'm doing this. He and his 'it's complicated' can do whatever they want, but I ain't getting involved in that mess.

"Yeah, well, that's great for you, a girlfriend and a lover. I wish you luck with that. See you around"

I get up, but he grabs my arm and I have to contain the part of me that wants to release myself and slap that pretty face of his.

"Wait, what I mean is... Would you like to go on a date with me?" he says.

I clench and unclench my teeth. "Bloody hell, do I look like some idiot to you? No, I don't want to have anything to do with you. I don't even know your name!"

He remained unfazed. "James, my name is James."

"That changes nothing! You still have that whole boyfriend thing going on and I'm not getting myself in the middle of it."

His grip loosens. "You don't have to. I'll stop seeing him."

I sit back down. I guess that's the whole point. "Would you really break up with him for me?"

"I will not break up with him because we're not together."

I never had a friend with benefits, so I wouldn't know.

"But you're going to stop whatever is going on?"

"Yes."

I am trying not to smile, but I couldn't deny I liked the assertive way he said it, as if he would much rather have this single conversation with me instead of having the other guy in his bed.

He grins and I ask impatiently, "Are you doing it or what?"

"I will." Then he asked me the 2 million dollar question, "What's your name?"

And that was it, the end of the magic of these encounters. I don't know if I prefer knowing his name or remain in ignorance.

"I'm Avery."

Just like that, the curtain fell, and I am me and he's him and here I am being dramatic again and I was going to end this with some cheesy remark, but I forgot.

"Avery," he pronounces it slowly, and it sounds like pure bliss on his lips. "Tonight at seven at Bip's."

I frown. "I didn't say I was going."

"I didn't ask if you were. But I'll be there, waiting for you. It'd be rude if you didn't show up," he says with a smirk. "Poor me, stood up by a girl in the sixth form."

I'm almost finished! And I'm eighteen! What kind of disrespect is this?

I grab my bag and got up. "If I'm such a joke, maybe I really should stand you up, right?"

James opens his mouth to say something, yet I don't even give him time to answer. I simply leave.

Soon, I was back at he-school! I meant school.

Courtney was waiting for me at my locker. We hadn't had time to talk yesterday, mostly because Jessica stole Court from me and we had no more classes together.

"So, Table Guy. Spill."

She didn't know about what happened yesterday, and I wasn't really in the mood to talk about it. Still, I summarised the story whilst grabbing my books for my English class with my second most hated teacher.

"James, I like it. Did he seem familiar to you?" she asks.

I shrug. "Yeah, but we probably saw him when we visited those universities last summer."

Jessica shows up when I close my locker, and she looks mad. "Courtney, what are you doing with this traitor?"

I blink. Did she just call me a traitor? I must be hearing things.

"What are you talking about, Jess?" she asks, eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"She didn't tell us about her boyfriend! What kind of friend is she?"

The type that likes to keep some things private...? It's not like I was hiding something! It's just that if I told them — with them I mean Courtney — everything would be more real and I'd get my hopes up and there would be a bigger chance that I would get hurt.

Is that such a problem to keep a low profile? If I thought we had an actual chance, I would've told her.

I could sense this wasn't about James, he was just an excuse for something she had against me. It's not the first time I feel she doesn't like me, but I cared little since it was mutual.

"Jess, it's cool. She's allowed to keep some things for her. Come on," Courtney defends me.

"If you want to forgive her, that's on you, but I'm not letting it go that easily," Jessica says before storming off.

Great, does that mean I don't have to fake befriend her anymore?

The day passed slowly, all teachers making me wanting to die. I got several calls during my last classes but I couldn't get them.

Before leaving, I had a talk with my Maths teacher about my grades. One poor grade and they come at me. Come on, does she know how hard is to be a good student and hating school at the same time? It's exhausting! I wouldn't put myself through this if I didn't need a scholarship so desperately.

I got home and asked Courtney to stay the night (so I had an excuse to ditch James), but she said she had some family dinner. I went straight to the kitchen to eat something. I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.

Mum doesn't get home before six, so I was startled when I heard her voice in the living room.

I grab a yoghurt and then follow her voice. She is talking on the phone with someone, telling him he shouldn't come and disturb me.

It was quite obvious who she was talking to, and I panicked immediately. I don't need this right now.

Father hasn't shown up in years even though he could have visited any time he wanted, barely making it to pay the alimony. Does he think he can just show up now and everything is okay?

She finally hangs up and noticed me standing in the doorway. I hug her right away. Turns out the calls I got were from her, to tell me dad was coming for dinner.

"He's here?" I was startled.

She nods. "He has moved here and wants to meet with you. Tonight."

"He can't," I say firmly. "He hasn't cared in ages! Why is he here now?"

"Avery, the fact that you don't want to see him won't stop him from coming. I tried to talk to him but he wants to see you." It was obvious it troubled her, and she never really had the guts to say no to him.

"He can't visit if I'm not here," I threaten defiantly.

She shakes her head and sits down on our small blue sofa. Our living room is the biggest in the house but it is still pitiful, only sheltering the TV and the sofa, barely having space for a centre table on the cream carpet.

"Whatever you're thinking, lying won't solve your problems."

I smirk. "I'm not lying. I have a date in... half an hour. So you can call dad and tell him not to come 'cause I'm going out. He should have warned us sooner."

Delaying this encounter with my father as much as possible would be best.

"You have a date?" her face lit up. She was always way more invested in my love life than I was.

I nod curtly.

"Is he cute? Is he kind? Is he a gentleman?"

"Mum!" I laugh. "Yes, he is very cute, and he is very nice, but I don't know if we should be together."

"Well, then find out," she shoes me to my bedroom to get ready.

So I take a shower that lasts too long. I put on a baby blue dress and simple makeup, trying to not look like I put too much effort into my looks.

Bip's is a restaurant not that far from my place. It is where the university students went to, so I never stepped inside.

My first impression was that it was too green. From the doors to the velvet cushions of the chairs, dark green decorated the large room, making me think of a grass field.

James was already waiting, sitting on a table in the back of the room, and his face lit up when he saw me. Maybe he was waiting for me to ditch him. Fair enough, I was going to.

"Why do they call it Bip's? What kind of name is that?" I ask, sitting down in front of him.

"Good evening to you too," he smiles. "By the way, you look beautiful."

My smile doesn't reach my eyes. "I know."

"Are you going to drop the act?" he frowns at me. "I'm sick of you talking to me like that."

I swallow. "Depends. How are things with the other guy?"

"I didn't get the chance to talk to him, but you don't have to worry about that."

He is scowling now. I was no longer used to see him like that; it made me recall the first weeks at WOTT. He was always quiet, minding his own business, and he never smiled.

We had dinner peacefully, trying to go past all the tension between us. If I could, I would have reset my mind to forget that kiss.

The night didn't last long. I was worried about my mom and didn't want to leave her alone for long, so when we left the restaurant and he asked me if I wanted to go somewhere else, I told him I couldn't and told him exactly why. We always talked about everything, no secrets. Until I found out he had them.

"That's fine. Do you want me to take you home?" he motions to his car.

I shake my head. "I live nearby, it's fine."

"Are you sure?" he presses.

Although I was all in for going with him, I didn't need mum peaking through the curtains to see him better as he dropped me home.

The wind is blowing my hair away and his fingers brush a few strands away. We are so close I can feel the warmth of his breath against my cold skin.

"If I kissed you now, would it be too soon?" he suggests.

I grab his hand and slowly pushed him off me. It was fighting against my instinct, the one that knew this was all I ever wanted. I am smarter than this and I will not be fooled.

"You have something to do first," I whisper.

You could say I am demanding too much, but I know my worth and I am not a toy he can play with. Either he wants me or him and I'm not in for the 'sometimes' thing they have.

He kisses my cheek before we depart. "Then I must hurry. Goodbye, Avery."

"Goodbye, James."

☕☕☕

Hey you guys!

I'm quite enjoying this whole thing of authors notes at the end of the story, even though 100% of you don't read it.

What did you think of this chapter?

Who's your favourite character so far? And least favourite?

(vxy hates Avery, dunno why)

Bip's is a made-up place that I named in honour of my great friend Bip who has no idea what I meant when I said I was going to name a restaurant after her.

Bip, honey, if you reached this far, congratulations, your English is not that bad after all!

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

71.4K 2.9K 27
I watch her when she walks in, orders the same drink - same size - and sits at the exact same table every single day. I don't think she notices me, s...
332K 11.8K 46
"And it took me a while to realize it, but everything I've had to go through in this life, all the pain and sadness I've had to bear . . . well, its...
262K 5.4K 49
"Tell me. Why won't you tell me?" He asks and I look towards him slowly, "You didn't even talk to me until yesterday! I'm trying to make it so nobody...
56.4K 1.9K 84
"You can't say stuff like that" I mumble, and he chuckles. "And why cant I?". "Because we're friends" I say, reminding both him and myself. I dont mi...