Harry Potter and The Boy Who...

Autorstwa number1shipbuilder

"Face it Malfoy, you're a bloody coward." Harry's smile was gone, replaced by a menacing scowl. While he was... Więcej

Summer at the Burrow
A Warm, Hogwarts Welcome
The Boy Who Cheated
Defense, Dueling and Detention
Breakups by the Great Lake
None of your business
Ride to Hogwarts: 1976
The Wrong Choice
Sirius 'Drama Queen' Black
Why is Malfoy in Detention?
Not the Only One With Scars
1976: Late Nights
Lessons in Love Potions
"You're cute when you're angry"
Half-gay?
Casual Touches
Happy Place
"Dear god Potter, what?"
Metal, the Potions Cupboard, and something else
"What do you want from me?"
That explains a lot
A Quidditch Match and an Unexpected Reaction
A Good Friend and a Silent Evening
Nothing to Talk About
The Moment You've Been Waiting For
First Name Basis
The Hickey
The Scarf
Guessing Games
The Parkinson Theory
A Staged Breakup
Something to Tell You
Happy Christmas Harry
A Good Start
The Boy Who Lived, and the Boy Who Had No Choice
Updates and things

"Did you just call me pretty, Potter?"

13.5K 553 1.4K
Autorstwa number1shipbuilder

Chapter 13

On Monday morning, Harry woke up excited and full of energy: today was the day they'd finally start dueling in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Despite the war, Defense Against the Dark Arts was still his favorite subject and he was eager to learn. He pulled himself out of bed and got dressed. All the other boys except Seamus were already awake and were getting ready as well.

"Should we wake him?" Ron gestured lazily towards a sleeping Seamus, his voice still groggy with sleep.

"I'll do it," Dean said, already making his way towards the bed. "You know how he can be when he first wakes up."

He sat on the side of Seamus' bed and pulled the curtains around them. Ron shot Harry a quizzical glance but Harry merely shrugged and the boys continued to prepare for the day.

Harry walked over to the mirror next to Neville and started to tie his tie. Neville gave him a warm smile that Harry returned.

"Neville?" Harry began, spotting a crimson stain on his friend's collar that looked suspiciously like red lipstick. "What's that?"

"What's wh-" Neville glanced down and his face became almost as red as the mark in question. "Oh. That. Er- well... you see..."

"So the rumors are true then?" Ron said as he waltzed past them. "Word on the street is that Neville's become quite the ladies man."

"Well I wouldn't say-"

"Really? I can't say I'm surprised," Harry said honestly. From the many conversations he'd overheard, Neville was considered to be Hogwart's most eligible bachelor, following Harry. He couldn't blame the girls; Neville was a hero, and the fact that he had grown six inches and gained about twenty pounds in muscle mass over the past year certainly helped.

Neville didn't respond, but his face turned from red to a deep scarlet.

"Dean, we're heading down. You coming?" Harry called. Dean was still sitting on Seamus' bed, the curtains drawn.

"We'll be down in a minute." Seamus was the one that responded, rather breathlessly.

"Alright, but don't stay up here too long, or Ron will finish all waffles and they'll be none left."

"Hey!" Ron elbowed Harry in the side.

Harry, Ron, and Neville headed down to the Great Hall together, where they found Hermione already sitting and engaged in an intense conversation with Ginny.

"-and Michael and Dean? You liked them, didn't you?" Harry overheard Hermione say as he sat down.

"Yes, but I also like-" Ginny's eyes drifted over to Harry and she closed her mouth. "Hi Harry."

"Did we interrupt something?" Ron wrapped an arm around Hermione's shoulder and glanced between her and his sister. Hermione looked like she was about to answer before Ginny interjected.

"No, not at all." She gave Ron a smile and took a bite of her scrambled eggs.

"Are you ready for dueling today?" Hermione asked them, changing the subject.

"Yes," Harry said at the same time that Ron said "no."

"Of course you're ready. You're the best Defense student Hogwarts has ever seen and you don't have to duel bloody Malfoy," Ron groaned. Harry had forgotten Malfoy was Ron's partner; evidently, Ron had not forgotten this fact.

"Well, I have to duel Zabini," Harry offered, shrugging. Zabini wasn't nearly as bad as Malfoy, but he was still a Slytherin.

"That'll be easy. He'll probably just pose and try to distract you with his good looks rather than actually fighting." Ginny snorted.

"Fair point." Harry smirked. "He doesn't really seem like the fighting type."

They finished breakfast and headed off towards Professor Noble's classroom. She was already inside, reading at the front of the room with her feet propped up on her desk. Parvati and Lavender were also there, gossiping at one of the back tables. It only took a few minutes for everyone to arrive: it seemed all the students were as excited for dueling as Harry was, well, all of them except for one.

Malfoy strode in at the last minute taking a seat in the very back of the room beside Parkinson and Zabini. He looked much better than he had the other day, but his expression was even darker than usual. His hair was immaculately gelled back against his head, shining brilliantly against the overhead lights. His uniform was back to its original pristine state, and Harry felt a twinge of guilt remembering the long, silver scars that lay beneath his clothes.

"Alright kids," Professor Noble drawled, kicking her feet onto the floor. She circled her desk so she was facing the students and hopped onto her desk so she was sitting with her legs dangling down. "So our dueling officially starts today."

The students erupted in a murmur of enthusiasm, and Harry found himself turning around in his seat to look at the Slytherins in the back of the room. All three sat completely silent and uninterested in the prospect of dueling. Parkinson picked at her nails; Zabini was drumming his fingers on the table; and Malfoy looked as if he would rather be anywhere else in the world. Harry whipped his head back around to face Professor Noble.

"Just a reminder that you are only permitted to use the offensive spells on the approved lists that were given to you last week. And that you were also supposed to have memorized all of those spells before this class Mr. Finnigan." She raised her eyebrow and nodded in Seamus' direction, where he was hurriedly shoving the list of offensive spells in his bag. "There are at least fifty spells on that list, so your creativity should not be dwindled. Silent and wandless magic is permitted." A few students groaned at this. Snape had tried to teach them silent hexes in sixth year, but very few people in the class ever succeeded. Of course, Harry knew that no students in the class were capable of wandless magic yet; only the most powerful of wizards could accomplish that feat. "Any questions?"

When she was met with silence, she nodded and gestured for everyone to stand up.

"In that case, please find your partner. Longbottom, Finnigan, Granger, Potter, and Weasley will begin as our attackers. Begin whenever you're ready."

Harry begrudgingly made his way to the back of the classroom, where Malfoy and Parkison had abandoned Zabini.

"Zabini." He nodded curtly, holding out his hand.

"Potter," he greeted indifferently. He took Harry's hand and shook it. "I suppose we'd better start then."

"I suppose you're right." Harry shrugged and took a few steps back. They saluted each other with their wands and then took a bow. As soon as he stood back up, Harry fired a silent disarming spell at Zabini, which he blocked effortlessly. For about a minute, he dodged and deflected every hex Harry sent his way, the bored expression never wavering from his face.

All too soon, Harry managed to land a short stunning jinx, and Zabini froze where he stood. Only his face was able to move.

"I guess you've got me then," he drawled, sighing.

"Are you even trying?" Harry asked, obviously frustrated. The entire reason he returned to Hogwarts was to finish his education, but how was he supposed to learn anything if his dueling partner was just letting him win?

"Not really," Zabini said as the jinx started to wear off. He brushed off his robes. "Though, it's not like I could win even if I did."

"You never know if you don't try." Harry saluted Zabini once again, signaling the start of their duel.

"Merlin Potter, that sounds like a cheesy line from one of Pansy's romance novels," Zabini chuckled, his deep voice rumbling in his chest. Unlike with Malfoy, there was no edge to Zabini's voice: no hatred or emotion. He was talking as if he couldn't tell the difference between Harry and a brick wall: that was how little he cared. Harry found this slightly reassuring, but also oddly disappointing.

They continued dueling for a few more minutes, this time Zabini putting in slightly more effort. He had just started to cast a silent stinging hex when he heard Ron's voice from across the room.

"How did you do that?" Ron exclaimed. Harry whipped around to see what his friend was referring to, accidentally shifting his aim at the last minute. Before Harry could stop it, the stinging hex flew across the room and hit Ron in the side, knocking him over. Ron, panicking, sent a stunning hex back in Harry's direction, accidentally hitting Zabini.

"Ron!" Harry sprinted over to Ron, who was sprawled out over the floor, clutching his right arm. "Bloody hell, are you alright?"

"Yeah, but that bloody Zabini was trying to-"

"Trying to what?" Professor Noble strode over to the boys, concerned. "What happened?"

"Zabini just cast a stinging hex on me!" Ron exclaimed. "He-"

"No, he didn't Ron." Harry sighed. "It was me." At this point, Hermione had come over and she regarded Harry with shock. "It was an accident," Harry added quickly. "I was aiming at Zabini and I got distracted so the direction of the spell changed."

"Well, in that case, I don't think any sort of punishment is needed." She leaned down and helped Ron to his feet. "I'll bring Ginger here to the Infirmery and..." She glanced around the room, catching sight of a petrified Zabini. "Since pretty boy is indisposed, I guess you and blondie will be partners for the remainder of class."

Harry was about to open his mouth to object but she interrupted him.

"Actually, that reminds me. Class?" The rest of the students who hadn't noticed Ron's fall turned to look at the Professor. "Normal dueling rules for the rest of the period. Neither party is the attacker or defender, just good old fashioned dueling. I'll be back soon."

With that, she walked Ron out of the room, leaving Harry, and his objections, behind.

"Well?" Malfoy sneered, making his way over to Harry. "Scared Potter?" He saluted.

"You wish." Harry glared at him and returned his salute. They took a bow and immediately afterwards Malfoy shot at Jelly-legs jinx in Harry's direction. "You don't waste any time, do you Malfoy?"

Harry blocked the jinx and sent one of his own. This duel felt very different than fighting with Zabini. Malfoy moved with an intensity that forced Harry to think quicker, to be better. Harry thought the blonde Slytherin looked rather like a cat when he was dueling; his motions, while exhibiting a certain grace, were fast and dangerous.

So far, neither boy had actually suffered from any jinxes or hexes. Every spell had either been blocked or deflected.

"You know," Harry said through gritted teeth as he barely dodged a stinging hex. "You're not half bad at this Malfoy." The blonde froze, a look of utter disbelief on his face. Harry took this as an opportunity to disarm Malfoy. "Expelliarmus!"

Malfoy's wand flew out of his hands, and Harry lowered his own wand, already grinning in his victory.

"And to think I was complimenting you," Harry gloated, leaning down to pick up Malfoy's wand. The Slytherin glared at Harry for a moment before he started to smirk.

"Is that really the only spell you know, Potter?" Harry just barely had the chance to look up before he was knocked backwards. Malfoy's hand was outstretched like... like... like he was performing wandless magic.

Harry gripped his own wand and threw a stunning spell Malfoy's way, but the blonde easily dodged it. He managed to scramble to his feet in time to see Professor Noble return into the classroom. Strangely, when he glanced back to Malfoy, the Slytherin had his hands lowered and was making no effort to attempt to protect himself. Harry took the opportunity and stunned him, but somehow felt as if Malfoy was letting him win.

He shook away that thought: Malfoy would never willingly let Harry win in anything.

"Brilliant Harry! Absolutely brilliant!" Professor Noble strode over to the pair of boys and clapped Harry on the back. Harry felt his face turning red with embarrassment. He got enough flattery from the students at Hogwarts; he didn't need it from the teachers too. "Not that I expected anything less from you, but it really is incredible to see you in action." Malfoy glowered at him, and Harry did his best to ignore it. "On that note, how about you kids pack up and go to lunch early. Don't want you to overwork yourselves. Great job today! No homework this week!"

The students began to pack up and stream out of the classroom. Harry ambled to his desk slowly, lost in thought. Malfoy was winning; he would've won. But he didn't. He gave up. Why would he do that?

"Harry? You alright?" Hermione gently laid a hand on Harry's shoulder. Harry grabbed his bag and started towards the door.

"Yeah, I must just be hungry or something," he lied.

"I'm going to go check on Ron before lunch. You coming with?" Hermione followed Harry out the door and fell into step beside him.

"Of course."

"Oh! Let me bow down and kiss your feet Saint Potter!" Harry heard a distinctly haughty voice say. Once he got into the hall, he turned to see Malfoy across the way with his friends. "Seriously, the Professors worship him too? Bloody pathetic." Parkinson and Zabini snickered. Harry's blood boiled. As if it wasn't irritating enough for his Professor to start singing his praises in the middle of class, now he was being mocked for it. Before he could stop to think, he had shoved Malfoy against the stone wall, his forearm pushing into the Slytherin boy's chest.

"Do you want to say that to my face, pretty boy?" Harry glared at Malfoy, his green eyes burning into grey. The initial expression of shock that overtook the blonde boy's face slowly faded to confusion. "What?"

Harry released his grip on Malfoy. The taller boy stumbled away from the wall and straightened out his robes. Then he proceeded to stare at Harry.

"What?" Harry repeated, growing increasingly frustrated with Malfoy's lack of response.

"Did you just call me pretty, Potter?" His face twisted into a sneer of disgust, but his eyes were wild with bewilderment.

"That's what you're choosing to focus on?" Harry couldn't help his amused tone.

"Sod off." Malfoy shoved his way past Harry and caught up with his friends down the hall.

"What was that about?" Hermione asked as her and Harry made their way towards the Infirmery. "I've never seen Malfoy that flustered before."

"Not sure." Harry shrugged. "It was pretty funny though."

The rest of the day passed rather uneventfully. Ron was fine; Harry's stinging hex had barely grazed him. History of Magic was as boring as it had ever been, and even detention was quieter than usual. Malfoy refrained from speaking to Harry at all, and Harry returned the favor.

By the time Harry returned from detention, the rest of the boys in his dorm were already asleep. It had become part of Harry's nightly routine to read an entry in Sirius' diary before falling asleep if his mind was still churning. So, he reached under the bed and retrieved the book. He flipped to the next entry.

November 3rd, 1976

Dear Very Manly Not Diary,

My hair is not too long. Does it fall in my face whenever I lean over? Yes. Does it get in the way during Quidditch practice? Yes. But it is NOT too long. My hair is my pride and joy and the day I cut it to a "suitable" length is the day that the world will come to an end.

Luckily, Moony knows how to braid hair. Evans taught him. I've never liked her but I never thought that she'd actually try to turn Remus into a girl. Anyway, this skill has actually come quite in handy: I now have my own personal braid doer. Braider?

I hate to admit it, but they are rather practical, not to mention that I look devilishly handsome with a braid. Although, I think that has less to do with the hairstyle and more to do with me...

Harry closed his eyes, feeling the familiar sensation wash over him. When he opened them, he was surprised to find that he hadn't moved at all. He was still inside the Gryffindor boy's dormitory, but now, it was light outside, and the marauders were positioned all around the room studying.

Sirius leaned over his textbook, his long, black hair immediately falling into his face. He groaned and tossed it over his shoulder in an attempt to get his hair out of the way, but it promptly fell back down. He threw his book onto the floor and flopped onto his bed, giving up on his homework. Remus glanced over at him and snickered.

"Maybe if you cut your hair, it wouldn't fall into your face so much," he suggested, turning a page in his book.

"Cut my hair?" Sirius stared at Remus incredulously. "Don't be ridiculous Remus. My hair is the most attractive thing about me." He sat up in his bed and made a point of tossing his hair in Remus' direction.

"If you say so." Remus rolled his eyes and spared Sirius a glance. "You know you could always tie it back in a braid or something." Sirius gave him a look.

"Moony, do I look like a man who knows how to braid hair?"

"I could do it for you," Remus shrugged, looking back down at his novel.

"You can braid?" Peter piped up from across the room. James also peered up from his work to look at Remus, not bothering to hide the smirk that was making its way on his face.

"Sure, Lily taught me," Remus said, raising his eyebrows at James, who in turn scowled.

"So that's what you and Evans do together?" Sirius laughed, pushing himself off of his bed. "Sneak off and braid each other's hair? And to think James was worried you'd steal her from him." Harry looked at his father, who was laughing, but still eyeing Remus warily.

"Don't be silly, Pads." Remus waved his hand at Sirius. "My hair is much too short for Lily to braid. Your's, however, isn't."

Sirius waltzed over to Remus' bed and plopped himself opposite his taller friend.

"I bet you just want the opportunity to run your fingers through my gorgeous mane." He shook his head wildly, his hair flying all directions. Remus snorted.

"It was just an offer," he said, returning his attention to his book. "You don't have to take me up on it."

Quiet fell over the boys; only the sound of the occasional page flip broke the silence. Sirius got up and grabbed his own book before returning to Remus' bed. He tried to concentrate on his reading, but once again, his hair kept falling into his face. Harry chuckled as Sirius repeatedly tried to shake it away to no avail. Finally, he scouched closer to Remus and peered at his tawny-haired friend over his book.

"Moony," Sirius began begrudgingly. "Will you braid my hair?"

"What's the magic word?" Remus taunted, keeping his eyes focused on his book. Sirius snatched it out of his hands and threw it onto the bed.

"You're a bloody git."

"That's definitely not the magic word." Remus raised an eyebrow and smirked. Sirius rolled his eyes.

"Fine. Please?" He batted his eyelids at Remus with an exaggerated pout.

"Will you do your own homework for the next week?"

"We both know that's never going to happen." Sirius smiled devilishly.

"It was worth a shot," Remus said, shrugging. He got up so he was now kneeling on the bed. "You have to turn around though."

Sirius obliged and Remus grabbed the front sections of his hair and began to weave them together into a braid.

"You don't by any chance have a hair tie, do you?" He leaned over Sirius' head. Sirius looked up at him and shook his head. "Keep your head still Pads. James?" James peaked up from his homework to look at Remus. "Could you go down to the common room and ask Lily for a hair tie?"

"Ugh, I have to use one of Evans'?" Remus flicked Sirius' ear, making him shut up. Harry's father nearly jumped out of his seat at the opportunity to talk to Lily. He dashed out of the room and Peter laughed at his eagerness.

"I swear," he said. "If Lily told him to jump off a bridge, I'm pretty sure he'd do it."

"That he would, Wormy."

With that, the memory ended and Harry was back in his bed, diary in hand. He quietly tucked the book away and fell asleep moments later. 

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

8.4K 199 25
"It was my destiny to do it, and I couldn't. I couldn't do it, Hermione," Draco cried softly. "Draco, it was your choice not to. Don't worry, everyth...
713K 22.9K 50
"What do you want, Malfoy?" She asked angrily. He tutted at her as he sat down. "Is that any way to treat a client?" Her brow furrowed as she narrowe...
226 11 6
Harry smirked, "I should get an award." Draco rolled his eyes. "And what blasted person gave you that idea?" "You!" Draco scowled, placing his palm o...
115K 5K 55
"You're such a prick! I knew you hadn't really changed. You're just back to your old ways, torturing me." Harry can still feel Draco's hand around hi...