Riding With the Elves // Lego...

By Mimi_Lind

With a secret mission to marry an elf, Wynne must join Legolas' and Elvenking Thranduil's new quest as a hors... More

Introduction
1. An Unpleasant Assignment
2. Meeting the Elvenking
3. Choosing Horses
4. Showing Skin
5. The Brown Lands
6. Fighting Orcs
7. Drinking with Elves
8. Hard to Sleep
9. One of the Team
10. Braided by an Elf
11. Tracking Warg Riders
12. In Captivity
13. Five Hunters
14. Elves to the Aid
15. Finding a Map
16. Drinking with Elves (again)
17. Hopes Crushed
18. Daydreaming in Emyn Muil
19. Mysterious Footprints
20. Tiny Orcs
21. To Kill or Not to Kill
22. Elvish Pedicure
23. Watching Topless Elves
24. It Always Rains on Camping Trips
25. An Uruk-hai's Childhood
26. New Babysitter
27. Fighting a Troll
28. Finding a Healer
29. Orc Medicine
30. Tripping on Poppy
31. Apologies and Explanations
32. A Tempting Suggestion
33. A Secret Relationship
34. Perhaps Not So Secret After All
35. Dirty Thoughts
36. Orc Farming
37. Puppy Love
38. The Ballad of the Ring
39. Knowing One's Heart
40. Riddles and Lakes
41. Fighting a Lake Monster
42. The Tale of the Fellowship
43. Sightseeing at the Anduin
44. The Living Marshes
46. Meeting an Old Friend
47. Meeting a Lady Dwarf
48. Cheering Up an Elf
49. Preparing For a Party
50. A Furious Elvenking
51. Love and Desire
52. To the White City
53. An Unexpected Meeting
54. Mother Knows Best
55. Thruths Revealed
56. Pride and Vanity
57. An Unfair Ultimatum
58. Battle of the Titans
59. Plans Undone
60. Writing a Letter
61. A Fond Farewell
62. Home to Greenwood
63. Home to Rohan
64. An Elvish Wedding
65. A Visit From Adar-in-law
Epilogue

45. Osgiliath Rebuilt

590 38 46
By Mimi_Lind

~ In Osgiliath Wynne sees lots of tall(?) dwarves and at Faramir's residence Nugu draws attention. ~

45. Osgiliath Rebuilt

Traveling along a well-kept, large road proved a lot faster than riding in the Brown Lands or the rough terrain of the Emyn Muil. Normally they could cover ten leagues at the most, but here they would make closer to fifteen a day, which Wynne measured by counting the big, square leaguestones along the way.

The scenery was varied and interesting. To the east she mainly saw farmlands at first, but soon they encountered expansive animal pastures with cows, sheep and even horses grazing in large herds. No mearas, of course, those would hardly have consented to stay behind fences.

To the west, the Anduin became so wide they couldn't see the other shore. According to the map, however, the land of Anórien was situated there, a northern region of Gondor nowadays.

They stayed in roadside inns during the three nights spent on the Osgiliath Road. Since no innkeeper was likely to accommodate an uruk-hai under his roof, Nugu wore his hood up to cover his face and carried the kids tucked in under his cloak every time they checked in at these establishments. But he almost didn't need the disguise – with the elves around, all eyes were continuously drawn to them. Still, just in case, Thranduil made sure nobody was allowed to enter Nugu's and Sidra's room, even servants.

With time, hopefully the peace treaty would be signed, and maybe then it would become possible for orcs and uruk-hai to move freely in the world of men, but it would probably take a long time before the prejudices against that race were entirely gone – if ever.

Wynne slept luxuriously well in the hostels, in her own room, no less! It was a blessing to finally have a real bed, eat nice meals, even take a hot bath for a few extra coins that Thranduil generously provided. Meanwhile, the horses were fed strong, nourishing fodder and groomed by able stablehands.

The last inn they visited was located near Cair Andros, a wood-clad island in the middle of the river, which Legolas told them had played a part in the War of the Ring. Here an army of orcs had hindered the Rohan riders who came to aid Gondor. But the clever Rohirrim, led by the mighty King Théoden, had taken an old, secret path through the mountains and thus made it in time to the Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

When they came closer to Osgiliath the traffic in the road increased further and the bypassers' stares really began to grate on everybody's nerves. They increased their pace even more, eager to finally be among people who knew who they were and why they had come.

There were more buildings here and Wynne watched them with curiosity, used as she was to the open plains of northeastern Rohan. The closest to a city she had been in before was the local marketplace. Here she saw farmsteads, two-storey houses, finer villas with pretty gardens, busy workshops, and simple stalls where peddlers tried to sell their goods.

Word of their arrival must have preceded them. Before they had reached the outer wall of Osgiliath a group of city guards came to escort them the rest of the way. The men were elegantly dressed in tabards with a pattern of white stars evenly scattered over the blue fabric, and in their scabbards hung long, straight swords.

A tall, black-haired man with a neat beard, bowed eloquently to the Elvenking. "Welcome to Osgiliath, Your Majesty. I am Beregond, Captain of the White Company. Prince Faramir awaits your arrival and has prepared rooms for you in his residence."

Legolas, who had been riding last in line, slid off his horse and went forward, a hand across his heart in greeting. "Beregond! It is very good to see you."

"Prince Legolas!" He bowed again, a wide recognizing smile on his lips.

"You look well, Captain. Tell me, how are your wife and sons?"

"All good, all good. Bergil is serving down south, in the prince's country estate in Emyn Arnen, but Borlas still lives at home with us. He's talking of becoming a guard like his brother and I, but we'll see. His mother thinks he should take up trade. But here I babble away, let us get going. There will be a grand feast waiting for you when we arrive!"

With the guards walking on foot, the last part of the journey took over an hour, but Wynne didn't really mind; the sights, smells and sounds of the city fascinated her.

Vatna's hooves clattered loudly on the paved street, the echo amplifying between the walls. Most of the buildings were constructed in stone, save a few wooden ones painted in light colors. The houses were high enough to shadow the streets in an almost eerie way, forcing her to crane her neck to see the roofs with their multitude of pointed turrets and pinnacles. Everything was clean and fresh, it looked brand new.

It struck her that it really was brand new. Osgiliath had been wiped to the ground by Sauron's forces during one of his many attacks on Gondor in the past. It seemed near impossible that all this had been rebuilt so soon after the war ended!

She marveled at all the people too; there were so many of them, more than she had met in her life before – gathered here, in one place. It was a bit intimidating and made her feel small and insignificant. It didn't help that they too, like the people on the road, only had eyes for the elves.

The crowd consisted of humans for the most part, but farther into the city they encountered more and more dwarves.

Wynne had imagined dwarves to be very short, like children, but this proved not to be the case. These looked to be her own height, some even taller. And with their broad shoulders, strong hands, big feet and rough features they appeared larger still. Every one of them had a beard, and not just any whiskers either, their facial hair was impressive. Long and wide, intricately braided and richly decorated with jewels. Their clothes were a sight as well, made of expensive materials and trimmed with fur and gems. Some dwarves were obviously warriors or guards, carrying armor and big axes, but most toiled in various workshops along the street.

"Lord Gimli's people have been exceedingly helpful to rebuild our city," said the captain, noticing Wynne's curious looks. "Those you see in this street are blacksmiths and tool craftsmen, but in other parts of the city there are carpenters, masons, painters, furniture builders, tailors and even toymakers."

Thranduil snorted rudely at that and his icy glares in the dwarves' direction were clear evidence of his contempt for that race. His feelings were reciprocated, judging by their badly hidden hostility as they watched the elves ride by.

Prince Faramir's city residence turned out to be a white, elaborately crafted mansion with pointed windows, pillared arcades and a rounded set of stairs leading up to a gate with double oak doors. It was located in the central part of the city, surrounded by an open plaza with a fountain. A statue stood on a dais in the clear water, carved to the likeness of two handsome men. One was straddling a prancing warhorse, a sword in one hand and a horn in the other. Beneath him, the other man gripped his leg in a comradely gesture and held a rod of office in his free hand.

"Boromir." Legolas looked up at the rider, his face melancholy again.

"Indeed." Captain Beregond had followed him. "The prince's beloved brother, and beside him their father Denethor."

"I cannot see why he would elevate that man thus." Legolas frowned at the other sculpture. Then he turned to the captain with a smile. "Thanks to you, he survived that man's madness. It should be you up there."

The captain laughed and shook his head. "No Your Highness, the steward was a good ruler until he lost his mind, he deserves his son's love and remembrance. And I did only what any loyal guard would."

Before Legolas could answer, a roar made them turn back to the mansion. Down the stairs came a dwarf running, two steps at a time despite his short stature.

Legolas jumped off Stelpa and closed the distance between them in long strides. They met just below the stairs in an embrace that made Legolas' feet leave the ground and he seemed dangerously close to getting his ribcage cracked.

"Laddie!" The dwarf put the elf down and held him at an arm's length, observing his fair face. "Ah, 'tis good to see ye! Still a strapping fella, ain't ye. Nae aged one bit."

Legolas seemed too full of emotion to reply. He just stood there, smiling, eyes misty, while he listened to the warm, rumbling voice of his friend.

"I missed ye, ma lad. Been far too long." Gimli kissed Legolas soundly on both cheeks and ruffled his hair, disarraying his braids. "Glad ye came before I left. I'll be going back to ma home in a few weeks, ye see. Ye remember the Glittering Caves, I'm sure – I knew ye liked 'em too." The dwarf turned his gaze to Thranduil who still wore the scornful sneer he had kept the entire way through the city. "So, this must be yer pa, then. I ne'er was allowed to meet him when I visited ye. I can see where ye get yer good looks from." He nodded at him. "G'day King Thranduil."

"Master Gimli." He dipped his head so slightly it was barely noticeable.

The dwarf's hearty countenance turned frosty and his chest swelled in indignation. "Ah, but to ye, 'tis Lord Gimli," he huffed.

Their interaction roused Legolas. "Ada, Gimli, please. None of this."

The dwarf and the elf looked like they both fought an internal battle, until finally Thranduil yielded.

"It is a pleasure to meet my son's friend, Lord Gimli." Somehow he even managed a thin smile.

"The pleasure's all mine, sire." The dwarf bowed. Stiffly, but properly.

The double doors of the mansion opened again, this time to let out a middle-aged man and a gorgeous woman of thirty or so. The woman's golden curls cascaded down to her shapely bottom, and on her arm a little boy shyly hid his face in her ample bosom.

"Welcome! Do come in," invited the woman in a melodious voice. Even her smile was lovely on pink, shapely lips.

Wynne could almost feel her face turn green with jealousy.

"Prince Faramir, Lady Éowyn." Legolas bowed to each.

Wynne's jaw dropped. This stunning apparition was her childhood hero? Slayer of the Witch-King, Shieldmaiden of Rohan. Éowyn certainly didn't look at all like she had imagined.

"She is beautiful!" There was awe in Sidra's whisper. "And such a sweet child. Do you think he and Muzadi can be friends?"

Nugu didn't reply, his eyes were fixed on Lady Éowyn too and his mouth slightly open.

"Stop that," his wife snapped, giving him an annoyed shove.

He flinched guiltily, his hood falling back.

Captain Beregond gasped, eyes widening in recognition. In less than a second his sword was drawn, tip pointing straight at the uruk-hai's throat.

"How dare you bring an orc here!" His voice was contorted with anger.

A/N:

Éowyn has it all... She's beautiful, kind and a badass fighter. Quite the Mary Sue! ;) I bet Tolkien didn't know that term, though, or care – for which we are grateful!

A note about dwarf height: They are shorter than Wynne thinks. Find out why in the next chapter. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.6K 1K 12
What is it like to love someone who holds you prisoner? Nellie has always lived her life helping her mother and three brothers. She has never really...
32K 1.3K 20
Aeolin of Lothlorien has been traveling across Middle Earth for a little over a hundred years. After a loss struck her heart, Lothlorien was more of...
4.5K 200 8
A Haldir Story
313K 11.8K 22
"You talk too much elf-boy," Arya muttered, her voice hoarse from all the screaming she had done due to the pain of her injuries. Legolas scrunched u...