Ending of the Hours (Book Fou...

By WritersBlock039

The Master is dead. The Year That Never Was is just that. The Year That Never Was. Martha is gone, and so is... More

Ending of the Hours (Book Four of the Bad Wolf Chronicles)
Prologue
Voyage of the Damned
In The Halls of Gemsamoria
Partners in Crime
Dimensions Apart
The Fires of Pompeii
When Not Many Live
Planet of the Ood
Nightmares and Tea Time
The Sontaran Stratagem
The Poison Sky
Failed Attempts
The Doctor's Daughter
New Beginnings
The Unicorn and the Wasp
Quick Author's Note - Important!
Things Left Unexplained
Silence in the Library
Forest of the Dead
Promises To Keep
Midnight
Shatterpoint
Turn Left
Dimensions Closing In
The Stolen Earth
Journey's End
Three Dimensional Crash
The Next Doctor
A Night To Remember
Planet of the Dead
At The Raven's Beck and Call
The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith
Trips With Separate Ways
The Waters of Mars
The Fall of the Tenth and the Second
The End of Time Part 1
The End of Time Part 2
Epilogue
Rising From The Ashes

Rewards

4.4K 172 94
By WritersBlock039

Jenny Nightshade took a dive and rolled behind a scaffold, hoping the Sontaran shooting at her wouldn't notice. Then she saw a black woman bolt past, followed by a ginger woman, both in SHIELD uniforms. She scurried after them to see them join a man in a blue uniform, shield raised to block falling debris. "I told you three to stay behind!" Steve Rogers snapped.

"Well, you looked like you needed help," Martha Rogers-Jones answered, ducking down by him. "Besides, you're part of the reason I got coaxed into SHIELD."

"Yeah, and this is a Sontaran," Saleen Harper added. "A dumpling with a gun."

"No place for a married woman," Steve added.

Martha smirked. "Well, then, you shouldn't have married me."

Jenny giggled, when a bang from above made them all look up.

The Sontaran on the catwalk above them slumped to the ground, revealing the Bad Wolf standing there, one of her swords clutched in her hand, she holding it by the blade so she had hit the Sontaran in the back of the neck with the hilt. The Doctor came up behind her, both of them looking down. The Doctor gave a small nod, the Bad Wolf a weak smile, before they both headed off.

"Mum!" Jenny screamed. "Dad!"

Saleen swallowed, pulling Jenny closer. "It's over," she breathed, realizing what it was. "Jenny, it's over."

"No," Jenny choked out, burying her face in her hands as Martha and Steve joined the hug, all of them listening to the sound of the TARDIS fading away. "No . . . "

***

"That was the maddest Christmas ever, Clive!" Luke Smith laughed into the phone as he walked with Leo Fitz and Jemma Simmons, Jemma cooing the raven she held in her hands. "Mum still doesn't know what happened. She got Mr. Smith to put out this story saying that Wi-Fi went mad all across the world, giving everyone hallucinations. I mean, how else do you explain it? Everyone with a different face - "

"Watch out!" Fitz shouted as a car drove towards them.

But two people rammed into them, getting them off to the side. Fitz rubbed his shoulder, turning to thank them, when he saw the Doctor and Jessie backing away, a limp in Jessie's step. "Doctor?" he asked. "Jessie?"

"But it's you!" Luke gasped as Bran squawked, seeing his mistress. Jessie gave a small wave before she took the Doctor's hand. "You're - !"

"Sarah Jane!" Jemma called, putting a hand over her mouth as she realized just what was going on if they were ignoring them. "Sarah Jane!"

"Mum!" Luke called as well.

"What?" Sarah Jane asked, stepping out onto the porch. "What is it?"

"It's them," Fitz answered. "The Doctor and the Bad Wolf."

Sarah Jane gasped, looking over to see both of them in the TARDIS. The Doctor waved sadly, and Sarah Jane swallowed as they disappeared.

***

"Why did we let you choose the bar?" Natasha Romanoff grumbled as she slammed her glass down next to Captain Jack Harkness's, Clint Barton on his other side.

"Thanks for letting me," Jack muttered. Ianto Jones, the third member of the Torchwood team to be killed, had died, leaving it with just him, Gwen, and the two Avengers. All he'd needed was a drink . . . which had turned into a few more.

They were startled when the bartender dropped a folded piece of paper in front of them. "From those two over there," the bartender said.

Jack frowned and looked up, and his eyes widened. The Doctor stood there, his arm around Jessie tightly, her trembling and looking pale, the Doctor looking like he was trying hard to stand still. Jack slowly looked down at the paper and unfolded it.

His name is Alonso.

"Look," he told Clint and Natasha.

They looked over to see the Doctor and Jessie, both of them giving small smiles. Clint turned as a young man in Edwardian naval gear sat down next to them before smiling. He waved to the two in the corner, Natasha as well, but Jack gave a full blown salute. Jessie gave a small salute back before they turned to go. Jack then turned to Alonso and smiled. "So, Alonso, going my way?" he asked with a charming grin.

Alonso blinked. "How do you know my name?" he asked suspiciously.

Jack smirked. "I'm kind of psychic," he answered.

"Really?" Alonso asked, sounding amused.

"Yeah," Jack nodded.

Alonso tilted his head. "Do you know what I'm thinking right now?" he asked slowly.

Jack laughed. "Oh, yeah."

"We'll leave you to it," Clint smirked, holding out a hand to Natasha and leading her onto the dance floor as Jack downed yet another drink.

***

"No, it's not just a story, no," author Verity Newman was saying as she signed copies of her book, A Journal of Impossible Things. "Every word of it's true. I found my great grandmother's diary in the loft, and she was a nurse in 1913, and she fell in love with this man called John Smith. Except he truly loved another woman, named Johanna Rossini. They were visitors from another world. She fell in love with a man from the stars who couldn't love her back, and she wrote it all down."

"Thank you," the man in front of her said as he took the book.

Verity took the next book offered to her. "And who's it for?" she asked.

"The Doctor and the Bad Wolf," the man in front of her answered.

"To the Doctor and the Bad Wolf," Verity mused, signing it. "Funny. That's the names they used . . . " She broke off, looking up, her eyes widening to see the very man and woman in front of her, both of them smiling at her.

"Was she happy in the end?" the Bad Wolf asked gently.

"Yes," Verity nodded slowly. "Yes, she was." She tilted her head. "Were you?"

Her only answer was two smiles.

***

"You really do look lovely," Phil Coulson said to Donna as she exited on Shaun's arm.

"You do," Wilf nodded, kissing both of them as Melinda May smirked, walking out of the church behind them. "Everybody, three cheers!" Wilf shouted. "Hip, hip - "

"Hooray!"

"Hip, hip - "

"Hooray!"

"Hip, hip - "

"Hooray!"

"And the Doctor and J were supposed to be here," May said.

"You know the Doctor," Coulson shrugged. "Probably just got the date wrong."

"Right, come on, then, you lot," Donna ordered. "This photo is just with friends. Come on! And I want all of you in it. Come on! That's it!" May rolled her eyes as she was tugged in with Coulson. "Well, friends and Nerys." The blonde woman glared at her, and Donna rolled her eyes. "Oh, I'm only joking! Oh, look at her!"

"You made me wear peach!" Nerys complained.

"That's because you are a peach!" Donna teased. "Furry skin, stone inside, going off."

"OK, smile," the photographer ordered.

Suddenly, a blonde head poked itself between Donna and Nerys, and Jessie grinned at them. "Not too late if it's friends, yeah?" she asked with a smile.

"Bad Wolf!" Donna gasped when her husband appeared on the other side, both of them smiling. "Oh, get in here!" she ordered, tugging them closer, Coulson and May giving real smiles this time. "All right, now we're ready!"

"Smile!" the photographer ordered.

"Cheese!" they said in unison.

Jessie smiled as the photographer took the picture before the smile slid from her face, and she took off towards the TARDIS at the end of the yard, cringing and putting a hand to her chest as she felt the regeneration energy start to even her hearts out. The Doctor took her arm to help her, when Donna shouted from behind them. "Oi! Where are you going off to?"

"Yeah, aren't you going to stay?" Coulson asked.

But Wilf smiled. "And here you are, eh? Same old faces. Didn't I tell you you'd be all right?"

"Be all right?" Donna echoed, confused. "What do you mean?"

"Doctor, what's happened?" May asked.

"Oh! They've arrested Mr. Naismith," Wilf added. "It was on the news. Crimes undisclosed. And his daughter. Both of them, locked up. But I keep thinking, Doctor . . . there's one thing you never told me. That woman. Who was she?"

"Woman?" Donna repeated. "What woman?"

"We never meant to stay," the Doctor told them sadly. "There's only so much we could do. But we could give you this." He handed an envelope to Donna. "Wedding present. Thing is, I never carry money, so I just popped back in time, borrowed a quid off a really lovely man. Geoffrey Noble, his name was." Donna's head shot up, her eyes wide and swimming in tears as Sylvia put her hands over her mouth, starting to cry as she recognized her husband's name. "Have it, he said. Have that on me."

Donna swallowed. "Thank you," she whispered, giving them hugs. "Thank you so much."

"Doctor?" Coulson asked, making the man look at him. "Is it time?"

The Doctor slowly nodded. "Yeah. It's time."

Coulson gave Jessie a hug, followed by May. "Keep yourselves together," he ordered.

Jessie smiled tightly. "Yeah, we will," she said, nodding. "Bye."

When she stepped inside the TARDIS, she saw Wilf giving them a salute as they left.

***

"I'm late now," the First Bad Wolf complained as she and Skye walked down the snowy path of the Powell Estate, heading back to their safe house. "I've missed it! It's midnight! Saleen's going to be calling me everything! This is your fault."

"No, it's not," Skye denied, shaking her head. "It's Jimbo. He said he was going to give us a lift, then he said his axle broke. I can't help it."

"Get rid of him, Skye," the First Bad Wolf sighed, turning to her. "He's useless, and he's not Ward."

"I know," Skye sighed. "Be fair, though. With this job, I don't think I'm going to do much better."

"Don't be like that," the First Bad Wolf said firmly. "You never know! There could be someone out there."

"Maybe, one day," Skye admitted before grinning. "Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year," the First Bad Wolf laughed. "Don't stay out all night."

"Try and stop me," Skye threatened.

They laughed, and Skye headed off towards the street. The First Bad Wolf smiled and headed towards the Powell Estate when she heard a noise behind her. She frowned, turning to see the silhouette of a man behind her. "You all right, mate?" she asked with a frown.

"Yeah," the Doctor nodded.

"Too much to drink?"

The Doctor had to grin at that. "Something like that."

"Maybe it's time you went home."

"Yeah."

"Anyway . . . " She grinned. "Happy New Year!"

"And you," the Doctor nodded with a smile. The First Bad Wolf turned to go when his voice stopped her. "What year is this?"

"Blimey, how much have you had?" the First Bad Wolf laughed, turning back to him. "2013, January the first."

"2013," the Doctor mused before smiling, glancing in the direction of the TARDIS. Blimey, his Bad Wolf was brilliant. This was the year where she joined him, only a few months before. "Tell you what. I bet you're going to have a really great year."

"Yeah?" The First Bad Wolf considered that before giving him a smile. "See you."

She took off towards the Estate, and the Doctor smiled one last time at her.

***

The Second Bad Wolf smiled from where she stood watching on a scanner, watching her past self run off. It was a wonder why she thought her husband had looked a tiny bit familiar. Now the memory was slotted in place -

She cried out in agony, dropping to her knees, desperately trying to hold in her regeneration until the Doctor made it back. She didn't see the Doctor do the same thing.

It was nearly their time.

***

I nearly cried during the part with Jenny. :( And you all know what happens next.

Final hint for who the next Bad Wolf is, and the one that should give her away: she portrays the main female star in the Percy Jackson film series.

You should know now. ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197K 6.2K 29
Planet Earth. That's where she was born. It's also where she died. The first time. For the first fifteen years of Jessie Nightshade's life, nothing h...
39.3K 2.1K 24
~Book 1 in TenRose "Journeys" 2 part fanfiction. (The Slow Path ~ Long Way 'Round) Rose is not happy at all when the Doctor left her for 5 hours on a...
30.1K 1.5K 18
After weeks of just the five of them, the Doctor, Jessie, and their three companions are called back into action to finally take out Brock Rumlow - a...
109K 3.3K 28
The Doctor may have regenerated, but it doesn't mean a thing to his daughter, Annakamara. After all, as long as she has her father, she knows she's s...