Moonlight House (Book 2, Lons...

By moudenes

Moonlight House, the "it" place to eat, have a drink, dance to great live music and meet new people, becomes... More

Chapter 1 - The Club
Chapter 2 - Purple
Chapter 3 - Surprise
Chapter 4 - Flairtending
Chapter 5 - Roommates
Chapter 6 - Safe
Chapter 7 - Sommer
Chapter 8 - Glow
Chapter 9 - Chocolate
Chapter 10 - Damaged
Chapter 11 - Crush
Chapter 12 - Sous Chef
Chapter 13 - Imperfect
Chapter 14 - Tea
Chapter 15 - Key
Chapter 17 - Compensation
Chapter 18 - Tried
Chapter 19 - Second Date
Chapter 20 - Sleep Talker
Chapter 21 - Red Blur
Chapter 22 - Birthday
Chapter 23 - Glass
Chapter 24 - Confessions
Chapter 25 - Dinner
Chapter 26 - Five
Chapter 27 - Grounded
Chapter 28 - Deli
Chapter 29 - Pink
Chapter 30 - Stitches
Chapter 31 - Back
Chapter 32 - Schedules
Chapter 33 - Movies
Chapter 34 - Truth
Chapter 35 - Next
Chapter 36 - Presents
Chapter 37 - (Un)Happy New Year
Chapter 38 - Flutters
Chapter 39 - Answers
Chapter 40 - Bed and Breakfast
Chapter 41 - Stars
Chapter 42 - Empanadas
Chapter 43 - Braveheart
Chapter 44 - Fifty
Moonlight House - The Playlist

Chapter 16 - Reasons

4.2K 249 28
By moudenes

NOAH

After checking on Jordan for what feels like the millionth time, I find him still asleep. Even though I covered him with a thick blanket, he still clutches to the tablecloth we gave him at the club. If it wasn't for the fact that I lost my virginity when I was nineteen, and he was born when I was fifteen, I would think he's my long-lost son. Now in the daylight, I see how much more he looks like me.

I close the bedroom door once more and get busy gathering the ingredients to make me a sandwich while browsing for some new songs on my laptop. I've done so many things already this morning. Esther's call woke me up at seven to ask me to come down to the police station. I left a note for Jordan, which I found on the same spot when I came back, and headed out. After giving a witness statement on what happened the night before at the club, I got asked to fill paperwork to get Jordan's temporary custody. A social worker went through the document and interviewed me to make sure I have the right qualifications to take care of him. She was pleased to find that I have a clean police record, own a house and have a steady job.

When she asked me why I wanted to be Jordan's guardian, the first thing that came to my mind was how my family was completely dysfunctional. I had a mother who barely showed emotions and an abusive alcoholic father with a gambling addiction. Nothing I did ever pleased him. He was quick to punish me physically or verbally for the most absurd reasons while my mother looked the other way. Not once she ever defended or protected me. The Sommers were my peaceful haven and the place where I felt loved, cared for, and where I was encouraged to follow my passions. If it wasn't for them, I would have probably ended in trouble just like Jordan's dad. I have experienced firsthand how a stranger can change your life for good without a reason.

My answer was satisfactory and she handed me a file with copies of Jordan's documents and information. She also helped me to fill in an application for financial aid that I assured her I didn't need, but she insisted. So, from now on I can act as his legal guardian. As such, I thought the best way to begin was by calling his school and talking to the director. The man was shocked to hear about the recent events and promised to notify his teachers. Jordan is further excused from school until he gets better.

I was almost on my way home again when I realized that Jordan had nothing else but the clothes on his back. It gave me a lot of pleasure to spend my money getting him clothes, toiletries, school supplies and shoes. The guy who helped me at the store probably got a juicy commission after helping me pick enough items for his wardrobe. I also got him a phone. Not a very expensive one, but it's decent enough.

The bedroom door opens and Jordan comes out. He's so pale that I think I will have to bring him to a doctor.

"Can I use your bathroom?" He asks.

"You don't need to ask for permission. It's the next door."

Jordan heads to the bathroom and looks lost about what to do next when he comes out.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Tired and dizzy."

"Eating something light will take care of the dizziness. Would you like a grilled cheese sandwich? I also have some fruit salad in the fridge. It's from the supermarket, but it's quite okay."

"A sandwich is okay."

"You can go back to bed and I'll let you know when it's done."

"It's okay. I can sit here."

Jordan takes place at the dining table and I believe now is the best time to update him on what happened this morning.

"I got your temporary custody and can act as your legal guardian. I also called your school and you are excused until you feel better. We have an appointment with your social worker here at the house in a few weeks to check how things are going and if we need any help."

"You won't send me back?"

The surprise on his face moves me to explain my plan. "Of course not. You can stay here with me for as long as you need to. I know we don't know each other at all, but we can work on that. For me the most important thing is for you to know that I won't hurt you, especially not like that perverted man tried to. Just be honest with me and show respect, and we'll be fine. Probably I will take a decision from time to time that you won't agree with but it will be only for your benefit."

"Okay."

"Also important for you to know is that the man from the foster family has been arrested. He told his wife you ran away, but then the police arrived. They asked to check your bedroom and found your bed sheets on the floor and the blood stains from your split lip on the carpet. He couldn't come up with a story fast enough to cover what he did."

"Will he go to jail?"

"Hopefully," I say and he gets tense, probably assuming he will be set free. "I don't have any additional details yet, but I'll share with you if I hear anything from Esther."

Jordan nods and shivers a bit. I come closer and place my hand on his hot forehead. "Let me get you some pills to get that fever down. While I do that, you might want to check those bags. I got you some clothes and stuff for school. If you don't like them, just put them back in the bag to return or exchange them. The guy at the store assured me that is what guys your age wear nowadays."

I go to the bathroom and grab a bottle of pills, when I come in the kitchen, I find Jordan with his head over his folded arms.

"Are you okay? Do you need to lie down?"

That's when I notice that he's not resting his head, he's crying. I'm torn between hurrying to his side and burning the sandwich. So I take care of the second as quickly as I can before approaching him.

"What's going on? Are you thinking about your dad?"

Jordan shakes his head and clears his tears. "I've never owned anything new in my life. At least not that I can remember."

I sit next to him and place my arm around his shoulders. "I know what is like to be knocked around by a parent and to live on the edge of poverty. You remember Erin from the club? The girl with the purple hair? Her parents took care of me. Gretchen, that's her mom, made sure I was fed and that I had clean clothes for school. Lars, her dad, encouraged me to do the things that made me happy and even paid for my guitar lessons. You also deserve to be happy and have support. I'm willing to do it."

Jordan's lip trembles as he's filled with emotions once more. My heart breaks because I know how he feels. He calms down and I hand him a paper towel to clean his face.

"We'll make this work. Apologies in advance because I have no training on how to parent," I say, trying to lighten the situation.

"I'm sure you'll do a million times better than everybody else. At least you know where I come from. Growing up all I heard were people saying I have no future. That I will become like my father or end dead like my mother," he says between sniffles.

"Now you will be surrounded by good people. All my friends will want the best for you. I have the best of friends and they are my family. I'm sure they'll give me a hand taking care of you. You saw how Erin behaved last night."

"Erin hugged me. She didn't know me and she hugged me."

"Because that's the kind of woman Gretchen raised her to become. She's full of love and willing to share it. You'll see for yourself. Do you want to see what else I bought?" I ask and he nods.

Jordan and I look through his new belongings while he eats the sandwich I got out of the grill on time. He seems to like everything, especially the sneakers I got him.

"You'll need some boots soon as the weather is taking a turn, but you should pick those yourself. I also got you this," I hand him the box of his new phone.

"You got me a phone? Don't you have a land line?"

"I do, but I want you to have a way to reach me when you are not at home. I'm usually at the club or supervising difficult plumbing jobs. I trust my crew, but sometimes our clients like to have the boss around. You can call me to pick you up after school or to bring you somewhere. During school days, I would like you to come to the club so you can have dinner and I can check your homework. I'll bring you home afterwards. You are welcome to use my computer and printer for school work."

"Thank you. For everything."

Jordan smiles and I'm glad I could give him hope for his future. Just like he said, his birthday is on Halloween, and I want to speak with Erin and the guys to give him a good birthday party. We can set up something in one of the VIP lounges, maybe he can invite a few friends if he has them. Who would have ever thought I'd be planning a party for a boy I met less than 24 hours ago?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.3K 124 18
18 year old Emily and her mom moves to a new city. She has to face new challenges by finding new friends, going to a new school and finding a job. A...
524K 11.3K 45
PUBLISHED - Link in bio πŸ’• The summer after her sophomore year in college, Mia takes time to heal after a failed relationship. In an attempt to move...
1.8K 1 80
Following your dreams and making new friends and finding love along the way