What Deceit Looks Like | ✓

lau_matthews tarafından

Cassidy Jane Edison. Las Vegas native. Con artist. Twenty-five. Ridiculously poor. Takes goods from people. M... Daha Fazla

author's note
epigraph
01: cassidy
02: cassidy
03: cassidy
04: maddox
05: cassidy
06: cassidy
07: cassidy
08: maddox
09: cassidy
10: cassidy
11: cassidy
12: Maddox
13: cassidy
14: cassidy
15: cassidy
17: cassidy
18: cassidy
19: cassidy
20: maddox
21: cassidy
22: cassidy
23: cassidy
24: maddox
25: cassidy
26: cassidy
27: cassidy
28: cassidy
29: maddox
30: cassidy
31: cassidy
32: maddox
33: cassidy
34: cassidy
35: cassidy
epilogue
Book four!

16: maddox

1.1K 60 2
lau_matthews tarafından

3 years ago

"Maddox!" Charlie snaps her fingers in my face, "Hello? We're supposed to finish writing out these save the dates."

I'd been thinking of Paige which really isn't a surprise to anyone, "Sorry. I zoned out," I apologize and Charlie rolls her eyes.

"Really because you had this dreamy look in your eye that only happens when you're thinking about my sister," She points out and I shrug.

"So what if I was? What are you going to do about it Charlotte," I tease tapping her nose to get a rise out of her.

Her nose flares, "You're walking on thin ice Maddy, I'm not sure you'd want to explain to Paige that you got a black eye by pissing off her older sister."

Charlie is a year older than me and two years older than Paige, but we met first at Harvard because of a class we had together. She then decided after I bailed her out of a project she forgot to do one night and to thank me, Charlie introduced me to Paige.

"As if you'd actually hit me and ruin my pretty face." Charlie is tiny compared to Paige and often looks like the younger of the siblings. "She should have called by now right?" It's the first bit of doubt I've had creep into my mind. It's been two and a half weeks since she left and last time she was deployed, we heard from Paige within the first week.

Charlie shrugs, "You know how it is over there; they don't exactly have the best service in Iraq. Paige will call when she can."

She's right. In Paige's last deployment, she tried calling every chance she had but those chances were few and far between. I'm just being paranoid. I can't shake the feeling that she should have called by now.

"How's Dean? Have you talked to him recently?" She asks changing the topic just as a roll of thunder shakes the window panes.

The thought of Dean brings a laugh out of me, "He's being typical Dean. You would think that him graduating in the spring would be enough to get him to start acting his age, but he's seen it as 'let's get as many parties in before graduation as possible.' He's lucky he can bullshit his way through his classes."

Charlie joins me in laughing because Dean went with the four of us on a trip last summer and gave Charlie and Paige plenty of ammo to tease him.

"Poor guy, I'm sure that once he graduates your dad will make him get serious about the company."

I snort, "Poor guy? He's automatically being handed a job after graduation in addition to his trust fund."

"That's how Nick was before he got deployed and I think he turned out okay," She points out and I shake my head. Paige and Nick served in the same unit on their last deployment. When she got back, Paige set Charlie and Nick up together to thank her for setting us up.

"There's a big difference between Nick and Dean. He cared and I get the feeling that Dean could truly care less. I love the guy, he's my brother but I wish he'd grow up a little."

Charlie gives me a look, "Not everyone came out knowing exactly what they wanted to do in life Maddox. You can't fault him for that."

I'm jealous of Dean because he has more options than I ever have, not that I'd admit that to anyone though, "I didn't exactly want to work for the company, it's just the family business. Hayes got shoved into it worse than I did with all the expectations of running the company. I just own shares."

"How is Hayes doing? The trial's been going pretty gruesome to read about." She asks changing the topic and I scratch the back of my neck.

"Honestly I'm not sure. He doesn't talk about it much when I'm with him, but there's no question that he's angry. I can't imagine what I'd do if something like that happened to Paige," I cringe at the thought.

Charlie rests her hand on mine, "There's no reason to think about that. She's going to be fine."

"You're right, fuck, I just didn't think she'd have to go back over. Paige is supposed to be here with us, especially since I kind of thought I'd be planning my wedding with her instead of you, no offense." I smile at her charmingly causing Charlie to roll her eyes in response.

"Trust me, I'd much rather be planning my own wedding with Nick than your's and Paige's, but what can I say? Sister of the year."

She is a good sister and an even better friend, "I appreciate it a lot. Why don't you guys take a weekend soon and I'll cover the hotel to say thanks," I offer and Charlie gives me a wicked grin.

"You got yourself a deal," She agrees jumping as another loud clap of thunder sounds. I turn around to look out the glass doors that lead to a small patio watching as flashes of lightning sprawl across the sky. "Damn, it's getting pretty bad out there."

I nod turning back to look at her, "I can finish this up if you want to get home before it's too bad. It's pretty late already." I didn't realize how long this was going to take us because we started at seven p.m. and it's almost eleven now.

Almost as if the storm heard this comment, the next flash of lightning sparks causing Charlie to yelp, and the room goes dark except for the flashes of lightning that cast shadows from the windows. "On second thought, it looks like you're stuck with me for the night."

"Probably a good idea, I can fix up the guest bedroom for you after I find some flashlights. It might reek of paint though because Paige has deemed it her art studio," I warn getting up from my chair.

Charlie chuckles softly, "You forget that I grew up in the same house as her; everything smelled like paint all the time." Knowing Paige and how she is here, it doesn't surprise me. "I can help you look, where would they be?"

"I'm not entirely sure? I think Paige put them in a drawer in the kitchen?" I turn on the flashlight from my phone but it's only half charged so the sooner we find the flashlights, the better. "You might want to try and get ahold of Nick to let him know you won't be home. I'd rather not have a soldier come after me."

"Ex-soldier and like you'd try anything with me. I've seen the way you look at Paige and trust me, whatever you have going on doesn't do it for me," She teases and I let out a laugh because she's completely right. Trying something with Charlie would be... disgusting in kind terms.

"Just keep looking for the flashlights, they're in here somewhere," I say digging through a drawer that Paige had meticulously organized. Just not one with flashlights.

After what feels like forever, Charlie finds the drawer, "Bingo."

"Great, toss me one and I'll go set up your room."

Paige has completely taken over the spare bedroom. She clearly has no intention of anyone staying here because the bed is pushed completely into the corner of the room, along with the dresser. Tarps are laid out all over the floor and then I realize how long it's been since I've stepped foot in here.

One of the walls is covered with a cherry blossoms tree mural that Paige was almost done with before she left. Using the flashlight, I trace my fingers over one of the bare areas left on the wall. It's beautiful. Touching the wall feels like I'm close to her.

There's paint canisters everywhere and I shake my head because Paige is organized in every other aspect of her life except when it comes to her art. There's no rules here.

I grab new sheets out of the bottom of the dresser and point the flashlight up towards the ceiling to give me some light to see what I'm doing. Lightning is helping illuminate the room, but the cracks of thunder are loud.

"I didn't even know it was going to rain," Charlie grumbles from the doorway, "Do you think I could borrow some of Paige's clothes? The stylish look I went for today has not served me well."

"I'll grab some for you. I would offer you a shower but I don't think showering in the middle of the thunderstorm is a good idea."

Charlie giggles and falls on the bed, "No shit genius. Are you sure you graduated from Harvard?"

"Fuck off Charlotte," I toss over my shoulder jokingly as I go to my room to grab a pair of Paige's sweatpants and a t-shirt. Charlotte will swim in them but better than what she has on now.

Except as I hand the clothes off to her, Charlie punches me hard in the arm in retaliation. "I told you not to call me Charlotte, Maddy."

I rub my shoulder even though it didn't hurt and scoff at her. "You know that it doesn't bother me when you call me that," I tease back and she just smirks.

"Sure thing Maddy."

"Call Nick," I remind her shining my flashlight to make my way around Paige's maze of objects. "Let me know if you need anything else."

She huffs, "Stop telling me what to do. I'm older than you." I try to hide my snicker but I don't do a very good job. "Thanks for letting me stay."

Of course, I'd let her stay, besides Brett, Charlie is my best friend and my future sister-in-law. "Goodnight Charlotte."

"Fuck you, Maddy. Goodnight," Her tone is entirely joking but it's just too easy to get under her skin. I let the door click behind me as I head to our room and I'm reminded of how lonely I am when I don't see Paige sitting on the bed sketching something.

I shed the layers of clothes that feel more like armor as I let my walls come down climbing into the empty bed, hugging Paige's pillow that still smells like her shampoo. It's comforting almost like I can pretend she's here.

Only four months and twenty-seven days until she is here. We're having a Christmas wedding with Paige banking on the idea that it's going to snow. I'm not convinced it will, but who knows? I'm just happy to marry her.

*********

Banging on my door wakes me from my dreamless sleep and I rub my eyes tiredly. "Good lord it's too early for this," I groan pulling my sweatpants on quickly to find Charlie wide awake at my door. "What?" I'm only half awake and already annoyed, but at least the powers back on from the light in the hallway.

"You need to put a shirt on and come out into the living room. Quickly." Her tone is clipped and short, far different from normal.

It wakes me up like a cold glass of water being dumped on me and I follow her instructions for once. Only once I've set foot in the living room do I understand why we were woken up. There's a man and a woman in full uniform standing in the living room as Charlie sits on the couch.

They turn to face me asking, "Are you Maddox Benson?"

I nod slowly and offer out my hand, "How can I help you?" They both shake it politely and I try to ignore the sinking feeling in my gut that the time of their visit means its bad news.

"I'm Corporal Reagan and this is Lance Corporal Quincy. You were listed as the next of kin for Private First Class Paige Sebel."

"Paige is my fiancé; is she okay?" I ask dumbly because they wouldn't be here if she was okay. I'm surprised that Charlie has stayed silent during all of this.

The man ducks his head as the woman, Corporal Reagan, continues, "The commandant of the Marine Corps has entrusted me to express his deep regret that your fiancé, Paige Sebel, has been classified as missing in action. The details of the mission are classified but we have reason to believe she has been captured by enemy forces. The commandant extends his deepest sympathy to you and your family as we are doing everything we can to locate her."

I take a step back from them trying to wrap my head around what they just said. Charlie speaks for the first time, "What does all this mean? When do we get her back?"

She asked when, the real question is if.

"The mission is still classified-"

"I don't care if it's fucking classified! Tell me where my sister is!" Charlie yells standing up walking closer to them.

I stop her before she charges them and if they're surprised by her outburst, they don't let it show. "We don't know where she is." I suck in a sharp breath as it all starts to hit me. "We'll know more in the next forty-eight hours. I'm sorry." Lance Corporal Quincy speaks this time and it doesn't sound so recited. He truly does sound sorry but it doesn't help.

Paige is missing and we don't know if we're going to get her back. I quickly move towards my desk where my business cards sit in a drawer and I scribble my personal number onto the back of it. "Please call me with any updates as soon as you know anything." I hesitate looking at Charlie's tear-streaked face before continuing, "I think it's best if you leave though." My voice wavers but thankfully they nod.

"We'll update you as soon as we know anything. Have a good day." A good day? What a fucking joke.

As soon as the door clicks shut, Charlie sinks to the floor and I barely catch her before her knees hit the hardwood. She's as light as a doll and I set her down gently as she shakes before sitting next to her. "I'm so sorry," I whisper as she clings to me sobbing. I've never seen Charlie like this but I've never shut down like this.

Paige might have been taken by enemy forces? How does that happen? Why would they let this happen? What if-if Paige's dead? I squeeze my eyes shut as tears escape from my eyes because I can't let my mind go there.

Charlie's taking ragged breaths, "What will happen if she doesn't come back? I ca-" Her voice cracks as another sob escapes her.

"She's a fighter, Charlie. Paige will come back to us." Charlie's head falls into my chest and I just hold her as I stare at the paintings on the wall.

She has to come back. 

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

168K 6.5K 55
In 2021 the world as we know it changed. The government collapsed, and the worst characteristics of human nature were shown as the world fell into ru...
10.6M 179K 44
Jesabel is a liar. When her only friend mysteriously disappears, she does what comes naturally. She keeps her truth from the world. Without warning...
1.2M 40.2K 65
"What if your not so one nightstand turns out to be your new boss ?" ❤ STARTED : 9th DECEMBER 2020 FINISHED: 14th FEBRUARY...
3K 953 64
Sarah, cheated on by her fiance, vows never to love again until she meets Henry and this vow is put to the test. Meet Sarah Suarez, a talented young...