Hell Hath No Fury - Book One

By nicwritesbooks

(gxg) Aboard the Scorned Woman, there is a crew pirates that hail from all five Baethean continents. They rai... More

An Introduction to Baethos
The Beginning
A Room on Board
Line of Questioning
Pants
Treasure
The Feast
Raiders
Seasick
Mischief
Breaking Bread
Witness
Belonging
Convincing
Secret Lead
Journey
Decisions
Pirate Business
Preparations
Revelations
Explanations
The Aftermath
Visitors
Niveal Begins
The Bender v.1
The Bender v.2
The Bender v.3
The Bender v.4
Jewels
Weapons
Piercing
Searching
Three's a crowd
Breach of Contract
Don't Trust Pigs
A Night in the Infirmary
Officer's Meeeting
Suggestion
Unemployed
Vetting
Cheap Shots
Stubborn Squared
Xyra Approves
A Secret Exposed
Confrontation
Stormy Night
Training Begins
Longing
Culmination
Interviews
What Rhymes with Bliss?
Pika's Rock
No Interference
Watch It Burn
Bearer of Bad News
At Long Last
And She's In
Just for Clarity
A Group Consensus
Finally
Arrival in Gossem
The Tuskeri Manor
Riva, Are You There?
Hidden in Storage
Red and Black, Chest to Back
Dangers Lurk Below
Waking Up
A Shocking Display
Grog's Pub
Fire Consumes the Past
Initiation
Communication Works
A Meeting Looms
The First Meeting
This Can't Fail
Challenge Accepted
A Nefarious Plan
A Break From It All
Night After Night of You
Last Nights Together
Aired Grievances
Temple Times
I Bet
Freezing
A Bit Tied Up at the Moment
Journey Through Aeliz
Broken Chest
Elox at Last
Scheming
Routines Are Good
An Offer You Can't Refuse
Prison Break
Homecoming
Panic and Parties
Reunited
Too Many Talks
Fortune's Favor
Request for an Invite
The Constituency Ball
Merry Ment
More Revelations
One, Two, Three, Four Trials Too Many
Confrontations
Drowning
Finale
Epilogue
Art and Character Profiles

An Election

1.8K 133 98
By nicwritesbooks

AN: Hello y'all! this one is a longer chapter! I'm sorry! It's about 7k words 

Ava's first shift on carpentry couldn't have gone any worse. Well, she left with all of her limbs intact so it could have gone a lot worse but she had a feeling that she would not be sticking in carpentry. She knew none of the tools, how to work any of the equipment, or how to be safe in the woodshop. It was probably funny to the others how awful she was at it.

It was clear halfway through the sun that she was holding up progress more than helping. She found a spot to stand that was out of the way and instead provided conversation and entertainment with stories about her snobby siblings. Evana, the lead, never spoke. Skins, Chubs, and Rita though would not stop talking. At first, Ava tried working and listening to Evana through the first hours of the morning, ignoring the conversations in the shop like Evana was doing. After lunch, when she began paying attention to the conversation she found their banter hilarious. She began to build up the confidence to chime here and there. Her comments were well received every time and Ava didn't feel ostracized by the close group of friends.

She really made her presence and value known when she solved a problem for Skins. They had been talking about how one crew member owed her 300 gold. How Skins allowed for that amount of debt to pile up was beyond Ava but that wasn't the point. After the Espbar treasure, each crew member walked away with a share of 500 gold coins each. Now that Jav, the person who owed money, had enough to pay the debt, Skins was demanding payment in full. Jav didn't want to pay the full thing, especially because they were about to get to Niveal which she needed money for. Ava understood both sides, Jav had gotten herself in that mess in the first place but she understood Jav's reluctance to give it up.

Ava had a feeling that Jav wasn't going to give in and neither was Skins so Ava proposed her own solution. After a while of hearing them go back and forth, she had found a solution that might appeal to Skins.

"Why don't you just ask for payments in installments? She doesn't seem to want to give up all her money and you deserve your money back. Maybe meeting in the middle will help?" Ava offered.

"And what's to make her pay me back quickly and not one gold every cycle?" Skins turned around to face Ava.

"At the end of the length, you impose a fee if it hasn't been paid back in full. For every gold she is in debt she owes you an additional five silvers. 50 percent interest," Ava elaborated, "That way you are getting paid and she is happy with not parting with so much of her money at once. Plus, it acts as a way to save money. Can't spend it if you don't have it," Ava pointed out, another thing she had learned through her observation of the women was they were all shit with money.

Skins had stopped her work momentarily to stare at Ava. Ava just stared back, waiting to answer any other questions Skin's might ask. Instead, Skins just nodded and turned around.

"I'll talk to Jav," she said and without another word, the conversation was over.

Ava had noticed on the ship there were no formalities or normal greetings. It was straight to the point and when a conversation was over, that was that. It was funny to Ava, a quirk about the ship she enjoyed. Besides that, it was an uneventful sun where she learned nothing else except she was not Evana's next carpentry prodigy. For the next two suns, she worked in the woodshop getting to know the women down there. By the end of her term there, she had a regular back and forth with the women and she was quite invested in their problems. She had learned the Chubs and Rita both lived together in one bedroom but they were just friends. Skins lived in the lower deck and Ava found ou that many of the women on the ship owed her money.

Ava proposed helping her form a plan and write a list of everyone that owed her so she could keep track and make sure she was getting paid back. Skins took her up on it and they spent a few nights in the lower decks discussing the new payback system over dim candlelight. When Ava's three suns were up and she went back up to figure out her new assignment, she was in for a shock. She was being reassigned for another three suns to carpentry or until they reached Niveal. Ava was at a loss.

"Evana says you keep the girls at bay and they work more when you are there," Xyra said when Ava asked the reason why.

Ava had mixed feelings, she wanted to find her place in the ship. Find a job where she could contribute and give back but she was also happy to be able to spend a few more suns solidifying a relationship with the three girls below deck. They were exciting, funny, and welcoming. Ava returned to her spot in the woodshop. Content with spending the next few suns down there.

-----

Theo spent her time leading up to the eve before landing in Niveal either busting her ass trying to work as hard as she could or cooped up in Morgana's room. She helped the crew with sailing, she took the lonely job of the lookout for a few hours every aftermorning, she checked on everyone to make sure they were okay, she spent time in her office in case anyone wanted to chat with her. No one ever came by but she had promised so there she was. Ava never came by either. Not that Theo cared much, at all.

Tuni had warmed up to her little by little. By the fourth sun of bringing them their meals, Tuni was finally having full conversations with Theo. Theo felt it best if she didn't use any charming tricks with Tuni, just honesty and genuine care was the way with her. She brought them up every meal, spent quality time with her injured friend, and helped Tuni with Morgana as well. Tuni went from saying a few words to speaking in full sentences. They even had a talk at one point, Tuni was sitting in bed next to a sleeping Morgana and Theo occupied her usual chair next to the bed.

"I'm not upset about the secret you kept. I'm upset that you lied. Not about the lead. That you lied to us about never keeping anything from us. Never keeping anyone in the dark," Tuni had admitted once Morgana fell asleep.

Theo nodded and listened. Tuni talked about her feelings and the impact it caused to the crew. She echoed sentiments she had heard around the ship. The crew all felt the same way, angry at the deception. Some also felt angry about the nature of the lead, it being Vaith and all. Others were not too upset in general, there were more laidback women not wholly invested in the politics of the ship but even they still felt the need to be angry in solidarity. Theo got a lot out of just sitting and listening to Tuni, Theo began to think of a way out of the solitary limbo she was in.

After Tuni had finished speaking, Theo spoke up, "I'm sorry. I know my actions have had a deep impact on everyone on this crew. And I am sorry for lying to you, Fortune. I love you and I don't want to hurt you or Morgana or anyone on this crew."

Tuni simply nodded and turned her attention back to her sleeping partner. Theo spent so much time with them in just a few suns she began to get a bit sick from the tenderness between them. It wasn't jealousy, per se. Just annoyance that they could be so happy and cute and couple-y and Theo had no one. Romantically or in any other way at the moment. She knew she had been being a bit too self-pitying in the past suns but she allowed herself to do so.

When she left the infirmary that night, she did so intending to have a solution to the tension by the end of the next sun. She made it to her quarters where Xyra was reading a book on Theo's bed.

"I'm calling for an election tomorrow," Theo said and walked behind her desk.

Xyra did not hesitate to slam her book shut and get up, "You are doing what?"

"I'm calling an election, Xy," Theo said.

"You got reconfirmed into your role as Captain before we got to Barian. That was less than a quarter length ago. It's idiotic to call an election," Xyra tried to talk reason into Theo. Calling an election was political suicide. Xyra didn't need to go talk to the crew to see where the votes lied to know that if Theo called an election she wasn't guaranteed to keep her spot as captain.

"I've got no mandate right now. I need to either be their captain or not be their captain. Not this in-between shit. An election gives me a chance to let them know my platform. Reaffirm that I have their best interests at heart and if that is not what they want then they can boot me. I do not want to be a captain of a ship that does not want me as their captain," Theo stood firm in her decision.

"And if you do not win the election, what then?"

"Then you become captain until an official vote can happen after a cycle of campaigning. You know the ship's rule. We wrote them together," Theo stated, knowing Xyra knew and was asking to follow up with a point.

"I do not want to be captain," she said, "Not for a cycle or any period after that either. That is what we agreed upon when we decided you would captain the ship. Don't fuck me on this Theo," Xyra was almost pleading.

Theo shook her head, "I'm sorry, Xyrabellis. I cannot lead where I am not leading by the choice of the voting body."

"I swear I'm going to tell Cooker to stop reading you all her cooked up political nonsense. This isn't a government! You do not need to abide by any rules," Xyra leaned on the desk.

"I do not need to, I want to! I want to be the haven I promised these women when they boarded. They don't trust me right now. I need a chance to win them over, if that fails then it fails. I have to accept the consequences of my actions," Theo said, "I do not want to be the captain of a ship that doesn't talk to me.

Xyra looked stressed. Theo knew she would. It truly was a gamble and Theo had no idea how the chips would fall once the votes were counted. Xyra's biggest nightmare was to become captain which was unfortunate given her position as the first mate. Theo couldn't budge though. During elections, she needed a simple majority to get the captaincy but she had no idea where the votes lied. Xyra stopped leaning on the desk then rubbed her face.

"I'll go see where the votes lie. Fuck, Theo. Why do you always make things so complicated? You couldn't have decided this suns ago so I had at least a little time to work with it?" Xyra asked rhetorically, walking out of the room and slamming the door on her way out.

Theo had to prepare her case for the next sun. She would have a short time to present a speech as her bid for the captaincy. Anybody else in the audience also had a choice to present their speech if they intended on running. With her door closed, Xyra gone, and the expectation that no one would come in and request an audience, Theo began her thinking process.

----

The election was held in the mess hall. All of the chairs and tables were arranged in a horseshoe formation with Theo, Xyra, and Cooker in the front of the room. Cooker was always the moderator for elections. She made sure there was a fair process in place and she confirmed the count of the votes. As the first mate, Xyra was up there as well. Theo was seated in the center of the horseshoe, with the women all around her.

The election had been announced in the morning and it came as a shock to everyone. The mess hall was packed and it had been for quite a while leading up to it. Everyone wanted the best seat in the house. Theo, as always, was dressed in her preferred expensive clothing. A rich blue coat open, no buttons on it. It revealed a simple white shirt underneath and blue pants. She wore shiny leather boots and jewelry that adorned her hands, neck, and ears. She looked like a captain.

Once it was time, Cooker began her introduction. She recapped the issue at hand, the background behind the election and announced the candidate, Theo. She opened the floor for anyone else to announce a bid but no one did. It was only Theo. Theo then had a few minutes to give a speech. She stood up from her chair and straightened out her clothes. She took stock of the room, it was packed with all of her crew and she felt at peace with her decision, whatever the outcome was. She cleared her throat and took a sip of ale in the cup she was holding before beginning.

"This may seem out of the blue. Insane. Career suicide," Theo said and the whole room broke out into light laughter. Theo smiled, it was the best response she had gotten in suns, "but I felt this was needed, ladies. Here is the thing, I don't want to lead on a boat where I am not chosen as your leader every sun. I want you to wake up and be happy with the person running the ship. I made a mistake, a huge one and I'll own up to that. Because of that, I have been shut out methodically. Every aspect of this ship, I have been ostracized from. That is okay, it's a punishment fit to match the crime but I want to be able to move past this."

Theo took a look around the room. She had seemed to pull their attention, even the girls who were usually in their own worlds were listening.

"Whether we move past it and I am your captain or we move past it and I am your crewmate, that is up to you. If you find that what I have done is unforgivable and you don't trust me to be your captain then I will gladly step down from my position. If you find it in your hearts to forgive me then we can move past this with me as your captain, this time sticking to my vows. I will be honest with you and I will put all major decisions up to a vote. But you also have to understand that I want what is best for all of you. So I will speak my mind during these votes. I will be honest with you about everything, including how I feel. Ultimately, the decisions will always be yours but I will try my damn hardest to make you all see reason when it is needed. That is all I have. Best not to drag this on anymore."

Theo sat back down in the chair. The women were beginning to chat amongst themselves. Cooker stood up,

"We are now going to have time to discuss the candidate," Cooker said, "Each person will have a brief moment to speak if they would like to. You can speak in support or against the candidate. The candidate will have some time to respond."

The room was quiet for a bit. People debating whether to speak or not. One woman stood up, her name was Sandy because of her sandy blonde hair, longer than any other person on the ship.

"The army killed my brother and my husband on Vaith's command. We deserve our vengeance and we cannot forgive you for taking it away from us," Sandy said and there were cheers around her.

"I should have told you, that much is true. However, I have not robbed you of your vengeance. I have given you a better shot at it. Vaith was escorted by three lightbringers. We would not have made it within firing range before we were torn apart. We need to expand, we need to recruit, we need to build a fleet. Then we can face Vaith. We can have his head on a pike. My plan was not to rob you of an opportunity to attack him but to allow you the opportunity to defeat him," Theo explained herself. The women seemed to approve of her rebuttal. Having a chance to explain herself was proving the best remedy.

Still, many other women stood up and angrily said their piece. Complaining about the betrayal or recounting their stories about the pain Vaith had brought on their families. Theo didn't respond to any of those comments with anything other than an apology and a show of understanding that they were hurt. It seemed, though, that it wasn't enough. The tide had once again turned back against her and the discussion became angrier and more heated. Theo felt votes slipping every time someone stood up.

All of the women had spoken that wanted to except for one. It was someone who was notoriously quiet among her crew. She had only been with them for about a full length. She worked cannons and was always talked about highly by the women on the ship. Her name was Unab and she was one of the youngest women on the ship. She was standing amongst the mix of women and she looked around, trying to address all of them.

"I know pain..." She said and then paused, "The councilmen are rotten and I know that first hand. I know what they've done to you and I know what they've done to me but imagine if we just died the same way everyone else we know did. In a humiliating defeat against an empire that cares not about what we need. Captain Theo was protecting us. She's promised not to lie again and I think we need to put our trust in her again.

One length ago, Theo found me in an alleyway and made sure I had a good place to sleep and money for at least a few cycles. She didn't know me but she gave me money from her gold. She's just like that, caring and kind. Theo has our interests at heart. I know firsthand how you all feel and the grudges you hold but I also know Theo has helped us all in ways we cannot repay. She is asking for one favor back from us and that is forgiveness and space to make it up to us. I will grant her the favor and help her build us a fleet," Unab finished and sat down.

A silence fell over the women. Theo neglected to reply and Cooker stood up, "That concludes our discussion. Theo, please leave the room while voting takes place."

Theo nodded and stood up, she waiting outside the mess hall as she heard Cooker go over the rules of voting. With Theo out of the room, they would have a chance to openly debate with each other. After the debate, each woman would get a token and they would place it in one bucket if they were in favor of her captaincy and another if they were against. Theo was moved by Unab's comments but she hoped everyone else was too. She stood outside of the mess hall, unable to hear any debate points made. She was nervous, she wanted to win.

It had been a rough few cycles where she was doubting her role as captain but now all of that seemed silly, she really wanted to win. All of the doubts were thoughts of the past. She was a good captain, she was a good pirate, she knew how to manage a good crew and she had a good team on her side. If she was reconfirmed, she would make changes to ensure she delivered on her ambitious promise of building a fleet.

After what felt like an eon waiting outside and twisting her rings, she was called back in. Theo stood in the middle of the room where she had been sitting only a while before. The women all waited anxiously for the results, Theo included. None of the women were able to see how anyone else voted, it was all anonymous and the women were discouraged from talking about how they voted to avoid animosity within the crew. Xyra stepped forward, a captain's hat in her hands. When an election was called for the captaincy or a reconfirmation happened, Theo would have to turn in the hat until she was confirmed in her role again. If Theo had won the election, the hat would be placed on her head. If not, Xyra would place it on her own head. As Xyra walked up next to Theo, Theo held her breath.

After a few moments, she felt the touch of the hat against her head and she let out the breath she was holding. To her surprise, the women broke out into cheers. Theo's plan didn't backfire. She would be lying if she said her hands had not been trembling that whole time. The women, who had been icing her out for a while, had shown a complete change in the way they were cheering for her. One woman, Theo couldn't pick out who it was, began a chant.

Fleet. Fleet. Fleet.

It caught like wildfire and the women were all stomping and calling it out.

Theo had effectively sent out a call to action. A motivator for the women. They had restocked the boat, each of them had a hefty sum of money and a new chapter for their ship was opening. They had their next mission, build a fleet. In the short time that Xyra had announced the results, the women had managed to roll a barrel of ale into the mess hall. They really knew how to find any excuse for a party.

Theo took advantage of her new status as persona grata, she was their captain again. She rejoiced with them, drinking, singing, dancing on top of the tables but only for a while. It had been an exhausting sun for her, strategizing, planning, rehearsing and she was ready for some quiet. Once she felt her energy hit the depleted zone, she decided to make her exit. Theo leaving from nights of drinking was not uncommon and most of the women were drunk enough not to take notice once she did slip out.

She made it up to the room and decided to get out of the multiple layers of fabric she had on. She pulled off her heavy coat and hung it back up in her large wooden wardrobe. She heard her door open and turned around to find Xyra.

Xyra flashed her a relieved smile and Theo could tell Xyra had quite a few mugs of ale during the celebration. Xyra walked over to Theo and wrapped her long arms around the Captain. Theo laughed and hugged Xyra back then pulled away.

"You stink of drink," Theo commented as she began to unbutton her shirt.

"That's funny since I haven't had a sip of any alcohol all night," Xyra said with a goofy smile and made her way over to Theo's desk and sat on it.

"You're as sober as the classifiers," Theo laughed and chucked her shirt off into a corner, leaving her only with an undershirt and some pants on, "Was it close? The vote, I mean."

Xyra shook her head and toyed with a quill that had been discarded on the desk, "Practically unanimous. Three votes against your captaincy."

Theo was shocked. Three votes against her captaincy meant only one person didn't want her to be captain. Two women on the boat, Hop and Livi, voted against the majority every time based on principle. Theo never understood why but they did it every vote. Which meant if there were three votes, and two of those were Hop and Livi, that meant only one other person disapproved of her leading. Theo couldn't have asked for a better result.

"I'm a lucky son of a bitch then," Theo laughed.

"I can't tell you who voted against you," Xyra reminded.

"I know," Theo chuckled at her drunk friend, "Hop and Livi and I don't care who else."

"You would care if you knew who it was..." Xyra whispered, "I want to tell you so bad."

"Xy, no. It's against the rules. I don't need to know, seriously," Theo said, trying to get through to drunk Xyra.

"It was Navi," Xyra let slip and covered her mouth with her hands.

"Xyra!" Theo admonished her for breaking the rules. But had she heard correctly? Navi, one of her close crewmates and a friend. If there were any votes she thought she could count on tonight it was the eight women that were a part of her inner circle. To know she was the only one that truly voted against Theo hurt.

"Sorry. She's just so stupid sometimes. So so, stupid. She does that then asks me over to her room. As if," Xyra complained. Only Navi had this effect on Xyra and Theo never understood why. Navi could get past Xyra's uncrackable exterior more than anyone else could.

"That doesn't matter. Navi has her own choice and that is her right as a crew member to be able to cast her vote however she pleases," Theo said and turned to her jewelry box, setting her chunky rings inside.

It hurt and it sucked but Theo understood why Navi would do that. There was a petty streak there and Theo knew it. It wasn't like Theo hadn't hurt Navi too. If that was the only downside to the snap election she called then she would have to take it. She was still captain and she was being entrusted to build the fleet she'd always dreamed of.

Theo turned around to the door when she heard it open and found Navi standing in the doorway.

"Come in," Theo said with a smile and she flashed a look at Xyra to be calm and collected.

"Theo, just came in to talk about Niveal," Navi said as she walked into the room.

"Go ahead," Xyra said and then covered her mouth silencing a hiccup.

"Are you drunk?" Navi asked.

"She is, what about Niveal?" Theo asked.

"We land tomorrow on the fourth hour of the morning. We should be good to disembark by the sixth hour. We are sailing in through the south side of the island where there is a dock large enough for the ship," Navi said.

"That puts us right near the bars and casinos. The women will be appreciative of that, thanks Navi," Theo said and walked over to her desk and took a seat, "Anything else?"

"I told Theo you voted against her," Xyra spit out after not being able to hold the secret in.

"Xyra!" Theo yelled again. Xyra was the most trustworthy person she had ever met until any substance was in her system. All logic and brain function went out the window for her.

"What the fuck, Xyra?" Navi sighed and rubbed her face.

"She's not mad at you. I still am but she's not," Xyra said and held her hands up, hoping that would remedy the situation they were all in.

"I didn't ask her, Nav. I explicitly asked her not to tell me," Theo said and glared at Xyra, who could not see her.

"Theo, I'm sorry," Navi said, it seemed genuine. The icy demeanor began to melt.

"Don't be. It's your vote and your voice. What kind of evolved leader am I if I just expected all your votes to be for me. That's how you feel," Theo reasoned. She wanted to move past this awkward conversation as fast as possible. She didn't want to crack and show how it stung.

"It's not how I feel..." Navi admitted, "I thought no one would know. It was just my way of getting one final stupid hook in before letting the issue go. I knew you had the majority, everyone who was in the room during that debate knew. I knew it wasn't going to affect you winning so I just cast no... It didn't feel good. I shouldn't have done it."

Theo stared at her sailing master. Hearing that was admittedly better than walking around thinking that an important asset to her crew had no belief in her as a captain. Navi had gotten one last punch in before closing the chapter on the matter. There was no apology, only regret, and Theo did not expect one. Theo was going to respond with some easy comment about it being all good but a rush of people into her room

What Theo had hoped would be a quiet night, maybe a light smoke out on her balcony had turned into a packed room. Oceane, Cooker, Iona, and Pearl had come into the room each one of them trying to talk to each other. Trailing in behind the four of them though was someone Theo hadn't expected to see that night, it was Ava. Looking slightly more timid than usual, she walked in and made eye contact with Theo. They smiled at each other and Ava waved her hand a little bit.

Ava closed the door behind her and when she looked back over, Theo was still staring at her. Ava locked eyes with Theo and she felt like they were in a room alone, all other noise seemed to be drowned out. Theo was wearing far less than Ava had ever seen her in. Thinking back, Ava had never seen Theo without sleeves. Standing in the room with only an undershirt on Ava noticed the dark tattoos that ran up her arms. There were so many intricate designs and patterns and Ava had never seen anything so beautiful before.

Theo's gaze moved away from Ava and Ava let out a breath she didn't know she was holding. The mood in the room was quite different than the odd and out of place feeling Ava had been getting the past few suns. She had been spending time with Oceane and Iona in the lower decks at night, visiting Morgana and Tuni when she could, and reading with Cooker too. But none of them had been chipper and in the same room in a while and Ava was happy to see them all getting along again. Morgana and Tuni were missing and it was noticeable but at least Morgana was getting rest and healing nicely.

Navi, who had managed to find a spot on the crowded bed that now held four people, pulled out a bag from her pocket.

"I was going to save this to sell but I guess we can all partake," Navi rolled her eyes and tossed the bag to Theo who caught it with catlike reflexes.

Theo opened the bag and took a long smell, "Oh fuck, that is strong. Is that Ravci?"

When Theo opened the bag, the smell of citrus was wafted around the room. Ravci, while not illegal in Baethean law, was highly frowned upon. It was a substance, less potent than Dragon's Breath, that was smoked socially for a giddy and happy feeling. Ava recognized the smell because it was her youngest brother's substance of choice. The citrusy smell it gave off was what always got her brother caught. Ava had never tried it, obviously, but she was finally ready.

"Oi, red," Theo called and Ava looked over, "there's a free seat over here."

Theo motioned over to the chair next to her desk, the only comfortable surface left in her room to sit on. Theo took a seat in her desk chair and pulled out some small rectangular papers from her desk. Ava made her way over to the open seat. She watched as Theo shook out the sweet-smelling orange weed-like substance and began to roll them into small cigars. Conversation lit up all around them but Ava was not paying attention to anyone. She felt a little bad, these were the women that had provided her company over the past nights and here she was ignoring them.

Ava honestly hadn't realized how much she had missed her nightly talks with Theo until she was in the mess hall watching Theo give her speech. She was passionate and put together and Ava was always so impressed by the pirate captain. Ava watched as Theo's hands expertly handled the Ravci and stared at how fast her hands were moving along the task. Her arms were slightly flexed as she went about her errand and Ava noticed how strong and defined Theo's muscles were. The tattoos and the muscles were new, not something that could be easily spotted from the way Theo normally dressed.

Theo caught her eyes a few times, smiling at Ava every time. They shared these small glances until Theo had rolled enough small cigarettes to go around the room. She held up one that was a little bigger than the rest, "Want to share?"

Ava nodded and Theo reached over and pulled Ava's chair over with one arm. Theo brought the cigarettes to her lips and brought out a striker and lit the cigarette. There was a moment where she struggled to get it lit but finally, the cigarette caught fire and she was able to take a large puff, exhaling with a small cough. Theo gave it to Ava and she followed Theo's lead. Having already smoked something before, Ava was ready for it this time around. She took a small hit and exhaled. The atmosphere around them had quieted down, as each of the women were busy sharing the cigarettes.

Xyra and Navi were sitting quite close together on Theo's bed, talking between themselves. Ava observed them, curious as to what their relationship was. They were by far the most secretive and reserved of the group in that room and Ava hadn't gotten to know them as well she had gotten to know the others. Were they together or were they just friends? Ever since she was introduced to the concept of noxes and that it was normalized outside of the strict Baethean class system she had begun to question a lot of interactions. This one was clear though, Ava was picking up some romantic vibes between them.

She and Theo passed the Ravci cigarette between them and smoked in relative silence. Once everyone had a pleasant buzz going on, Ava included, Oceane piped up from her spot on the bed.

"So, how ready is The Captain for Niveal?" Oceane teased and Theo rolled her eyes.

Ava laughed a tiny bit and looked over at Theo for a response. Theo said nothing, instead she took a hit from the Ravci and sat back in her chair.

"I've heard a lot about The Captain. What is that all about?" Ava asked.

Xyra perked up from her spot on the bed, her black hair was not in its usual slicked back style so some of it fell in her face, "I'll go! I'll go!"

The room collectively laughed at a loose and laid back Xyra, a fun but rare sight. Xyra was always ready to share any embarrassing or funny stories about Theo and Theo dreaded the onslaught of anecdotes.

"Right so when Theo and Niveal meet, a monster arises. A greedy, money spending, horny, drunk monster called The Captain," Xyra said dramatically.

"Oi! Do not paint me as a villain," Theo interjected.

"You're right. That's doing a disservice to The Captain. I think she is quite fun. Always a memorable time when we go out together in Niveal," Iona defended Theo.

"Exactly, I am a pleasure to be around," Theo laughed.

"I'm still no closer to understanding this alter ego of yours," Ava said and turned her attention back to Theo.

"It is not an alter ego," Theo pointed out, "Niveal is just a fun place and I like to spend the money I have worked hard to earn. The reason people call me The Captain is because of idiots like this group that keeps it going."

Theo passed Ava the Ravci which Ava took gratefully.

"Aye, you like to spend it on drugs, drinking, gambling, expensive stolen goods, and women," Oceane snickered before taking a hit from her cigarette.

"Clarification for the audience, I spend money on women in the sense that I buy them things and give them money. I do not pay women for sex," Theo once again interjected.

Ava felt an unfamiliar pang in her stomach at the mention of Theo being with other women, multiple other women, but she decided to brush it off.

"I never understood your aversion to paying for sex. We go to brothels under our protection. We know the women are paid and treated well," Oceane said. The inner-circle had had this theological discussion many times. It was a hot topic of conversation.

Ava, new to the scene came in with her own questions, "You guys use brothels? I thought you'd be opposed."

"Sometimes, aye," Oceane said and Iona nodded.

"Most of the ship does. Only two I know for sure that don't do it are them," Navi pointed to Theo and Cooker.

"This conversation always goes and circles and never gets solved. I am not judging you for doing what you are doing but I don't feel comfortable with partaking in a business I am trying to abolish," Cooker began, ready to jump into the debate.

Navi and Xyra groaned from their corner of the bed and Navi used her feet to push Cooker. Cooker laughed and swatted her feet away, quickly distracted from the previous conversation.

"I am supposed to be shopping. When does that happen?" Ava looked over to Theo, who she felt was best equipped to answer the question.

"Usually on the third sun. We go on a two-sun bender and then go shopping. Then we usually go on another bender at night and then be miserable the whole next sun and then do pirate stuff," Theo explained.

"To doing pirate stuff," Iona laughed and raised her cigarette, everyone else followed and repeated what she had said.

"You're coming shopping with us?" Xyra asked.

"Aye, Morgana is sending me on her behalf," Ava explained, "I hope that is okay."

"Oh aye that's perfectly fine with me. More people to help keep me sane from Theo's insufferable presence while shopping," Xyra moaned and most of the women nodded their heads in agreeance.

"Aye, that is why we steer clear of the shops on Theo's shopping time. We usually go when the all-important leaders are doing their pirate stuff," Oceane provided helpfully, "You can just come with us when you go if you'd prefer."

"Absolutely not!" Xyra protested, "That will not be happening it was already agreed upon that Ava is coming with us."

Ava knew that her presence was wanted only because of the promise it brang of having help to handle Theo, whatever that meant, but she still felt welcome. Xyra had actually wanted her to come and help, granted she was drunk and desperate but Ava was counting it.

The conversation kept leaning towards berating Theo. They never provided enough details, just vague jabs at how different Theo was once they docked in Niveal. Ava was expecting it to either be a disappointing reveal or something she had never been expecting. Finally, once the cigarettes were all smoked and the air was cloudy the topics of conversation began to derail into inappropriate ones of sex and drugs.

They had broken out a bottle of rum and what seemed like Theo's fancy glasses. Cooker had introduced a drinking game, claiming it to be from Elox. Oceane called bullshit and swore it originated in Efriti. Quibble aside, the drinking game was called Aye, Aye, Captain! It started with the Captain who would say a statement. All those that had done whatever was said would salute and say "Aye, Aye, Captain!" all those that hadn't would have to drink.

Ava learned a lot about the girls, specifically, that pirate life really did equate to a life of stealing, sex, and booze. Most of the women in the room had wild stories while Ava's most salacious tale was that she made out with the son of a councilman when he was engaged to some other girl. That was her fourth and last kiss and probably the best of the four. The fact that Ava had only had four kisses and she was 16 lengths old had come out during the game and Ava was beet red for a long time after that.

Ava learned a lot about each of the girls but also a lot about Theo. Theo could not count the number of partners she has had, she had tried almost every drug in Baethos, and she also had spent over 500 gold on a pair of shoes before, diamond-encrusted boots. Ava commented on the irony that she was the one called a rich girl and it earned her a round of laughs. As the night dragged on, she became drunker and drunker. Theo had also begun to roll more Ravci cigarettes and the room had begun to get smoky again. Ava was in a cloud of stupor, laughing at every word said and letting her chair swallow her whole.

Slowly, the night began to come to a close. One by one the girls excused themselves until there were only four. Navi and Xyra, who had both been practically giggling at each other all night, made their exit as well. Navi left first and Xyra left shortly after, it was apparent though that they would end up in the same bed that night. Ava wanted to ask about it but did not know if it was her place. Her inebriated mind decided that it was best just to ask and get the question out of her head.

"Are they a couple?" Ava asked, her chair still close to Theo's.

"Xyra and Navi? No, they aren't. They used to be. Now they just fuck. It's complicated," Theo put bluntly.

"Wait, they used to go out together and then they broke up but you slept with Navi?" Ava clarified.

"I forgot you knew about that," Theo groaned, "aye, I did and it was not my proudest moment. I got shit from Xyra for it."

"Seems like you haven't been making the best choices as of late," Ava poked fun and Theo laughed.

"Very funny," Theo began to roll the last of the Ravci into a cigarette, "How are you, by the way? Was it my bad choices that has driven you away these past nights?"

Ava was now put on the spot. She was going to answer as close to the truth as she could, "It wasn't actually. It has just been an overwhelming cycle and I needed this time to sort my head out. Plus, carpentry is hard work. I was tired after those long suns"

"I hear you are awful at it," Theo laughed and lit up the cigarette.

"I am the worst! Can you believe they kept me on for another three suns?" Ava laughed too and held her hand out for a puff.

Theo passed the lit cigarette to Ava and watched as the redhead took the longest drag yet, "I can believe it. Evana reported that you have a knack for problem-solving. She says you've been helping the girls?"

"Oh, aye, I am a great asset to this ship. I'm glad people are starting to realize," Ava boasted.

"I am glad too," Theo played along.

Once the cigarette was finished between the two of them, Ava got up and said her goodbyes. Theo stopped her before she could leave, "I forgot to ask but would you want to come with us tomorrow? We all do kind of like a tavern crawl and then go gambling. It is quite fun."

Ava smiled at the invitation. She had already agreed to go with them when Oceane and Iona asked her to go a few nights before when they were all hanging out in the lower deck but Theo didn't need to know that. Ava smiled at the captain, "I would love to. Thank you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.2K 3.3K 64
Welcome to the future, where humans no longer exist - or so the monsters want you to believe. Dawn, one of the last of her kind, is tasked every mont...
34.1K 2.5K 23
After nearly two decades of being a species torn apart, the Fae are weighed with the heaviness of restoring what once was. New beginnings, new loves...
338 38 39
A sweeping tale of magic, fantasy and romance, with a healthy side of adventure, revenge and redemption. Set in the lush garden kingdom of Wisteria...
786 58 34
Lue Anders is on a mission. Princess turned fugitive, she needs to find the one friend that will listen to her story, and help her bring an end to cr...