To Love's End | Shigure Sohma

By LyraUlric

Tohru finds a photo of a young woman in Shigure's office. Clearly she's very important because even Yuki and... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine (Lemon)
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five

Chapter Twenty Seven

4.6K 174 37
By LyraUlric

Shigure still sat at the dining table with his phone in front of him. Tohru had made lunch and they all sat together to eat and he had it in his mind that Amai would arrive at her destination by the time they finished eating.

But he didn't receive any calls. Not even any text messages. Yuki suggested that she was probably checking into the hotel and sorting things out and that she would call later on. However, it had been an hour since her scheduled arrival and it was just passed midday. Even the kids were getting anxious.

"Maybe you should call her," Tohru said as they all sat around the table. "If she's busy, she'll see your missed call and she can call back when she's free."
"Good idea," Shigure nodded.

The kids watched as he picked up his phone and clicked on her name 'Wifey ❤️'. Placing the phone to his ear, he listened to the ring. It rang for at least five seconds and after that Shigure's heartbeat sped up. With each ring he grew more anxious but he didn't let it show on his face, keeping a gentle smile across his lips so that the kids remained calm.

Finally, his heart relaxed and he breathed a sigh of relief as the call was answered. No one spoke, which he thought was odd, so he spoke first.

"Amai, you had me worried," he said, which made the kids breathe sighs of relief. "I was waiting for your call but I understand you must have been busy checking in once you arrived. I hope your journey went well. Are you okay?" He was met with silence but he knew someone was on the other side. "Hello? Amai? Is everything okay?"
"Shigure," came a man's voice. But it wasn't just any man.
"Hatori?" Shigure asked in complete confusion, his brows furrowing as his eyes narrowing a little. The kids looked at each other, all completely baffled. "Why have you got Amai's phone?"
Hatori sighed deeply. "You should come to the estate."

Shigure's heart panged in his chest. It was painful. Excruciating. He knew it wasn't a joke. He could hear it in Hatori's tone. This was serious and his heart was telling him something was wrong. He had felt it before but he kept hope that everything was fine.

"Shigure?" Hatori called.

The phone dropped from his hand and he quickly got to his feet. The kids looked up at him in worry and without saying anything, he ran out of the room. They knew something was wrong. Yuki got up and went to Shigure's phone before putting it to his ear.

"It's Yuki."
"Where is Shigure?" Hatori asked.
"He just ran out. Where is Miss Amai? Is she okay?"
Hatori closed her eyes. "It happened again. She doesn't know us anymore."

And then he hung up. Yuki lowered his head and switched off the phone. Kyo shot up to his feet.

"What happened?!"
"Her memories are gone..."
Tohru gasped, lifting her hands to her mouth as tears welled up in her eyes. "Oh no..."
"WHAT?!" Kyo growled angrily. "She was meant to be in Tokyo!!"
"I don't get it..." Yuki said quietly.

Out of anger, Kyo stormed out of the room, punching the door and breaking it in his wake before running upstairs with tears in his eyes. Yuki dropped to his knees and Tohru quickly rushed over to him.

"Yuki..." she called tearily.
"This doesn't make any sense..."

Tohru didn't know what to say or do. It seemed as though they had just gotten their lives back and it was suddenly gone again. It didn't seem real.

***

Shigure sped all the way to the Sohma estate. He saw Amai's car parked outside as he entered through the gates. He didn't even bother closing his car door as he ran towards Hatori's place. It was as if he was on autopilot mode, wanting to just get there. Part of him hoped that she was fine and it was all a cruel joke but he also knew that he was about to face his biggest fear.

He slid the door open harshly, seeing Hatori sitting at his desk and Ayame on the couch. They both looked at him and stood as he panted heavily. Shigure's focus then went past Hatori to the bed behind him in the other room.

And there she was. It looked as though she was just fast asleep but whenever the time came for her to wake up, she wouldn't remember him. He numbly walked towards her.

Hatori held his arm to stop him. "Shigure-"
"Don't," he said quietly. "Don't defend her just yet."

He moved his arm out of his grip and continued to the bed Amai was laying on. He stood at her side and looked down at her sleeping face. He was sad that her memories were gone and he was angry that she lied to him but at the same time he was broken because he didn't know what to do or how to feel. He gently cupped her face and stroked her cheek.

"Did Akito hurt her?" he asked.
"She tried but Amai expected it and defended herself," Hatori explained.
Ayame stepped forward with a folded paper in his hand. "She wrote you a letter."
Shigure looked over his shoulder. "Did you know she was going to do this?" he asked them both.
Hatori nodded. "We did."
Shigure instantly looked away again and clenched his fist as he closed his eyes tightly. "Why didn't you tell me? How long have you known?" he seethed.
"A few weeks," Hatori answered.
"We wanted to tell you but she wouldn't let us." Ayame went to him and placed his hand on his shoulder. "We tried to stop her but she was determined. You have to trust her as we have."
"Trust her with what?!" He opened his eyes and they were glazed over with tears. He looked at her sleeping face. "She's been lying to me, telling me she has a conference in Tokyo and that she was going to be gone for the weekend. She lied to me. How can I trust her..?" Tears fell down his cheeks as he held her hand. Lowering his head down on her shoulder, he cried quietly. "It killed me when she didn't know me the last time. And this time... This time she willingly chose to forget about me. I'm so angry at her. I'm so angry..."

Ayame frowned sadly. Both he and Hatori could understand his pain, particular Hatori. Having the love of your life forgetting who you are once is bad enough. For it to happen another time was like breaking an already weak heart.

Shigure stood straight and wiped his tears on his sleeves before looking at her again. "How did this happen..?"

Hatori explained everything about Amai's plan. "Amai had been asking you about Akito's past so that she could use that information to convince her that what she was doing was going against her. That the curse wasn't the answer to Akito's desire for everyone to be close to her. If Akito had love in her heart then everyone would naturally be drawn to her. Akito almost saw reason but her hatred towards Amai for stealing you from her brought her to make a final deal."
Shigure turned to him. "What deal?"
"If Amai has her memories erased and is able to return to you again, then Akito will see it as a sign of strength of true love and lift the curse from all of us."
Shigure's eyes widened. "What..?" he gasped.
Hatori closed his eyes. "Once Amai agreed, I was called."

• Flashback •

Hatori heard that Amai had agreed to the deal and was in shock. He would be forced to take her memories away again and he felt as though his curse was doubled. He didn't like doing it.

"Hatori!" Akito called.

Since he was standing just outside the door, he entered immediately. He had heard everything and Akito knew it. Amai turned over her shoulder to see him already looking at her with sorrow in his eyes. She sent him a gentle smile and he knew she was being brave for his sake. He saw the shattered glass on the floor in front of her and his eyes instantly did a quick scan for any sign of blood. There was none, much to his relief.

"Erase her memories, Hatori," Akito growled. "And do it properly this time."
He sighed. "Very well. Come with me, Amai."

Just as she was about to get up, Akito stopped them.

"No! Do it right here in front of me." She clenched her fists. "You could lie to me too like Shigure and allow her to leave with her memories. No... Take away her memories away in front of me. Now!"

Hatori slowly walked forward. That's what he was planning to do. He was going to get her to escape but Akito saw right through him. Once he reached Amai, he kneeled down in front of her as she turned towards him. He stared into her bright, twinkling eyes as she continued to smile bravely.

"Amai..."
"I'm ready, Hatori. This is a deal between me and Akito. I'm holding up my end of the bargain and so will she." She turned her head and looked Akito in the eyes. "Isn't that right?"
Akito glared right back at her. "You have my word."
"Oh, and another thing," Amai continued, making Akito furrow her brows. Amai smiled. "When my memories return, Shigure and I will return together to receive your blessings."

Akito's eyes widened at her words but it surprised her. There was such strength in her voice and such faith in her love that she wasn't scared at all. It was the first time someone hadn't been afraid of her.

She clenched her fists and growled at Hatori. "Do it now!"
Amai looked at Hatori again, who was still looking at her. "I'm ready."
He took a deep breath. "You defied the odds once before, Amai. I don't know how... Like I told you before, I don't know what taking your memories a second time will do to those odds. What if your memories never return..?"
She continued to smile. "I have faith. I'll return. I promise."

Hatori still hesitated. He didn't want to do it. Upon seeing his hesitation, Amai took hold of his hand and placed it on her head. His eyes widened at her actions as she held his hand in place.

With the smile still on her lips, a tear rolled down her cheek. "It's okay."

Hatori closed his eyes and did it. Amai instantly lost consciousness and fell backwards. Before she could hit the ground, he placed his arm around her shoulders and lay her down carefully away from the broken glass.

• End of flashback •

Hatori opened his eyes. "After that I had some nurses bring her here and that's when you called."

Shigure remained silent as he listened to the full story. Never in the Zodiac Sohma history had anyone's memories ever returned and so because of that, never in the history did anyone have their memories erased twice. No one knew what effect that would have on her memories' ability to return.

Hatori went to him and placed his hand on his shoulder. "Read the letter, Shigure. We wouldn't have let her go ahead with it if we didn't trust her. Read the letter."

He agreed to read it. Ayame handed him the letter and he moved to sit on the couch. He unfolded the letter and saw her handwriting scribbled across the paper.

Dear Hubby,

You're angry with me right now and you have every right to be. I lied to you and I accept your anger. Even though you may not want to, all I can do is ask for your forgiveness. I didn't tell you because I knew you wouldn't let me do this. Even Hatori and Ayame didn't want me to go through with it but I needed their help and they eventually agreed. Please don't be upset with them. I forced them.

I know we said we would talk to Akito together but this was something I needed to do on my own. Do you remember when you first told me about the curse? I told you that I was going to help end the curse so that all the Sohmas of the Zodiac could finally live without fear. And so that we could hold each other properly.

I'm going to speak to Akito knowing that she will order for my memories to be erased again. She thinks that it will get rid of me for good this time and I'm going to let her believe that it's her idea. I know you won't be happy about it but if I could return before, I can do it again.

Last time, it was thanks to Tohru that I returned. I'm going to use the same technique to bring back my memories. Over the past couple of weeks, I put everything in place. I've rented out my old apartment again and in there I have placed details of our lives together so that they will jog my memory. I am still wearing my necklace and I have left notes to help me understand what it means and the value it holds. I also need you to leave this letter in my pocket. You know me. I always empty out my pockets so I'll definitely read this soon.

I told you I would be back by the end of this weekend and that isn't a lie. Akito won't expect it because she won't know about all the memory triggers I've put in place so she will believe she's already won. My memories will return and I will return to you. I know it. I have faith in my love for you and I hope you can have faith in our love, too. You can punish me in any way you wish after.

I love you, Shigure.

Love from,
Wifey x

He read over the later a couple more times. He was angry before but Amai was right. He had to keep faith in their love and her letter gave him strength. He did trust her and he had to do whatever he could to help her.

Getting up, he went to Hatori's desk and grabbed a pen. Hatori and Ayame watched him in wonder as he wrote something at the bottom of the letter. He then folded it up and walked over to Amai before placing it in her jacket pocket. Taking a deep breath, he held her hand as he looked at her face.

"She's going to do it," he told them. "She's going to save us."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

181K 6.6K 41
Mei grew up surrounded by facts, not fiction. Science, not religion. Real life, not some pipe dream fantasy that most others had. Of course it come...
11.9K 179 17
(Fruits Basket Fanfiction)After Tohru tries to convince Akito to break the curse. She falls off a cliff and also loses all of her memories. This incl...
47K 1.1K 21
Yuki and Kyo both struggle with theirs feelings for Tohru, while Tohru is growing increasingly tired of their fighting. Then Tohru discovers a lump...
713 3 18
Sakura Suzuki is Tohru Honda's best friend and rich big sister figure her entire life. Like Tohru, Sakura lives out on her own, with her, not bother...