Awake

Chapter 11

"Calista."

Calista looks up from her plate of eggs and pancakes. She moves her fork around the plate not taking a bite of anything. 

"Why are you not eating sweetie?"

Calista pouts up at her mother and say, "I'm not hungry." Her mom smiles and pulls out the chair sitting down. "You know how mommy hates liars." Calista pouts further and explains, "I'm nervous about school. My first day wasn't eventful." 

Calista watches her mother bend down in front of her. "You're a special girl Calista. I promise you're going to find a special friend because my little five year old-

Calista chuckles and cuts her mother off. "Is the best five year old in the world and when I turn six-

"You will be the best six year old in the world." Her mother finishes kissing her daughter on the forehead.

<><>

"Can you do it." 

Stella sighs while shutting her eyes. "I'm trying to concentrate but you all are distracting me."

"You've been trying to do this for days and nothing is working!" Scarlet spat. "This was your brilliant plan Stella."

Stella rolls her eyes and snaps, "Do you have any other ideas because this is all I got. We need her. You heard Eleanor. They will be here soon and we won't be able to defend ourselves and protect Calista. So do me a favor and back the fuck up. I'm trying."

Scarlet throws the glass into the wall making Luna jump. Eleanor just sits at the table rubbing her temples before saying, "Let's give her some space."

Scarlet rolls her eyes and then grabs a bag off the floor. "We need some supplies anyway. I'm gone."

Once everyone leaves the room Stella sighs. Finally silence.

<><>

Eleanor sits around the huge table with Calista family and laugh. Calista had invited her to dinner because of the incident that happen with the bullies today. Calista was a good friend even though she didn't want anyone to notice.

"So you're Calista best friend no one could ever meet." Calista father speaks looking at Eleanor. Eleanor blushes and nods her head not speaking. Calista rolls her eyes and punch her father in the arm. Eleanor watches the interaction Calista has with her family and for a second she is envious. She only had her grandmother who she loved dearly.

"What did I say about playing at the table." Calista mother puts a bowl full of potatoes down on the table and Calista, Kobe, and her father race to grab it first. Kobe wins and Calista whines, "Come on. Don't get all of it."

Eleanor continues to watch Calista and her father scream at Kobe for taking all the potatoes. Calista mother disappears into the kitchen and Kobe pass the potatoes to his father skipping over Calista. "Ass-holes." Calista mutters underneath her breath.

Kobe and Calista father snickers and Eleanor eyes widen when Calista mother steps back into the room and ask, "What did you say young lady?"

"Nothing." Calista replies quickly.

"You know how much I hate liars." Her mother replies.

Calista sighs and whispers, "Ass-hole."

"Speak louder and clear."

"Ass-hole." Calista grumbles looking up at her mother. For first time in her life Eleanor sees fear on Calista face. The brown skin teen bites her lower lip before saying, "Sorry." Kobe and her father continues to snicker but Eleanor could tell they didn't want Mrs. Lake to see they was enjoying this.