Haurutsuki: Beautiful Snow

By pinkpiplup

Heir to a Hidden Mist Clan, Miyuki finds herself in the middle of a war. When meeting a young Kakashi Hatake... More

1. The Haurutsuki Clan
2. Life Beyond the Island
3. Thicker Than Blood
4 . Lee's Place
5. Infiltrating Kirigakure
6. The Little Red Hoods
7. Mist Meets Leaf
8. Two Villages, One Territory
9. Keeping Friends Close & Enemies Closer
10. The Tale of Thunder Mountain
11. Where We Say Goodbye
12. The Future Chidori
13. Winter Turns to Spring
14. In the Dark Times
15. Partners
16. You're Not So Bad
18. Swan Song
19. Civil War
20. What Comes Around...
21. Trapped
22. What Are We?
23. What Do We Have to Lose?
24. Frozen
Credits

17. I Will Protect You!

743 20 3
By pinkpiplup

It's been weeks since then, and the pair grew closer to each other in their own  "unique" way. However, their mission hadn’t grown any closer to discovering the plot against the Fourth Mizukage, and it caused uneasiness amongst everyone involved in the operation, including Lord Yagura.

“I have called you five here, because as you know, you are my top undercover ANBU within the Kaguya Infiltration Squad. I expected the Kaguya Clan to have at least grown suspicious by now, but being as fearless and tactless as they all are, it would seem their barbaric tendencies have led them to ignorance as well. It’s a shame, I expected them to have grown tired of not receiving missions outside the Village by now.” Lord Yagura said as he faced the five masked ANBU members. “Therefore, I order you all to provoke them.” They did their best to hide their surprise, and continued listening to his orders.

Two Days Later...
“Come on, Katsu. Wake up, it’s almost dawn.” Ryuu ushered, gently shaking him awake. Katsu remained unmoving. “Hey… It’s our turn to patrol the Kaguya Compound. Hurry up.” He insisted. Katsu groaned, snuggling deeper into the covers. Paperwork was littered on top of him, “What’s the point? They're not planning anything.” He groaned. “You don’t know that. Come on, if you’re not going to listen to the Mizukage’s orders, at least listen to our sister’s.” Katsu hummed, contemplating his words. His brother sighed, “I made you coffee.” With that, a smile grew on Katsu’s face. He began to stretch and slowly sit up, pages falling off his futon as did. “Thanks, Little Brother.” He said, gratefully accepting the coffee cup. “Mm-hmm. What is all this stuff anyway?” Ryuu asked as he began to clean their room, picking up the pages sliding off Katsu’s bed. “Leave it! It’s nothing.” Katsu panicked.

He immediately dropped them, “Uhm, okay? Are you hiding something?” Katsu frantically shook his head. “Hmm… I wonder what Miyuki will have to say about this.” Ryuu innocently mused. Katsu flinched in fear, “Okay, okay! It’s background checks on some people.” He confessed. “Background checks?” He nodded, “Some of the people on our squad are remnants of extinct clans and have enough experience and an overall profile to rival those of us in the Rakurai ANBU. It’s all very suspicious.” Katsu pointed out. “Does Miyuki know?” He shook his head, “You know how she gets. Once she’s curious about something, there’s no stopping her. She’ll interrogate the Mizukage if she has to.” Ryuu folded his arms in thought, “Hmm… Good point.”

Katsu asked him to keep it a secret until he could find out more, and Ryuu reluctantly agreed. Once dawn arrived, the non-identical twins began their walk about the Kaguya Compound. “Is it just me, or is the atmosphere around here getting kind of tense?” Ryuu asked his brother. It had been almost 8 hours, and heading for noon. He shook his head, “That’s not tension. Look, over there.” Katsu pointed to a nearby crowd of Kaguya Shinobi. They were gathered with their weapons in the air as they cheered. “Let’s check it out.” Ryuu said, and the two hurriedly jogged over to see what going on.

A Kaguya Shinobi stood on a platform above the rest of the large crowd, “So, the Mizukage thinks he can keep us here, hey? Well, we’ll show ’em we're worth fearing!” He declared, raising a fist to the air. “Yeah!” The crowd of 50 cheered. Another Kaguya man joined him, “I heard he thinks we're savages who need to be kept on a leash. Well, we’ll show them who’s savage, am I right!?” He shouted out. “Yah!” They continued. “This is not good.” Ryuu feared. Then someone from the crowd added, “They don’t think we deserve tough missions! Well, I say we kill them all and see!” The elderly yelled. “YEAH!” Katsu gulped, “It’s bloodlust.” He quivered. “Oh no.” Ryuu sweat dropped in dread. Then the first man shouted out, “I heard they think we’re too weak to compete. That we’re out of control, and will get ourselves killed. They even have spies amongst us, making sure we don’t do anything stupid… Well, I say let’s kill off the Hidden Mist and take the Mizukage’s head before charging on to the next village!” He spat. The crowd boomed, “YEAH! Kill them! Kill them!” They chanted. “How did this happen?” Katsu was baffled. “I don’t know… But we have to warn the Mizukage!” Ryuu shouted. Katsu nodded, “Agreed. You warn the Captain. I’ll inform the Mizukage.” Ryuu nodded, “Right!” With that, the two ran off, the crowd continuing to get riled up for battle.

Once far enough, Ryuu used his Enhanced Wind Speed ability, seeming to fly over the ground as he raced in search of his sister. Katsu, on the other hand, created a flat disc under his feet and used it to hover over the ground and reach the Mizukage in time. Ryuu reached Miyuki first. She was practicing Water Ninjutsu at the base of the Haurutsuki Island. “Miyuki!” Ryuu called in a panic. She released the wave of water she was manipulating and watched as Ryuu came to a hockey stop in front of her, “What is it?” She asked in seriousness. “Katsu gave the signal! They’re attacking!” He frantically answered. “Calm down and tell me everything that happened. We need to get to father, now.” She sternly instructed. Ryuu took in a deep breath and agreed, explaining everything as they raced up the mountain to inform their father.

Meanwhile, after reaching the Mizukage’s office, “Excellent. Inform Head Tadashi and have all the Rakurai troops assemble.” Lord Yagura instructed. “Excellent, Lord Fourth?” Katsu curiously inquired. “Yes. Order your father’s forces to launch strictly a counterattack. Head for their Clan and find out where they plan to attack. Let the Kaguya Clan minimize a few threats near their Compound first. Understood?” Lord Yagura coldly instructed. “H-hai, Lord Yagura.” Katsu bowed before walking away. Using a green orb, he flung it once outside the door. The orb contained all the information needing to be relayed to his father, and would reach him a lot sooner. With that, he headed for the Kaguya Compound on his Hover Disc.

Down on the ground, and on his way to Haurutsuki Island, was Akio Hozuki. Much to anyone's surprise. “Hey, Ice Princess… Yeah, I know I’m being informal and all, but there's something I gotta tell you. I just feel like we’ve grown so close over these past few weeks, especially since you finally caved in and told me your name. Anyway, yeah... Not funny. This is serious. Which is why I have to tell you this thing before it's too late and I lose you forever. Please don't be made at me...” He sighed, coming to a stop. “It’s no good. She’ll kill me if she ever finds. Heck, the Mizukage will kill me when he finds out. This is treason!” He told himself, getting panicked. He had been torn between keeping his mission a secret, ever since forming a bond with his Captain. He knew that if he didn’t tell her, she would likely die in the after math of the coming war. But if he did tell her, he would likely die on the counts of defying the Mizukage. As he battled between his decision to walk on or turn back, he spotted a large, glowing green disc, flying overhead. Upon closer inspection, he realised it was his squad's Strategist. He stood crouched down on it, staring forward in a serious, yet anxious way as he headed for the Mountain of Thunder. Akio gasped, “Miyuki.” Without a second thought, he began chasing after the fading green light, cutting through the mist.

Katsu’s intel orb reached their father before Miyuki and Ryuu did, and he immediately called on his forces for an emergency assault. “Shizu, put the Island civilians on lock down and get our Medical Division mobilized. Lieutenant Osamu, get the Water Ninjutsu Squad ready. Zuko, I want your men handling the frontlines at my side. Lady Kaiyo, broadcast our assault plan to all troops, and use your orbs to link up with each member. We plan to counterattack.” He instructed. “Hai!” His wife and leading troops nodded, running out the door to complete their tasks.

Just then, Miyuki and Ryuu burst into the mission briefing room, “Father!” She exclaimed. He walked up to them with a hand out, gesturing them to calm. “I know. Your brother has sent the orders for the counter assault.” He formally said. “Counter assault?” She asked in disbelief. “But we can stop this now, while they’re still gathering up the rest of their Clan.” Ryuu added. Their father shook his head, “We are to counterattack. That is the Mizukage’s orders.” They were taken aback.

“Miyuki, I want you leading the Water Ninjutsu Squad. Katsu will head up communications between those on the battlefield and the others alongside Lady Kaiyo. Ryuu, your job will be to battle on the frontlines protecting the Medical Unit along with your mother.” His father instructed, both hands behind him. “What!? No. I’m more suited for protecting the Medical Unit and helping them heal the injured. Let Osama handle leading the-” Her words where cut short, “Miyuki! That’s an order. Your chakra should be reserved for flooding the district while we box them in and get the troops out of there on Kaiyo and Katsu’s signal. Understood?” His tone was firm and unwavering. She bit down on her words, feeling intimated. She gave a curt nod. “Flood the district…” Ryuu realised. “Good. We don’t have much time. Kaiyo is already getting the message out to the rest of the troops and will head the Supply Squad from there. The Supply Squad, along with other Earth militant users the Mizukage provides, will box in the district they plan on attacking, while the Assault Squad launches their counter attack. On Kaiyo’s signal, we fall back and retreat to the single opening left, making sure to keep the enemy at bay. Finally, on my signal, the Sabotage Squad, which consist of Water Ninjutsu users, will send a flood from the Kaguya district, straight into the only opening of the boxed in battlefield. Katsu will be communicating to your squad, Miyuki.” Their father explained.

“Do you really expect our troops and all the attacked civilians to make it out alive?” She asked in a low, condescending tonr. “No. The district the Kaguya plan on attacking consist of militant Shinobi with kekkei genkai of various dying clans within the Hidden Mist Village. Lord Yagura wants those numbers cut short, and the Kaguya to be worn from battle before our attack.” Tadashi  bluntly answered. She kept her head low while Ryuu did his best to stare blankly at their father, clutching tightly to his tight fists. “This is the way of the Shinobi World. Killing them means saving more than the lives needed to be sacrificed. Heed those words and remember what you fight for.” Ryuu averted his frustrated gaze. “Now get out there, and prepare to fight!” Their father demanded, and with a quick nod, they agreed.

Tch! How could he be so cruel...” Ryuu asked as they gathered their weapons. “Who? Our father, or the Mizukage?” Miyuki plainly inquired. “Both!” Ryuu countered, frustratedly sheathing his two blades. “It’s just the way things are. Anyway, come on. Let’s go.” She said, unimpressed by his tantrum.

They sprinted down the mountain, getting ready to head to their designated areas and meet with their troops when Katsu hopped off his Hover Disc and landed in front of them. “Katsu. Status Report.” Miyuki instructed, “The Kaguya are gathering their forces and heading for the Eastern gate. They’ll reach the next compound in about twenty minutes. Kaiyo-Sensei instructed me to link up with the Supply Squad and head with Ryuu to reach the district in the next half hour. The three squads aren’t ready yet.” Katsu explained. “Tch! Darn it!” Ryuu exclaimed, before suddenly dashing off. “Wait, Ryuu!” Miyuki called out. “Sorry, but I can’t wait around and let innocent people die!” He called back before using his White Lightning enhanced speed to charge down the mountain. “Tch… Ryuu!” She stomped in frustration. “Miyuki, it’s no use. My Communication Orb can't even catch him at that speed. We need a new plan.” Katsu told her.

She growled before taking in a breath and calming herself, “You’re right. He’s heading for the Kaguya District, which is my Sabotage Squad’s rendezvous point. I’ll go after him. You get ready to handle the Supply Squad.” She instructed. “Look at you, taking charge.” Katsu smirked. “Just link up with me already.” She playfully ordered. ‘Hn. Already did, sis.’ He smirked from his folded arms. She shook her head, ‘I’m way too used to you sticking your chakra into me.’ Katsu chuckled at her complaint. “Get moving, and don’t tell dad.” She said aloud. He nodded, before seeing her dash down the mountain.

Before having the chance to run over the lake, she heard the sound of splashing footsteps. A silhouette was approaching, and stopped at the lake’s edge, “Ryuu, thank goodness you came to your senses.” She said in relief. “Miyuki?” She was taken aback, confused by the sound of the voice, “Bullets?” He ran up to her, panting heavily. “How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that? I’m your Captain. And what are you doing here, you could get in trouble with the Haurutsu- my Clan.” She corrected, remembering he doesn’t know her clan name. “Look, Ice Princess. I need to talk to you about the-” She interrupted his stern tone, “Not now. We’re in the middle of a civil war, and I need to find my brother before he gets hurt.” She anxiously explained.

“Then… The Kaguya are attacking now!??” She gave a concerned nod, “Yes! I’m sorry, but I have to go.” She began walking passed, when he grabbed her wrist, “I’m coming with you.”

She gave him a sympathetic look, “It’s too dangerous. You should get your orders from the Mizukage. He’s retreating the Regular Forces as we speak. This is a job for the Rakurai.” She explained more seriously. “No. I don’t care about any of those things. All I know for sure, is that I want to go with you. I want to fight at your side, Miyuki.” Her eyes widened. She raised a hand to her chest, her heart processing his words. His expression softened. He gently took her hand and interlaced their fingers. He raised their hold near his face as he spoke, “I’ll protect you with my life. You can count on it.” Her eyes fluttered, heat rushing to her cheeks. She then remembered where she was heading, “Oh no. Ryuu!” She realised, running out his hold and into the mist. “Wait! Cap! What about the-!” She cut him off again, “What are you waiting for? Come on!” He stood in surprise for a moment. But then he ran on after her, excited by the fact that she, in her own way, was saying "yes."

Ryuu charged passed the Kaguya District, and spotted the back line of Kaguya Clan members leaving their Compound. Ryuu narrowed his eyes, unsheathing his largest sword, ‘No matter what the sacrifice... I’ll protect them all with my life!’ In that very moment, sparks of white static flickered in his irises and went undetected as he dove into the last of the enemy line. “HEEYAH!” He declared, striking the first blow on his unsuspecting enemies with his White Lightning Blade.

Akio and Miyuki panted heavily as they stopped to catch their breath. They were on the opposite side of the Kaguya District. “We have to… Keep going.” She panted out. “Yeah…” He panted out before looking up, “Whoa.” She looked up too, “What's-? Whoa…” she realised.

The entire district had been emptied during what was once the busiest time they'd patrol. “It’s like a ghost town.” He realised. She narrowed her eyes, “No time to admire the scenery. We have to get to my brother.” She said. “Right, to Blades we go!” The two resumed their race to reach Ryuu, ‘Just hold on... No matter what, I won’t let my brothers die!’ Unknown to her, purple sparks flickered around her eyes, and with a renewed will, she raced on.

Back at the base of the Mountain, all three of the large squads stood firmly in front of their leader. He gave his speech, “Today, we fight the most feared Clan in the Land of Waves Nation. Take heed, many of you will not escape their brute force or the flood we create to stop them. But you will be remembered with honour. You will have saved your home, and this Village from the barbaric tyranny that is the Kaguya Clan.” Katsu stood alongside his Sensei, Lady Kaiyo, at the forefront of the Supply Squad. “Where’s your brother and sister, Katsu?” She curiously inquired. “They're-! Uhr... They went on ahead to get a layout of the battlefield. It's bound to get messy out there, if we're not careful.” He said, trying to mask his concerns. She shrugged, “Alright... I kept my Little Flower at home. I felt it best to leave her under a Sleeping Genjutsu, until this is over. After all, I want to be the first thing she sees when she wakes up.” She smiled, acting perked up. Katsu didn't pick up on it though.

“Kaiyo-Sensei... How do you know you’ll make it home to her? I mean, Master Daichi he…” He bit down on the bitter remembrance of his former master. “I know, because I have to.” Katsu look up to her as she further explained, “Protecting the ones we love is what drives us to protect the rest of the world. It’s why you’re standing here beside me, isn’t it?” She smiled sweetly to her student. He stared at her for a moment, and then looked to his father with a serious expression, ‘I will protect them. No matter what happens... I won't lose!

Sparks of green flickered around his eyes, and his father ended his speech with a final declaration, “Now then… Prepare to fight!”

~A/N: *Raises Kunai* Yaaaah!~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

133K 4.6K 43
Nobody knows what's going on in Kakashi's mind, not even him. He's been for some time in the Anbu now, but he still feels as lost as he was when he f...
84.6K 1.9K 30
Tsukiko had had it rough. Living with her slightly psychotic mother was hell for her and she had scars to prove it. She knew who her father was and w...
392K 11.8K 42
"You cannot escape your past, no matter how hard you try." Kakashi Hatake and Yumika Tsuchida are old classmates who happen to get reunited in Kirig...
944 84 18
A young girl from a dying clan of Sage Jutsu Masters doesn't really know what she's fighting for, but after a chance encounter with Team Minato, she...