Why me? ~ mark sloan

By calix_schreave

"Sometimes when you get hurt, all it takes is one touch from that right person, and everything is suddenly ok... More

A/N
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FORTY
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FORTY-NINE
CHAPTER FIFTY
CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE
CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO
CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE
CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

2.7K 45 16
By calix_schreave

Mark woke up and groaned as the sunlight hit his eyes. His immediate response was to cover his eyes but as he went to move his arm he felt Vanessa cling onto it, not letting him go.

He smiled and stopped trying to move his arm as he just watched her body move up and down slightly as she breathed slowly while she slept. Her fingers absentmindedly played with the ring on Mark's finger as she held onto his hand.

Vanessa's eyes fluttered open and she turned her head to meet the pair of bright blue eyes behind her. She immediately smiled at him and he wiped a piece of her hair behind her ear before kissing her quickly.

"Morning." He smiled and her smile grew.

"Good morning." She responded before standing up and walking to the bathroom. Mark watched her leave and groaned, flopping back down onto the bed and rubbing his forehead. 

"We need to start packing for the honeymoon." Vanessa informed as she walked back into the room. 

"Mm, now?" Mark frowned and Vanessa sat on the edge of the bed, laughing slightly.

"Just today. We're leaving tomorrow so..."

"Why did we agree on leaving for our honeymoon they day after the day after our wedding?"

"Because our babysitters can't babysit until tomorrow."

"Who're the babysitters again?" Mark asked, smirking slightly as he rested his head on the headboard and looked at her.

"Lots of different people in the hospital - they're spending a few days with every uncle and auntie they have." Vanessa replied as she got back up and grabbed some clothes for her to change into.

"So who's picking them up tomorrow?"

"Owen."

"Alright." Mark stood up and walked to where Vanessa was getting changed and placed a kiss on her shoulder before she pulled her shirt on and she giggled slightly.

"Stop it," She laughed as he wrapped his arms around her waist, stopping her from pulling her trousers on. He kissed up and down her neck, "Mark Sloan, stop it."

"Mm...nope," His grip on her waist tightened and his kisses became more frequent, "Vanessa Sloan."

She smiled at the name and placed her hands on his. She felt his smile against her neck but it instantly fell as she broke his grip on her waist and turned to face him as she pulled her trousers on quickly.

Mark stared at her as she got changed and she threw her pyjama bottoms at him. He caught them with one hand just before they hit his face.

"You want me to pack these?" He joked and she smiled, shaking her head fondly as she turned her back to him and walking into their wardrobe to search for clothes she was going to pack for their honeymoon.

***

"Hey, little guy." Owen called as he walked through the door and had just enough time to catch Charlie as he ran into his arms.

"Owen?" Vanessa called from the living room as she walked to the front door as Owen pushed it shut.

"Hi." He smiled at her and she was about to say something when Amelia came running toward him as well.

"Oh-Oh." She called as she hugged Owen's leg and Owen brought a hand down to her back to support her.

"Mark's just bringing the bags down." Vanessa informed and as if on cue, Mark came bounding down the stairs with their suitcases in his hands. 

"Who's having the kids after you?" He asked Owen and Owen thought about it for a second before remembering.

"Ah. Shep."

"Right." Mark eyed Owen warily. He was scarily overprotective of the twins even though they would be well taken care of by anyone in the hospital and Vanessa had no problem with letting them spend time with their other family members.

"Mark." Vanessa warned and he shook his head as if ridding himself of a thought.

"Right." He said again but with more confidence. Owen laughed and picked Amelia up onto his other hip as Vanessa grabbed her bag and handed Owen the keys to the house. 

"I don't care if you stay here with Cristina as long as you don't let her mess get everywhere," She instructs and he chuckles, "But all the twins' stuff is here so here are the keys. You have the list of things...uh-"

"V, they're fine." Owen reminded her and she nodded her head.

"Yeah, yeah," She kissed Amelia and Charlie's heads and wrapped her arms around Owen in a quick hug, "Bye bye, babies." She waved to the children and they waved back as the taxi pulled up to take her and Mark to the airport.

"Bye!" Owen yelled, using his hand to wave Amelia's arm, making everyone chuckle as Mark loaded the bags into the trunk of the car.

"See you in a few weeks!"

---

Vanessa and Mark were sat on the plane, half way to their honeymoon destination and Vanessa hadn't stopped bouncing her leg up and down since they took off. Mark placed a hand on her leg comfortingly and she looked over at him.

"I hate planes." She breathed.

"I know." He smiled and she leaned her head on his shoulder as he breathed in the scent of her hair - coconut and macadamia.

"No-one is gonna die on a plane - they're safer than cars." He comments before kissing her head gently.

"Mm." She hummed in response as she focused on the feeling of Mark's shoulder moving her head up and down slowly. Mark rested his head on hers and the pair fell asleep together, comforted by the others touch.

***

"...and it was funny because then she fell over." Mark finished the story, his head resting on Vanessa's stomach as he told their unborn child a story to stop it from kicking. Vanessa smacked his head gently.

"Ah!" He cried, still smiling as he lifted his head off of her stomach. He moved up so his face was level with hers and kissed her gently. She ran her fingers through his hair as the kiss became more heated.

She moved further onto the bed and he followed her. He leaned down and captured her lips again, lazily working on pulling her top off of her. That was until her phone rang.

"Mm, ignore it." She mumbled against his lips and he smiled into the kiss but opened his eyes, looking to the right to her phone to see it was Owen.

He pulled away and picked the phone up, showing Vanessa who it was before answering it and putting it on speaker.

"Owen?" Vanessa asked, worry seeping into her voice.

"Oh! Oh, everything's fine - don't worry." He assured her, his voice sounding weird over the phone.

"Why'd you call?" She asked as Mark, still holding the phone flopped onto the bed and she laughed slightly.

"Okay but I don't want you to worry." He reiterated and Vanessa sighed.

"Yeah, okay." She agreed.

"I left Cristina with the twins, to make them dinner, and Amelia fell over and hit her head on the corner of the table." He explained quickly and Mark sat bolt upright.

"What!"

"She's fine. We brought her into the hospital and Derek's working on it and she's okay. Meredith is doing this whole speech thing about responsibility and everything's okay." He covered quickly and Vanessa pinched the bridge of her nose.

"She's fine?" She asked.

"Yeah - hold on." He took the phone away from his ear and Vanessa could hear a commotion and she started to panic as Mark placed his hand on hers to calm her down.

"Sorry, trauma came in. She's fine, everyone's fine here. I dropped Charlie with Arizona as soon as we got here - he's fine too. I only tell you because I know you'd kill me when you get home if I hadn't told you. Enjoy your honeymoon. Bye!"

"Bye, Owen." She sighed and Mark hung up the phone.

---

"Crap." Derek muttered as he looked at Amelia's head. The corner of the table had really damaged her head and what he thought was a simple cut might need some pretty hefty stitches.

"Hunt," He called and Hunt pulled the phone away from his ear, "It went pretty deep, what happened?"

"Left her with Cristina and she fell - not something I'll do again," Owen explained as he walked into the room, "Hold on. Sorry, trauma came in. She's fine, everyone's fine here. I dropped Charlie with Arizona as soon as we got here - he's fine too. I only tell you because I know you'd kill me when you get home if I hadn't told you. Enjoy your honeymoon. Bye!" He ended the call with Vanessa just as Amelia began to cry.

"Hey, you're okay." Owen cooed as he bent down slightly and grabbed Amelia's tiny hand in his march larger one.

"Yeah we need to stitch this up - we need someone to hold her so she doesn't move." Derek says and Owen gulps. The last thing he wanted to do was hold down his niece as she cried - he wanted to help her but putting her under any pain killers wouldn't be a very good idea.

"O-okay." He placed his hand on her stomach and allowed her to grip his finger with her hand as Derek started the stitches, cringing to himself as she cried loudly.

It was a horrible thing, causing your family pain.

***

"Ow, ow, ow," Vanessa complained as the baby kicked harder, "Mark." She drew out his name and he looked over at her from where he was cooking them dinner - something they loved about the hotel, the ability to cook for themselves whenever they wanted.

"Come over here and talk to the baby - it hates me." She groaned and he smiled at her, walking over and laying his bare chest on her thighs as he held his head hear her stomach.

"I'll tell you about the time that your mother kicked me out for a weekend because I said I would rather camp with uncle Derek than her." He started and Vanessa leaned her head back onto the arm of the sofa, laughing gently as she listened to him tell the story.

"Your mom is terrible at camping and your uncle Derek lived in a trailer for months! He has more experience. But after she kicked me out I made it up to her by taking her camping in uncle Derek's trailer," Mark looked up to see Vanessa's eyes closed as she listened. He put his hand to his mouth as if whispering a secret, "She's such a sucker for things like that. When she get's angry all you have to do is kiss her and then she's fine." 

"Hey!" She called and he smiled, leaning up and kissing her gently. She instantly relaxed and Mark pulled away, smiling.

"Ha! You just proved my point," He leaned back down to her stomach, "Sucker." 

"I'll take the pain of the kicking." She pouted, pushing him off of her as he laughed until he fell onto the floor with a thump.

"Ohh." He groaned, clutching his arm and rolling around on the floor. Vanessa laughed and he soon joined her as he pulled her gently down with him, careful that she didn't hit her stomach on anything.

They both laid on the floor, laughing at each-other and they couldn't think of any other way to be spending their time. 

***

"Alright. I had the twins and then Meredith and then Jake and then Avery?" Owen ran through the list and Jackson nodded, "Okay...after Avery was Robbins and Torres and then who had them?" 

Everyone was gathered in Vanessa and Mark's living room, trying to figure out the order of people who took care of the twins, knowing Mark would want to know who had them.

"I did." Alex raised his hand and everyone nodded.

"So me, the Shepherd's, Jake, Avery, Robbins and Torres, Karev..." Owen read the list out, tapping the pen on his chin.

"We're missing two people." Derek commented, turning to Alex.

"I gave them to...Grey." He remembered and Lexie nodded, confirming that it was true. 

"Grey? Seriously?" Owen asked, wrapping his arm more protectively around the twins that were sat on his knee.

"Hey! You let Karev have them." Lexie pointed out and everyone nodded in agreement - even Alex.

"Alright, Grey where next?" 

"Um..." She scrunched her face together, trying to remember and everyone looked at her judgmentally, "I'm sorry! I was preoccupied!"

"Preoccupied? Sloan's gonna kill you if he doesn't know where his children stayed while he was gone." Jackson commented and Lexie rested her head in her hands.

"Aha! The chief!" 

Everyone went silent as they received the information. Had Lexie seriously handed the babies over to the chief?

"The what?" Derek asked, his voice raising slightly.

"He said he would take them! Him and his wife had a good time apparently." Lexie defended herself and Owen rolled his eyes.

"Oh, my God." Arizona muttered, picturing the chief taking care of the twins who were a challenger for even her and Callie combined. She had no idea how Jackson, Alex, Jake and Lexie were able to have them by themselves.

"Right. Well they should be home any minute now so we need to all remember that order because they're gonna ask us how they were and you can't forget otherwise they'll think you're lying." Meredith recalled from when she spoke on the phone to Vanessa and she thought Meredith was lying about having the kids because she couldn't remember what they had for breakfast the other day.

"It's their first time leaving their kids - if you have to make details up, don't. She can tell when you're lying. It's weird." Jackson informed.

Everyone prepared themselves for the endless amounts of questions from the parents who were due back any minute.

*******************************************

A/N: this is really just a filler chapter so that i could get their honeymoon in ;)

but yeah - any plot suggestions? I've got some ideas but hearing what you would want is always helpful <3

this is bad - sowwy :()

Thanks for reading :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.7K 1.2K 37
No matter how many times you get knocked down, you will always have someone to pick you back up.
9.6K 101 35
You never realise somethings missing until you've lost it. ' if you love someone you tell em'
611 47 4
"Every night I almost call you just to say it always will be you Wherever you are." * * * Sometimes things don't work out the way we want th...
882 2 24
"you move me" "i what?" "you move me. everything you do and everything you say, it just affects me in a way nothing else can. i really like you and i...