Caught in the Breeze [FF Reno...

By BBblue95

A bit of a drabble / fic. You work for Shinra in one of their offices assisting the Turks with paperwork. Yo... More

Part 1: Another day at the office
Part 2: Hey Firecracker
Part 3: Her
Part 4: Searching for you..
Part 5.1: Cat and Mouse
Part 6: Mouse Trap
Part 6.1: A strong pull to you
Part 7: Scratching the Itch
Part 8: Butterflies in my stomach
Part 9: You're a Turk, Reno
Part 10: Lunch and a Smoke
Part 11: Chit Chat
Part 12: Date Night

Part 5: Be brave little mouse

804 22 18
By BBblue95

--- (Y/N)'s POV ---

You step through the crowd. Navigating to your exit. Rubbing the sweat from your palms on your jacket, you prepare yourself with a deep breath.

Pushing on the door, you walk outside. Feeling the breeze hit you in a comforting chill. Blanketing your body with the sweet smells of fall. You take in the cool air and straighten your posture.

Your heels click the pavement as you walk. An occasional crunch of the fallen leaves under you sends satisfying waves through your senses. A small breeze blows your hair. You grip your coat tight and round the corner.

The gazebo wasn't what you expected a normal gazebo to look like. It was quite large and had a wind barrier wrapped around it that could be rolled up in the warmer months. This also made it a sort of privacy screen for onlookers. Can't see in. Can't see out. So you wouldn't know who was occupying the place until you entered.

The smell of smoke tingles your senses and prickles at your thoughts. You reach for the cardboard pack in your pocket. Taking out a cigarette in preparation for your small break. You hold it in between your fingers, fidgeting with it as you walk. The birds chirping in the trees surrounding the path. You stare up and admire the sweet music. You take another sip of your coffee. Feeling calm and having your walls lowered for the peaceful moment. You step into the gazebo.

Benches lined the hexagonal area. A heater present in the center and silver ashtrays nailed to the posts. No one in sight. You reach for your lighter. 'Is that cinnamon? I swear I smell..'

"Wait.. where is it? I could have sworn I.. oh no.." you talk to yourself. The run-in you had with Tseng earlier... You must have dropped it somewhere in the foyer. Shit.

Panic sets in. You search your pockets again and sigh upon not finding the one tool you needed.

"Yo. Didn't expect to see you here. Forgot something?" You turn around and see Reno sitting with one leg bent up on the bench, leaning against the corner post, taking a drag of his cigarette, and scrolling his phone. 'Yup cinnamon..'

'He must have seen my panic. Oh, great job (y/n). Way to go. A cluts and now you can add forgetfulness.' You think to yourself.

Turning to look at him. You stare. "Oh. Hey Reno. Didn't expect to see you so soon. Um yeah... I kinda lost my lighter." You smile and rub the back of your head in embarrassment. 'The way he's sitting. His shoulders.. his abs.. his legs.. his... OH GOD, HE'S LOOKING! LOOK UP! LOOK UP!' You scream to yourself as you catch yourself checking him out.

Reno looks up at you with a smile.

'Damnit. Why did you lie? You stalker.. you literally followed him. There's no one else here. You're gonna have to ask. Don't forget what Rude told you.' Your mind races.

"Didn't know a girl like you smoked." He chuckles in return. He motions to you to come over to him while not moving from his spot.

Walking in his direction you play with the cylinder of tobacco in between your fingers. Nervously you say "We all have our bad habits, I guess."

He chuckles at your response. "Sounds about right."

Reaching his left hand into his pocket he grabs an engraved zippo. Opening the top and lighting it up, he extends it in your direction.

You place your cigarette in between your lips. Your eyes widen a bit as you lean in nervously to the offered flame. He pulls the lighter closer to him toying with you.

"Hey.." you stare and giggle. "No keep away."

Smirking, he shrugs and stays still. You light your smoke and take a puff in enjoyment. He stares into your eyes watching your movements. You pull back nervously.

"Thanks." You smile and nervously laugh a bit.

"Always glad to help a damsel in distress. Now come on. Sit. I won't bite. Too hard that is.." He stares at you with a raised eyebrow and that sultry smile and pats the spot next to him. You smile at his comment. Obliging him, you sit. Facing his direction as you relax with an inhale of smoke.

"Names (y/n) by the way. Never got the chance to introduce myself." You ash your cigarette and finish off your coffee. You set the paper cup down on the bench.

He looks up at you from his phone. "Well then. Nice to formally meet you (y/n)." With a smile now painting his face he puffs his cigarette.

He sits up and rests his elbows on his knees. Grunting slightly at the movement. "So. What brings you here? Stressful day? Mean boss? ..Boyfriend troubles?" Side eyeing you at his last question.

"Breaktime." You place your left hand on the bench as you take another drag.

"Ah. I see." He states.

"Oh. That's right. I almost forgot. Rude said if I bumped into you to let you know there's a meeting at 1 pm with Tseng and to not be late."

"Ah shit. Alright. Thanks for the word. You can tell him I'll be there." He says.

You both sit in silence for a few minutes occasionally taking puffs of your cigarettes and scrolling your phones. You text Rude and update him.

[He was in the gazebo. I let him know about the meeting. Said he would be there. - (y/n)] You send the message and continue scrolling social media. You get up to throw away your empty coffee cup and return to your seat.

"So you never answered my question." He says as he takes a final puff of his cigarette and puts it out.

"Which one?" You feel your heart rate begin to climb. 'What question? What was it?' Your mind races and your eyes widen slightly in panic.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" He asks.

Hearing the words leave his mouth you feel like you've been hit by a Chocobo going full speed. You stare blindly at him and know a blush is forming on your cheeks. 'Answer dammit. Just do it. Answer him.'

"(Y/n)? You good? Yo? Hey, (Y/n)" he whistles a bit trying to get your attention.

You come to and nervously smile. Closing your eyes. And waving your hand in front of your face. "Oh sorry. I'm fine. Must have zoned out there for a second."

"Well do you, yo?" He stares at you quizzically.

"I uh. Well. I. Um. No. No I don't." You attempt to communicate your answer.

'Finally, you answered'

A smile crept upon his face hearing the response he was hoping for. "Oh really then? A girl like you not taken? No way. There's gotta be someone." He cocks his head to the side and taps his finger on his knee.

"Well. There is someone.. at least someone I like." You say shyly. 'Oh god, you're really doing this. Deep breaths.'

"Ah. I knew it. Who is it? Tseng? Rufus? Rude? You ARE always around him. Or maybe Sephiroth! That cocky bastard. Come on, tell me." He's acting like a little kid trying to figure out what candy you have in your pockets.

You giggle at his sudden change in mood. "Hell no. Not my type. Absolutely not and biggggg no." You laugh as his eyes widen at each response.

"Tseng is the reason I lost my lighter by the way. Anytime I see him I always wind up bumping into him by accident and breaking something or hurting someone in the process. So he most likely thinks I'm some menace to Shinra. Rufus is just not my type. Rude is one of my oldest friends and I'm just not into him like that. I see him as a brother. And Ewww, Sephiroth? Really. Gross." You chuckle like a schoolgirl. The comical nature of Reno calms your nerves briefly.

"Well then who else could it be? What is your type then? Oh, tell me. I'm on the edge of my seat!" Throwing his hands in the air as he speaks and scoots closer to you.

"Nah. Can't do that. That's a secret. Guess you'll just have to find out." You poke him playfully in the chest accentuating the 'You' and shrug your arms.

Extinguishing your cigarette and putting away your phone you move to stand. He reaches for your wrist. Grabbing it he stares at you. You stare back in awe at him being so forward.

"Alright then. If that's how it's going to be. How about dinner and drinks tonight? Seventh Heaven. 8 pm. I'm buying." He stands up and releases your wrist. Looking down on you.

He's about 4 inches taller than you but he feels like he's towering over you. 'Fuck. His eyes. They are so beautiful..' His cheekbones, accentuated by the red tattoos. You scan his facial features. Noticing his hair hanging in his face you can stop yourself from thinking how soft it must be. Such a bright red. Jawbone is perfect. His lips look so soft.

You hadn't realized how long you were staring or that you had moved closer to him. You were about an inch from his face and just dumbfoundedly staring at him.

You go to move and he grabs your arms lightly.

"You don't have to be so shy. It's okay."

You stare at him again one more time and dart your eyes to the floor. 'Well here goes nothing..'

You look back at him. "Yes." You state.

"It's a date then!" He grips your shoulders lightly and smiles, closing his eyes.

You kiss his cheek quickly and step back.

His eyes open wide at your quick movement.

You back away and exit the gazebo quickly.

You turn back to him and speak "I get off at 5. You know where to find me."

You turn and walk back inside quickly. A blush coating your cheeks brightly as you place your hands to your lips and walk quicker.

Pushing through the door, you return to the crowd and hurry upstairs to the elevator. No stairs this time. Gotta be quick.

Hearing the door open you enter and hold the button to close the doors hoping it'll shut quickly.

It shuts. You breathe out a breath you weren't sure you were holding in. Touching your lips you lean against the back of the elevator.

"I can't believe I just did that.." you smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209 7 1
You know your boyfriend Reno is one of the most skilled fighters in Midgar, but that still doesn't stop you worrying about him. A pretty long fic tha...
16.9K 623 44
Kat, the Turks' newest recruit, is a young woman with no memory of exactly three years of her life. An unrelenting sense of deja vu and a little digg...
20.5K 533 39
~Completed~ Old story- bad writing. Check out my other Hux story. Not sure how this has so many reads so I'm silently judging you for reading ;) Adm...
117K 3.7K 35
(This follows the remake! So spoilers.) Waking up in an old, abandoned church on a flower bed wasn't something Y/n was expecting to happen. Not only...