SWEET SERENADE | MARVEL

By sukibenders

"You are the love that came without warning; You had be heart before I could say no." book one part of the ch... More

( SWEET SERENADE )
( ARTWORK GALLERY )
( EPIGRAPH )
( PLAYLIST )
i. PROLOGUE.
ii. CHAPTER ONE
iii. CHAPTER THREE
iv. CHAPTER FOUR
vi. CHAPTER FIVE
vi. CHAPTER SIX

ii. CHAPTER TWO

123 13 66
By sukibenders

_______________________

a sign from the goddess bast.

THE SOFT, DREARY DRIZZLE sound of the rain had flooded through the apartment, pattering against the smooth glass of the windows leading to the fire escape, which Kenna found could be in need for a slight tune up given the way the metal seemed to creak with almost every step she took. For something she was supposed to trust to save her life, it wasn't very trustworthy. She wouldn't even dare to put her plants out there, rather, having them lined up against the wall.

Aniyah wasn't too much of a fan about the arrangement, eyeing the rows of plants that practically shrouded the living room space with pursed lips. Muttering under her breath about how she couldn't wait for the wretched fire escape to be fixed before they were either overrun by fauna, or metal caved way underneath them when one of them rested their weight on a weak spot. They could end up like Mrs. Carson on the fifth floor, poor woman nearly having a heart attack from situation and chewing the landlord a new one.

"Are most American living spaces run by lazy bums who rather charge their residents high prices, rather than work to accommodate their needs?"

Kenna glanced from where she stood beside her snake plants, hand grasped around a spray bottle filled with water. "From what we are living through at the moment, I assume so. It is rather sad."

"It is. I do not see why we can't simply find a place more fitting? Such as with more space, an owner willing to go above and beyond when needed, and, oh, did I mention more space?" Aniyah questioned.

"You know why," Kenna said, dousing her plants with a gentle spray. Her hands ran over darken green edges, humming a rhythmic symphony under her breath in her native tongue. The leaves of the plant, as if sensing her prescence, curved in alert and drew close to her hand, soaking up the energy sprouting from it. "at least until I finish my intern year, than we'll find a new place."

The warrior woman did not seem impressed. "Does this have to do with the fact that you are keeping that friend, of yours you work with, under the belief that your parents would send you a check if you had done so?"

When Kenna had first met Clementine Stewart she had come to the conclusion that the woman was a bit of, what some would call, a spitfire. Her vibrant blue eyes seemed to light up at every counter of a challenge, whether be within her job or instances in her life in general. And while Kenna had found that trait admirable, it did make her even more conspicuous around the woman when it came in regards to her home and family. The brief little synopsis she had given her was this: her parents were well known physician and a lawyer, who through hard work had been able to earn large accumulations of wealth. Through this, with the promise of completing her intern year, they would send her check to keep her secured for a few months while she adjust to the change. Kenna, to make it seem as if she wasn't simply just getting by, had added some small details of rebellion that, for the most part, all of which weren't completely untrue.

"That, among other things." I was tired of living under my father's shadow? I simply wanted to gain a form of my independence? "But come on, it isn't that bad. At least we have are own rooms, so sharing a bathroom isn't to bad."

Aniyah let snort that she attempted to cover under the pretenses that it was a sigh when Kenna, tilting her head slightly towards the windows, spoke. "I see your back."

Both women drew their attention to a shadow that had scattered across the windowsill, tangling itself in the linen of the curtains before leaping to the floor. Yellow calico eyes peered back at them before small cry filled their ears.

"Yes, I sure you are hungry given we how long you were gone." Kenna regarded the cat, eyes scanning its black fur for any apparent wounds or scratches as it purred, brushing up against her thigh. Upon finding none, she gestured over to the kitchen where a double sided bowl resided. "Well go on an eat before you become a nuisance for Aniyah and I the rest of the night."

A meow bellowed out from the animal's throat before it rushed off to fill its stomach. The cat did not belong to either of them. Kenna had stumbled upon it while on her way back from work, nearly jumping out of her skin when it raced across her legs had her enhanced hearing not picked up the sound of its heart beat. After inspection, she had discovered that it was not only a male but also did not have a collar. From the looks of its skinny frame, she was sure it had probably been living on the street for some time. She didn't really bother to give the cat a name, other than cat, because in Kenna's mind that meant she had necessarily adopted it.

And she couldn't take care of a cat.

"I like the name Kano," Aniyah hummed, scratching behind the cat's ear. "He'll need a name some day. A name other than cat."

"That would mean that he's mine," Kenna stated, moving around to walk towards the couch. "And he's not."

Aniyah pursed her lips as she watched the cat stroll over to Kenna, clawing to jump into the young woman's lap. Her eyes drifted towards the bowl that rested beside a crate of cat food, along with a few toys. "Right, he's definitely not your cat."

Kenna scowled at the woman, flickering away only to turn on the tv.

"Maybe this could be a sign from the goddess Bast-"

"A sign for what?" Kenna interrupted, having a feeling that she already knew where this was going. Granted the look she received in return, a groan fell from her lips. "I can't believe this."

"It's bound to happen sooner or later," Aniyah sat on the armrests of the sofa. "His Majesty is very adamant in speaking to you. The General tells me he worries."

Kenna massaged her brow. "Yeah, I guess he would." She sighed. During their last conversation, Kenna did leave abruptly. And the conversation hadn't been all to calm either. But she did learn that there was a reason for that, one outside of control at the time. Still doesn't explain why she was drawing it out though. "Maybe this is a sign from Bast?"

The cat howled in response, curling at her feet.

Kenna would of had said something else, had not her eyes caught on to an image printed on her tv's screen. Her heart seemed pulsed increasingly, pumping more blood throughout her body, bringing about a sense of warmth that was opposing to the rush of ice that caked her veins. Doe brown eyes so familiar, unseen in so long but ever present in her memory. Windswept, tossled brown hair- though slicked back by grease to keep a manner of professional appearance. However, the manner of which the picture was taken read otherwise. With messy clothes and cheeks flushed, along with auburn haired woman dangling off his arm.

The headline read: Tony Stark spotted with the same red head from three nights before. What could this mean for the famous playboy?

Her lips were feverishly as Kenna drew her teeth into them, studying the image before her. It had been years, but within that moment, with the sharp jeering in her abdomen, it had felt like only a day had drawn by as she stared the way he gazed at the woman on his arm. They had been apart before she had even begun her internship. So why had she suddenly felt like that wide eyed, and naive girl from her past?

"Maybe this is a sign from Bast."

_____________________________

I'm back!! Though, not really sure if anyone reads this, but anyways, here's an update! I know things were kind of slow in the beginning, but due to writer's block I wasn't sure what to write. I hope this explains it.

But here it is. I can try to promise that things will pick up within due time, but at least Tony has made somewhat of an appearance and causes Kenna to realize that maybe....she's not so over him as much as she had thought. Also, the auburn haired lady? She's gonna make a few more appearances down the line, along with a few other things that tie into this story.

Kenna is definitely a cat person, and, though she won't admit it, that's her cat. Also, Aniyah seeing straight through her? She already knows Kenna after years of acting as her personal guard.

And, if you caught it, Kenna was using her powers near the plants and when discussing about her last encounter with her father and how things didn't go so well, but were out of her control. She will eventually go to see him and fix things, but that's going to be after Tony is kidnapped and her powers start to go haywire, causing her to need help from certain people 👀....

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this update as, until for the next couple of weeks I'm gonna be taking exams and (hoping) that I did well on my math one, which is stressing me out. Burnouts are a real thing, and they've been my best friend since as long as I can remember (I don't have healthy coping methods when it comes to certain things, so I have to work on that).

dedications!
-katebishops, -BUZZFEEDUNSOLVED, solarasociety, daisysjohnsonx, @-lxcifer, capmxrvel, kaiparkxrs, kneeclouds, solobarnes

Remember to stay safe and healthy!

©sukibenders.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.9K 190 40
A huge thank you to @_DefinitelyOllie_ for making the new Book cover! If you've seen the old one, you know it looked like it was made by a baby! Fea...
127K 2.8K 32
I USED TO BE A CHILD, WITHOUT A CARE IN THE WORLD. ~a lot has changed. Sometimes our scars aren't physical. While emotional scars aren't visible they...
539K 23.1K 38
Steve and the reader have a tumultuous relationship, made worse by his past with Peggy Carter, a traumatic injury with lasting effects, and an unlike...
331K 13.7K 10
❝Your scream could literally obliterate a whole city.❞ ❝That's why I try not to do it.❞ [the avengers] [book one in the delilah caldwell series] [cov...