Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

Great Tree Moon:

284 7 8
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Byleth:

Right after the Imperial forces were defeated by the joint efforts of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus and the Leicester Alliance, Byleth was forced to go and join Claude to play politics.

She was a bit concerned in all honesty with how things would go once they meet with the five heads of the main houses in the Alliance, since Byleth was going in with the impression that these were a group of opportunistic people, based off of how both Claude and Lorenz had described them.

So, Byleth had gone into the meeting expecting the worst to come. However, that never happened. Byleth and Claude were meet with a surprisingly large amount of support from Houses; Edmund, Goneril, and Ordelia. House Gloucester seemed to be happy as well with things, but they weren't exactly given much of a choice in the matter, Lorenz had explained that thoroughly to his Father. Once Byleth and Claude laid out the plan to them they were all more than happy to comply with them, by sending them the resources and troops they would need, as well as utilizing the Alliance wartime funding.

To summarize, it was a complete success.

After the meeting with the heads of the Alliance Byleth and Claude went to visit Riegan territory.

"I can't believe things went by as smoothly as they did" Claude said happily, "I was expecting at least a bit of apprehension, but... No" he said, "They really believe we can do this" he added.

Byleth nodded, "I know, I was mentally preparing myself the whole was here for there to be strife between us and them" she said, "And that we would have to convince them" she added, then paused for a moment "Though I suppose us conquering the Great Bridge of Myrddin was all the proof they needed" Byleth said.

Claude laughed, "Who knew all it would take to finally get the Alliance on the same page is by having to beat the hell out of the Empire" he said, "If that were the case then we could have done something about it way sooner" he added.

"Is that you, kiddo?" A voice called out; Claude froze then turned around.

"I have returned, Nardel" Claude said, there was something about his tone that he was using it sounded a bit off.

The man, Nardel looked confused for a moment then a flash of realization fell over his face, "Oh, ah Master Claude. It's you. I mistook you for one of the local children. My apologies" Nardel said.

Claude smiled at the man, "It seems you have adjusted to your work here. Our recent strategy was successful, thanks to you" he said.

"I was a bit concerned when House Goneril's army intervened from the East" Nardel said.

Claude shook his head, "Count Gloucester must have requested reinforcements from them" he sighed.

Nardel nodded, "Yes, and they have that young general who won acclaim from his battles in Almyra..." he said, "Regardless, they showed no signs of seriously wishing to attack us, and merely fulfilled their obligation to House Gloucester" he added then paused for a moment to look at Byleth. "Now then... who is this lovely lady?" Nardel asked.

"This is my friend, who I had join me at the round-table conference" Claude said, then turned to Byleth "Byleth, this is Nardel, that retainer Judith was talking about" he added.

Byleth nodded, "Nice to meet you" she said with a slight bow.

Nardel laughed a little, "Hm, how polite. I've heard good things about you from Master Claude" he said.

"As you can see, he wasn't born in Fodlan. Still, trust me when I say he is highly capable" Claude said.

Nardel nodded, "True. In fact, my capability is my only redeeming quality" he said with a laugh "I hope you'll continue to look after Master Claude, Byleth" he added.

Byleth nodded, "Of course" she said.

Claude's face turned slightly red, "Hey, I'm not a child" he said defensively.

Nardel laughed "No one said you were Master Claude" he said, "There is nothing wrong with someone having your back" he added.

Claude nodded, "I suppose you're right" he admitted.

"Of course I am" Nardel laughed, "Anyways how long do you intend to stay in Riegan territory?" he asked "Should I ask the maids to prep two rooms for the night?" he added.

Claude shook his head, "Nah, it's best we head back to the monastery already" he said "The Kingdom was a bit apprehensive about this one not being there" Claude added while gesturing to Byleth.

Nardel nodded, "I see" he said then turned to Byleth, "It was a pleasure meeting you miss Byleth" he said "You'll probably be seeing more of me in the future" he added.

Byleth smiled at him, "I figured as much" she said, "Thank you for your hospitality" she added.

"I'll be in touch" Claude said to Nardel then turned around towards the exit of the Riegan Estate, Byleth followed him.

Dimitri:

Dimitri was pacing the cathedral; Glenn had kept him up telling Dimitri how close they were to having the wrenches head and that he better not screw it up. There was still no Lambert or Lady Patricia, but Dimitri was grateful for that since Glenn was being an absolute nightmare lately.

Dimitri heard someone enter in the Cathedral, "Your Highness" they called out.

Dedue.

His faithful companion.

"What do you want?" Dimitri hissed, he remained pacing the cathedral.

"Your presence is required Your Highness" Dedue said, "Byleth and Claude returned from Riegan territory and requested a meeting" he added.

Dimitri's pacing faltered for a moment, "I don't care" he said then began his pacing once again.

"Dimitri" Dedue said softly, Dimitri flinched a bit at the tone "It's important that you come" he added. Dedue paused for a moment, it looked more to be hesitation.

"What is it?" Dimitri hissed.

Dedue seemed to be thinking it over still, then finally he spoke "Rodrigue mentioned that they have possible information for our next battle" Dedue said.

Dimitri stopped once again and looked to Dedue, "More Imperial soldiers for us to kill eh?" Dimitri said with a dark chuckle then began walking to the exit of the cathedral with Dedue following closely behind him.

When Dimitri and Dedue entered the Cardinals room the meeting had already begun. "It all went about as well as it could have. Each lord has agreed to provide us with soldiers and supplies" Claude said.

"I'm convinced you were able to convince all of those scattered nobles to help us" Judith said, "I thought they would quarrel about how much support they should each provide. That's what they usually do" she added.

Claude nodded, "Well, Count Gloucester took the initiative in taking on responsibilities" he said, "I presume that was because you spoke with him in advance, Lorenz" he added.

"I merely explained the situation at hand, and my Father nearly followed your lead, Claude" Lorenz said, "It was because you had Byleth there to represent our eventual fight against Rhea. My Father is a pious follower of the Church of Seiros, but even he knows that Rhea has gone too far" he added.

Claude laughed, "I don't doubt it. I wasn't under the impression it was my personal charm that unified everyone" he said then turned to Byleth "Thanks for that, by the way. I hope you don't feel like I used you... Because I sort of used you" Claude said.

Byleth shook her head, "Don't mention it" she said.

Claude had a slight frown, "I appreciate that. We don't have time to be picky about our methods" he sighed. "But be honest. You're having a hard time adjusting to your new role, aren't you?" Claude asked, "As wielder of The Sword of the Creator, it's undeniable that you're special" he added "I think you should be more confident in yourself and use your position to the fullest" Claude said.

Dimitri glanced over at Byleth, she seemed to be taking Claude's words into account, "Now is hardly the place to be concerning over such things" Dimitri said challengingly to Claude.

By the looks of Claude wasn't in the mood to argue with Dimitri, "Sure Dimitri" he replied and left it at that.

The room was quiet for a moment the tension had grown and the room grew silent waiting to see if Dimitri would lash out on Claude like he did to Byleth during the last moons strategy meeting.

Dimitri felt something coming to rise.

Shame?

Maybe guilt?

No, he couldn't have those types of emotions anymore not if he wants to rid Edelgard from her head.

Before Dimitri could respond to Claude, Gilbert began speaking most likely as an attempt to change the atmosphere of the room. "We have received some information from our spy" Gilbert said, "It would seem the Empire is gathering troops at Fort Merceus" he added. "This is undoubtedly in response to us taking the Great Bridge of Myrddin" Gilbert said, "Their numbers are more than double ours. We believe that the Emperor herself may be leading them" he said hesitantly while glancing over at Dimitri.

Dimitri sat there quietly, Finally. His chance to take her head has come, he won't fail them now that he is so close.

"The three military forces will be clashing at Grounder Field" Rodrigue stated.

"How fitting that it was the site of the Battle of the Eagle and Lion" Claude said sadly.

Byleth sighed, "Just like five years ago..." she said softly.

Dimitri frowned, he knew she was going to pose a threat at him getting Edelgard's head, he knew what he had to do. "If you wish to indulge in nostalgia, do it elsewhere" Dimitri snapped and Byleth ignored it.

Rodrigue shook his head, "I'm afraid that the difference in military strength is far from negligible. While we are elite soldiers, I am still uneasy about this..." he said.

Gilbert nodded, "If possible, I'd like to request reinforcements right away" he said, "I'll try some of the Kingdom houses that have yet to choose the Empire of Dukedom, for military support" he added. "I suppose that is all we can do for now" Gilbert sighed

"It's hard to believe that this decisive battle will take place at Gronder Field... I imagine that place is full of memories for all of you" Rodrigue said.

"We won the Battle of the Eagle and Lion back in the day. It seems like a lifetime ago..." Mercedes said.

"I can't help but remember even though, I wish I didn't " Ashe sighed.

"Our feast after the battle... I remember it well. We all had so much fun together" Ingrid said sadly.

"No! please stop it" Annette shouted, "I finally put all of that out of my mind..." she added "This isn't right there our friends! We used to study together. We shouldn't be fighting them" she sighed.

Sylvain shook his head, "Why not march up to Her Majesty and remind her of that? Oh, that right... Because you want to live to see tomorrow" Sylvain said.

"Tell me, boar prince" Felix hissed "Do we stand a chance?" he asked.

Dimitri paused for a moment thinking over his question, if they stay with the Alliance the chance for them winning was greatly increased... But he needs Edelgard's head, and he won't get it if he stays here. "Who knows..." Dimitri replied.

Felix frowned, "If we lose, we'll have died for you. I hope you know that" he said.

"That's enough Felix" Rodrigue called out "We must focus on the battle ahead" he added.

Dimitri looked at everyone at the table "Make your peace before we depart" he said his eye wandering the table then landing it's gaze on Byleth, "It's kill or be killed out there" he added, She frowned at him in response.

"Your Highness..." Gilbert called out "Do you feel no hesitation about killing your former friends?" he asked.

"If they must die, I will kill them. Nothing could be simpler" Dimitri responded.

The meeting continued, about other things that had been happening around the monastery and then finally it was over, and everyone began to file out.

"Your Highness?" Rodrigue said, while approaching Dimitri who had remained seated in his spot, "Usually you are first to leave" he said, "Is something the matter?" he asked with a concerned look on his face.

"Rodrigue, we need our military force to leave from the monastery tonight" Dimitri declared, "We should go to Fraldarius territory in the meantime, till we fight at Gronder Field" he added.

Rodrigue was silent for a moment, "Your Highness, that is not a wise decision" he said seriously, "We need the Alliance's help just as much as they need ours" he added. "Dimitri, if we leave it will be seen as an act of aggression and will possibly lead to us having to fight them at Gronder Field as well" Rodrigue said, "Are you prepared for that?" he asked.

Dimitri let out a dry laugh, "I am prepared to kill them" he said, "I told you all earlier" he added.

Rodrigue frowned at him, Dimitri was a bit taken aback this is the most displeasure he's ever seen Rodrigue show towards him. "Your Highness, I understand why you might want to leave and fight on our own but... it's not smart we won't stand a chance" Rodrigue said.

Dimitri shook his head, "We'll manage" he said, "Now alert the others to prepare to leave" he declared.

Rodrigue looked down, "... Of course, Your Highness" he said quietly then left from the room leaving Dimitri alone to think about the order he had just given out. This was the only way to get Edelgard's head, Dimitri was certain about it. Even if it meant killing those that he had spent the last moons fighting side by side with, Dimitri would do it he owed it to the dead.

Byleth:

Byleth went through her daily routine, she went to the strategy meetings in the morning, then during the evening she spent her time training with Felix and Ingrid and then went to dinner with them. After dinner Byleth went to her room for the evening to turn in for the night. However, that plan was cut short when she heard a loud banging on her door.

"Byleth open up" The voice shouted, Byleth was certain that it was Felix, so she got up from her bed to open the door.

"Felix?" Byleth said questioningly as she sung the door open.

"Byleth the boar's gone insane" Felix said, his brows were furrowed.

Fear crept over Byleth, her mouth felt dry "What do you mean insane?" she asked, part of her was worried that Dimitri may have snapped and gone on a murderous rampage.

Felix shook his head, "Sylvain just told me Dimitri gave an order for all of us fighting to the Kingdom army to go back to Fraldarius territory" he said.

Relief fell over Byleth she was glad that Dimitri wasn't out on a rampage in the monastery but then realization hit her. Why are they leaving the monastery? Byleth looked up at Felix, he was staring at her processing what he had just told her, "Why would Dimitri do that?" she asked.

Felix shrugged his shoulders, "He is willing to do whatever it takes to get Edelgard's head" he sighed, "And since you and Claude are opposed to it he is willing to fight you guys as well" he added while avoiding eye contact. Byleth knows what Felix means when he says that they will be crossing blades. Despite all the harsh words Felix has said to and about Dimitri, it is undeniable that Felix's loyalty lies with him. "Please talk some sense into the boar" Felix said drawing Byleth out of her thoughts.

Byleth nodded, "Of course" she says, "Will you please tell Claude as well?" she asked "He's most likely in his quarters by now" she added, Felix nods then turns around and disappears into the distance of the night.

Byleth leaves from her room, she goes straight to the stables guessing that would be the most obvious place for Dimitri to be at as of right now. Sure, enough once she reaches the stables there, he is with Gilbert and Rodrigue standing beside him.

"What is the meaning of this?" Byleth asked as she approached them, looking to Gilbert and Rodrigue for answers, she already knew what Dimitri would say. She wanted to hear theirs.

"His Highness thinks it's best for us to part ways from here on out" Gilbert said, he looked away from Byleth's gaze, "We have a spit opinion on things, so it's best for us to achieve our goals separately" he added.

Byleth stood there for a moment, "You mean over killing Edelgard" she said, "Your forces aren't enough on their own to take on the Empire" she said, "You need us as much as we need you" she added.

Dimitri frowned at her but didn't say a word, "I'm sorry Byleth, but... This is how things need to be" Rodrigue said softly, he had a sad expression over his face. Byleth thinks he's finally accepted that Dimitri might not come back from this.

"I see" Byleth says then turns around, "Know that we will not go easy on you out there" she adds as she begins to walk away, she sees Claude approaching as she leaves.

Claude's brows furrow and he grabs Byleth's wrist to stop her from continuing to leave, "Byleth what's going on?" he asks.

Byleth shakes her head, "The Kingdom army has decided to split from our ranks" she said angrily.

Claude's eyes grow wide, and he looks over to Dimitri, Gilbert, and Rodrigue "Is this true?" Claude questions.

"It is" Rodrigue said.

Claude let go of Byleth's wrist, "You will have to kill us in order to kill Edelgard" Claude said, he stood directly in front of Dimitri, "Can you do that?" he asked tauntingly.

Dimitri frowned down at Claude and crossed his arms over his chest, "Without hesitation" Dimitri replied.

Claude nodded, "So be it then" he said and turned around "We will see you at Grounder Field" Claude added as he walked away.

Byleth followed Claude, once she was a good distance away from Dimitri, Gilbert and Rodrigue, Byleth stopped in her tracks. She failed.

She failed so badly.

All she wanted to do was protect everyone so they wouldn't have to die in a senseless war, but it is so hard to do it when Dimitri insists on putting them through hell to get Edelgard's head.

But as much as Byleth wanted to blame everything on Dimitri she couldn't, Byleth was to blame as well. Maybe if she hadn't protected Edelgard, and in some off chance she survived Dimitri's attack then maybe Byleth could have explained to Dimitri what the reasoning for Byleth fighting against the church, but then again if she had done that she wouldn't have even know Edelgard's reasoning for fighting them.

No matter how hard the choice she made was she knew it was the only option, she just must bear with the consequences from here on out. Everything that could have gone wrong did, and now she just needs to work twice as hard to make sure that those fighting for the Kingdom army make it out of this battle alive as well.

She owed it to them.

Author's note:

Hey everybody! We'll as you can probably tell I have written a shorter chapter this week which I'm sorry about by the way, I meant to do this chapter completely different from this but I got the idea and I liked it better than what I initially had planned so I went with it. Anyways since it's shorter I'm just going to end up publishing it today, since it seems kinda messed up to have it waiting for three more days and the publish a super short chapter. Oh but the next chapter will be published on next Thursday (Not this Thursday)as usual at about 6:00 P.M. roughly, anyways I hope everyone is doing well! and if you have any questions feel free to ask! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 30 5
The Fall of Garrag Moch Monastery, Year 1180 had been a disaster and full of the unexpected. But lets follow a different flow in the time stream. In...
42.9K 814 26
Hello and welcome to my pit of boredom - Part Two!! I love all the people that supported me during the making of my first book, and I really hope thi...
1K 139 15
In a city below us, a hidden fourth house resides. When you and her friends go searching for it and meet the underground world of Abyss, trouble spar...
21K 553 26
As the new female professor takes the job of tutoring the Blue Lions, everyone was filled with joy. But as months have passed Dimitri starts to feel...