Hard to Find

By annasteffey

[FREE Novel with PAID bonus content] After an awful night out, social worker-Skylar Leighton-believes her lif... More

♡ Authors Note ♡
Epigraph
Chapter One - Blondie
Chapter Two - No Strings Attached
Chapter Three - Friends
Chapter Four - Realizations
Chapter Five - Groundhog Day
Chapter Six - Alone
Chapter Seven - One Shot too Many
Chapter Eight - She
Chapter Nine - Peace Offerings
Chapter Ten - True Colors
Chapter Eleven - Forgiving
Chapter Twelve - One Step at a Time
Chapter Thirteen - Deals
Chapter Fourteen - Tidal Wave
Chapter Fifteen - Business
Chapter Sixteen - Signs
Chapter Seventeen - Loveless
Chapter Eighteen - Hallucinate
Chapter Nineteen - Phone Calls
Chapter Twenty - Nobody Knows
Chapter Twenty One - Letters
Chapter Twenty Two- Hidden Objects
Chapter Twenty Three - We meet again
Chapter Twenty Four - Are you Ready
Chapter Twenty Five - Memories
Chapter Twenty Six - Lies
Chapter Twenty Seven - Ms. Leighton
Chapter Twenty Eight - Just Breathe
Chapter Twenty Nine - Perspective
Chapter Thirty - Let Down
Chapter Thirty One - Silver Lining
Chapter Thirty Two - Listen To The One Who Loves You
Chapter Thirty Three - Beginning of the End
Chapter Thirty Four - The Parnell's
Chapter Thirty Six - This Feeling
Chapter Thirty Seven - Bittersweet Silence
Chapter Thirty Eight - Hard To Find
Epilogue
♡Ending Authors Note♡
Bonus: The Engagement

Chapter Thirty Five - Photos

13.4K 805 33
By annasteffey

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

c h a p t e r t h i r t y f i v e

{Photos}

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Jayden's POV

I tuck the only picture I have of my daughter into my wallet.

Not only does Ellie have my features, but she's also a spitting image of Olivia. Seeing Ellie brings back so many memories. I've been picturing her as a baby, but she's grown up, and it makes my heart tighten. I'm thankful Amelia gave me this picture.

"To making progress," Skylar raises her shot glass. I mimic her by raising mine. We clink glasses and swallow all of its content. I wave the bartender over for a refill.

We decided to get celebratory drinks at the hotel bar because of how well the dinner went. Although they didn't give me an answer about a relationship with Ellie, things are looking promising. I like the Parnell's, I really like them.

"What's going on up here?" Skylar gently taps on my temple.

I run my hands over my face. "This feels like a fever dream."

With the biggest grin, Skylar leans in and smashes her lips against mine, almost knocking me off my stool. I can tell the liquor is slowly taking over her body, it makes me chuckle.

"You're going to have to call Addy and tell her what happened. She's been blowing up my phone with questions." Skylar shows me her screen littered with messages.

"I'll call her. Do you want to head up?"

She nods, not knowing I ordered a bottle of champagne that's waiting for us in our room; along with another surprise.

Skylar has devoted so much time and energy to helping me these past months. She did not turn me away or judge. She consoled me when I needed it the most, and she let me have my moments.

She spoke so highly of me at dinner; I feel guilty. Guilty for the fact I dragged her into my mess. That when everything with her dad occurred, she didn't take time for herself. She brushed off their encounter like it was no big deal.

I know my guilt will fix nothing. Instead, I want to do more and make up for all the time she spent doting on me. It's my turn.

"I can't wait to get out of this dress, it's too tight." She groans, wiggling around in the elevator like she has an itch.

I tug at the strap. "It will be off soon enough." My words stop her fidgeting. She looks at me with those big, beautiful eyes and I know it's game over. The moment we step foot in our room, she's going to pounce.

Just as I predict, the door is barely closed, and her mouth is on mine. I don't take it easy. I part her lips with my tongue the first chance I get. My shoulders instantly droop from the sweet relief the taste of her lips brings.

I kiss down her neck until I hit the ticklish spot that always makes her laugh. "Jay," she warns, looking me directly in the eyes. I smile and kiss the tip of her nose.

She stumbles toward the bed to sit, but finds a large bouquet and chilled champagne in her spot. "What the—Jayden! Did you do this?"

"Had some help, but yes, it's all for you."

She lowers her eyes, placing her hands on her hips. "But why?"

I was not expecting that reaction. I sit on the bed, facing her, so she's between my parted legs. I hold her waist, and she drapes her arms over my shoulders. "Because you're my girlfriend, and boyfriends get things for their girlfriends."

Her soft hands caress the back of my neck and she looks at me in a way I've never been looked at before. I know she wants to tell me to stop being sappy, but I think part of her likes it.

I never liked relying on people. From a lawyer's perspective, I know how reckless and deviant humans can be. But Skylar came along and took a weight off my shoulders without me asking. She's selfless and I don't think she knows it. She deserves all the love she can get.

"Thank you, they're beautiful." She brings the roses to her noses, inhaling deeply. She doesn't notice the little box perched beside the ice bucket at first, but when she does, her eyes grow three sizes wider.

"It's not what you think." I laugh, dismissing her worry. I see her whole body relax from the reassurance. "I wanted to get you something other than flowers."

She slowly opens the box, and I eagerly watch her expression change. Her fingers graze over the necklace and I pray I did a good job picking it out. Skylar barely wears jewelry, so I didn't have much to go off from. To be honest, I don't even know if she likes jewelry.

"Oh, Jayden, it's beautiful." She tugs it out of the package and turns her back toward me, wanting to put it on. I push her hair to the side and clasp it around her neck. Just when I think she's going to return the favor with a kiss, she runs to the mirror.

"I love this. Thank you so much." She gently touches the gold necklace.

"You're welcome." I open the champagne bottle and pour us a generous glass. We toast one more time to today's success.

She takes a long sip of the bubbly drink, then looks at me with a devious expression. "You promised to take my dress off, hmm? But it doesn't seem to be off yet."

"I can arrange that."

I set our drinks on the nightstand. Giggling, she attempts to roll away, but I grab her just in time. I pin her down on her stomach and slowly unzip the back of her dress. She wiggles underneath me, still laughing into the sheets. Once nothing is covering her back, I lean down and kiss up her spine.

She turns around so we're facing each other and I satisfy every one of her wishes.

❈❈❈

Monday comes fast and we haven't received word from the Parnell's. I emailed them the day we got back from Baltimore, just so they know how thankful I am that they agreed to meet us. I also added my phone number at the end, just in case they wanted to contact me there.

Part of me worries I messed something up, but I try to reassure myself that this isn't a small decision to make. Plus, they have to explain why her biological dad suddenly reappeared in her life. Who knows how much this will affect Ellie, and the last thing I want is to affect her life negatively.

"Dude, I still think you should go after the Leeman's, we can help." My friend Mason sits on the corner of my desk at the office. I flip through the files of my current case, shaking my head no.

"We both know I won't get anywhere with a case against them. I don't feel like wasting my time."

Mason stares at me as if I'm missing out. "You come to me if you change your mind, we can take them down." He pats the tabletop. "Anyway, you know all of us are so happy for you. I can't believe you have a kid."

I chuckle, dumbfounded. "Yeah, I know, it's wild."

"After work, we should go out for drinks, invite your girl, and any of her single friends." He adds before slinking out of my office. Laughing, I shout that it's Monday, but he ignores me.

My cellphone vibrates in my pocket, and I fish it out. I put it the call on speaker so my hands are free to work, however, I instantly regret my decision when my sister's loud voice booms through the small room.

"Jayden, I have an idea!"

"Yes, Addison?"

There is a pause on the other line. "Jeez what crawled up your ass and died? Why the sass?"

I furrow my brows. "Exactly how was I sassy?"

"You called me Addison."

"Yeah, you never call her Addison unless you're mad!" I hear Isabella, Addy's best friend, chimes in. I say hello and reassure them both that I'm not mad but want them to get to the point.

"Okay, before you meet Ellie in person I think you should write her a letter. It might be a good way to break the ice."

"That's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure what I'd say."

"Introduce yourself, add any pictures of you and Olivia, or you and Skylar. Allow her to say yes to a relationship." Isabella says. "Make it her choice."

On a sticky-note, I write their suggestions for the letter and some of my own ideas. Getting off the phone with them isn't easy, but I hang up before I get yelled at by my boss and spend the rest of my workday doing paperwork and refreshing my email.

The second I can leave, I ask Mason for a raincheck for Friday—which doesn't please him—and head home. Skylar had to visit the hospital today for work so she won't be home for a while. I busy myself in my office.

Digging through old boxes, I pull Polaroids out of Olivia and me from high school. A bittersweet feeling invades my mind and I reach for my wallet to compare Ellie's photo with ours.

Looking at our daughter evokes a strange feeling. Although Olivia's passing was inevitable, I wonder how different life would be if we raised Ellie with the time we had. Then I wouldn't have had to deal with custody issues and Christmas wouldn't be so lonely.

Then I think of Sky and how beautiful our children would be. I know that won't happen for a while, especially since marriage isn't on either of our radars. Yes, I'd be a lucky man if I got married to her now. However, I know she needs more time and I will wait as long as she needs it.

Once I'm finished getting what I need, I clean up the mess of boxes and retreat to my desk. I pull out a blank piece of paper and ready my pen wondering what my first words to Ellie will be.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

INSTAGRAM & TWITTER: annasteffeyy

vote • comment • follow

Thanks for reading, xoxo Anna :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

219K 9.8K 46
Innocence is subjective. When push comes to shove: things change. And sometimes you just have to try not to explode. Pure's always been bullied for h...
800K 46.5K 32
When her ex-friend-turned-boyfriend reappears in her life, Anna must put her hurt and resentment aside to help him survive his withdrawal before he r...
3.6K 93 29
COMPLETED✅ Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
1.6K 60 34
Skylar's parents die in a car accident and lives in care until someone adopts her. But what will happen when she starts to fall in love with her new...