Haikyuu one-shots

By writingtheinserts

This is a series of one-shots not exactly related to my Golden Girl series or Keeping Promises series, they'r... More

Step in time with me: Futakuchi Kenji x Reader
Tea Leaves (RPG AU!): Kenma Kozume x Reader
Colors (Akaashi Keiji x Reader)
He Loves me: (Ennoshita Chikara x Reader)
Crazy: (Terushima Yuji x Reader)
Breaking and Entering (College! Sawamura Daichi X Reader)
Nosebleed (Aone x Reader)
Emotional difficulty (Kyotani Kentaro X Reader)

What was she like? (Azumane Asahi x Reader)

253 5 2
By writingtheinserts

Warnings: angst, slight language
Key: Italics implies flashbacks,
"This is speech" 'This is thoughts'

He promised he would take care of her. She was the stars, the sun, and the moon. Her laugh and smile could power the world, and her hugs could repair the most damaged of hearts. When she cried, he was there for her, when she was sick, he took care of her. She was the light of his world.

She was all that was left of you.

"Daddy?" His daughter called out to him. Her 7-year-old hands gripped tightly to a blanket that had belonged to someone special. It had belonged to you.

A man with long brown hair and a beard looked up at his daughter. She looked just like you did.

"Yes, pumpkin?" He calls, and his daughter curled up with him.

"What was mom like?" the man froze. He'd been avoiding the subject of her mother for years now, but maybe it was time.

"Come and sit down with dad, pumpkin. This is a long story..."

"A-and then she asked me for a pen! Do you think she wants to marry me?" a mature looking boy began waving his hands wildly about as he talked to his volleyball team in a nervous voice.

"If you keep being passive like that she won't! Why would she want to marry a wimp!" A wild-looking boy replied.

"Noya-san that was harsh!" A boy with a shaved head laughed.

"How long have you liked this girl, Asahi?" a plain-looking boy with black hair asks.

"Oh god, since I first saw her, but I've been too chicken to talk to her..." Asahi responds. He begins playing with a loose strand of hair.

"So you've liked her for about... 6 years? You guys went to the same middle school, right?"

"Yeah, I was surprised when I saw her here." A silver-haired boy and a fatherly looking black haired boy glanced at each other with an exasperated look. They've had it with their cowardly friend's shit along with other boys on the team.

"Just talk to her goddamnit!" the wild looking boy yelled. Asahi winced and cried a little.

"I-I don't know how to talk to her! She's just..." the fatherly looking boy took a glance at the door before raising his eyebrows and having a slight smile cross his face.

"Remind me again, who is this?" Asahi groaned.

"(L/name) (Name)-chan! She's super cute and sweet and she's amazing! The way she talks is perfect and the way she's super smart and... and..."

"Sounds like you're really in love with her." The silver-haired boy directed his eyes in the same direction that the fatherly teen next to him had. He began to smile as well.

"Yeah... I guess I am in love." Noya noticed his seniors looking back, and decided to look back himself. His eyes widened.

"Azumane-san..." a soft voice called out. He froze. He became stiff as his heart beat faster and faster. He trembled as he slowly began to turn his large body. There you were. Your big (E/C) eyes of yours staring directly into his. The rest of the team present also looked back on you.

"(L-L/Name)..." He felt his legs twitch at the sight of you.

"Is... is that how you feel about me?" you asked before biting your bottom lip. Asahi stared at you before jumping up and bolting.

"CATCH HIM! DON'T LET HIM GET AWAY! ENNOSHITA, TANAKA, NISHINOYA!" Asahi was suddenly tackled by three second years per the captain's orders. You blinked several times as Asahi struggled beneath their grasps. He was strong, but he wasn't stronger than three people, and the numbers were soon increasing. The silver-haired boy who had been standing by the ringleader soon joined in as well joined in with two other second-years. First-years watched on in shock.

"A-Asahi!" You screeched in a worried tone. He was getting dogpiled. He began crying as he attempted to look away from you.

"Hello (L/name)-san! Pleasure seeing you here!" the fatherly figure approached you. You began panicking.

"Sawamura-san! Is Asa- Azumane-san alright!?" you corrected yourself mid-sentence.

"You should go check on him." Sawamura moved out of your way. You dashed over to a pinned Asahi. He was shaking as you approached.

"(L-L-L/Name)-s-san!" He began to cry out of fear. You stare at him for a little before finding the words you wanted to say.

"Azumane... no, Asahi." You look him in the eye with a curious and scared look. "Did you mean... did you mean everything you said about me?" your hands shook slightly. Here he was. Your crush of 5 years. Ever since you saw him play a game in middle school, you've been enamored with him. You could never approach him, however. You only happened to be in the gym today because Sawamura asked you to come. Was this his plan?

"(L/Name)-san..."

"Call me (Name)! If you really feel that way, I feel the same!" You shout as your face turns bright red. You began to shake as he stared at you. All the people that had dogpiled him release him, but he continues to lie on the ground and stare at you. "A-Asahi-san?"

He then stands up and walks towards you. His hands were shaking, but they grasped your arms as he began to cry.

"D-Do you really feel the same?" You smile cheerfully at him and nod. He took you into an embrace.

"D-Do you think we could talk outside?" You ask as you notice the eyes of the entire volleyball team on you. Asahi nods as he takes your hand and leads you outside, out of sight of the rest of the team.

"How long have you felt the same?" were the first words out of his mouth. You look up at him with a red face.

"F-For 5 years... I saw you play volleyball one time, and I fell in love." You admit. He gawked with wide eyes. He could have been dating you all this time? He could have kissed you by now? "What... what about you?"

"For 6 years, when I first saw you walking the halls of middle school." You could have been dating him?

"I wonder if this is why Sawamura-kun asked me to come today..." You admit, and Asahi flinches.

"Eh?" He slowly moves his hands to your face, and you lean into his touch.

"He overheard me talking to a friend of mine about my... crush... on you." You close your eyes and blush as you thought about the incident.

"And then WHOOSH! Ahh... My heart began to race, it was like when I first saw him, Asahi-kun is such a strong ace...if only I could talk to him for more than a few words at a time..."

"We know (Name)-chan, that would make all of our lives easier if you could just confess to Azumane-san! Your crush is out of this world!"

"How many years now? 4?"

"No, it's been 5! 5 years of pinning after Azumane-san! 'Ooh! Asahi-this and aah Asahi-that!"

"Hey! Quit making fun of me! I can't help who I fall in love with!"

"Yes! But you can help how much you talk to him!"

"I-I asked him for a pen the other day!"

"OH, MY GOD! (NAME)-CHAN!"

"(L/Name)-chan, did you say you have a crush on Asahi?"

"EEP! Sawamura-kun!"

"He asked me to come, but he didn't give a reason, but I assumed it was so I could watch you..." He then placed both hands to your face as he shook and stared at you. It became harder to breathe with him looking directly at you, but you forced the air into your lungs as you mustered all the courage you could to wrap your arms around his neck and grip at his back. He was feeding off the courage you put forth and decided to be bold himself by hesitantly leaning in for a kiss. You flinch as his lips touch yours, but you slowly melt into it. You both have been waiting for this for years, and it was something you both quickly deepen. He let one hand slide to your waist and pulls you closer. You run your fingers through his hair. This was heaven. It was heaven to you.

"So you and mom met in high school?" his daughter looked up to him with those big (E/C) eyes of yours. He let out a small chuckle.

"Actually, we met in middle school, but we were too chicken to talk to each other." he moved a strand of brown hair out of his daughter's face. She was intently listening to her father. He had never talked about her mother before. "We started dating in high school. High school sweethearts."

Whenever he would see you in the hall, he would immediately run up to you and begin chatting with you about how your day was going. You both were always smiling at each other, and to some, it was sickeningly sweet. To others, it was the perfect love story. You would wait for him to be done with volleyball, and he would walk you home. Sometimes you had other third years tailing you and tease, but that didn't stop you from holding his hand the entire way home.

"Hey, Asahi-kun!" you called from the door of the gym with a medium sized container in your hands "I brought you lunch if you want it" you blushed and looked to the side. Asahi felt excitement well up inside him. He loved it when you surprised him like this. He felt so lucky to have a sweet girl like you as his girlfriend.

"GET A ROOM!" one of the second years shouts as he takes the lunch box from you and gives you a kiss on the forehead.

"WHEN'S THE WEDDING?" another second-year shouted. This comment made you blush, grip your cheeks and rush from the gym doors. A wedding? Would he really want to marry you? Your face continues to burn as you hid.

"Was she a good cook?" His daughter asked curiously again. He smiled as he reminisced about all the things she cooked for him.

"An absolutely amazing cook. Whenever I was having a bad day, she would whip up my favorite and everything was right in the world."

"Tonkotsu ramen? Sure, learning how to make it should be no problem!" You smile at your boyfriend. His cheeks turned pink as you smile at him, god you loved everything about him. The way he blushed especially. He was a big softie, and it made your heart race with every gesture he made towards you. You would do anything for him. When he gave you that goofy smile of his, it just made you melt even more.

"Did you do things for her?" His daughter asked as more of her hair fell in her face. He chuckled and moved the hair again. He made a note to himself to buy more of those hair clips she seemed to lose at school all the time.

"Every day I tried to do something for her, whether it was flowers, candies, chocolates, every day was valentine's day for her."

He peeked slightly into your classroom. You were chatting away with a friend of yours, who seemed to have gotten maybe 2 hours of sleep the night prior. The friend blankly nodded at everything you said.

"Yeah, it was really cute though, I hope they'll still have them in stock when I have enough money to get one..." Asahi began to listen to your wishes. Your friend noticed him but didn't point him out. She decided to throw him a bone instead.

"Sorry, what was it again?" She let out a big yawn. You pouted slightly.

"That super cute bread that the bakery is making right now! It's flying off the shelves! I've been broke the past couple days so I haven't been able to get a loaf..." you sigh "Jeez, you need to sleep more!"

"Yeah, I know." she sends him a quick wink. He mouths thanks before rushing off to fulfil your wish.

The next day, you had an upset look on your face. The bakery had run out of the cute bread that you wanted to try. They ran out before you could even get some money to buy one for yourself. You walked to the gym so that you could watch your boyfriend practice.

"Hey! How's it going (L/Name)-chan?" Sugawara greeted you. You forced a smile.

"It's going okay, just a little disappointed is all..."

"Asahi! Your wife is here!" Nishinoya, the libero and close friend of your boyfriend called out. You had gotten used to being called his wife, and it was just normal for you both now.

"Ah! (Name)!" Asahi called out to you with a smile on his face. You couldn't help but smile back at him. He was too cute.

"Hey, I'll be watching from my usual pla-"

"I got you this!" he suddenly shoved a bag into your hands. He surprised you slightly, and you blink several times at the bag before opening it. He waited with anticipation as he excitedly watched you peer inside. Your confused face soon turned to an adorable expression of joy and happiness as you saw a cute little face baked in bread peeking out of the bag. "That's the right one, right? I heard you wanted it but couldn't get it, so I managed to buy the last one before they went out of stock" He scratched the back of his head. He also had to fight off his idiot teammates who wanted to eat his gift to you. A smile was quickly spreading across your face as you jumped to embrace him. He caught you as you giggled and thanked him profusely. Your cheek rubbed up against his as he held you there. He quickly became addicted to the feeling.

After that, every time you came in to watch practice, he would have something new. It wasn't uncommon to see you walking around with flowers or reading something he had given you. His love for you grew stronger with each day, and your love for him was slowly becoming unbreakable.

"So when did you get married?" his daughter asked as Asahi ran his hand through his daughter's hair to put it back with a hair tie. He was an expert when it came to doing his daughter's hair, but for now, a simple ponytail will do.

"I asked her to marry me when we had our 5th anniversary."

The night was calm and cool. The subtle chirps of crickets mixed with the hum of cicadas. The skyway littered with stars and clouds occasionally brushed against the sky. He was waiting for you silently at the park next to some benches.

'This is how they do it in the movies right? I hope so... in the movies, this always works' his quickened heart rate was both from adrenaline and fear. It took his old friend Nishinoya to finally kick his ass enough to buy a ring, and it took several pep talks just to ask you to be here.

"Asahi?" a sublime voice soon hit his ears, causing his heart to shoot towards the moon.

"(N-Name)!" He turned to you and let his face drain of any anxiety he had before. You were even more beautiful than when they first met. your voice was clear and vivid like a stream. He was utterly in love, and he knew he forever would be.

"What did you want me to come here for? Everything okay?" He nodded furiously at you as he quickly ran over to you. He had completely forgotten his plan of sitting you romantically down on the bench.

"No! No! Everything is perfect! I mean, just fine! I mean! Not JUST fine, you're here so everything is great!" He put his hands to his face after he sputtered over every line he prepared for you. You smile and giggle at his antics.

"Asahi, you're acting weirder than usual, you sure everything's okay?" you question as you move closer to him. You wrap your arms around his neck and study his frustrated and nervous face. You hear him mutter something from under his hands. "Huh?" you ask him to clarify. He slowly removed his hands as he gave you a serious look. His face was sweet and serious as he studied the way you looked at him. Once he saw the intense love in your eyes, he went for it.

"(Name)... I want you to marry me" you jump a little at his sudden confession. "I'm sorry I wasn't able to be super romantic about it! I just got so choked up when I saw you I forgot everything I had planned!" his hands slowly made their way down and wrapped around you. "I was going to make this a proposal to remember, but I think now I just need to speak my mind..."

"Asahi..." you whisper.

"Ever since we started dating, I don't think I've ever been happier. I'm deep in love with you. I think about you daily if not hourly, and you're the most perfect person in the world. That's why I'm begging you to marry me!" your hands began to occupy themselves with his hair. "I can't imagine my life without you! I'll make you happy, I promise! I'll work hard for you! I'll make sure you'll want for not! I'll-" You quickly interrupt the meek man with a kiss. His eyes were wide as you gently calm him with the taste of you. As you felt his fluster fade, you slowly remove your lips from his.

"Yes." You reply simply as your eyes flutter open. Tears begin to form in his eyes as he processes your consent. He pulled you in close as he began to full on cry tears of joy. His emotional state overtook you as well as you began to cry with him.

"AH! I almost forgot!" He quickly backed away from you as he dug into his pocket "I... should probably give you the engagement ring, huh?" You smile and begin to laugh slightly as you wipe away tears. He hadn't even married you yet, but he had made you the happiest person alive.

"And after you got married you had me, right?" Asahi smiled as the young girl made herself comfortable in her father's lap. He kissed her head and nodded.

"Yup. I cried when you were born you know. You made mommy cry too." 'For many reasons, but I won't mention those until you're older...' Asahi thought to himself and grimaced.

You play with the silver band around your left ring finger and stare out the window. Your eyes were soft as they scanned for your husband and his friends to walk towards the building you lived in. A daintily decorated cake sat perfectly in the middle of the counter. You had worked hard on that cake, and you hoped your husband and his friends would enjoy it. You took a deep breath as you made a hand slowly down to your stomach.

"Jeez, not even 5 weeks and you already want me to eat that entire cake... It's for dad, so calm down!" you lightly scold the subtle lump. It would take a very observant eye to spot your pregnancy, and lucky for you, your husband was not overly observant. He had noticed your increase appetite, but you easily brushed it off as nothing. You smile as you shift your gaze to the neatly wrapped present sitting by the cake.

"(Name)? I'm home! I brought some people over!" You heard your husband call. Joy enveloped your entire being when you heard his voice.

"Welcome home!" you called back to him as you entered the living room. The wide smiles of the old Karasuno volleyball team greeted you.

"Ah! (Name)! How have you been!" Sawamura calls to you as he removes his shoes. Nishinoya and Tanaka hurried with their laces as Sugawara and Ennoshita kept a careful watch on the rowdy men.

"I've been good. Thanks for coming to celebrate Asahi's birthday!" As you survey the group, you began to become more nervous. Was now really a good time to tell him? You became more nervous as the close-knit group let themselves in. Asahi seemed happy, so you took a deep breath and continued to greet the party. Asahi must have noticed your uneasiness and took hold of you.

"Feel free to make yourselves at home." Asahi informed the group as you relaxed into his touch. For being such an anxious couple, you had remarkable calming effects on one another.

The team quickly took over the apartment. You and your husband happily watch as the team reconnect and catch up with one another. The amount of food they ate was impressive, but you luckily predicted the party's voracious appetite. As you watch the team become increasingly more excited, you brought out the cake.

"(Name)! Did you make that?" the former Karasuno libero calls to you. You nod as you gently place it down on the coffee table.

"I hope it's okay, I tried my best," Asahi was quick to smile and reassure you that anything from you was probably perfect, sparking some old groans that you hadn't heard in years. Your laugh filled the room. Their teasing had brought your nerves down from their anxious perch.

"She's my wife! I'm not allowed to say things like that to her?" Asahi bantered back, causing some other laughs and arguments to arise. You take the chance and duck into the kitchen one more time for the paper covered box. Your husband looks up and smiles when he sees you bring in the gift. He had been aware of it all day and had even asked about it, but you had told him that he would have to wait until tonight for him to open it. "Ah! Thanks so much for all of this (Name)," Your husband thanks you. You smile at him and nod. That's when the silver-haired setter began to notice something. He had lunch with you about a month ago, but you looked... different. You were overly cautious too. He slid his gaze over to Asahi, who seemed excited to see his friends again. The former ace gave no indication of him knowing anything about your strange change in demeanor. He wanted to shrug it off, but at the same time, he couldn't.

"Of course! You're the love of my life after all!" More groaning and banter began again as your syrupy words drip from your mouth. It was true though, you did love him. You loved him more than you loved anything before, but he had a contender that he was about to find out about. "Let's have cake before you open that, okay?" You say as the boys argue again. Ennoshita quickly came to help you as the rest of the team present bicker.

"You guys have been married for how many years now? 5?" Tanaka starts "You guys still act like newlyweds."

"I think it's cute, Asahi needs someone to constantly comfort him after all," Ennoshita adds as he gave a piece of the cake you made to Tanaka. Asahi flinches.

"What's that supposed to mean! I just love my wife! Am I not allowed to do that?!"

"You're allowed, but you just make everyone's teeth rot when you show any form of affection." Sugawara jabs.

"I just have a lot of love to give!" Asahi became flustered "She means a lot to me..." You blush at his words, but Sugawara screams.

"There it is again! Overly sugary goatee!" Sugawara quickly jabs your husband's side as you let out a soft laugh.

A little while later, Asahi was finally given permission to open the present you had given him. The rest of the party watches on as your nervousness consumes your half of the room. Sugawara and Sawamura pick up on it while Nishinoya excitedly looks over his old Ace's shoulders, effectively ignoring you along with Tanaka. Ennoshita was slightly aware of your nervousness but tried to focus his attention on Asahi.

Asahi ripped the paper and then pulled back the tape that constrained the small brown box. As he opened the box, his expression changed dramatically. Inside was a positive pregnancy test sitting atop a baby's onesie. Asahi stared at it with blank eyes as the rest of the room look over into the box.

"Asahi, I'm pregnant." You fill him in as his gaze shifts up to you. The rest of the room bursts into happiness.

"Congrats! This is amazing! Asahi you're going to be a dad!" Noya excitedly pats his friend's back.

"Congratulations (Name)! This is exciting!" Sawamura continued as he gently placed a hand on your shoulder.

"Thank you," You say nervously before turning to your husband "Asahi? You haven't said anything... is everything alright?" your nervous tone was obvious to everyone in the room as they soon focus their attention on Asahi. His stare was blank and unreadable. "Asahi?" You question him as you bravely reached out and touched him. He suddenly falls to the ground as he faints "ASAHI!!"

"You fainted?" the little girl asked as she played with her hair. Asahi smiles as he hugged his daughter tightly.

"I was overwhelmed with your announcement. I was excited and nervous all at the same time." He closed his eyes as he let his feelings from that day fill his mind once more "I was worried that I wouldn't be a good enough dad, but your mom soon made it a point to prove me otherwise."

"But you are a good daddy!" his daughter reached her hands up to his scruffy cheeks. He laughed slightly.

"I sure hope I am." his optimism masked the pain of his final memories of you. The memories of you telling him how scared you were to board that flight.

The memories of you telling him to take care of your at the time toddler daughter while you were gone. The memories of that dreaded and tragic news story. The memories of the precession of black and river of salt. He would never move on from you. You were the love of his life. You were sweet and kind and would do anything for the people you loved. He hoped that his daughter would grow up to share those traits of kindness. You were perfect, and so is she.

"Daddy?" Your daughter called to him, snapping him out of his daze.

"Yes?" He replied quickly and cheerfully. He made a promise to himself long ago that she would never see him cry for you.

"I love you" Her sunshine smile lit up his world as her tired eyes closed slightly. She was slowly dozing off, and her expression was soon engulfed by her dreams.

For a brief moment, he saw you. He saw your smile perfectly laid on her face, and he saw your bright eyes resting in her head. She was like your ghosts. A reflection of what had passed.

Asahi thanked his fortune that his daughter was a heavy sleeper, as tears began to roll down his face. He desperately missed you, and he hated how it sometimes hurt to look at his own daughter. He knew he had to be strong, and his daughter was more than enough motivation for that.

But sometimes, he wished he could just give up and maybe see you again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169K 3.5K 29
16+ U get added to a gc and shit happens 😀 Texting-AU mostly i don't own Haikyuu! this is kinda cringe in the beginning i'm sorry but the chapters...
76.9K 1.4K 64
HQ!! x Reader --Oneshots-- Where as (y/n)-you-are paired with many and most HQ!! guys, and girls if you want, just ask in the comments. The scenari...
753 10 12
This book is complete! I will not be taking requests no longer This is a Haikyuu oneshot book. Meaning its an x Reader. Enjoy chérie~!
11K 152 19
Just a bunch of oneshots with the Haikyuu characters :)