Moonlight House (Book 2, Lons...

By moudenes

Moonlight House, the "it" place to eat, have a drink, dance to great live music and meet new people, becomes... More

Chapter 1 - The Club
Chapter 2 - Purple
Chapter 3 - Surprise
Chapter 4 - Flairtending
Chapter 5 - Roommates
Chapter 6 - Safe
Chapter 7 - Sommer
Chapter 8 - Glow
Chapter 9 - Chocolate
Chapter 10 - Damaged
Chapter 11 - Crush
Chapter 12 - Sous Chef
Chapter 14 - Tea
Chapter 15 - Key
Chapter 16 - Reasons
Chapter 17 - Compensation
Chapter 18 - Tried
Chapter 19 - Second Date
Chapter 20 - Sleep Talker
Chapter 21 - Red Blur
Chapter 22 - Birthday
Chapter 23 - Glass
Chapter 24 - Confessions
Chapter 25 - Dinner
Chapter 26 - Five
Chapter 27 - Grounded
Chapter 28 - Deli
Chapter 29 - Pink
Chapter 30 - Stitches
Chapter 31 - Back
Chapter 32 - Schedules
Chapter 33 - Movies
Chapter 34 - Truth
Chapter 35 - Next
Chapter 36 - Presents
Chapter 37 - (Un)Happy New Year
Chapter 38 - Flutters
Chapter 39 - Answers
Chapter 40 - Bed and Breakfast
Chapter 41 - Stars
Chapter 42 - Empanadas
Chapter 43 - Braveheart
Chapter 44 - Fifty
Moonlight House - The Playlist

Chapter 13 - Imperfect

4.1K 263 11
By moudenes

ERIN

As I enjoy my morning cup of coffee, my brain replays the great night I had last night. Matt came to pick me right on time and honestly, I thought about cancelling. The minutes before, after Sam left, left me in an internal debate on whether I was doing the right thing. I just met Matt, and I didn't even know if the whole thing with his girlfriend was the truth. But the moment I opened the door and saw his kind smile all doubts disappeared. Even more when he handed me a box wrapped in newspaper and looked embarrassed.

"I'm sorry for the less-than-ideal presentation. I didn't have wrapping paper at the studio. Don't even think I have any at my apartment. Luckily I still had tape."

Inside the parcel was a fashion doll that made me laugh immediately. A mini me, in an all-black leather outfit and sporting light purple hair, stared back at me.

"This is amazing! Thanks!" I said while kissing his cheek. "Where did you get this?"

"As I told you at the club, today I shot for a toy catalog. She was part of a set of five. I called the marketing department of the toy chain to ask if I could keep her. It was handy because I pretended that she was you and felt less lonely while working. She isn't great at conversation, though."

"Do you always talk with your merchandise?" I laughed.

"Sometimes," he winked at me. "Are you ready to eat? I only had an instant cup of soup and I'm starving. I think you will like where I'm taking you. Cesar makes huge sandwiches and dinner platters."

"You got my attention at sandwiches. Adam always says that I can eat a rock as long as it is between two pieces of bread." A thought dawned on me at that moment... Adam... "You called my brother for tips, right?"

Caught red-handed he just shoved his hands in his jeans' pockets and grinned. "I want you to enjoy yourself, so I asked for help. I didn't call him, but he was standing at the host booth when I was leaving the club after I had lunch there. I introduced myself and told him I invited you out for a bite. He threatened me with murder if I put my hands on you without your consent and then gave me some ideas."

I pick on how he doesn't call our situation a date. "I wouldn't have expected anything different from my brother."

"I don't think he likes me very much, but I understand him wanting to protect you."

I've heard those words enough. Growing up, whenever a date came to pick me at home, Dad would receive them with his usual kindness while Adam would be shooting daggers from his eyes at them. One of my dates even threw up in the bushes in front of our house. He got a 'talk' from Adam at school and then freaked out when he saw my brother in the living room when he came to pick me. Hopefully he's not scarred for life as the poor thing was only 14 years old back then.

"Don't believe that Adam doesn't like you. After what happened to me, he's been more alert than ever. In fact, I think you scored points by asking him for advice." Matt nodded and his stomach made a growling sound. "Oh shit, you are really hungry and I'm delaying things. Come, bring me to the bread!"

We arrived at a casual restaurant bustling with activity. The place was full of amusing characters and I waved at some of our regular clubbers enjoying a bite. We managed to get an empty table all the way in the back and I enjoyed looking through the food selection on the laminated card.

"Did you clear the air with your friend?" Matt asked looking at me over his menu. "I feel I messed up something on that night."

"Noah went through a small heartbreak and none of it is your fault. We had a talk and we are back to being friends. I'm sure we'll be back to being close friends as we have always been. He's my brother too and I love him very much, but if I haven't developed feelings for him by now, I don't think I'll ever will."

"But he's not bothered that you live with Sam?"

"Another brother. Sam basically grew up at my house. His parents are in the music business and travel a lot. He stayed for long periods under my parents' care. You can say that we've been roommates since we were six years old. Noah also bunked with Adam and Rory sometimes."

"Rory is the bartender, right? Still getting the hang of all the names and the relation to you."

"Yeah, he's the club's bartender and is only a year younger than us. I admire him so much, you know? He walked one day into the kitchen and announced that he wasn't going to college and was going to bartending school. My parents supported his decision, but Adam threw a fit, said he was throwing his life away. I could see it working. He was a popular guy in school and did these little juggling tricks to impress girls. After finishing school, he went on to win many flairtending competitions and Adam had to eat his words."

Matt placed his menu aside. "I did pretty much the same as Rory to the dismay of my father who wanted me to become a dentist like him. I always loved photography. When I was younger, I took a paper route on my quest for independence and saved the money I earned to buy me a camera. I would bring it everywhere with me while delivering the newspaper in case I came across something worth photographing. I took some serious courses after high school and got hired as an assistant in a studio until I could afford my own. What about you? Singing lessons and all that jazz?"

"Not at all. It's something I enjoyed doing since I was little. Noah started a garage band when we were in high school and asked me to be the lead singer. We thought we were the best thing on earth, especially after getting hired for some small gigs."

"The crowd at Moonlight House certainly appreciate your show. Do you also perform original songs besides covers?" He asked right before a server came to take our order.

"I've written a few songs, probably they are crap and I'm also a chicken when it comes to sharing them with other people. Noah has begged me forever to try at least one during the show to see how people react. What if they hate it?"

"Then you can say that you tried it. Right now, you only have the assumption that your songs won't be accepted, but what if they are? I've always believed that I should give things a go. I will never be able to please everybody with my art, but I don't like living not knowing if things could have worked out."

Matt's words made so much sense. I didn't feel like rushing to send songs to Noah, but at least they made me give the option a serious thought.

"Matthew..."

An annoyed crease appeared on Matt's forehead as he stared at whoever was behind me. I turned around and saw a woman striding towards us. She was beautiful and her tight clothes looked right in all places, but her nasty attitude shadowed it all. His face then filled with a mix of anger and hurt.

"It didn't take you long to get over me. Where did you find this piece of trash?"

"He found me when you were busy fucking his friend. He is too decent, smart and good looking, so I couldn't pass the opportunity to date him. You don't come across good guys like Matt often."

Matt's mouth hung slightly open as I held his hand over the table. The woman looked as if she was close to burst into flames.

"My deep gratitude to you for cheating on him. He's one hell of a lover, so you really let that one go. Hope you are happy with your loser."

It wasn't until that moment, that I realized how close I got to getting a slap on my face. The people around us noticed the exchange and were staring. She seemed to be looking for a comeback, but changed her mind and left.

"I have so many feelings running through me," Matt said. "I'm so sorry. That was so embarrassing, but is it bad that I want to congratulate you for pissing Wendy?"

"She has figurative balls for coming to the table and talking to me like that when she doesn't know me. Don't ever tell Adam about this. He'll begin a rant about how the purple hair makes me look trashy," I laughed and Matt visibly relaxed.

Something compelled me to act and I scooted my chair towards him, then cupped his face and gave him a peck on his lips. He looked at me with surprise.

"You... You kissed me..."

"You deserve it," I smiled at him.

"Are you okay with this? It's much more than I expected from tonight," his honest concern warmed my heart.

"I'm okay with it. Don't you worry. I feel in control."

We spent the rest of the evening talking about happier things and enjoying the delicious food. In exchange for treating me to dinner, I brought him to my favorite frozen yogurt place where we continued the fun mixing and matching toppings.

He brought me home right after and, as promised, kept his hands to himself. We stood in front of my door and I took a moment to appreciate his looks. His light brown hair needs an urgent haircut, and his left eyebrow is bushier than the right. His eyes are a very light green and when he smiles, he gets little wrinkles around them. He is taller than me, but not by much, and even though he has a slim body, there is a hint of love handles over the edge of his jeans. He is imperfectly perfect...

I kissed him again. Just the same as I did at the restaurant. A small kiss with no promises.

"I will call you tomorrow," he said while holding my hands.

But last night, I already had a sweet message from him, thanking me for the fun and peaceful night.

My coffee finished, I look at the clock and realize that I need to wake Sam up for work. My intention becomes unnecessary when I hear the front door opening and Sam comes in, wearing last night's clothes and grinning.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

268K 5.1K 32
#1 in couple 08/20/23 #3 in college 07/12/23 #3 in college romance 07/06/23 #2 in spicy 07/24/23 Emily Caldwell was a normal girl, living with her be...
63K 2.5K 22
friendships & feelings.
16.1K 261 22
Two besties join influencer city but find love along the way, what happens when old flings get in the way
48.4K 3.7K 189
Dear Future Husband, Hey, it's me, the love of your life.