On Thin Ice

By hipstateasee

COMPLETED [boyxboy] After his religious mother kicks him out for being gay, Elijah Ellis moves in with his fa... More

Cast
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
49
50
Epilogue
Fun Facts
Q&A
Bonus | 01 - Fox's POV
Bonus | 02 - Fox's POV
Bonus | 03 - Fox's POV

48

133K 5.1K 9K
By hipstateasee

Waking up alone in Fox's bed was not something I was used to. Before opening my eyes, I felt around the mattress, grasping the comforter when I realized the bed was empty.

Fox and I had gone straight to his house after school on Friday afternoon. Since we had the house to ourselves, we ended up in his bedroom and I must have fallen asleep soon after that.

I crawled out of the bed, picking my clothes up off the floor and putting them on before heading downstairs where I found Fox and Wren sitting on the couch together, watching TV. The two of them sat side by side, not saying anything as they kept their focus on the television.

My lips quirked up as I watched the two of them. It may not have seemed like much, but the fact that they were actually doing something together, despite how mundane, was progress for the brothers. They weren't fighting or sitting on opposite sides of the room. Instead, they sat together in comfortable silence.

"Hey," I called out, walking over to the couch to sit next to Fox. He turned to face me and instantly smiled.

"Finally decided to get your ass out of my bed?" he joked with a grin.

I leaned into him, grabbing his arm and putting it around me. I couldn't get enough of being in his embrace. It felt like I had spent so much of my life without feeling comfortable with this sort of affection, because I had never gotten it. Now, it was all I wanted.

"You left me there," I mumbled, lying down so I could rest my head on his chest.

Fox wrapped his arm around me even tighter, putting his hand on the top of my head to play with my hair.

"Baby," he said, my eyes shooting up at him. "I did not say that as a pet name, I was calling you a baby," he quickly clarified.

I scoffed at his words. "I gave you a pet name."

He looked down at me, his brows furrowing in confusion. "No, you didn't."

I raised my eyebrows. "Foxy."

"Sh!" Fox covered my mouth with his hand, but he was too late. Wren was already laughing from his spot on the couch.

"Oh my God," Wren chuckled, shaking his head.

"Elijah," Fox whined, taking his hand off my mouth. I just laughed at his embarrassment. "That is not a pet name."

"It, quite literally, is," Wren pointed out, standing from the couch.

Fox glared up at his brother, but it wasn't like he usually did. They were having playful, harmless banter. It made me wonder what had happened while I was asleep that made them act civil with one another.

Wren pulled his car keys out of his pocket and handed them over to Fox.

"Take my car on your date," he said as if he wasn't giving Fox an option. "Just don't wreck it."

"I'm not you, I'll be fine," Fox retorted, grabbing the keys.

Wren rolled his eyes but didn't comment as he left the room to go upstairs. It was then that I noticed it was almost seven o'clock, otherwise known as the time we were supposed to meet up with Claudia and Holly.

"Why didn't you wake me up earlier? We have to go," I said, standing up from the couch and pulling him with me.

"Because you were worn out," Fox replied with a smirk, earning a light punch in the shoulder from me. "And you look so cute when you're sleeping."

I rolled my eyes. "You weren't even in there, so it's not like you were looking at me."

"I was for a little bit," he said, starting toward the front door.

I followed behind him as we walked out to Wren's car. Fox was more than frustrated that the new battery for his car hadn't come in yet, but he would hopefully have it by tomorrow.

"Wren and I talked," Fox admitted as he drove down the road, putting an end to the silence in the car.

"I figured," I replied, resting my arm next to his on the center console.

It was surprising that he was the one that brought it up, but I wasn't going to complain. I was too nosy for my own good, so I was dying to know what happened between the brothers.

Fox smiled over at me briefly before putting his eyes back on the road. The smile was almost mischievous, like he knew something I didn't.

"Is there anything you want to own up to?" he asked in a playful tone.

The streetlights illuminated his face and his skin glowed, making it hard to focus on anything he said while I looked at him.

"I don't think so..." I trailed, confusion clouding my mind. I thought back on anything I had done that would require me telling it to Fox, and came up with nothing.

"So you didn't talk to Wren about me?" he wondered, though it didn't sound accusatory. His tone was still easy and light.

It seemed like all of my conversations with Wren had revolved around Fox; he was the only thing the two of us had in common.

"Whenever I talk to Wren, it's about you," I admitted with raised eyebrows. "I told him I'd talk to you about making amends, but only because I thought you would want that."

I didn't know the extent of how damaged the relationship between the two of them was, but I knew it took a toll on Fox. I had spent so much time resenting Josh, and I knew how badly that made me feel. Fox and Wren's resentment went far deeper and much longer.

"Well, we talked," Fox told me, stopping at a red light. "For a while."

I smiled over at him as the green light shined into the car and he started driving again.

"It's a start," he continued with a sigh. "We're not completely fixed, but he apologized."

"He did?" I asked, my eyebrows lifting on my forehead.

That was the most surprising thing of all. Wren was hellbent on not feeling guilty or the need to apologize. I would've paid to hear the words come out of his mouth.

Fox nodded. "I did too. We've both done things."

That was the last we talked of Wren for the time being. I knew Fox wouldn't want to get into all the details. It must have been an incredibly candid, vulnerable conversation if the brothers had finally reached an understanding with one another.

Fox pulled up to the restaurant and memories automatically flooded my head of the night I had come here with Micah a few weeks ago. That night I was broken and fragile, on the verge of having a mental breakdown. Tonight, I would make better memories .

Claudia and Holly were already sitting across from each other at a booth near the front of the restaurant. As we made our way to them, Claudia quickly stood up from her seat and exaggeratedly waved us over.

"Sit down, Claud," Fox hissed as we reached the table, sitting next to her and grabbing her arm to pull Claudia down beside him. "You're so embarrassing."

"I think she's funny," Holly giggled as I sat down beside her, bumping her hip with mine.

"I honestly expected you guys to be later," Claudia admitted with a wide grin. "Fox is always on 'Fox time' so..."

"Shut up," Fox replied, rolling his eyes and picking up his menu.

"Elijah," Holly called to me, holding her phone out in front of us. "Get in my snapchat for Austin, he's jealous he wasn't invited."

I chuckled as Holly snapped a picture of the two of us, sending it on its way to Austin.

"I thought since you picked the restaurant you would already know what you wanted," Claudia said, leaning over Fox's shoulder to see his menu.

"You picked?" I asked him, grabbing my own menu.

Fox nodded. "That was the deal."

"He only agreed because I told him he could pick where we go," Claudia continued. "It didn't have to be dinner, but it sure as hell couldn't be ice skating."

"I thought you had gotten better at that?" I questioned with a chuckle.

Holly shook her head. "I still have to pull her around, but I don't mind."

Fox didn't seem too interested in the conversation, his eyes wandering over his menu to look around the room. I turned my head to follow his line of vision to see Ian standing at a table not too far from us, taking an order.

I looked back at Fox and raised my eyebrows at him, only for him to shake his head and put the menu down.

"So what's going on with hockey?" Claudia asked, gaining Fox's attention.

"Suspended for five games," Fox answered in a bored tone. "We already missed two this week."

His eyes drifted over to Ian as he walked by the table, looking as if he was trying to avoid all eye contact with us.

"That doesn't seem fair," Holly said with a frown. "It sounded like the other team started it."

"They did," I told her. "But it is what it is. They can't do nothing."

Our server came to the table and took our orders while Fox still followed Ian with his eyes. It was now obvious the reason he chose this restaurant; he wanted to spy on Ian.

"I'm gonna head to the bathroom," Fox suddenly said, standing up from the table and walking away.

"What's his problem?" Claudia asked me, pointing her thumb in the direction he went, which was not the same direction as the bathrooms.

"No idea..." I trailed as I watched him walk away and eventually disappear.

"I'm so glad you two finally got together," Claudia commented with a content sigh.

Holly nodded in agreement and looked at me with a smile.

I mustered out a quick "thanks" but my mind was still on Fox and what exactly he was doing. After a few more moments, I excused myself from the table to go find him, telling the girls I was headed to the bathroom.

It didn't take long for me to find Fox in the back, standing in front of Ian, who was backed into a corner. Fox was speaking in a hushed tone but looked as if he wanted to yell.

"You're not fucking going home tonight," Fox hissed in Ian's face.

"I don't need you to fucking baby me," Ian spat, crossing his arms over his chest.

Ian's gaze darted to me as he avoided eye contact with Fox.

"Come get your fucking boyfriend," Ian snapped at me, causing Fox to turn around. "He's being annoying."

I didn't know what to say. I felt like I had walked in on a very private conversation.

"You're being stupid!" Fox hissed, turning back to Ian and throwing his hands up in the air.

"I'm not staying at your house every time something happens!" Ian retorted. "And I can't deal with you right now."

"Then I'll stay at your house with you," Fox replied, crossing his arms over his chest.

"No, I can't deal with you," Ian said in a low tone.

Fox was about to respond before I cut him off.

"You can stay at my place tonight if you need to," I suggest, gaining the attention of both boys. "Hang out with me and Josh."

"If that'll get Fox to leave me the fuck alone," Ian muttered, pushing past Fox and returning to work.

Fox and I watched him walk away while Fox came to stand by me.

"Thanks," Fox mumbled. "I was really worried about him going home tonight."

"Did you just choose this restaurant so you could spy on Ian?" I asked him with raised eyebrows, though I already knew the answer.

Fox gave me a sheepish smile before leading me back to the table with Claudia and Holly.

"Was there a party in the bathroom?" Claudia asked with a chuckle as we sat back down at the table.

"There was a line," Fox lied in a dull tone.

"You're so full of shit," Claudia retorted.

"Not anymore."

That comment earned Fox a look of disgust and a shove in the shoulder from Claudia.

Our food came not too long after that, Claudia insisting on taking photos of our meals before we ate them.

Ian's shift had ended before we finished our meal and Fox kept an eye out to make sure he didn't leave the restaurant. I didn't know what had Fox so stressed about Ian going home, but it was obviously something serious.

Once we finished our meals and paid the bill, we said our goodbyes to Claudia and Holly then made our way over to where Ian sat alone at a table.

"Come on," Fox said to Ian as we passed him, walking ahead of both of us.

Ian glared at the back of Fox's head as he slammed his hands down on the table and shoved himself up.

"Why are you two so annoyed with each other?" I asked Ian as we walked together. He stared straight ahead, his fiery eyes still scowling at Fox.

"He's fucking nosy," Ian spat.

Fox just cared about him. That was the thing about Fox; he seemed bitter and cold, but he cared a lot about the people closest to him.

I didn't reply to Ian as we made our way to the car. Ian found his way to the backseat and slammed the door shut behind him. The tension in the car was thick on the way to the house, none of us speaking.

Ian didn't say anything when we finally pulled up to my house. He just got out of the car and started making his way to the front door.

"Hopefully he cools down," Fox said, causing me to take my eyes off Ian's retreating figure and turn to him. "If he doesn't, don't take it personal. He just gets weird about his home life."

I nodded, biting down on my bottom lip. "We'll be fine."

I leaned in, kissing Fox's lips briefly before getting out of the car and following Ian into my house.

Ian wordlessly followed me up to my room, standing in the doorway as I sat down on my bed across from him.

"You can stay in here or down on the couch," I told him, breaking the silence.

"I should've just went home," Ian said with a scoff. "But Fox wouldn't leave me the hell alone. You don't need to babysit me."

"I'm not babysitting you," I replied with an eye roll. "We just don't want you going home to a dangerous situation."

Ian and I weren't the closest of friends, but I still didn't want to send him home to where he could potentially be harmed.

"It's not dangerous," Ian retorted, irritation clear in his tone.

"I know you don't see it that way, but being physically harmed is abuse," I told him.

Ian's eyes darkened as he leaned against the door frame. He crossed his arms over his chest, directing his narrowed eyes into mine.

"Remember when I was out with Micah that one night and you watched us to make sure nothing bad happened and took me home later?" I reminded him, standing up from the bed to be level with him.

That night was the first time I had felt close to Ian. It was the first time I had seen us as actual friends.

"Yeah?" he responded in an annoyed voice, like he couldn't tell where I was going with this.

"That's like what Fox does for you and what I'm doing right now," I continued, looking straight into his dark eyes. "So just hang out here tonight. We don't even have to talk, we can just stare at the wall if you want."

I swore I saw Ian crack a smile at that, but it vanished just as soon as it appeared.

A moment later, Josh and Trevor appeared behind Ian in my doorway. Ian and I shared looks of shock.

"Hey Trev," I greeted with a wave as Ian finally entered my room.

"Hey!" Trevor replied with a wide grin.

"Where's Fox?" Josh asked, looking around the room with a confused expression.

"Home," I told him.

Josh gave Ian and I a strange look, but didn't comment further. I was sure he wanted to ask questions and only didn't because he knew I would ask about him and Trevor.

We didn't stay in my bedroom for long as my fathers yells caused Josh and I to rush down the stairs and into the kitchen where Dad was having a heated conversation over the phone. Mindy sat at the table with a startled expression as Dad paced the floor.

"I swear to God, Susan, I will file a restraining order!" Dad exclaimed, his face turning red. "Leave my son alone!"

Dad and I shared eye contact, tears pooling in his as he listened to whatever my mother said on the phone. His jaw clenched as he pressed his lips tightly together while my mouth gaped slightly. The startled look on my face caused Dad to hang up the phone and place it down on the table before making his way to me.

"Did you know your mother and Dave planned to take you with them to Pennsylvania?" Dad asked in a shaky tone, placing his hands on my shoulders.

My breath hitched and all I could do was nod, Dad letting out a frustrated sigh and looking down at the floor briefly.

"You should've told me," he said in a low tone.

"Dad," I choked out. "They can't take me."

Dad sighed again, looking over to Mindy and Josh before bringing his gaze back to mine.

"Your mother is getting a lawyer involved," Dad told me in an even voice, keeping his hands locked on my shoulders.

"She can't do that," I immediately denied, shaking my head. "I'm eighteen. She can't force me to go anywhere."

"I know, I know," Dad replied, pulling me into a hug. "But I don't know what exactly her lawyer is going to be able to do, since, even though you're eighteen, you're still a high school student."

I rested my head on his shoulder, suddenly feeling tired at the thought of my mother somehow being able to get me back into her grasp.

"Then we get a lawyer involved," Mindy said in a hard tone, standing from the table. "I'm sick of this and I'm sick of her trying to tear Elijah away from us."

I picked my head up and Dad nodded in agreement.

"I don't care how much it costs," Mindy continued. "We're putting an end to this. Now."

I made my way back up to my room a few moments later, Josh following closely behind me.

"Everything is going to end up fine," Josh assured me, patting my shoulder as I headed into my room.

I nodded at him and entered my bedroom where Ian and Trevor stood in awkward silence. I would have laughed at the two of them if I wasn't feeling so emotionally spent. Josh motioned for Trevor to follow him out of the room and left Ian and I alone.

"I won't even ask what that was all about," Ian said after Josh had shut the door.

"Just my mom trying to control me," I said with a heavy sigh, throwing myself down on my bed and staring up at the ceiling.

"The same mom that threw you out for being gay?" Ian asked, sitting beside me.

"The very same one," I replied.

Ian shook his head, looking down at me. "I guess we both have fucked up moms."

I snorted out a laugh. "I guess so."

It wasn't long before I started dozing off, the emotions from what had happened wearing me down. Ian had turned on my TV and started flipping through the channels as he sat beside me.

Just as I was about to fall asleep, my phone started ringing with Fox's name showing up on the caller ID.

"Hey Foxy," I answered, hearing Ian let out a snort at the pet name.

"Elijah, it's Wren," Wren said, his voice sounding rushed.

I sat up on the bed, my brows knitting together in confusion. "Wren? Is everything okay? Where's Fox?"

"Fox is in the hospital."

**

Hi all! Thanks for reading!

I know how much you all love cliffhangers, so I decided to give you one. As a treat :)

Please let me know what you thought of the chapter! What did you think about Fox and Wren's interactions at the beginning of the chapter? And Fox admitting they apologized to each other? What did you think about the double date with Claudia and Holly? And Ian's drama being added to the mix? What about Dan and Mindy finding out about Susan and Dave's plans? And the cliffhanger? Predictions about what happened to Fox?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

238K 11.9K 35
(bxb) After a year of surviving an all boys boarding school, William Brown thought he had finally navigated the ups and downs that the rich, private...
13.5K 518 20
Harry Bradford is tired of being lonely. He's stood back and watched as his best friend, ex-boyfriend, and even his sister find love in extraordinary...
575K 17.3K 37
[BoyxBoy] Kai Carter has been through hell and back. His parents are abusive, homophobic and don't support him financially so he has to work part ti...
3.3K 99 18
---Brothers best friend, Figure Skating x Hockey Player, Boy x Boy-- --The things Váli likes about figure skating: the crisp feeling of his blades on...