Calista Lake (GirlXGirl)

By SkylarJapera

Calista never thought she would return to the dreadful town Black Oaks after her father committed suicide. Bu... More

Welcome Home
My Last Breath
Scary Monsters & Evil Spirits
Afraid
You Need Me, I Don't Need You
Enemies
Stop Looking, Start Seeing
Hearts A Mess
Another Day
Together
Awake
Bedroom Hymns
Rebellion
Eyes
Lost Tree
In 4 the Kill
Say You Love Me
Fire

Glowing

7.4K 378 35
By SkylarJapera

Chapter 14

Calista stands, looking out the window. She pulls the blanket over her shoulders tighter and watch the full moon over the lake. She use to do this as a child. The soft wind would always make her sleep better. But the house, her house wasn't the same. It was cold. Calista shivers and then jumps in fear when someone touches her shoulder.

"Sorry." 

Calista sighs. It was Eleanor. Always to the rescue.

"What's wrong?" Eleanor asks.

"Nothing." Calista turns from the window and make her way back to the bed where Stella was sleeping peacefully in the center. It was odd sleeping on the outside and not between the two but Stella needed the extra attention and groping. Calista pretends she doesn't hear but she hears everything now.

She hears Eleanor soft sighs as Stella rubs across her body. She could also hear Eleanor telling Stella to stop quietly that they could awake her but she was always already awake. But it seem it was the only way for Stella to sleep without any nightmares of her parents and little brother.

"I'm fine." She pushes getting beneath the sheets. 

Eleanor chews on her lower lip in worry and slips back underneath the sheets herself. Stella rolls over, her hand instantly going beneath the band of her underwear. Eleanor sighs and then slowly falls asleep herself.

<><>

Tala kicks Colin in the side making the other boy groan before rolling over. "Get up." She orders.

"Why?" Colin slurs, sleepiness still in his voice. Jean mumbles something and he tries his best not to wake his girlfriend who was sleeping soundly in his arms. "Can we sleep in for once?"

"No." Tala scowls.

Colin frowns looking up at his girlfriend sister. He really wished for once that the leader would relax. "The sun hasn't even come up yet. The Four isn't even up."

"That bothers me." Tala folds her arm over her chest looking around the cold house. "I don't feel safe underneath the same roof as them."

"We need them." Colin pushes. "Stop pretending like we don't."

Tala scowls, ice forming around her knuckles. Colin shakes his head and pushes Jean away softly. He then grabs the nearby pillow putting it in her arms. He grins while watching her pretend the pillow is his body.

"Let her sleep in." He whispers.

"Whatever." Tala replies but she mentally agrees. Her little sister was barely keeping up in this long journey. She was strong but sometimes Tala wondered was this life for her. Colin and Tala creeks through the old rusty house and before they could reach the front door someone voice was stopping them.

"Leaving so soon?"

Tala frowns turning around. Calista. She rolls her eyes. 

Calista walks down the steps with Luna behind her. The two Reins was heading to the back to train. She was curious to know why their guest was awake.

"We're going to get our things." Colin explains.

"Okay." Calista shrugs not caring much. "Be discreet."

Tala bites her tongue. There was no point in repeating the events of last night. She throws her hood over her head and walks out the door with Colin on her heel. Tala then stops on the front porch. "Stay behind. I don't trust them with my sister."

"Then why did you wake me?" Colin whines.

"Because." Tala hisses. "I need you to be alert."

"Fine. Be careful."

<><>

Luna and Calista make their way back inside the house. "You should try being nicer to them." Luna says to Calista who is drench in sweat because of their morning run. She rolls her eyes and ignores Luna.

However, the red head grabs her wrist. "We need them. No matter how much you want to believe we do not."

"I know." Calista replies. "I'm just having a hard time trusting others outside the circle."

"I get it." Luna says. She knew after the Ian situation it was going to take a while for Calista to start letting people in.

<><>

Tala quickly rush back and enter the living room. She notice everyone sitting down. She takes a seat on the other side right next to Colin and her sister. They all seat in silence and she could feel the tension.

"We apologize for last night." Luna says. "We're all just a little on edge and we don't trust easily. But we are grateful for your help."

Scarlet scoffs sarcastically, "Yeah, I'm grateful for that concussion."

Luna squeezes her thigh instantly making the Spanish Rein relax.

Tala watches everyone intently before saying, "So, where is this book?"

"The book is at my grandmother house."

"Why is it important?" Tala questions.

"It will teach us how to get our physical powers quicker."

"You don't have your physical powers yet?" Tala asks in complete shock. "What the hell have you all been doing?"

"Tala." Jean softly call her name.

"She has a point, Jean." Colin speaks up. "We came here hoping you all would be battle ready. You're not."

Scarlet snorts looking at her nails in boredom.

"This isn't funny!" Colin hollers.

Everyone eyes widen. 

"People have died for you." Colin hisses. "And you're treating this like a joke."

"Stop whining." Scarlet rolls her eyes.

Colin growls and Scarlet instantly stands taking it as a threat. "You want to go at it!"

Tala rubs her temple in annoyance. She risked her life for these immature assholes. She politely stands catching everyone attention. "Come on." She orders. "We're leaving."

Colin and Jean immediately stands following her lead. The three then head for the front door but Luna chases after them ignoring Scarlet.

"Wait. I know we're not what you expected but this is what you have."

Tala chuckles, running her fingers through her wild hair. "You're all gonna die. This is out of our control. You can't beat him with only your mental powers."

"Then help us find the book."

"Help yourselves." Tala replies.

"What would your leader think?" Luna hisses.

"He's dead." Tala scowls. "It doesn't matter."

"You're lying." Luna argues. 

"I don't have to argue you with." 

"You need us as much as we need you." Calista speaks making herself known. She walks fully out on the porch. Tala frowns and crosses her arm over her chest while leaning on one hip in a mocking manner. 

"We don't need you." 

Calista sighs. "Stop lying to yourself. We are all running from the same man. Let's put our differences behind us and figure out a way to beat him."

"She's right Tala." Jean says. "I'm tired of running."

Tala frowns. She was tired of running also. But was dying for the Reins really worth it. She looks at her little sister. Jean deserved a normal life. She deserved to get married and have children. But she knew that wouldn't happen if they were running all the time. We could manage. She ignores Calista and continues to walk away.

"You're a coward."

"Trend carefully Rein." Tala hisses her lip snarling in a threaten manner. Ice forms around her knuckles and the wind becomes chilly. 

Calista rolls her eyes. She wasn't intimidated at all. "You're running because you're a coward. You didn't come here to help us. You came here to be protected because we are the most powerful of all."

"You're nothing but babies." Tala sneers. "You don't even have your eye color."

Calista scowls. Eye color? She didn't even know what that meant. Eleanor was the only one with a unique eye color. The goldish glow that would capture anyone attention. 

"That doesn't matter."

"It does matter." Tala argues. "Your eye color means you're evolving or in other words getting stronger. You won't be ready for him. Facing him will be suicide."

"Then help us." Calista hisses. "Help us get to the book."

Tala shifts, "Why should I?"

"Because then your leader wouldn't have died for nothing."

Tala frowns. She squeezes her fist to control the ice that wanted to be released. It was painful trying to control it. But the Rein had hit a soft spot. Tala grits her teeth. Jean grabs her shoulder softly and Tala sighs. "Fine. We're gonna die anyways."

Calista smirks.

<><>

The walk to Eleanor grandmother house doesn't take long. They rush down the steps. Tala looks around the old dusty home, her nose turning up. She stares at all the old artifacts and run her fingers across a few old novels.

"Do you remember your past lives?" She questions curiously.

"No." Eleanor replies. "That worries me."

"Our master told us a few stories."

This gain Scarlet attention. "Really? Was I badass?"

Tala shrugs, grabbing a book and flipping through the pages. "You all were."

"Found it." Eleanor grins. She opens the secretive book and furrows her eyebrow at the unknown language. "Stella." She calls.

The white haired Reins rushes over.

"Do you understand this?"

Stella scans the book quickly. She frowns unsure. A few seconds later everything becomes clear. Tala sneaks a glance and explain, "That is an ancient text. Only the Four can understand it."

"I see." Eleanor replies shoving the book in Stella hands. "What does it say."

"It speaks about a circle...

"Yeah skip that part." Eleanor flips through the pages. "What does this say?"

"Um, it speaks about Physical Powers. A Guardian has to be present. A circle has to be performed and blood will connect the circle making the bond stronger." Stella explains.

"That's all it says?" Tala asks.

"Well, it explains that the stronger the bond. The stronger the circle." Stella replies.

"Everything is build off of emotions." Eleanor says.

Tala rolls her eyes.

"It makes sense." 

Everyone turns to Calista who is wielding an ancient sword. "I was able to teleport because of sadness and anger. When I channel anger and think of a place I am able to teleport. Lately, I have only been able to go so far."

"You've been using your physical powers and didn't tell us." Eleanor sneers.

Calista glances Luna way.

"You knew!" Eleanor spats.

"You lied?" Scarlet scowls sounding more hurt among the group.

"It was a experiment." Luna defends. 

"Well we're not totally dead." Tala says. "We should take the book back. Wanna teleport us?" She jokes.

No one finds it funny.

<><>

Everyone walks into the main room. Stella continues to translate the book for Eleanor and the Guardian Witch notice that the ritual they have to perform is not difficult at all. Calista sits down next to Luna and whispers, "Sorry. I shouldn't have ratted us out."

"It is fine." Luna replies. She glances across the room and notice Scarlet was avoiding her. She bites her lower lip in shame. Calista bumps her shoulder and say, "You should talk to her. She can't stay mad at you for long."

"She hates secrets." Luna pouts. "I knew that and I still lied."

"You didn't lie."

"It's all the same." Luna sighs.

Calista catches Eleanor eye and notice the aggravated scowl. "You're not the only one in trouble." She mumbles to Luna.

Colin makes his way over to the two girls and grins, "So telekinesis and teleportation. That's cool."

"I guess." Calista shrugs.

Colin sits in the nearby chair. "You guys are weird."

"How is that?"

"You're all the most powerful people in the world but it seems as if you don't notice."

"I don't feel that way." Calista replies. 

"That's funny." Colin chuckles.

"What?"

"Well, in your past life. You were very cocky in your ability."

Calista laughs.

"Yeah." Colin smiles. "The most feared actually. There was stories that you could set anyone in flames just from the thought. Scarlet could freeze a village with a flick of her wrist, Luna could melt your body from a single touch, and Stella lured you in with her beauty. She would hum and bring anyone to a painful death."

"Wow." Luna says. 

"Yeah, but you guys didn't kill unless it was necessary." Colin explains. "But Calista you were the hardest to control once pissed off."

Luna nods her head but her attention is on Scarlet. She watches the Spanish girl who is sitting on the other side of the room painting her nails in boredom. She had an attitude and it was all her fault. She takes a deep breath and make her way over towards the other Rein.

Scarlet looks up and scowls. She squeezes her eyes shut, before standing and storming out the back door towards the lake.

"Scarlet wait!"

"I don't wanna talk about it, Luna. Stay away from me."

"Please." Luna begs. 

"I said stay away from me!" Scarlet screams turning around her eyes twitching. Luna stands her ground and flinches from the inner pain. She looks up at Scarlet and says, "I'm not running away from you."

Scarlet eyes soften and she hurries to Luna, who was in the moment of catching her breath. "I'm sorry." Scarlet grabs her hand giving it a squeeze. Once Luna catches her breath she bite her lower lip in shame. 

"I'm sorry." She mumbles. "I shouldn't have lied."

Scarlet scowls. "You shouldn't have." She then plays with her fingers. "I do everything you ask. Everything! And you betray me, for who? Calista! I swear that bitch-

"This is not Calista fault." Luna says. 

"Fuck her." Scarlet throws her hand in the air. 

"Scarlet...

The Spanish Rein shrugs away from the smaller red head. "Fuck you too."

"You don't mean that." Luna whispers, hurt evident in her voice.

Scarlet sighs. She moves her wild, curly hair from her face. "I don't mean that." She twist her feet in the dirt. "But- It's hurts."

"I'm sorry." Luna could see that Scarlet was generally hurt and it was her fault. "Scarlet." She grabs her hand again. This time the other Rein doesn't pull away. "Look at me." Scarlet turns around and look down at the smaller girl. "I'm sorry."

"You said that." Scarlet rolls her eyes annoyed. 

"I just didn't want to worry anyone." Luna explains. "It was just an experiment."

"Whatever."

"Scarlet, listen to me!" Luna hisses.

"I would have." Scarlet replies. "But now I just don't wanna hear your excuses."

Scarlet then pull her hand away and walk back into the house leaving Luna alone.

<><>

Back inside in the house Eleanor pulls Calista into the kitchen away from everyone. She was upset and Calista prepares herself for her wrath.

"You should have told me!" Eleanor hisses.

"It was only a silly experiment."

"A silly experiment that could have gotten you and Luna hurt." Eleanor sneers. "I'm your Guardian for a reason."

"Yeah, to protect." Calista frowns. "Not to order me around."

Eleanor squeezes her fist annoyed and offended. "What is your problem?"

"Nothing." Calista scowls. "Look, I didn't tell you because you've been having other things to worry about."

"Like what?"

"Nothing." Calista rolls her eyes trying to get away but Eleanor grab her shoulders and pushes her back into the cabinets with more force than she intended. Calista groan and then scowls trying to control her sudden need to hurt the Guardian in front of her.

"Let me go." Calista hisses. "Before I do something I will regret." 

"No." Eleanor voice softens. "I'm sorry." She rubs up and down Calista arms and then plead. "Talk to me. I'm not angry."

Calista chuckles.

"I'm not angry anymore." Eleanor says smirking slightly.

Calista looks up and notice how close Eleanor is. She bites her lower lip and sigh, "We didn't want to worry you. That's all." 

Eleanor lets out a long drawn out breath and then say, "Okay."

"Okay?" Calista questions.

"Yeah, just tell me next time okay."

Calista smiles, "Okay. Thanks for not hollering at me."

"Mhmm. Whatever. You deserve it." She grabs Calista hips softly. "I wish you would start trusting me."

"I do."

"I think you're lying again." Eleanor weakly smiles. "You and Luna are awfully close now."

"Let's not get jealous." Calista jokes poking Eleanor in the side. 

Eleanor frowns, "I'm not jealous."

Calista laughs. "I was joking. Plus, you have Stella to worry about. My problems don't matter."

"This is what this is about?" Eleanor says cocking her head to the side. She grabs Calista hand and give it a light squeeze. "Your problems matter to me." 

"She needs you more." Calista whispers.

Eleanor grabs Calista cheek. "I'm not going to have this discussion with you Calista. You know I care."

"I never said you didn't." Calista frowns pulling her hand away,

Eleanor sighs. And they was back to arguing. "I'm here."

"Yes, you are."

"Calista just stop! You're making it seem as if I'm giving Stella more attention. Like I care for her more"

"Your words not mine."

Eleanor wanted to scream. Calista could be so difficult at times. "You know what your problem is?"

"Tell me."

"You push everyone away!" Eleanor sneers hating Calista boredom expression. 

"That's why they leave huh?" Calista hisses her expression changing rapidly. Eleanor flinches. "Tell me Elle! Tell me why everyone fucking leaves. My mom, my dad, my brother...Tell me. It's my fault right." She pushes Eleanor out her face with so much strength that Eleanor has to brace herself. 

"Lis."

"Don't!" Calista sneers. The kitchen begins to rumble and Eleanor knew she had to get Calista under control immediately. Her hands was trembling and her eyes. Her eyes were glowing.

"She has her color." Tala says.

"Get out!" Eleanor orders.

Tala rolls her eyes and takes a step back from the powerful Rein. Colin and Jean was close behind her. 

The kitchen table begins to float in the air and the cabinets continues to slam violently. "Calista." Eleanor calls her name again stepping forward but Calista throws her hand out and stop her. Eleanor struggles to move. She was trapped in place. Calista looks around and then disappears before everyone eyes.

"What did you say to piss her off?" Tala snorts.

Again, no one finds it funny.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 180 53
Starting over is tricky, specially when you decide to do it in the same place you lost everything. It might work or blow up in your face. Some call i...
4.5K 140 28
Penelope's newly returned first crush, Victoria, is distant. But she has good reason to be distant - she's secretly a vampire, and people in the town...
318K 17.4K 24
Kaden turned out to be a rebel, always causing trouble in school, pulling pranks on her teachers, she's waiting to find her mate so she can take the...
816 20 20
This story is actually from a song which is about one girl trying to convince herself that people have it worse than her and that she didn't need to...