Black Girls Don't Blush

By BlessMolla

A nineteen year old black girl escapes the clutches of her abusive father with her pregnant twin sister. Less... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Three

357 18 0
By BlessMolla

Kylie's POV

As I drove towards the supermarket, I decided I could grab a few things for the baby from the nearest discount store. It wouldn't be what Tasha wanted, putting her daughter in cheap clothes, but we weren't exactly swimming in money so she'd just have to do with them for a while until we were financially sound.

I bought groceries, toiletries and other essentials at the supermarket and headed towards the discount store.

Everyone back home probably missed us. Michelle knew we were going to make a run for it someday but seeing as she didn't know when and where to, she was probably worried sick about us.

I remembered when we got our first jobs as waitresses in Michelle's dad's cafe. We were in our senior year when he opened it and needed some help. We had settled on an amount of sixty bucks a month each which we saved and the tips we got, we spent.

Sometimes, when there was excess food, we'd have feasts. I missed those days when everything was alright and our mom was perfectly healthy. I couldn't believe myself but I even missed when she used to be biased towards me, doing stuff like giving Tasha huge slices of her special cheesecake and taking her out shopping and to the movies.

I sighed deeply. Life was never going to be the same but I could just hope it would get better.

When I entered the discount store, I realized it was actually going to be fun shopping for the baby. I started off by buying cute, baby overalls, onesies, bibs, blankets, and other things I thought the baby would use. I got them all in pink, yellow and purple colours.

I bought many diapers, feeding bottles, pacifiers and baby formula. There were some pretty phones which I knew would cost a bit but I didn't mind. I took two of them and got two different cases as well, one for Tasha and one for me.

I paid for my things and left the store. Since I wasn't in the mood to return to Tasha's company, I decided to drive around town a bit and possibly find a fast food restaurant. There were snacks in the apartment's minibar. Tasha would have to manage them till I got back.
***
Jack's POV

"I'm almost there." I told Fred. "My old man was giving me yet another quote settle down speech."

"Well hurry your butt up. Mr. Rogers and Mac are here with me."

"What floor are you on?"

"Sixth floor. Hurry." He hang up.

I picked up speed and pulled into the underground parking lot. As I entered the building and headed to the elevator, I saw a pregnant woman carrying bags of groceries which looked even heavier than the pregnancy she was carrying, trying to press the elevator button.

"Let me help you with that miss..." I said, reaching for the bags.

"Reid and thank you very much." She said transferring them into my hands unhesitatingly and pressing the button.

We stepped into the elevator and I smiled as she pressed the button for the fourth floor.

"Why are you carrying this much load? Don't you have anyone to do this? It isn't good for your condition."

"Actually I do. My twin sister but she stepped out and I want to make her something delicious to eat when she gets back." She said beaming.

"Oh." Was all I could manage out. She was very beautiful, with straight, black hair, and a cute face. She looked at least eighteen, way too young to be a mother, and her braces fit her face perfectly. I was even more surprised she lived here. The rent wasn't exactly cheap so she must have had some sort of connections or she was rich.

The elevator stopped, snapping me out of my thoughts. She reached for the bags and I held them out of her reach. She was quite short and couldn't get to them.

"I'll help you to your room. I can't let a beautiful, pregnant women like you carry this load on your own." I said stepping out of the elevator.

She looked down shyly and stepped out as well. "Um...Thanks."

"Let's get moving. Your room isn't going to come to you, you know." I said and she slapped her forehead.

"I'm sorry." She said grinning and leading the way down the H-shaped hallway. She stopped in front of a door with '72' written boldly on it. "Thanks again." She said and took the bags after unlocking the door.

"Anytime." I said, turned on my heels and walked back towards the elevator. I could feel her eyes on me. However, when I turned, she was no where in sight.

"Weird." I muttered to myself as I stepped into the elevator and pressed the button for the sixth floor.
***

Kylie's POV

The Grise Fiorde slowly came into sight and I couldn't wait to take a long shower and collapse on my bed. It was only three o'clock but the sun shone as brightly as ever.

I pulled into the parking lot and unlocked my trunk. I took out the baby clothing and blankets, as well as the hamburgers and fries I bought for Tasha and I, and decided to come for the rest of my things later.

As I crossed the parking lot, I saw classy cars I hadn't seen before, probably because when we first came I was too busy and excited to notice them and when I was leaving earlier on, I was too scared. I spotted Mr. Rogers' and three others.

I had a comfortable place to stay thanks to him and I was forever indebted.

There was a sweet aroma in the room and it hit me immediately I entered. Tasha was an amazing cook and could make a grand meal out of anything at all.

I emptied my hands into the overstuffed cream sofa and dropped into one of the antique French chairs. The apartment was beautifully designed, with a colour combination of cream, brown, black and a bit of blue in a few places. There was a Swedish, wooden clock above the mantel. I switched on the flat screen t.v. and tuned into CNN. Just then, Tasha entered the room beaming.

"What's up? You look as if you just got laid." I said sarcastically and glanced at her suspiciously.

"I wish."

"Huh?"

"I met someone today." She said opening the curtains. As the light spilled into the room, I noticed how fortunate I was to have landed myself such an apartment. "He's the perfect definition-"

"Are you sure you didn't dream that? You've always fantasized about meeting a man who met all your qualifications. I'm not sure you actually saw this person you speak of because there's absolutely no such thing as a perfect man."

"Do you always have to be a fun-sponge?"

"That's not even a thing." I told her unsympathetically.

She sighed as she sat in the seat beside me. "Do you want to hear about him or not?"

"Uh...no thanks." I said reaching into one of the carrier bags I had brought in.

"What are those?" She asked craning her neck.

"Nothing much. Just a few things I picked up for the baby and us." I said shrugging.

"A few? More like tons of things. Wow look at this blankie!" She said catching the blanket I had tossed towards her.

"Glad you like them. They're from a discount store."

She wrinkled her nose. "Yet they're so pretty! How so?"

"Because discount stores don't sell junk duh...Well sort of don't." I corrected as she shot me a deadly look.

"Thanks anyway. You really have a good taste. The colours are also amazing."

"I know." I could feel the edges of my mouth turn upwards by themselves. "What's burning?" I asked as I sniffed the air like a dog to get a better scent of what it was that was burning.

"Oh no! My garlic bread!" She shrieked, racing into the kitchen.

I followed her grudgingly because I wasn't really in the mood to get up but the sight of the dining table left me stunned as soon as I got to the kitchen. There, in the middle of the table, was a feast of various kinds of food. There was tuna casserole, a bowl of salad, mashed potatoes, fries and all my favorites.

"Tasha! Where did you get the groceries for all this?" I asked pointing to the table.

"Turns out we're next door neighbors with a grocery store." She said adding the garlic bread to the feast.

"If I had known you'd be cooking I wouldn't have bought us food." I said as I sat down and started filling my plate.

"You mean that junk that was on the coffee table?"

"Tasha, sit down and stop hovering above me." She sat and also started picking a little of everything. Even though I wasn't exactly a food lover I ate more than Tasha. She was a very picky eater and ate in small quantities too. "It isn't junk food okay? And from now on I don't want you to spend anymore. We don't have enough to be affording food as expensive as all this. I'd rather you saved your money for your hospital bills." I struggled to chew my food while I spoke.

"Blah blah blah. How is it?"

"I won't lie. It's terrific."

She smiled and ate. We made a toast to our new lives after eating and cleaned up our plates. The rest of the food was kept in food containers in the fridge which was already half full thanks to the leftover groceries from her shopping. With mine as well, we'll have more than enough to take us through the first few weeks of our stay here.

"Tasha that was amazing." I told her as we sat in front of the t.v. and watched a spongebob marathon.

"Well I had inspiration." She told me and I stared at her as though she'd grown an extra head...not that it'd be useful though. As far as I knew, Tasha was never inspired by anything or anyone.

"Which was?"

"The guy I met." She said smiling foolishly again.

"Yeah yeah. I bet you made a fool out of yourself. And how on earth could a guy give you inspiration to cook such good meals dummy?" She frowned at me and I knew she wouldn't be talking to me anytime soon.

"I'll just take my baby's things to my room now." She said and left, carrying the bags away.

I realized the apartment had grown darker than before and the rest of the things I had bought were still in the car. It took me all my might to get up from the chair and out of my home. I was going to surprise Tasha with more things for her baby after which she'd just have to forget about this man she saw and talk to me.
***

"Tasha! Come see who's here to check up on us." I called out, waiting for a response but none came.

"Look I'm sorry for earlier okay? I promise I'll let you tell me all about your Prince but come out first."

Still no response. Well that was worrisome.

"Are you sure she's not asleep or something?" Aunt Petunia asked emptying her hands onto the carpet and sitting on the couch. I had met her in the parking lot and she'd help me carry most of the things upstairs. She was surprisingly robust for her age.

"She probably is. What would you like to drink?" I asked also dropping the few remaining things I had carried carefully on the carpet, beside her heap.

"A glass of water will do dear."

"Alright. Give me a minute." I told her. As I left the sitting room and into the kitchen, I hoped everything was alright with my sister. She wasn't trustworthy enough to be left alone most of the time but I did so anyway because she wouldn't let any harm come to her daughter. Now, I regretted my decision so much I wanted to cry.

I gave aunt Petunia her glass of water and went off to find my sister. I peeped into her room and found her sprawled on her bed.

"Tasha...Tasha?" I called out. No reply. I gave her a little shake and even thumbed her forehead but no response.

"Tasha! Tasha wake up!" I cried frantically while shaking her with all my might. I felt her pulse which was weak.

"Aunt Petunia! Help!" I cried out and shortly after, she rushed into the room.

"Quick! Help me carry her!" She instructed and I complied readily.

We got her through her door and into the sitting room. Aunt Petunia laid her gently on the sofa and knelt beside her. My glasses fell and she grabbed them and slammed them onto my face.

"Get me a glass of water!" She barked and I scrambled out of the room. Until then, her personality didn't fit her stern looks but they now did.

I returned to the room in less than thirty seconds, handing her the glass. She took it and sprinkled the contents on her. She took one of the magazines lying on the coffee table and used it to fan her. Slowly, Tasha opened her eyes.

"Go pack some things for her and the baby. Do you have a phone?" She asked and I nodded.

She scribbled her number on the magazine and handed it to me. "That's my number. When you're done call me and I'll give you directions to the hospital." She said and I nodded again.

I was so scared I didn't realize when Tasha held my hand. She looked up into my eyes and I took a step backwards. These weren't Tasha's eyes. Her eyes were always a warm brown but these eyes...they seemed lifeless.

Aunt Petunia helped her into a sitting position. "Get her some sandals." I brought a pair of leather sandals from her closet and slipped them on her feet.

"Call me when you're done packing." She said as she supported Tasha and her weight. They stepped out of the door and when I heard it close behind them, I crumbled onto the floor and broke into tears.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Reunited By Rebecca

General Fiction

257K 10.4K 29
She had always felt like an out cast, she knew her family hated her but she didn't understand why. maybe it was because they never truly wanted her...
519K 12.5K 66
Book 1 of 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝕱𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖈𝖑𝖚𝖇 𝖘𝖊𝖗𝖎𝖊𝖘 𖤓 𝔖𝔥𝔢 𝔠𝔬𝔫𝔮𝔲𝔢𝔯𝔢𝔡 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔥𝔢𝔯 𝔡𝔢𝔪𝔬𝔫𝔰 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔢 𝔥𝔢𝔯 𝔰𝔠𝔞𝔯𝔰 𝔩𝔦𝔨𝔢...
1.4K 179 31
Jeen and Roman are being hunted. What started as a search to find their mother became a fight for survival against a radical group that's kidnapped t...
153K 5.9K 39
Arianna Hope is from a rich family but she's far from stuck up. With a genius IQ and a charitable heart she's the kind of girl everyone knows and wou...