Memories

Galing kay Ecape7

"She was right there ... in my arms ... dying." Two years have passed since Anakin Skywalker's mother died, a... Higit pa

Chapter 1.
Chapter 2.
Chapter 3.
Chapter 5.
Chapter 6.
Chapter 7.
Chapter 8.
Chapter 9.
Chapter 10.
Chapter 11.
Chapter 12.
Chapter 13.
Chapter 14.
Chapter 15.
Chapter 16.
Chapter 17.
Chapter 18.
Chapter 19.
Chapter 20.
Chapter 21.
Chapter 22.
Chapter 23.
Chapter 24.
Chapter 25.
Chapter 26.
Chapter 27.
Chapter 28.
Chapter 29.
Chapter 30.
Chapter 31.
Chapter 32.
Chapter 33.
Chapter 34.
Chapter 35.
Author's Note: Thank You!

Chapter 4.

283 10 8
Galing kay Ecape7

Anakin's POV

__________

I took a deep breath, then let it out slowly. I was standing on the landing ramp of our ship, my bionic hand holding onto one of the silver struts along the side, unwilling to let go. In just a few steps, I would be setting foot on the very planet on which my mother had died. And our search was taking us near Mos Espa, my hometown. But I had a job to do, and I needed to get my head in the game. It was easier said than done.

My fingers slipped off the strut as I stepped off the ramp, squashing the memories that surged from the familiar crunch of sand under my black boots. I faced Obi-Wan and Ahsoka, both of whom watched me in concern, so I tried to smile. "Where to first?"

"This is why we need you, Anakin," Obi-Wan started, putting on his business voice. "Our sources have traced Asajj here, but we have no specific location. Where would be the best place to get lost?"

I thought for a moment, mapping out the town in my head as I picked out the best hiding spots. I had to separate past from present as scenes of playing hide-and-seek games with my young friends came back to me. Gesturing with my hand, I began heading towards the dusty town. "Come on. Let's go this way." As an afterthought, I commented, "Try to keep a low profile. These people don't take kindly to outlanders."

I led the way into the wide streets, unconcerned by the twin suns which beat down relentlessly on the dome-roofed, sand-covered houses and on anyone and everyone who dared dash out of the shadows caused by them. Stalls with vendors hawking their wares lined the main streets, and people of all sizes and races moseyed around, some of them leading animals and others fingering their latest purchase. Eyes, both friendly and unfriendly, were trained on us as we made our way to the dilapidated, more dodgy part of Mos Espa.

Glancing back to the others, I warned in a low tone, "Keep your eyes open. This is the kind of place that bounty hunters and others with ... less honourable professions inhabit. They'll take one look at us and start counting the dataries they could get from us."

"Does that apply to our suspect, as well?" Obi-Wan questioned quietly, his blue eyes darting around the dark alleys that we were approaching.

I stepped over a pile of trash that had been strewn ungraciously on the ground before answering. "Yes, I'd say it would."

"That means it's going to be even harder to find her, then, doesn't it?" Ahsoka asked, tucking her arms tighter around herself as a gust of wind plastered a scrap of paper to the remains of a tumble-down house, sprinkling us with a fresh dusting of sand.

"Yeah," I responded distractedly, picking up the piece of paper that was now fluttering to the ground.

"What's that?" Ahsoka curiously popped her head around my shoulder.

"It's a bit of paper," I responded with a smirk, then a frown crossed my face as I mumbled the barely intelligible words. "'Wanted: Jedi Masters, Knights, and Padawans. Reward for successful capture and detainment.' And the rest of the paper has been ripped, so I don't know who's asking for this." I looked up at the dubious faces of Obi-Wan and Ahsoka. "It's probably a poor bounty hunter sticking up these posters." I tossed it into a rubbish pile and shrugged. "We'd better be even more careful, then."

"So no tricks, right, Skyguy?" Ahsoka offered cheekily but watched me tentatively as though afraid of my response.

I smirked. "Yeah, no tricks."

Her shy smile could have lit up the alleyway.

It wasn't long before we reached a low building with broken windows and lots of noise coming from inside. Three narrow steps, covered in dust and grime, led up to the front door, which stood open, allowing a faintly unpleasant odour to waft out onto the back streets. Though Obi-Wan and Ahsoka would be able to walk in straight-backed, I knew I would have to duck to enter through the door. As I stooped, about to go in, a memory flashed into my mind. I could almost feel Mother grabbing my hand and pulling me back.

"No, Ani," she scolded me softly, leading me away, "this is no place for a six-year-old to be. It's far too dangerous."

I looked back, the dark doorway holding many interests for my curious self. "But there's people and things inside, Mom. Can I just stay for a bit?"

She shook her head, still walking away with my hand linked in hers. "No, not even for a bit. I want to keep you safe. People will try to hurt you there."

I froze in the doorway, swallowed up by the memory and the emotions that were latched onto it. Paralyzed by indecision, my hand was glued to the doorframe, my eyes glazed as I played the past over and over in my head.

"Anakin," Obi-Wan called quietly from behind me, "are you going in?"

I glanced back at him. "Far too dangerous ...."  Hesitating, I looked down. "Um, maybe you guys had better wait out here, at least for a bit. There are a lot of people inside, and most of them will see three Jedi as a target. I can sneak in and have a look first. Stay hidden as best you can." I gave Ahsoka a long look, so she nodded silently, dropping her gaze.

Obi-Wan didn't seem happy about this arrangement, but I went inside before he could protest.

 It took my eyes a few moments to adjust to the dim lighting, and I resisted the urge to block my ears as the sound exploded even louder than from the outside. Voices shouted, music blared, and tables were thumped, or even upturned, when games were lost or conversations went sour. The air hung close, and overcrowding sent the temperature soaring. I was glad the other two didn't have to cope with the suffocating heat; it didn't bother me so much, anyway.

I scanned the sea of heads in search of our runaway, but my first sweep turned up nothing. The Force was gathered thickly here, warning of danger in just about every direction, and I thought I caught snatches of Asajj's presence nearby. I couldn't pinpoint the exact location, though.

"Oi, is tha' a Jedi?" someone drawled from across the room. He sat at a table with a group of four others, all of whom were different species and all of whom had their eyes trained intently on me.

I wrapped my brown cloak tighter around myself and didn't look across at them, instead taking my searching to the opposite side from them. My eyes picked out a melting pot of the usual suspects in a place like this: bounty hunters, hooded figures, and shady-looking people of all races, along with a handful of beeping and speaking droids. But there was no Asajj.

I was just about to start asking questions of some of them when a stab of blackness flickered through the Force, emanating from a dark corner at the back of the building. Partly hidden around a corner, this area was much quieter ... and much dodgier. This was the kind of place that anyone with any type of money on their head would want to avoid. The business that would be completed here caused me to shudder.

Slipping around the corner, I remained shrouded in the shadows while I took stock of the situation. A door to my left – probably the backdoor – would provide a quick getaway if necessary, and aside from residual light that spilled across the sandy floor from further inside, a small, barred window in the top right corner was the only light source for the area. In the centre of the round room was a circular table, nestled in the middle of bench seats that jutted from the walls, and on these seats were about three people, all with low hoods and clad in blacks or dark blues. Next to me, also concealed by the shadows stood another person, dressed in Mandalorian garb, who cast suspicious glances at me but didn't betray my stealth. As yet, I was unnoticed by the three who talked in hushed tones. From the voices, I guessed one was a female, and the other two were males, though of what species I had no idea.

It didn't take long before the conversation stopped abruptly, and I knew my presence was no longer veiled.

"Can we help you, Jedi?" one of the males spoke up casually, his blue eyes glinting in the half-light. I could almost see dollar signs dancing in his pupils as he eyed me up.

I kept my cool, answering evenly, "I'm looking for someone. Perhaps you can help me find her."

He cocked a black eyebrow, his eyes darting briefly to the female who was watching me, appearing totally unperturbed. "There are a lot of 'someones.' To which one do you refer in particular?"

But his hidden look had told me everything I needed to know. I tucked my cloak around myself calmly, eyeballing the hooded lady as I responded to the man. "Her name is Asajj Ventress. Maybe you've heard of her?"

This time, the woman spoke, her unforgettable voice – a mix between a soft hiss and a loud whisper – giving away her identity. "Anakin Skywalker," she began placidly, "I should have known they would send you. How predictable."

"Asajj Ventress," I replied, copying her tone, "for my part, I knew I'd find you here. On that score, we're even." Though I never let my feelings show, my odds against four thugs or trained assassins weren't very good. So I indicated to the backdoor. "Perhaps we should continue our conversation with more privacy."

She considered my proposition, casting a glance at the others in the room, then nodded and straightened up. "Alright, then," she conceded, heading for the door.

I kept a close eye on her in case of tricks but held the door open, gesturing through it with my hand. "Ladies first."

She flashed me a smile. I wasn't sure if it was genuine or not.

Once we were out in the street, Asajj faced me expectantly, her ice-blue gaze fixed on me intensely. Though it was still high morning, the shadows that the tall buildings cast made it feel more like twilight in the back streets, a darkness I was acutely aware of. I wasn't in a hugely favourable position, what with Asajj dressed in her blue-black skirt and low hood. It would be too easy for her to pull something on me before I even saw it happening.

"So, Master Jedi," she began lightly, "what's it to be? Although, I think I must be mistaken," she added quickly, looking mock-apologetic, "you're not a Master, are you? You're just a Knight. Anyway, do continue." She waved a white hand at me, her pale lips twitching in pleasure.

I tried not to let her words unsettle me, instead freezing as I attempted to remember what exactly we were doing here. Why did we want Asajj again?

Then I almost completely lost the plot when another unbidden memory smashed into my mind.

"I wanna do it, Mom!" I said with determination, my heart pounding with the excitement that accompanied the most recent proposition. "It's what I've always dreamed of."

"Then go, Ani," she encouraged, her beautiful face reflecting the selfless love in her heart. "Go become a Jedi."

Little did I know that because I did, I lost her.

But I didn't have time to get my bearings back before I felt a sharp pain splitting into my skull. I was unconscious before I hit the ground.

<><><><><><><><><><>

And yeah, it's a cliffhanger, sorry Ani, it's not that I don't like you, honest! But ooh, I'm excited; we've met Asajj! We've probably just lost her again, but our heroes did achieve the 'find Asajj' part of their mission, so let's give them some credit. ;)

And oh dear, Anakin, you don't have to be so independent! It's always good to accept help from your friends. *sigh*

But anyways, I really enjoyed writing this chapter, and I hope yous are enjoying reading this! :) Also, just a hint, we'll be having some more Obi-Wan next chapter. :D

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

149K 2.5K 35
A couple of months after Ahsoka leaves the Order, Anakin meets an orphan girl they discover is force-sensitive. She works her way into the hearts of...
2.1K 303 45
"What is hope? It's just an illusion - something that can never be seen, heard, or felt. And yet, it can be crushed." **THIS IS BOOK no. 5 in "Sting...
3.1K 118 17
Fate, it is. Fate, it is not. His body was turned away from me. A heavy sigh leaving his lips. Turning to look at me, ocean blue eyes stared into m...
183K 4K 67
BOOK TWO IN THE SKYWALKER TWIN SERIES . I highly recommend you read the first book first. But I can't stop you so do what you want lol. The grammar i...