the bucket list | lrh

By lrhlust

Adeline Leonard had her name at every dinner table that early summer night. A tragedy that nobody could ignor... More

A/N
00 - the bucket list
01 - adeline leonard
02 - the mechanical bull
03 - in danger
04 - calum hood
05 - murderer
06 - help me
07 - friends
08 - scooby and the gang
09 - the song
10 - will i see you soon?
11 - michael clifford
12 - peter's peppers
13 - meeting someone famous
14 - broken
15 - room 207
16 - knee socks
17 - too easy to lose
18 - ashton irwin
19 - you want to fuck me
20 - never done this
21 - lost you for good
22 - so much more than adelines sister
23 - happy
24 - dinner
25 - a different state of being
26 - get off of me
27 - the morning after
29 - a wreck
30 - when in cali, act like cali
31 - we kissed
32 - not the right dream to chase
33 - girls and boys
34 - the meddling kids
35 - surprises
36 - the last peaceful night
37 - affair
38 - you seem a bit nervous
39 - webs unraveling/valentine ignoring
40 - july fourth pt. 1
41 - july fourth part 2
42 - july fourth pt. 3
43 - kissing someone at sundown
44 - home coming
45 - the birth certificate
46 - hornorable mention/kissing in the rain
47 - running away
48 - skipping a step
49 - rebekah leonard
50 - the explanation
51 - ties
52 - late night trip
53 - mary and calum
54 - maybe it'll be okay

28 - the texting

282 16 7
By lrhlust

Valentine was practically counting down the minutes until she could finally ship herself out of state with a boy she didn't even know that well. She was eager as ever, and the texting hadn't done much to ease her nerves.

The two helpless kids who seemed to be digging themselves into a grave hadn't been able to keep away, despite having tried for a few hours after they'd woken up the next day. Luke didn't want to overstep his boundaries, he really didn't. He wanted to keep things peaceful and maintain the harmony, but it was far too hard not to speak to the girl. So around one in the afternoon, he caved in and texted her spontaneously.

Valentine was fully emerged in a television show at the time, and almost completely missed the text. Had she not accidentally dropped her phone on her foot, she would've never checked the notifications to see Luke's name glistening there like a guardian angel.

She had let out a small squeal, though trying to keep herself calm even though Scout had already picked up on the strange noise.

Luke
Hey. Was thinking about you. When do you want to go on that trip? Dying to spend more time together.

Valentine took numerous deep breaths in thought as she carefully articulated her response. She'd wanted to make sure it was good enough for the blonde to take the time to read, but her heart was beating a little too fast at how blatantly flirtatious he was being.

Valentine
Nice to know I'm on your mind. The trip is ours to take as soon as you're ready to take on the task of my ability to sleep through long car rides.

Luke wasn't really prepared to read that. Honestly, he had already been trying to forget that he'd texted in the first place. He was still at Ashton's alongside Michael, and none of the three boys were sober enough to accept the task of talking to Valentine Leonard. Luke felt like he might just combust if he didn't respond though, so he hid his phone and typed away with a childlike grin plastered across his obnoxiously happy features.

Luke
Challenge accepted. What are you doing tomorrow?

Even the Lord would not know what words would adequately summarize how Valentine felt when she read the little slightly fuzzy words. The girl had been shoveling her fathers popcorn into her mouth in anticipation, and she nearly choked on a kernel once the suspense finally burst.

Valentine
You're like... kidding or something right?

Luke had expected a response along those lines. He knew catching the girl by surprise was a bold move, and it definitely lived up to his expectations. He couldn't help but crack a smile at her words, quickly typed out and sent as opposed to the former that she had taken two minutes at the least to draft out.

"What?" Michael asked, questioning the soft chuckle Luke had involuntarily let out. Valentine was just so damn cute to him, he didn't know what to do with himself.

"Nothing, mind your own business," Luke retorted, tone gruff and incomparable to the softened expression he held. The man was a lot of things, but in a bad mood whilst talking to Valentine was not one of them.

Luke
Yes, I'm kidding. How about the first? We could leave on the sixth

Valentine
Of July?

Luke
No, June.

Valentine
Anyone ever tell you that sarcasm killed the gorilla?

Luke
That is not the saying, Leonard. And I'm taking that as a yes. See you Tuesday.

And he wanted to stick to that plan. He really did want to ignore his overwhelming urge to see her again. He wanted to do the right thing, the thing Adeline would want him to do. He wanted to take things slow and make sure she was comfortable around him before coming on too strong. But two things to know about Luke are that he is stubborn, and really bad at resisting.

It was only a matter of days until he caved in again, texting the girl once the time was rounding to midnight. She had been laying in bed with Mary for hours talking about whatever came up, and she hadn't expected to hear from Luke. Initially, when her phone buzzed and she had to stand up to retrieve it from the dresser it was sat atop, she was annoyed. She figured Scout was just checking in to see if she was alright, but she was pleasantly surprised to see the blonde boy's number appear instead.

Luke
Two days :-)

Valentine
Is there a reason you're texting me during the ungodly hour?

Luke
Thought the ungodly hour was three in the morning, my bad. Are you up to anything on this fine Sunday night?

Valentine
Nope. Mary is over, but that's not very rare. What about you? No parties tonight?

Luke
Thankfully not.

Valentine
Why?

Luke
Well, mainly because I don't like parties. Also because my friends are annoying... and if I were at a party I couldn't be texting you.

Valentine
If you're referring to Michael and Ashton, I think they're wonderful. Who peed in your Cheerios? Also, you could easily text me during a party.

Luke
First, please don't imply my Cheerios have been pissed in. I am in my bed relaxing, my Cheerios are unpissed. And I know I could, but I wouldn't be able to give you as much focus and attention

That definitely had storms stirring in the pit of Valentine's stomach, and Mary could've sworn the brunettes skin had paled and then heated up again at least six times in a row. She didn't say anything though, because she had already figured out what was happening through a naive Valentine who didn't have her phone turned away far enough for Mary to be blocked from seeing it.

Valentine
Are you now?

Luke
Am I giving you my focus and attention? Or am I in my bed? Because if you're flirting with me, you don't have to be so subtle about it.

"What!" Mary spat, eyes widening at the suggestive text message she had accidentally overseen. Valentine dramatically withdrew her phone from the blonde's line of vision and tried to comprehend the message herself. He couldn't seriously be talking to her that way, right? She had no idea. She was also blissfully ignorant to the way Luke's heart was beating as she took a little longer to form a response.

Valentine
I meant the first one, but that works too. Are you flirting with me?

Luke
Not yet, no. I will leave you to your friend though, I hope you have a wonderful night. I'm going to head to bed

Valentine didn't have enough mental capacity to respond to that, and Mary was still poking at her to explain the previous messages she'd rudely invaded her way into seeing.

"What was that? You didn't tell me that you two fucked!"

"What?" Valentine suddenly turned to her friend, finally paying attention to the mindless words spilling out of her mouth.

"Val, the vibes in that text... I sense it!"

"We didn't have sex, Mary!" Valentine defended herself, throwing her hands up in a dramatic hand gesture. "Well, then explain that!"

After the texting that night, Luke actually stayed true to his words and passed right out. It had been his first full night staying home in a while, and he got some must needed rest that he didn't know he was missing. The morning following was rejuvenating, and he felt a little braver than the day before. The courage was short-lived, though. He had only gotten about half way through his day before getting a text from the girl that was practically torturing his poor overworked mind.

Valentine
Hey... sorry, I know I see you tomorrow and all. Just bored. What are you up to?

Luke
About to go run some errands with Michael. And by the way, you're never a bother... no need to apologize

Valentine
What kind of errands? :-)

There was no rhyme or reason behind Valentine's messages, other than the fact that she was curious and lonely. She had texted him rather spontaneously after having a rough day consisting of too much thinking and not enough smiling. She had stayed home that day, wanting to give herself a break from all the outings she was attending. She hadn't expected to get so down, though. It felt as if the world was closing in on her like usual, so she just wanted to talk to Luke and take her mind off of it. It almost shocked her that she was comfortable enough to text him, too.

Luke
Getting some supplies for tomorrow and he's picking up some medicine. What are you up to little one?

Valentine echoed the words aloud. Little one? That was new, and Valentine couldn't decide how it made her feel. On one hand, it seemed cute to her. At the same time, she felt like it was something the best friend of her older sister would say—not the Luke she had grown to know recently. It sent her back to a time when the two hadn't really conversed one on one, and that was something she didn't want to return to.

Valentine
Supplies?
And I'm not doing much of anything. Just been sitting at home for the day... little one?

Luke
Haha sorry, that was a little weird. You're just small
Supplies for the road trip. Snacks and such

Valentine
Should I be gathering supplies as well?
It wasn't weird, I just don't know what you mean by it. I'm not small.

Luke
That's a joke right? You can't even get into my truck properly
No need to gather supplies. I was a Boy Scout once, I got it

Valentine
Not sure if Boy Scouts learn how to take road trips, but I'll trust you.
And your truck is tall, I'm the same height as Adeline

Luke
Yeah, exactly. It must be in the genes. Boy Scouts learn everything, by the way

Valentine
Absolutely everything?

Luke
Every single thing in the world, girl

Valentine
So I'm demoted from little one, then?

Luke
I can't win. What do you suggest I call you?

That was a loaded question. Valentine had a million answers roaming around in her mind, but absolutely none that were appropriate for their strange friendship.

Valentine
How about Valentine?

Luke
No fun, no fun at all. What about February?

Valentine
What? Why would you call me a month?

Luke
Valentine's Day is in February, duh

Valentine
Absolutely not

Luke
you're not giving me much to go off of, baby

Baby? That was the winner. Valentine almost spat the remainder of her water out upon reading the seemingly innocent message. She couldn't possibly think of a better name for him to call her.

Valentine
Ding ding ding! That's the one

Luke
Hmm?

Valentine
You can call me that

Luke
You want me to call you baby?

If you could read tones through text, Valentine might just drop dead. The question should've been entirely plain and normal for two young adults who were slowly easing into some sort of romance, but for Valentine and Luke this was a huge step neither of them could tell if they were ready for. As much as Luke wanted it, he would never do something she didn't consent to. Even if that thing was as simple as a little pet name here and there, he wouldn't want to push her too far.

The idea of him being able to call her baby like she was his—somehow—excited and enthused him, though, so he definitely wasn't going to deny her if she agreed to it.

Valentine
Yes I do.

Luke was driving then, and knew better than to pull his phone out while doing so. Valentine never did get a response to the confirmation she had given, but she didn't mind that much. She—for once—liked the suspense that seemed to build up with every passing moment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

73.5K 1.4K 37
It's hard to be the little sister from a famous drummer. He's always on tour and you really miss him, but you have a best friend, Amy, who you know y...
11.6K 477 34
๐—”๐— ๐—”๐—ฅ๐—ฌ๐—Ÿ๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—ฆโ‹†ยทหš เผ˜ * -หห‹ ๊’ฐ luke hemmings ๊’ฑ หŠหŽ ใ€Œ in which joey is an actress and meets the love of...
602K 10.3K 44
"Fuck off" "Why do that, when I can fuck you? --- Two people. One bet. Who will the winner be? All rights reserved ยฉ 2014 Hemmoisapenguin(Despina)
10.6K 96 21
MOVING TO NEW ACCOUNT - @thatweirdokhai - ๐˜ผ๐™‡๐™”๐™Ž๐™Ž๐˜ผ ๐™ƒ๐™€๐™ˆ๐™ˆ๐™„๐™‰๐™‚๐™Ž, ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ด๐—ผ๐˜๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ป ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ ๐—บ๐—ถ๐˜€๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ฏ๐˜† ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ณ๐—ฎ๐—บ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ...